Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! Blocked pores/Icepick scars

37 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I need some help here. My face has permanent scarring of the icepick type, u could say it looks like orange peel, except the scars are deeper and they look like large deep pores, all over my cheeks.

Problem is, I keep getting blocked pores. Seriously blocked. Every week I take the time to deep clean my pores by using one of those metal rods (blackhead remover) and pressing hard on the affected areas. What comes out is yellow/white stuff that resembles toothpaste when its squeezed out; the texture is soft and is nearly always stringy.

After spending 1/2hr doing this, my face is sore and red so I shave, then use a face scrub (St Ives) then use a face cleaner mask (Neutragena Face Wash/Mask). After doing all that my face feels extremely fresh and clean, but I end up looking all red and bumpy bb_sad.gif .

After a couple of days my pores get clogged up again and I have to repeat the process...tbh, my face looks better from distance when my pores are all blocked, cause the yellow gunge underneath my skin cancels out the redness of my scarring. However, my face feels disgusting.

I do wash my face everyday, so its not that - my face is naturally greasy also. Maybe its my diet, I could look into that. I need some advice about my face, my graduation is coming up soon and I'm also starting a new job in a months time - I'll be in a client-facing role and I need to look my best ph34r.gif <-- perhaps I should become a ninja bb_eusa_wall.gif

Is there anything Im doing wrong? What do u think about using the comedome (blackhead) remover - I mean it does clean out my pores better than any scrub can.

Is there anything I can do about my scars? Someone please help! bb_sad.gif

I am having the same problem on my forehead, i used to be completely clear there and now i am getting clogged pores and blackheads all the time, i don't know what to do

The significant problems we face in life cannot be solved with the same state of mind we created them.

Try using a mild chemical peel about once a week (for example, 40% Lactic Acid). I use it every couple of weeks and it really seems to help keep my pores clean of debris.

~ Tamara

You cannot perceive beauty but with a serene mind.

- Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

Visit My Claravis Journal

For the blocked pores: stay away from all dairy, and, if you are really serious, try some sort of anti-androgen therapy (natural or synthetic). Try Saw Palmetto, Beta Sitosterol, Spironolactone, or Flutamide. Remember dairy is evil!

People on here have said that St. Ive's scrub causes little tears in your skin. You shouldn't use it on your face.

Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

Ever since I got my three session of smoothbeam I rarely get clogged pores. I do get little capillary dots going here and there though. They come and they go.

I definitely would recommend smoothbeam for scarred pores, texture, and acne. It's helped on those three things, not on moderate scarring or indentations. I haven't had a cyst since my third smoothbeam treatment 5 months ago. smile.gif (I'm still using retin-a at night and copper-peptides in the day though, to control oil production)

Thanks.

That sounds good. I have scarred pores and bad texture. I figure anything deeper and I can get a filler.

Are you going for more? What is the maintenence schedule like?

Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

Hi everyone,

I need some help here. My face has permanent scarring of the icepick type, u could say it looks like orange peel, except the scars are deeper and they look like large deep pores, all over my cheeks.

Problem is, I keep getting blocked pores. Seriously blocked. Every week I take the time to deep clean my pores by using one of those metal rods (blackhead remover) and pressing hard on the affected areas. What comes out is yellow/white stuff that resembles toothpaste when its squeezed out; the texture is soft and is nearly always stringy.

After spending 1/2hr doing this, my face is sore and red so I shave, then use a face scrub (St Ives) then use a face cleaner mask (Neutragena Face Wash/Mask). After doing all that my face feels extremely fresh and clean, but I end up looking all red and bumpy  bb_sad.gif .

After a couple of days my pores get clogged up again and I have to repeat the process...tbh, my face looks better from distance when my pores are all blocked, cause the yellow gunge underneath my skin cancels out the redness of my scarring. However, my face feels disgusting.

I do wash my face everyday, so its not that - my face is naturally greasy also. Maybe its my diet, I could look into that. I need some advice about my face, my graduation is coming up soon and I'm also starting a new job in a months time - I'll be in a client-facing role and I need to look my best  ph34r.gif <-- perhaps I should become a ninja  bb_eusa_wall.gif

Is there anything Im doing wrong? What do u think about using the comedome (blackhead) remover - I mean it does clean out my pores better than any scrub can.

Is there anything I can do about my scars? Someone please help!  bb_sad.gif

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

Hi everyone,

After spending 1/2hr doing this, my face is sore and red so I shave, then use a face scrub (St Ives) then use a face cleaner mask (Neutragena Face Wash/Mask). After doing all that my face feels extremely fresh and clean, but I end up looking all red and bumpy  bb_sad.gif .

