Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Epiduo + Lymecycline Log

54 posts in this topic

Day 63 (9 Weeks)

I have a giant spot on my chin, weird, as I never break out on my chin. My cheeks are mostly clear now, just 2 or 3 little spots, my forehead is still full of small spots, but the big difference compared to 9 weeks ago is that usually when I do breakout they're half the size as before, and my cheeks and jawline are mostly clear, whereas they used to be the worst area.

Lately my skin is super red! For the first 6 weeks of using Epiduo my redness went down massively, but now it's worse than ever. It's such a strange medication.

4 weeks left until my next derm appointment and the magical 3 months which they promised me would be when my skin would be clear, I still have a long way to go :(

Accutane Log:

Month 1: 30mg

Month 2: 30mg

Month 3: 50mg

Month 4: 50mg

Month 5: 50mg

Month 6: 50mg

DONE! :)

161 Days, 6850mg, 103g per kg.

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Half a Finger?! I was told only to use 'a pea sized amount' for your whole face!

I'm also applying it to my neck, since I'm breaking out there.

lol, or I only would be using a small amount.

Day 72 (10 weeks)

5 days or so ago my skin had pretty much no active spots, just small red lumps but nothing with a green head or anything, at the moment I have three but they're all fairly small.

One thing I've noticed on Epiduo is how your blackheads literally 'push' out, like little tic tacs emerging from your skin it sounds disgusting, once i gently squeezed one to get it out because it looked disgusting but the hole turns red and scars! Leave them!

Once I came home looked in the mirror and there was a whole blackhead just laying on my face after coming out, it sounds disgusting but it's amazing. I have quite a few of these now, even where I previously didn't think I had blackheads, just shows you how deep down and subtly your pores can be blocked.

On the whole things are going good, It's still 3 weeks until the magical '3 months' so hopefully if I stay on track like this I should be well on my way, in reality though I think it'll take a bit longer.

I definitely have seen a 90% improvement though - I can't recommend my regimen enough.

Tips for anyone using Epiduo though.

DONT GIVE UP. My skin was still worse 2 months in than before I used it but it does calm down afterwards!

DO NOT PICK. You will scar worse than ever.

I find to help with irritation (the redness and burning):

Wash EVER so gently, barely touch your face, no more than 10 seconds, only use luke warm water

After washing, gently splash your face with cold water.

Wait 40-60 minutes after washing before you apply Epiduo.

When applying moisturiser in the morning, wait 10-15 minutes (any more and your face will get too dry and irritated), and barely touch once more!

Also most importantly, don't use too much! I did that at first, you don't realize at first, but the irritation from over-use comes weeks after, and takes weeks to then die down.

Again, can't recommend Simple Foaming Cleanser and Aquamol moisturiser enough! They're super gentle and none-comodegenic and suitable for any regimen in the UK!

Hope that my post is as positive next week!

x

Also, after washing in the mornin

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 77 (Week 11)

Well, my forehead is breaking out, again, much smaller spots, but one big one right in between my eyebrows :( Face is still mostly clear though.

My next milestone is Fri 27th, my friends 20th, night out is mandatory. I haven't been out since 5th October, so it's going to be strange, I just hope my forehead clears up a bit by then.

Other than that no real problems, scars are fading slowly, my redness has been getting a little better too, so on the whole, smiles.

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 85 (Week 12)

Two of my biggest blackheads came out the other day, big relief. Also, I've had a giant whitehead on my cheek for about a year, it would never budge, it has started to come out, a tiny bit, so I'm hoping that that'll be gone in a month or two.

I was totally clear from actives but currently have two small new spots on my right cheek and a MASSIVE one on my right side of my right eyebrow which is super annoying. My scarring is still slowly fading but I know that it'll take months before I notice any real improvement with that.

On the whole still happy, my skin is 90% better than before, if you haven't yet tried it, GET ON EPIDUO!

The antibiotics are definitely giving me side effects now though. I find I have stomach acid/heartburn more often than before and after I eat I find I feel groggy and full as if my food is undigested, I actually sometimes can feel food in my throat, I never had great disgestion anyway but the antibiotics are definitely making it much worse - I eat yogurt every day, but its getting bad now. Next month I might ask my derm what he thinks about me taking one every 36 hours instead of every 24, aka a 25% reduction in my dose - has anyone else tried that, I'm hoping it'll alleviate my symptoms a little.

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

I don't have photos no, I've tried taking them but I always end up deleting them, they're too hard to look at, I'm sure a lot of people can relate...

