Photo

My Epiduo + Lymecycline Log

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#1 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:23 AM

Long story short, after a year of keeping me somewhat clear, the acne.org regimen has stopped working for me, my skin got so bad, back to the doctors I went who referred me to a dermatologist who's put me on a new regimen:

Morning
Wash with Simple Moisturising Foam Cleanser
Take 400mg Lymecycline (Tetralysal) Oral Antibiotic
Aquamol Moisturiser for occasional use on extremely dry patches

Evening
Wash with Simple Moisturising Foam Cleanser
Epiduo (2.5% BP + 0.1% Adapalene (Differin))

I've never tried a retinoid before, so we'll see how it goes. I'm back in three months for a review. My goal? I leave to work in Paris in 6 weeks, I'd love to have 'somewhat' clear skin by then....

Day 4

Skin has stayed the same, as I expected, the Epiduo I find really isn't as drying as PanOxyl or Duac like I've used before, I've only had to use a moisturiser once on an area about as big as a 5 pence piece. One thing I am noticing though is my face is now Itchy, not when I apply it, but in the afternoon/evening a good 18 hours after I first applied it. Also my current spots are 'crusting/peeling' around the edge of them which is odd, never had that before.

As for the antibiotics, keep getting niggly little headaches, but I can live with them.

Oh, also,my skin feels SO soft! On my clear areas (nose, chin, upper cheeks) my skin has never felt so soft, hard to believe I'm not even using a moisturiser.

I'm fully expecting an initial worsening in kick in anytime between day 14-21, I just hope it's not too bad.

Posted Image

#2 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:43 AM

Day 7.

So, the first 4 days I was applying my Epiduo thinking, wow, I can't feel a thing, what was everyone talking about irritation? I must have super strong skin.
Then, out of the blue on day 5, BURN. it was so scary! To go from 4 days of not even a tingle to a painful burning sensation! I applied half as much the next day and the burning wasn't as bad, but still there.
My breakouts had definitely lessened, but today on day 7 I have 4 new spots, I'm guessing the start of an inital breakout, including one above my eyebrow and one on my upper cheek - places where I hardly ever breakout, where as my jawline which is the main place I break out is still clear.

My skin is so so soft, its unreal, my friend even commented on how soft my skin is to touch.

Been having a few headaches these past few days, whether or not theyre down to the antibiotics I don't know, they may well not be.

I can't get enough of Aquamol moisturiser and Simple Cleanser though, they're amazing, I'd really recommend them to everyone in the UK regardless of their regimen.

I'll be back in 7 days unless there's a major change, fingers crossed my outbreak isn't too bad.

Chin up. Keep on smiling everyone.
Posted Image

#3 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

Day 14

Well, the Epiduo stopped burning around Day 11 and now I can't feel it again, weird.
I have 2 spots on my chin and about 6 massive ones on my forehead - which is weird as before I would never ever break out on my chin and my forehead only rarely - my left cheek is looking pretty clear apart from scaring which I'm happy about, although before my acne always would be on one cheek, then the other would break out as the other cleared (a sick game :( ).
My skin is still feeling smooth, but the dryness has gone away and my skins now actually feeling a bit greasy, I don't need to moisturize anymore. I'm wondering if I should maybe apply a bit more of the epiduo?

Still feeling down, really hating on life at the moment, people are also getting pretty pissed off with me being so boring, not going to Birthdays, turning down any single social event. I had an argument with my mate the other day, so I told him I'm being so boring/depressive lately because of my skin - and I never tell people about my skin issues. Rather than be supportive, he just got angry when I didn't cave and then go. Do people really think I tell them all about my woes just because I'm fishing for attention?
"Oh no one ever mentions your skin, it's not all that bad"
Oh really? Oh well now you've said that it's fine, that's all I wanted - oh wait.

Urgh it's so unfair. When my skin was (pretty much clear) last year I was such a different person. So confident and involved in everything. I hate now being back to the person who has to pysch himself up just to leave the house after looking in the mirror each morning.

My goal/dream is still to be significantly clearer for my Christmas in Paris, (Im working at Disneyland Paris over the holidays!) I leave in 4 weeks, so everyone cross everything they can.
I don't want to be in such a depressive/hating on life mood then because that will totally ruin it.

It's so incredible how much your skin affects your mood. On days when I'm looking clear, or at least perceive it to be clearer than usual, I'm in such a good mood.

Back to topic though - my Lymecycline might be giving me side effects. I woke up yesterday at about 7am (on a Sunday!) in excruciating pain. I was half asleep so wasn't exactly fully conscious, but I remember my stomach was cramping horrendously, it felt like really bad trapped wind, you know the kind which you occasionally get which is so bad you genuinely feel like calling an ambulance because it's so unbearable. Which was VERY strange at that time considering I felt fine the day before and hadn't eaten for hours. I've been feeling generally a bit queasier, so I'm not sure if these are because of the Antibiotic, could be a coincidence, but it could be.

On the whole I'm quite happy with the epiduo - it's already improved my skin by around 20%, i wasn't even expecting any results until around week 5/6. I think I've already had my initial outbreak on my head and chin, where my acne wasn't that bad to begin with, but as I'm expecting a bad initial breakout I'm not going to be too upset/surprised if it does get a lot worse this week.

