Photo

Help! Blocked pores/Icepick scars

icepick

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 scarface

scarface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 05:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I need some help here. My face has permanent scarring of the icepick type, u could say it looks like orange peel, except the scars are deeper and they look like large deep pores, all over my cheeks.

Problem is, I keep getting blocked pores. Seriously blocked. Every week I take the time to deep clean my pores by using one of those metal rods (blackhead remover) and pressing hard on the affected areas. What comes out is yellow/white stuff that resembles toothpaste when its squeezed out; the texture is soft and is nearly always stringy.

After spending 1/2hr doing this, my face is sore and red so I shave, then use a face scrub (St Ives) then use a face cleaner mask (Neutragena Face Wash/Mask). After doing all that my face feels extremely fresh and clean, but I end up looking all red and bumpy bb_sad.gif .

After a couple of days my pores get clogged up again and I have to repeat the process...tbh, my face looks better from distance when my pores are all blocked, cause the yellow gunge underneath my skin cancels out the redness of my scarring. However, my face feels disgusting.

I do wash my face everyday, so its not that - my face is naturally greasy also. Maybe its my diet, I could look into that. I need some advice about my face, my graduation is coming up soon and I'm also starting a new job in a months time - I'll be in a client-facing role and I need to look my best ph34r.gif <-- perhaps I should become a ninja bb_eusa_wall.gif

Is there anything Im doing wrong? What do u think about using the comedome (blackhead) remover - I mean it does clean out my pores better than any scrub can.

Is there anything I can do about my scars? Someone please help! bb_sad.gif

#2 amnesiac

amnesiac

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 06:35 PM

I am having the same problem on my forehead, i used to be completely clear there and now i am getting clogged pores and blackheads all the time, i don't know what to do

#3 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:29 PM

Try using a mild chemical peel about once a week (for example, 40% Lactic Acid). I use it every couple of weeks and it really seems to help keep my pores clean of debris.

#4 Ravenblack

Ravenblack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:03 PM

For the blocked pores: stay away from all dairy, and, if you are really serious, try some sort of anti-androgen therapy (natural or synthetic). Try Saw Palmetto, Beta Sitosterol, Spironolactone, or Flutamide. Remember dairy is evil!

#5 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:29 PM

People on here have said that St. Ive's scrub causes little tears in your skin. You shouldn't use it on your face.

#6 rustymetal

rustymetal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:10 AM

Ever since I got my three session of smoothbeam I rarely get clogged pores. I do get little capillary dots going here and there though. They come and they go.

#7 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:15 AM

How are you liking the SB, Rusty?

#8 rustymetal

rustymetal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:18 AM

I definitely would recommend smoothbeam for scarred pores, texture, and acne. It's helped on those three things, not on moderate scarring or indentations. I haven't had a cyst since my third smoothbeam treatment 5 months ago. smile.gif (I'm still using retin-a at night and copper-peptides in the day though, to control oil production)

#9 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:24 AM

Thanks.

That sounds good. I have scarred pores and bad texture. I figure anything deeper and I can get a filler.

Are you going for more? What is the maintenence schedule like?

#10 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (scarface @ Sep 10 2004, 04:42 PM)
Hi everyone,

I need some help here. My face has permanent scarring of the icepick type, u could say it looks like orange peel, except the scars are deeper and they look like large deep pores, all over my cheeks.

Problem is, I keep getting blocked pores. Seriously blocked. Every week I take the time to deep clean my pores by using one of those metal rods (blackhead remover) and pressing hard on the affected areas. What comes out is yellow/white stuff that resembles toothpaste when its squeezed out; the texture is soft and is nearly always stringy.

After spending 1/2hr doing this, my face is sore and red so I shave, then use a face scrub (St Ives) then use a face cleaner mask (Neutragena Face Wash/Mask). After doing all that my face feels extremely fresh and clean, but I end up looking all red and bumpy  bb_sad.gif .

After a couple of days my pores get clogged up again and I have to repeat the process...tbh, my face looks better from distance when my pores are all blocked, cause the yellow gunge underneath my skin cancels out the redness of my scarring. However, my face feels disgusting.

I do wash my face everyday, so its not that - my face is naturally greasy also. Maybe its my diet, I could look into that. I need some advice about my face, my graduation is coming up soon and I'm also starting a new job in a months time - I'll be in a client-facing role and I need to look my best  ph34r.gif <-- perhaps I should become a ninja  bb_eusa_wall.gif

Is there anything Im doing wrong? What do u think about using the comedome (blackhead) remover - I mean it does clean out my pores better than any scrub can.