Day 91 (Week 13)

Currently have one big active right at the top of my nose inbetween my eyebrows, and lots of red inflamed blackheads on my forehead which are small though. My two current big blackheads (one on each cheek) are slowly showing signs of coming out, my forehead is still covered with them though (again weird as before this regimen I hardly ever broke out on my forehead).

I didn't end up going out last week as the big one atop my nose came out the day before. The new date I've got in my head is 20th Feb, my 2nd derm appointment, hopefully by then as long as things carry on at this rate things should be better.

Another point I wanted to mention was diet.

For the past 6-12 months I've had a super healthy diet (partly to try and get clear).

I rarely ever eat cake, chocolate, sweets. Never eat Crisps, Chips, etc. I don't smoke or drink alcohol.

I don't drink milk, I only drink unsweetened soya milk. I don't eat cream, cheese, butter, ice cream - only 100g of yogurt each day (aka - low dairy).

I eat 5-10 portions of fruit and veg a day, I eat lots of cinnamon, dried apricots, leafy greens, green tea, berries.

Basically, bar two cups of black unsweetened coffee a day, a square of dark chocolate every now and then and the occasional crack and slice of organic healthy-ish fruit cakes, my diet is super healthy.

Have I cleared up? No. It has not affected my skin at all, it is the same old skin. Therefore if you take my lead, there is no link between dairy, alcohol, sugar, 'unhealthy' foods and acne whatsoever.

My diet does however, keep my weight ideal, keep my energy levels better, and I haven't had even a cold in 11 months - something i definitely think must be related to my diet, when cold/flu goes around, I get a blocked up nose and a bit of tiredness/headache for 24/36 hours but then it doesn't develop!

One thing I think does help though is sun - both of my severe breakouts (October 2011 and September 2009) have happened in Autumn, and then cleared up some-what back into standard manageable breakouts in March/April (well the 2009 one did) - living in Northern England (sunshine is a rarity in Winter) I think natural sun exposure (not tanning or burning just what you receive on a daily basis) definitely helps my skin.

I also noticed whilst working over christmas that the British and Scandinavians definitely on the whole have worse skin than the Italians, Spanish and French. Diet related? Sun exposure related? Perhaps.

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Hi, it's good to hear you are for the most part clearing up, I too am on lymecycline and have been for a while, the antibiotics coupled with a sort of a modified DKR regimen with AHA has cleared me up 90% or so, and it is still improving.

I found the simple cleanser to be really great, first one I ever tried and probably the last one too, however finding the right moisturiser has been tricky. I am fine with my day moisturiser however using Cetaphil at night although moisturising and helping to reduce redness makes my skin really sticky next day despite cleansing, fresh BP and alternate moisturiser. Sort of seems picky but it is really annoying to have soft and clear skin yet not able to feel it without my hand being glued to my face if I try to touch it.

You sound very positive about this aquamol and am considering giving it a try, that is if it is called "Aquamol Emolient Cream" which is the only one I came across browsing sites, not available in most pharmacies so i'd have to ebay it.

Just wondering from your experience wether it is rich and moisturising enough to use as a night moisturiser which would help with calming and redness, my biggest problem nowadays is redness which I have largely got under control. It is just unfortunate i'm genetically engineered for the cold as I get ever so hot very easily even in Winter and tend to flush red as a result.

I hope your social life gets back to normal soon, I feel your pain on that one having struggled with confidence and being social for a long time due to my skin. Having to make excuses for social events I get invited too or even pseudo mandatory ones such as 6th form balls and having a practical phobia of photographs when my skin is spotty or red is really tough, but like I said things are improving, can't imagine i'll be a raging extrovert as soon as I am clear but i'll get there ahaha, best of luck.

Hi, it's good to hear you are for the most part clearing up, I too am on lymecycline and have been for a while, the antibiotics coupled with a sort of a modified DKR regimen with AHA has cleared me up 90% or so, and it is still improving.

I found the simple cleanser to be really great, first one I ever tried and probably the last one too, however finding the right moisturiser has been tricky. I am fine with my day moisturiser however using Cetaphil at night although moisturising and helping to reduce redness makes my skin really sticky next day despite cleansing, fresh BP and alternate moisturiser. Sort of seems picky but it is really annoying to have soft and clear skin yet not able to feel it without my hand being glued to my face if I try to touch it.

