Photo

Healing Acne The Natural Way?

acne natural health zinc cysts vitamin a sebaceous ginseng vitamin vitamins

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 Rockafella

Rockafella

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

Just some quick background info:
I'm 25 years old and have suffered with acne for much of my life. It was a constant menace throughout my adolescence and the various prescriptions of antibiotics did little to help. At one point, I came close to using Accutane but bottled out of it at the last moment because I was terrified of the side-effects. Over the years, my acne has naturally improved, however, I still get outbreaks on my chest/shoulders and the shaving area of my face. I went back on antibiotics (lymecycline) about six months ago (maybe longer) after my third sebaceous cyst operation. I've had one on my throat and two on my cheeks, which all had to be surgically removed. Since taking the antibiotics, I haven't had any cysts, although whether that's coincidence or not, I cannot say.

Lately I've been experiencing some stomach trouble, along with heart palpitations and I have reason to believe the long-term use of lymecycline has contributed to this. I don't want to be taking antibiotics long-term anyway, since they screw up your gut, and there's no way I want to take Accutane. I don't believe my acne is so bad that I'm willing to endure the initial breakouts and side-effects. So I've stopped the drugs for now, and I'm looking into natural supplements. I've used a combo of supplements before and had mixed results but I'm hoping this time I can find the right combination to control my acne and prevent the cysts.

Zinc?

Vitamin A?

Cod Liver Oil?

MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)?

Siberian Ginseng? I've already been taking this for a few weeks for several health-benefits, but I also read it helps balance hormone levels.

If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it!

Thanks,
Wayne

Edited by Rockafella, 02 November 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#2 Guest_beccau08_*

Guest_beccau08_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:51 PM

when i used extra virgin olive oil that stopped my cysts completely i never got any until i stopped using it now i get them every so often.
and i tried zinc as well but didnt stick with it because it made me nauseous like 5 minutes after taking it where i would be on the verge of throwing up and it would last all day.
im about to try african black soap i heard its a great natural solution for acne and ive read great reviews about it.

#3 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Kudos for avoiding the Accutane route.

Zinc is great, but only 2 forms of it. Zinc picolinate and L-OptiZinc are the only 2 I would recommend.
Chromium picolinate is another good one and helps control blood sugar levels.
Cod liver oil is a good source of Omega-3s and has Vitamin A as well.
Coq10 is another supplement I think everyone should be taking.
It's better to get adequate sunlight, but if you think you need the extra help a Vit D3 supplement can be beneficial as well.

I would avoid MSM. It seems to help some people and make things significantly worse for others. You want to be sure everything you put in your body is helping you, not "maybe" helping you.

Edited by chunkylard, 02 November 2011 - 01:48 PM.

#4 SDR WellnessCoach

SDR WellnessCoach

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

I use Turmeric with great results. Neem is also another great option. And no side effects with these. Zinc needs to be taken with food. I tried 150mg a day for a month, did nothing for me. Also tried MSM, that lasted about a week.

#5 FallingAmidstTears

FallingAmidstTears

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:39 PM

Tea tree oil works wonders. It's much easier on your skin than Benzoyl Peroxide.

#6 DeAntonio

DeAntonio

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

when i used extra virgin olive oil that stopped my cysts completely i never got any until i stopped using it now i get them every so often.
and i tried zinc as well but didnt stick with it because it made me nauseous like 5 minutes after taking it where i would be on the verge of throwing up and it would last all day.
im about to try african black soap i heard its a great natural solution for acne and ive read great reviews about it.

The zinc made you nauseous because you ate it on an empty stomach. happens to me if i do that also. you HAVE to take zinc with food, try it next time and you'll be fine.

Edited by DeAntonio, 02 November 2011 - 07:13 PM.

#7 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

A good multivitamin might help as well.

#8 Vinchenzo

Vinchenzo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:34 PM

Drinking green tea. It won't help with existing acne much but it helps prevent new breakouts from emerging or thats what it does for me. Also green just has so many other benefits that you should be drinking for anyways. I use oatmeal grinded into a powder to wash my face along with some tea tree oil mixed in.