Is there anything I can do about my scars? Someone please help!  bb_sad.gif

I had the same problem. Now my face is scarred.

I did not not know anything about BP before.

The solution is.

After you have squuezed out, try to stop squezing again forever!

But immediately after you have squuezed apply Oxy 5 BP all over your face. Now you will prevent any further sebum build up. Now continue using Oxy 5 regularly till the blackheads do not appear again. Never forget to apply BP even for a day.

My experience with BP

Do not use BP and moistriser seperately. Even Neutrogena non-comodogenic moisturers and BP together have created trouble for me.

The best BP is Oxy 5 cream because it has moisturiser pre-mixed and factory formulated . This never causes blackheads or further problems.

One side of my face is now clear. The other side is still bad with orange peel scarring but new pimples or blackheads are not forming.

Do not stop using oxy 5 even for a day

And here is some information.

The pored scars of small size on one side of my face are closing and skin is smoothing out. The healing or natural re-modelling is possible.

Once the blackheads come out completely after drying up a small open red dot is left. This wll close naturally tightening and levelling your skin.

The texture will improve.

user posted image

contains oil-free moisturisers to help guard against excessive dryness and skin irritation that can occur with acne medications.

OXY 5 advanced formula fights acne bacteria that cause pimples and helps unblock pores that can become clogged by oily secretions

USE EVERYDAY AND NO MORE BLACKHEADS WILL FORM

STAY HOME EVEN IF IT IS A MONTH AND CAREFULLY MONITOR YOUR PROGRESS.

ACNE IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM NORMAL SOCIETY DOES NOT UNDERSTAND!

#11 agua2004

agua2004

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE (scarface @ Sep 10 2004, 04:42 PM)
Hi everyone,

After spending 1/2hr doing this, my face is sore and red so I shave, then use a face scrub (St Ives) then use a face cleaner mask (Neutragena Face Wash/Mask). After doing all that my face feels extremely fresh and clean, but I end up looking all red and bumpy  bb_sad.gif .

I do wash my face everyday, so its not that - my face is naturally greasy also. Maybe its my diet, I could look into that. I need some advice about my face, my graduation is coming up soon and I'm also starting a new job in a months time - I'll be in a client-facing role and I need to look my best  ph34r.gif <-- perhaps I should become a ninja  bb_eusa_wall.gif

Is there anything I can do about my scars? Someone please help!  bb_sad.gif

Clean your face with salicylic acid (at low percentage), then wash your face with plenty of water. After that, take a very hot bath (just make sure you don't burn yourself:P). Repeat the above process every day.

The hot bath will make you sweat a lot (get a supplement of minerals afterwards and drink a lot of water, because when you sweat you lose precious minerals). Both SA and sweating are excellent at opening and clearing your pores. Of course when you sweat you get rid of like 30% of the toxins that are stored in your body, which is an added plus. Do this everyday. Occasionaly if you notice a zit or two use BP (at least that's what I do). That should do the trick.

#12 oldguy

oldguy

moderation

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:43 PM

Hi, when you use a loop (blackhead remover) you should never press hard! That may create scars. Use a hot towel first and sterilize the loop before using it. I will reinforce what the ladies said. Face scrubs are bad for acne. Acne is not caused by dirt, therefore, scrub all you want; it won't help and it will usually make acne worse. I use 40% lactic and it works very well to unclog pores. I usually use it twice a week and leave it on for 10 minutes, but that might be too harsh for some people. A regular salicylic acid peel would probably be the best possible treatment though, as it goes deeper into the pores than anything I know of. Good luck

#13 rustymetal

rustymetal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 03:51 PM

Emmanuel,
I have three more treatments of smoothbeam left, and I intend to go higher on each setting. Right now I'm at 13. I'm not sure what you mean by maintenance?

#14 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:38 PM

After you are done the series, do they suggest you do it a couple of times a year to keep the results?

#15 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:02 AM

clogged pores are non inflamed and do not have bacteria present. Therefore an antibacterial agent like benzoyl peroxide will not help directly. Salicylic acid is probably the best otc chemical exfoliant because it is oil soluble it can help exfoliate the follicular lining.....Sage Skincare (2 and 4%) and Paulas choice (1 and 2%) do bha lotions/solutions that you can apply topically daily or twice daily.

Facial Peels could help too as suggested by others in this thread. You could consider topical retinoids like Tazorac or Differin they work for many people. (personally I hate them - you swap oil for inflammation imo). Some people find that taking high doses of vitamin b5 can help. Then there are systemic prescription meds like anti-androgens and accutane.