You sound very positive about this aquamol and am considering giving it a try, that is if it is called "Aquamol Emolient Cream" which is the only one I came across browsing sites, not available in most pharmacies so i'd have to ebay it.

Just wondering from your experience wether it is rich and moisturising enough to use as a night moisturiser which would help with calming and redness, my biggest problem nowadays is redness which I have largely got under control. It is just unfortunate i'm genetically engineered for the cold as I get ever so hot very easily even in Winter and tend to flush red as a result.

I hope your social life gets back to normal soon, I feel your pain on that one having struggled with confidence and being social for a long time due to my skin. Having to make excuses for social events I get invited too or even pseudo mandatory ones such as 6th form balls and having a practical phobia of photographs when my skin is spotty or red is really tough, but like I said things are improving, can't imagine i'll be a raging extrovert as soon as I am clear but i'll get there ahaha, best of luck.

Aquamol is hard to buy, I couldn't find it, I had to get it through my GP who can give you a 500ml tub (enough to last me YEARS) for free, or if you pay for prescriptions £7.40.

I tried Cetaphil but found it too greasy, to shiny, and not moisturising enough - aquamol absorbs much quicker and doesnt give you any shine, it also moisturizes better than cetaphil or anything i've ever used so would definitely recommend it.

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 103 (Week 14)

The big one atop my nose cleared up but the two emerging blackheads on each cheek I mentioned turned into massive, Mount Etna style VOLCANOES my god it was depressing, haven't had spots that big in a while. Those black heads have now gone though, just left with two big red marks :(

My whole face is looking really red lately it's depressing, I think it's partly to do with how cold it is at the moment, being outside in -8 then going inside to 18-20 degrees seven times a day isn't good, repeated extreme changes in temperature like that really reddens my face.

Currently have one sizable active above my eyebrow :/ It wasn't there this morning, now 12 hours later it's big and noticeable. Wah.

On the plus side, my HC1 Certificate came through which means my Medication is now FREE for a year instead of being £7.40 each time I need more.

I have the hospital in 9 days, so we'll see what my Derm has to say about my 4 months of progress, I'm still occasionally breaking out and still have loads of scars so I can't see him changing my medication to be honest.

The antibiotics are really starting to take their toll on me now though. I have constant headaches, I feel really full super-easily and also have contracted a fungal nail infection (which are common on long term antibiotics), which is just ew.

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 113 (Week 16)

So my dermatologist has told me to stick on Epiduo + Tetraysal for 4 more months. I'm really hesitant about staying on Antibiotics for another 4 months - my side effeects are getting really bad now, dry eyes (I wear contacts), headaches, loss of appetite (i've lost 6 lbs), i can't drink alcohol (causes nausea after one drink. I'll give them 2 more months and then reduce my dosage to one every 36 hours, then 48 hours etc, unless of course these side effects get even worse in the mean time.

Currently have 3 actives, one on my left cheek and two on my forehead sad.png

Scarring is still not fading in a hurry.

Crappy day sad.png

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 120 (Week 17)

Left Cheek active is still there! And I have 2 new BIG ones on my right cheek - my cheeks have been mostly clear for weeks I'm panicking now.

My forehead does seem to be calming down though (touch wood).

Nothing new to report really, I'm starting a 30 day course of Probiotics and doubling the amount of yogurt that I eat to try and counter some of these horrible headaches and nausea that I've been getting which I'm sure is down to my crappy digestion.

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 128 (Week 18)

My left cheek has exploded - two massive spots formed on the pores eitherside and fused to create a super volcano of digustingness which keeps popping and oozing sporadically throughout the day on its own - My god it's awful.

Someone also took a picture of me asleep to try and wake me up with the flash and when I saw it, I literally wanted to die. My scarring is so bad, I hadn't even seen it from that angle for a very long time.

I'm in a dark, bad place right now :(

But we just stay strong, hope, and smile in the mirror each time and pray that tomorrow will be better.

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

:(

I have three new spots on my cheeks coming up :(

Me and my boyfriend just had a little argument about how boring and unsocial-able I have become.

My regimen has stopped working.

5 months in and im freshly breaking out worse than ever.

:(:(:(:(

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Aww thats no good. It is important to make sure your not letting the acne change your social scene. I have done this in the past myself and its not worth it... you need your friends around you and especially dont push your loved ones away. Try and remember that the good people around you really wont take notice of spots, they really see the person behind the acne.

If you think your prescription is no longer working then go see your doctor and switch it up :)

Regime...

