Photo

Weaning Off Of 200Mg Doxy

doxycycline antibiotics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

hi friends!

i am currently on 200mg of doxy per day--have been for about 2 months now. I can't say if it's worked or not really, i started taking sprio last week and i think its really helping my skin, but i really want to wean myself off the doxys and just take the spiro. i am worried about getting yeast infections and i am sick of taking these pills everyday.

does anyone have any advice on how to wean yourself off the antibiotics? i am thinking about taking 100mg (1 capsule) per day for the next month, and then doing 1 capsule every other day for another month, and eventually get it down to just once or twice a week...

anyone have similar thoughts/can share?

Thanks!!

#2 PaulH85

PaulH85

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

That sounds like a good way to phase it out, although I'd suggest checking with your doctor in order to make sure.
Apparently, it's also worth taking probiotics as well while you're coming off of the Doxy, although I can't honestly say that I've done that myself when I've finished a course of antibiotics in the past.

#3 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

this is what i did when i was on antibiotics (doxy).

I weened off them after month 4 from 2x a day to 1x a day to 1x every other day and stopped after 2 months.

#4 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

i've taken 1/day for the past 3 days, so far no real issues. i have taken a probiotic everyday since i started them 2 months ago, and it's really helped mitigate any of the nasty side effects that come along with it. i'm hoping that since i'm doing it really slowly, my body will have time to adjust and not freak out. i'm going to put a call into my derm this week to see if that's advisable and to get her thoughts on it. i have an appt in early december scheduled too.

i just really dont want to be taking these long-term, you know?

thanks for the advice guys!

#5 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:58 PM

how long do you plan on taking these antibiotics for?

I think a typical course is 4-5 months.

Also, do you take the probiotic the exact same time as the antibiotic? If you do, it renders one of them (cant recall which one) ineffective

#6 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

yeah i want to be off of them in another 2-3 months, for a total course of 4-5 months, like you mentioned.

my old derm wanted me to ween off of them after a month, but i thought it was too soon, so i finished 2 months and now think its good to ween off them.

i do take a probiotic but NOT at the same time as the doxy--i take it 2-3 hours before or after.

#7 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

yeah i want to be off of them in another 2-3 months, for a total course of 4-5 months, like you mentioned.

my old derm wanted me to ween off of them after a month, but i thought it was too soon, so i finished 2 months and now think its good to ween off them.

i do take a probiotic but NOT at the same time as the doxy--i take it 2-3 hours before or after.

i honestly find it pointless to take antibiotics. They are really only a short-term cure... and more often than not can worsen the acne llong-term. Wish i wasent so stupid and took them when my stupid derm gave them to me.

#8 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

so i talked to the nurse at my derm's office and she said that its recommended to stay on the full prescribed dosage for another month. ugh. i told her i wasnt having issues weaning off the 200mg, but whatever, i'll just do what they say...its only an extra month, right? so instead of getting off them by january, it'll be february. not a big deal really. thank goodness doxy is cheap, right?!