#16 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (frances @ Sep 11 2004, 10:49 PM)
clogged pores are non inflamed and do not have bacteria present. Therefore an antibacterial agent like benzoyl peroxide will not help directly. Salicylic acid is probably the best otc chemical exfoliant because it is oil soluble it can help exfoliate the follicular lining.....Sage Skincare (2 and 4%) and Paulas choice (1 and 2%) do bha lotions/solutions that you can apply topically daily or twice daily.

Facial Peels could help too as suggested by others in this thread. You could consider topical retinoids like Tazorac or Differin they work for many people. (personally I hate them - you swap oil for inflammation imo). Some people find that taking high doses of vitamin b5 can help. Then there are systemic prescription meds like anti-androgens and accutane.

Maybe sulphur is the answer for blocked pores.

Clearasil Pimple Treatment Cream - Tinted can help clear up existing pimples. The cream works by penetrating deep into blocked pores where it kills bacteria and dries up oil for up to 12 hours.

Directions
1. Wash face thoroughly. For best results use Clearasil Face Wash daily.

2. Apply Clearasil Pimple Treatment Cream to the areas affected by pimples. Smooth edges to blend with the skin. Massage lightly into the skin morning and night.

3. Wash hands after use.

Ingredients
Active Ingredients:
Triclosan 0.1% w/w;
Sulfur precipitated 8% w/w;
Bentonite 10% w/w.

Also contains:
Ethanol 12% w/w;

Methyl hydroxybenzoate 1.8mg/g, and
Propyl hydroxybenzoate 0.2mg/g as preservatives
user posted image

#17 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:14 AM

Here is a good read about clogged pores and blackheads...

http://www.cosmetics...EFER=SKIN&ID=71

#18 Robert

Robert

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 10:54 AM

Salicylic acid is the holy grail for clogged pores. My results are astounding.

#19 Green_Vegetable_Man

Green_Vegetable_Man

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Robert @ Sep 12 2004, 09:41 AM)
Salicylic acid is the holy grail for clogged pores. My results are astounding.

Thanks Robert, Frances for the information. I am buying this product containing SA.

Oldguy said it should not contain alcohol. This product contains alcohol. What would be the problem?

user posted image

Clearasil Complete Overnight Skin Defence Gel contains Salicylic Acid and Triclosan, two effective ingredients, clinically tested to dry pimples and fight the cause of new pimples.

Directions
1. Wash or cleanse thoroughly first with a product like Clearasil Complete Daily Face Wash and pat dry with a soft towel.

2. Apply Clearasil Complete Overnight Skin Defence Gel directly to pimple prone skin.

3. Do not rinse off.

Ingredients
Water, alcohol denat., propylene glycol, butylene glycol, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, salicylic acid, sodium citrate, triclosan.

Warnings
Test a little on you skin first. A mild tingling sensation may be experienced.

Use only as directed. With sensitive skin, always test on a small area first. Not to be used on infants. For external use only. If rash or irritation develops, discontinue use. Keep out of reach of children.

#20 scarface

scarface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

There are a few things I wish to discuss:-

About the BP gels, yes I've noticed that they stop working for me after a couple days of continuous use...the initial burning sensation dies away with time (probably because my pores are all blocked). I just tried some Neutrogena Clear Pore lotion (with Salicylic acid) tonight whilst my pores are blocked and I felt the burning sensation immediately! bb_icon_eek.gif

These chemical peels, how much do they cost (in UK Pounds) and do I have to get them prescribed? My pores are really deep and wide, the skin doesn't heal anymore so I guess theres no collagen regeneration occuring - somehow I need to kick start it again, to get my face smooth!

The metal loop thing - well. my face is already permanently scarred, using it and applying heavy pressure cleans the pores but doesnt seem to do any further damage...same with the St Ives...I think my face is already ruined bb_sad.gif

I've tried loads of different lotions and medicines, I was on some pills when I first got acne (that was 8 years ago) but I can't remember what they were. Also, been on the Isotrexin and tried Dan's method - that worked quite well for a while, then it's effectiveness wore off.

I figure I gotta keep my pores unblocked to stop my spots from forming.

But what I need to know is, can my face be repaired? Cost is an issue, until I start work in a months time I can't really afford expensive treatment. If I end up having to have surgery I will do it - I really need to regain my former confidence in life.

I'm seriously considering taking photos of my acne and putting them up here if anyone can help me...I'm getting desperate now. bb_eusa_boohoo.gif