Morning

Splash face with cold water

Moisturise w/ Kimberly Sayer ultra light day cream SPF 25

Evening

Remove eye make up

wash face with water

Apply Epiduo

It's hard. I can relate..

I have been avoiding all my friends except one who knows what I'm going through. But I still avoid her as much as I can.

The scars and acne are plummeting my self esteem and confidence to the pit bottom. ARGH

I don't even want to take the public buses anymore and just want to get home asap.

I will stop the oral med if I was you, because it won't do any good to your health.

You should try inputting some vitamins in your diet as I see from your signature you have none. Drink more water, make sure you poo everyday.

All the best to you and I believe we can strive over this nightmare!! Grrrrr

Day 135 (Week 19)

Thanks for the encouraging comments, I'm in a much better mood now, I think last week the grey weather and uni work just added stress and it was all a bit too much.

Right, this week I only have one new small active on my left cheek and one on my forehead, overall better. Face is quite red today, I've noticed it's always at it's least red when I wake up before I wash and moisturize, so I might try using less face wash and moisturizer.

As for taking vitamins, I did that for years and it did nothing - artificial vitamins are unnatural and no good for you - I have an extremely healthy diet and eat masses of fruits, nuts and vegetables which give me my nutrition the natural way :)

1 person likes this

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

If the epiduo+ antibiotic combo doesnt work for you please get on accutane for 8 months or so. Your acne will fade and will not come back as harsh as it wash and maybe its gone forever. You r already have side effects because of the antbiotics you r taken now. Please ask your derm for the accutane, would be my advise.

Day 153 (Week 21)

Sorry for the late update - I've been in Budapest (Hungary) for a while.

My skin is just looking, awful.

It's not so much Acne now, or even blackheads, lately my skin is just really, really red, my scars and marks have been getting redder, my overall skin is getting redder, it's all just looking really irritated - this has been gradually happening now for 5/6 weeks, this past week I haven't been using a cleanser as they made me throw it out at Airport Security (mad.gif ), but it hasn't really made a difference at all.

I don't know what the hell is up with my skin, I've been using Epiduo now for 5 months, the irritation stage should definitely be over!

I'm going to carry on not using my cleanser, even for a 'gentle' one it's very harsh.

Also, on the whole Eastern Europeans have such nice skin!

I've noticed that they do here in the UK before, but my gosh when you actually go there you REALLY notice it - it's not just the lack of acne, because I did see some kids with a bit of acne, but young kids, 13-15, but the vast majority of people have flawless skin - every bus or metro I was on about 95% of the people on there had FLAWLESS skin, enough for me to think 'my god their skin is flawless', and in most cases when someone didn't have perfect skin, it turns out they were a foreign tourist!

I don't really understand why - they all seem to Smoke and Drink more than anyone else, the air pollution is really quite bad, their diet is appauling (they never seem to eat fruit or vegetables, lots of meat, cheese, bread, cakes, butter), and they all love tanning - the only explanation I can give is that it's genetic.

I've often noticed before (I travel a lot) that Scandinavians tend to have bad skin too, and the French and Germans on't have perfect skin either. And as most North Americans have British, Irish, French, Scandinavian or German ancestry, it fits.

Anyway, I'm going to stop using my cleanser - except for maybe once every 4/5 days when I need to shave, because it makes a good foamy soothing shave cream. I'm also maybe going to try using a different moisturizer just on one cheek to see if that makes a difference - of course, if my skin starts to break out again (well, if blackheads start appearing, the antibiotics do a good job of stopping inflammation so that's not too big a worry of mine) I'll start using my cleanser again.

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 161 (Week 23)

Happy Easter Everyone!

Sorry I haven't updated sooner, but, I got Laser Eye Surgery :D

It's SO good being able to see! I have my bandage lenses in until Tuesday though so until then things are sort of cloudy.

I have to wear these plastic eye shields at night so that I don't rub my eyes in my sleep, but the medical tape that I have to tape them onto my face with just will NOT come off my face, it leaves a greasy sticky residue, I'm trying to use as little as possible but it's still disgusting.

I can't wash properly, as I have to make sure my eyes do not get water in them, so its just some light dabbing with a damp face cloth and a little water splashed on my cheeks, that's it, my skin is looking super greasy all of a sudden which I'm guessing is related.

Sin on the whole is red, shiny, and greasy, rather annoying, roll on being able to wash properly!

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 170 (Week 24)

Hey Guys!

So my eyes are fully healed now, my skin is back to being sorta dry instead of super-oily (a good thing)!