See you all in a week
x

#4 DeeDeeParis

DeeDeeParis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

Are you taking your antibiotic with food?

#5 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

Are you taking your antibiotic with food?

No, I'm taking it around 10am an hour either side of Breakfast/Mid Morning Snack, how come? I was told although not necessary it is absorbed better on a somewhat-empty stomach.

#6 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

Just a comment on the supplements you are taking... As I have just been put on Lymecycline also, in the instructions is says supplements containing calcium, magnesium and zinc could effect how well the antibiotics work. Might be worth considering. :)

#7 DeeDeeParis

DeeDeeParis

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

well with my antibiotic i have to take it with food and sit up for 30 min after . If I take my pill n then lay down that = NO NO because the pill can absorb in your esophagus causing problems and it won't digest properly.

#8 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:37 PM

Just a comment on the supplements you are taking... As I have just been put on Lymecycline also, in the instructions is says supplements containing calcium, magnesium and zinc could effect how well the antibiotics work. Might be worth considering. Posted Image

Mine says don't take those supplements within 2 hours of the antibiotic, so I take it 12 hours after, but it's definitely worth considering, it's hard finding a B + C Vitamin without Zinc though.

Day 20

I know I'm a day early, but I'm feeling pretty crappy.
On Friday I was so happy, I was clearing so fast, my housemate even commented on it. There were no active spots on the left side of my face, NONE! Just scars, and the ones on my right side were shrinking fast, then over the course of yesterday, bam, 3 new ones on my left side, and plenty of new ones on my right and forehead Posted Image

I've also got a tiny one on the bridge of my nose, and one on the side of my face where my sideburns would be if I had them. I hardly ever get spots on my nose, chin or areas where I shave, theyre usually confined to my lower jaw, cheeks and forehead - I had a spot on my chin and one on my upper lip a week or two ago too (again I never used to ever get them there), so that's strange.

My forehead is looking pretty bad, loads of big blackheads have appeared and seem to be really prominent and inflamed, I'm guessing theyre just sort of pushing themselves out, or at least I hope so, once again it's still not as bad as it was before I started this regimen so I'm not complaining too much, I was just so happy at how fast I was clearing but all of that has undone itself. I'm supposed to be going out on Wednesday night, a night out I've helped organize with the French Society, and was so happy with the clearing, but Im not going to re-clear up within 3 days, so, I might not go now.

22 days until I go to Paris, clear-ish skin by then is still the dream.

Oh also the dryness has now subsided, as has the burning. i only have to moisturize a tiny area just around my dimples and chin once every two or three days Posted Image

x

Edited by gecko333, 20 November 2011 - 05:38 PM.

#9 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

Day 22

it hasn't been a week but I needed to get some thoughts out and just writing them on here helps loads, and hopefully will be good to one day look back and see how much better things have gotten.

Right now I'm crap. I have about 8+ new big spots all over my face, i have absolutely no intention of doing anything social all week, just going into lectures is going to be enough of a mental challenge. Im planning on moving home and just commuting into uni each day for a while because I need home right now. My skins is as bad as it was at its worst before I started this regimen.

Surely by mid week 3 things should start clearing, I've already had an IB, why now am I having another one?
Life just doesn't seem fair. Even the eventual 'your skin will get better soon' argument doesnt cut it. This is my last year of Uni where all my friends are gonna be around, I will never get this year of my life back - and acne is RUINING it for me.

it pisses me off how they havent yet found a reason or cure.
it makes me angry how I'm at such a low point. I hate myself when I'm like this. I'm such an outgoing bubbly person but lately I've been an unrecognisable quiet house-bound unconfident down and sad little, stranger.

:(

#10 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

Totally feel you. I just cancelled plans with some friends I haven't seen forever and was so excited because of the state of my face. I've been on retin a for 11.5 weeks and I feel horrific, becoming a recluse is very tempting. I hate it when your talking to some one and you can see them looking at the broken out dry patches on your face... I know most people don't mean harm but I feel like saying "I can see you looking! Stop it!" We are all there with you, don't give up! X

#11 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

Day 28

So the epiduo burnt horribly for 4-5 days again but then stoped on Day 26, barely feel it now - soso strange. Touch wood ive been having a good few days! Only have a few actives in each cheek and two on my forehead, my red marks from my awful breakout last week are fading slowly but surely.

I cant't recommend Simple Moisturising Cream Cleanser enough, ive tried every other cleasner out there in the UK and this one is so none-irritating and leaves my skin so soft, lots of other UK users out there use it too, its cheap and available in Tesco, Boots and most other places!

Also, my biggest problem before was moisturiser, They all seemed to burn, except Cetaphil which never absorbed and was just greasy, but Aquamol is amazing. Literally its a miracke i wish i'd heard about it before, i think most of the reason my skin is so much less inflammed is mostly due to aquamol. I got it as a sample from my dermatologist, i cant seem to find where to buy it, but i'd really recommend it .