I do wash my face everyday, so its not that - my face is naturally greasy also. Maybe its my diet, I could look into that. I need some advice about my face, my graduation is coming up soon and I'm also starting a new job in a months time - I'll be in a client-facing role and I need to look my best  ph34r.gif <-- perhaps I should become a ninja  bb_eusa_wall.gif

Is there anything I can do about my scars? Someone please help!  bb_sad.gif

Hi, when you use a loop (blackhead remover) you should never press hard! That may create scars. Use a hot towel first and sterilize the loop before using it. I will reinforce what the ladies said. Face scrubs are bad for acne. Acne is not caused by dirt, therefore, scrub all you want; it won't help and it will usually make acne worse. I use 40% lactic and it works very well to unclog pores. I usually use it twice a week and leave it on for 10 minutes, but that might be too harsh for some people. A regular salicylic acid peel would probably be the best possible treatment though, as it goes deeper into the pores than anything I know of. Good luck

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. ~Ralph Nader

http://www.nrdc.org/bushrecord/default.asp

Emmanuel,

I have three more treatments of smoothbeam left, and I intend to go higher on each setting. Right now I'm at 13. I'm not sure what you mean by maintenance?

After you are done the series, do they suggest you do it a couple of times a year to keep the results?

clogged pores are non inflamed and do not have bacteria present. Therefore an antibacterial agent like benzoyl peroxide will not help directly. Salicylic acid is probably the best otc chemical exfoliant because it is oil soluble it can help exfoliate the follicular lining.....Sage Skincare (2 and 4%) and Paulas choice (1 and 2%) do bha lotions/solutions that you can apply topically daily or twice daily.

Facial Peels could help too as suggested by others in this thread. You could consider topical retinoids like Tazorac or Differin they work for many people. (personally I hate them - you swap oil for inflammation imo). Some people find that taking high doses of vitamin b5 can help. Then there are systemic prescription meds like anti-androgens and accutane.

clogged pores are non inflamed and do not have bacteria present. Therefore an antibacterial agent like benzoyl peroxide will not help directly. Salicylic acid is probably the best otc chemical exfoliant because it is oil soluble it can help exfoliate the follicular lining.....Sage Skincare (2 and 4%) and Paulas choice (1 and 2%) do bha lotions/solutions that you can apply topically daily or twice daily.

Facial Peels could help too as suggested by others in this thread. You could consider topical retinoids like Tazorac or Differin they work for many people. (personally I hate them - you swap oil for inflammation imo). Some people find that taking high doses of vitamin b5 can help. Then there are systemic prescription meds like anti-androgens and accutane.

Salicylic acid is the holy grail for clogged pores. My results are astounding.

Romans 8:32

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

There are a few things I wish to discuss:-

About the BP gels, yes I've noticed that they stop working for me after a couple days of continuous use...the initial burning sensation dies away with time (probably because my pores are all blocked). I just tried some Neutrogena Clear Pore lotion (with Salicylic acid) tonight whilst my pores are blocked and I felt the burning sensation immediately! bb_icon_eek.gif

These chemical peels, how much do they cost (in UK Pounds) and do I have to get them prescribed? My pores are really deep and wide, the skin doesn't heal anymore so I guess theres no collagen regeneration occuring - somehow I need to kick start it again, to get my face smooth!

The metal loop thing - well. my face is already permanently scarred, using it and applying heavy pressure cleans the pores but doesnt seem to do any further damage...same with the St Ives...I think my face is already ruined bb_sad.gif

I've tried loads of different lotions and medicines, I was on some pills when I first got acne (that was 8 years ago) but I can't remember what they were. Also, been on the Isotrexin and tried Dan's method - that worked quite well for a while, then it's effectiveness wore off.

I figure I gotta keep my pores unblocked to stop my spots from forming.

But what I need to know is, can my face be repaired? Cost is an issue, until I start work in a months time I can't really afford expensive treatment. If I end up having to have surgery I will do it - I really need to regain my former confidence in life.

I'm seriously considering taking photos of my acne and putting them up here if anyone can help me...I'm getting desperate now. bb_eusa_boohoo.gif

For the blocked pores: stay away from all dairy, and, if you are really serious, try some sort of anti-androgen therapy (natural or synthetic). Try Saw Palmetto, Beta Sitosterol, Spironolactone, or Flutamide. Remember dairy is evil!

Oh, well dairy, and any other food does not contribute to blocked pores or acne. It's caused by oil from your pores mixed with dead skin and bacteria. I don't mean to insult anyone btw.

The use of solar energy has not been opened up because the oil industry does not own the sun. ~Ralph Nader

http://www.nrdc.org/bushrecord/default.asp

Oldguy - no worries, I just didn't understand wat u mean!

Update - I just bought 10ml of Salicylic acid peels (14%) from www.perfectskin.uk.com. I hope this works for me, I've never tried peels before but Im in a desperate situation as I have my graduation coming up and Im also starting my new job soon - so I want to look my best!

Wish me luck! bb_eusa_dance.gif