I broke out a little the other day, two little spots on my head and a few tiny red lumps on my jawline, which I think is definitely linked to not being able to wash my face as well as I used to!

So it's now week 24, which is 6 months (well, 6 lots of 4 weeks), and seeing how my skin is definitely way better under control, I'm reducing my antibiotic dosage to one every 36 hours (instead of one every 24 hours).

Why?

Oral-Antibiotics are not a long term solution - I've had real bad side effects from mine, Iost appetite, I've lost weight, I feel tired, I have gas etc, and even Probiotics and Yogurt didn't fully help, Oral Antibiotics should only be used to control initial breakouts in my opinion, which mine have done, when I'm back at my dermatologist in 2 months I'm guessing he'll take me off them anyway, but it's better to wean yourself off them slowly, so your body can sort of get used to not being on them and also so that the inevitable slight break out which happens when you come off them is minimalised and spread out over a few months.

Of course I'm scared that I'll break out really badly when I come off them, but I'm hoping it has mostly been the Epiduo and Diet changes which have cleared me up and not the antibiotics - but there's no choice really, antibiotics can't be used forever, I'd rather break out again and stop them than be on them for the rest of my life, because then I can maybe try something else which really works.

But hopefully it won't be like that. I've had friends who used antibiotics and they did clear up their acne completely, so fingers crossed!

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

heyo...since your acne is now mostly gone...have you tried just reducing your topical to only differin? Benzoyl peroxide, for a lot of skins, causes irritation and prolongs the redness. Trust me on that. Please just use the differin...

Anyway, my derm recommended DCL AHA lightening gel with 2% hydroquinone (helping for fading scars)....dude it works like a charm! Give it like a month of application every day and your PIH will seem much lighter! Its only $15 bucks but you have to order it from a derm store online because they don't sell it in normal stores...try it if you want :)

http://www.dermstore.com/product_AHA+Lightening+Gel_23541.htm

and NO, i'm not affiliated with any of these products ;) just giving you my honest opinion!

Hi, im on the same combo, but getting very dry flaky skin :( moisturiser doesnt seem to help... am considering buying aqueous cream as a cleanser and jojoba oil as moisteriser... any advice ?

heyo...since your acne is now mostly gone...have you tried just reducing your topical to only differin? Benzoyl peroxide, for a lot of skins, causes irritation and prolongs the redness. Trust me on that. Please just use the differin...

Anyway, my derm recommended DCL AHA lightening gel with 2% hydroquinone (helping for fading scars)....dude it works like a charm! Give it like a month of application every day and your PIH will seem much lighter! Its only $15 bucks but you have to order it from a derm store online because they don't sell it in normal stores...try it if you want smile.png

http://www.dermstore...g+Gel_23541.htm

and NO, i'm not affiliated with any of these products wink.png just giving you my honest opinion!

Thanks for the advice!

I would like to switch to just differin eventually, but I still have a few blackheads at the moment, and BP really helps keep my oilyness under control, but if in a few months once I'm off the antibiotics completely, I'm definitely going to consider coming off BP too :)

And again with the redness/scars, I'm gonna wait until I've been clear a while before I tamper with my lil regimen, but when I do come to that, I might give that product a go seeing as it's worked so well for you :)

Hi, im on the same combo, but getting very dry flaky skin sad.png moisturiser doesnt seem to help... am considering buying aqueous cream as a cleanser and jojoba oil as moisteriser... any advice ?

I found the best moisturiser for me was 'Aquamol' cream mixed with Jojoba, just put two/three pea sized drops of Aquamol (depending how dry your skin is) and then mix it in your palm with ONE drop of Jojoba. Aquamol is literally the only thing that works for me - (and the only one which doesn't burn like hell when I put it on).

You can get it on prescription too! So it's free if you get prescriptions free :D Just go to your doctor and say how youve got dry sensitive skin and nothing ever works but you tried your friends Aquamol and it's the best thing you've ever used and he should write you a prescription for it there and then :)

Also I get my Jojoba Oil from Holland & Barrett, it's about £9 i think for a bottle but as you're using a drop a day it should last for years, and it's fine :)

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser

Aquamol Moisturizer

Day 180 (Week 25)

Hey Guys,

So I broke out a little, and by a little I mean I have one tiny pimple on my cheek, one tiny one in my eyebrow, and a reddish blackhead on my chin.

:/

Accutane Log:

Routine:

Simple Cleanser