#9 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

So what exactly is natural about supplements?

#10 numbaunstunna

numbaunstunna

Natural Healing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Cod liver oil or eat wild caught fish at least once a week. I have read some people using zinc on the forum and having great results. The key here is diet man. Stop taking foods/drinks with High Fructose Corn Syrup/Corn Syrup/Fructose Corn Syrup. Also, take out all dairy foods/milk. See if that helps. You have to find your trigger foods in a systematic way.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:56 AM

What about your diet?

#12 Rockafella

Rockafella

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

What about your diet?

Not too bad, if I say so myself. I do a little binging at weekends but through the week I have a balanced diet. Lean meats, pasta/rice, fruit, soy milk instead of dairy (and very little dairy in general) that kinda thing.

Okay, so far, I've bought some Zinc citrate and a Multi-vitamin. Thinking of adding some green tea pills to that, as well.

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

What about your diet?

Not too bad, if I say so myself. I do a little binging at weekends but through the week I have a balanced diet. Lean meats, pasta/rice, fruit, soy milk instead of dairy (and very little dairy in general) that kinda thing.

Okay, so far, I've bought some Zinc citrate and a Multi-vitamin. Thinking of adding some green tea pills to that, as well.

Have you tried avoiding the soy? And the wheat? Where's the veggies?

Also, the acne in your beard area might not be acne. Have you tried using an electric razor?

#14 Rockafella

Rockafella

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

I don't think Soy is a problem. Besides, without Soy I couldn't drink tea, and that would be terribly un-British of me. :D

To be honest, I don't eat a lot of veggies, except for a few for Sunday roast and maybe a little salad in sandwiches. My bad, I know. :/

Also, the acne in your beard area might not be acne. Have you tried using an electric razor?

Yup, I've been using an electric razor for about six months now. I also apply Nivea sensitive balm afterwards. I definitely get less irritation with the razor, but it's not foolproof.

My acne has been pretty damn good for the past couple of weeks, if I do say so myself. I'm just hoping it keeps up now that I've dropped the antibiotics.

#15 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

I don't think Soy is a problem. Besides, without Soy I couldn't drink tea, and that would be terribly un-British of me. Posted Image

To be honest, I don't eat a lot of veggies, except for a few for Sunday roast and maybe a little salad in sandwiches. My bad, I know. :/

Then you don't have a pretty good diet. And why don't you think soy is a problem. It's a problem for many people. It's extremely common to be intolerant to it. It's one of the worst sources of lectins that harm the digestive tract. And it's estrogenic. All of which can contribute to acne.

#16 Rockafella

Rockafella

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

I don't think Soy is a problem. Besides, without Soy I couldn't drink tea, and that would be terribly un-British of me. Posted Image

Then you don't have a pretty good diet. And why don't you think soy is a problem. It's a problem for many people. It's extremely common to be intolerant to it. It's one of the worst sources of lectins that harm the digestive tract. And it's estrogenic. All of which can contribute to acne.

Dayuuuuum... Even the soya milk isn't sacred?
What's the alternative?

#17 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

What's the alternative?

You have no idea how many people come to this forum thinking they eat well/their diet can't possibly contribute at all to their acne. The very mention of "whole grains" is enough to make us faint.

#18 arabella hope

arabella hope

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:57 AM

What's the alternative?

Almond milk is AMAZING. Rice milk is too.

#19 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

You have no idea how many people come to this forum thinking they eat well/their diet can't possibly contribute at all to their acne.

Haha, I think the same way about people IN this forum. Everyone is at a certain point on the trail to success.

#20 NutritionFrog

NutritionFrog

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Zinc worked really well for me!. i had an oily face and it seemed to slow down the rate my spots were appearing! Id also take a fish oil as this will keep your face in tip top health. Drink LOTS of water, this changed the way my skin looked alot.