My skin is on the whole calmer, considering i wasnt even expecting any results until week (Day 42) any sort of improvement before then is just a bonus.
17 days until I move to Paris, keep on hoping and praying that things carry on improving until then afin que j'aie peau clair pour ma noŰl franšais magic.

Edited by gecko333, 28 November 2011 - 08:34 AM.

#12 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Day 32

Only a few active big spots on my cheeks - overall big improvement, but this keeps happening and then I break out again, each time a little less severe than before, but none the less.

Anyway - really worried now. I've been diagnosed with a serious infection and have been but onto Doxycycline for a week, and have been told for this week I have to stop taking my Lymecycline (Tetralysal) as part of my regimen. Will this cause me to re-break out :(? I know they're both in the Tetracycline family and it's only a week long course, but still, I'm really worried that this is going to set me back.

Anyone know?
Posted Image

#13 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

Day 35

Sigh. Still breaking out, about 5 active spots at the moment, started breaking out just under my jaw line/ on my neck again.
The epiduo really burned last night, and the skin on the side of my nose is super dry.
10 days until Paris, praying :(

#14 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:00 PM

Day 40

My skin is the worst it has been for a long time - breaking out everywhere.
I hate this!
What is even the point of my derm putting me on this?
If he had just have put me on accutane like I wanted I would probably we clearing up by now.
So down right now.
Literally hitting rock bottom.
ASSEZ.

#15 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

Day 40 My skin is the worst it has been for a long time - breaking out everywhere. I hate this! What is even the point of my derm putting me on this? If he had just have put me on accutane like I wanted I would probably we clearing up by now. So down right now. Literally hitting rock bottom. ASSEZ.

Gecko, trust me when i tell you that accutane is not all its cracked up to be. I've been on it 3 times and each time, acne eventually came back. I am going through some health issue right now that i attribute in part to bad lifestyle choices and to continue use of accutane.

As for what you're going though - it sucks.....believe me when i say i get it (i've cried so many times over my face and i am dreading my own initial outbreak) but give it at least 3 months solid before you throw in the towel. That way if it doesn't work, then you can definitely cross it off your list and know that you gave it a fair try.

As hard as it may seem, live your life (Paris is an amazing opportunity). Also use acne as the excuse to clean up your diet (if you already haven't). I'm making changes and even though they haven't helped my acne yet.....my body is beginning to feel better

Good Luck and Stay Strong

#16 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:42 AM

Gecko, trust me when i tell you that accutane is not all its cracked up to be. I've been on it 3 times and each time, acne eventually came back. I am going through some health issue right now that i attribute in part to bad lifestyle choices and to continue use of accutane.

As for what you're going though - it sucks.....believe me when i say i get it (i've cried so many times over my face and i am dreading my own initial outbreak) but give it at least 3 months solid before you throw in the towel. That way if it doesn't work, then you can definitely cross it off your list and know that you gave it a fair try.

As hard as it may seem, live your life (Paris is an amazing opportunity). Also use acne as the excuse to clean up your diet (if you already haven't). I'm making changes and even though they haven't helped my acne yet.....my body is beginning to feel better

Good Luck and Stay Strong

I sorted my diet out a while ago to try and help but it never did, but I stuck with the changes anyway - no fast food, no processed food, low dairy, no sugar, lots of fishes and vegetables etc.

I have my next appointment with my derm in Early February (which will be the 3 month mark), so I have to stick with it for that long anyway.

I wouldn't so much mind, it's just this is my last year of university and these are the 'best' days of my life, my acne might well clear up in 12 months time but by that point it'll be too late and I'll never have experienced all the things you're supposed to have here....

#17 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

I definitely feel you on not being able to enjoy this last year of uni.....but at the end of the day, that's your choice. I find that when i'm in the moment with friends, i don't have time to think about my acne (only when i'm at home by myself do i tend to fixate). Try to keep a positive spirit the best that you can. Sending positive vibes your way fro the Big Apple! Posted Image

#18 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

Day 44

Well I leave for Paris in a few hours, and my skin isn't clear - in fact my forehead is breaking out really bad and I have what looks like the start of the biggest spot I have ever had on my cheek - a massive dark purple circle about as big as a 5 pence piece with 4 separate pus filled pores within it Posted Image
I'm also worried about what my change of routine will do to my acne, the journey, the stress, the change in diet and everything means my acne always usually gets worse when I travel.

Sigh Posted Image

Also, took the plunge and uploaded a picture (taken on the 10th December - Day 40)

Edited by gecko333, 14 December 2011 - 03:23 PM.

#19 gecko333

gecko333

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

Day 47

Okay, so weirdly my skin has now gone super greasy?! Im not even having to apply moisturiser, just happened pretty much over night.
However, the Epiduo has now started burning so I'm hoping it's in one of its clearing phases now

#20 Vampireninja09

Vampireninja09

Ten hour tomato.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

Haha, I'm still on the super dry stages (Day 46-one day behind) . That's a little unexpected that you're face is suddenly becoming so oily and greasy Posted Image

The epiduo has always been burning for me though. Can't say that I remember it being like this the last time I used a retinoid. Then again it was 2 years ago, haha.