Photo

Low-Glycemic Diet Anyone?

glycemic diet low-glycemic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 beachboy

beachboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:43 AM

Hii everyone!

so, i found on the ineternet some interesting articles about how low-Gi diet can help improve acne...and decided do begin with the diet....

I've been on low-Gi diet for about 2 weeks now, but i still dont see any improvement...

Anyone knows how long it takes to see results???? (cause it pretty hard to stick to the diet Posted Image )

#2 reality

reality

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

Can you share with us what you've been eating?

I just try to avoid high GI foods and it does seem to help my acne. Are you still in your teen years? That might make a difference?

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:45 AM

Yes. That's basic. Although you don't necessarily need to eat low glycemic. You need to avoid high glycemic load meals and that includes drinks and snacks. And you need to consume nutrient dense foods. fatty fish and sulfur containing veggies like cabbage, spinach, broccoli and related veggies, onions, garlic, etc are particularly beneficial.

And yeah it'll take more than 2 weeks to clear your skin. But it might have gotten less oily and inflamed by now.

#4 beachboy

beachboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

so...im 19 years old...suffering from acne for about 6-7 years now( seems like forever!!!)
i'm semi vegan. I dont eat animal meat, so fish and supplements are out of question..

my diet: every morning I make a bowl of Quaker oatmeal old fashiioned with water and a LITTLE bit of soya milk and All Bran.
lunch: romain lettuce, tomato, cumcumber, whole grain pasta or paraboiled enriched rice and some veggy soya meat (little).
at night: BIG apple sometimes 1 slice of whole grain bread (those really dark colored breads)

In my opinion, my diet seems pretty low fat..

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

Yes, it looks to be extremely low fat. It's also made up of a lot of processed food and a helluva lot of grains. Soy breaks many people out, btw. It's estrogenic which helps some people but makes others worse. Often a lot worse. And it damages the digestive tract as does wheat/gluten.

And you eat vegetables once per day in the form of a salad and one big high fructose apple?

A big apple and a slice of bread isn't a low GI meal, btw.

Edited by alternativista, 21 October 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#6 vapor1

vapor1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

so...im 19 years old...suffering from acne for about 6-7 years now( seems like forever!!!)
i'm semi vegan. I dont eat animal meat, so fish and supplements are out of question..

my diet: every morning I make a bowl of Quaker oatmeal old fashiioned with water and a LITTLE bit of soya milk and All Bran.
lunch: romain lettuce, tomato, cumcumber, whole grain pasta or paraboiled enriched rice and some veggy soya meat (little).
at night: BIG apple sometimes 1 slice of whole grain bread (those really dark colored breads)

In my opinion, my diet seems pretty low fat..

You don't need a low fat diet; the right kind of fat is good. Avoid vegetable oils and you can add flaxseeds/flaxseed oil for omega 3s if you are vegetarian. I would get rid of the pasta, bread and soy products. For calories, eat more fats, eggs, beans, etc.

#7 beachboy

beachboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

I'm scared of tryin out the flaxseed...
I tried once the bob's redmill flaxseed for about 2 weeks everyday with my lunch.... I got HUGE pimple around myy mouth afterwards...(bad memories!)
I will try eating eggs...hope it doesn't give my acne :)

@alternativista: i thought apple had a low gi? in most of the sites...apple had very low gi, how come?
and what can i replace pasta and rice?....cuz im very active in sports and i need somethin to fill me up that doesn't give me acne

#8 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

make sure its brown rice though. Rice shouldn't give you any problems, it doesn't give me any, and I eat about 2 and a half cups per day. :P

make sure its brown rice though. Rice shouldn't give you any problems, it doesn't give me any, and I eat about 2 and a half cups per day. :P

#9 beachboy

beachboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

I eat whole grain pasta, cus its cheaper for me :P
I hope it is oke to consume whole grain pasta......

btw electhedead, im a huge fan of the Celtics!

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

^ Sigh. I don't know where to start.

Rice can be ok, but not by itself. And white vs brown isn't necessarily the issue as basmati, even white basmati is lower GI than most other rices, especially those used to make sticky or creamy rice dishes.

There's very little nutrients in your diet as you seem to have replaced real food with a hell of a lot of grain. You listed one meal a day that has much value and that would be the salad.

Whether or not whole grain pasta is ok is individual. But it shouldn't be a big part of your diet. What are you having with that whole grain pasta matters, though. And how much you cook it. The longer you cook it the higher the glycemic impact.

And did you read the label on that 'really dark' bread? whole grains don't make bread 'really dark.' But molasses does.

Try sweet potatoes.

#11 beachboy

beachboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:45 PM

alright, will do! ill try eating sweet potatoes... and how about yams, are they alright to consume?

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

Yes, yams are good too, although if you are in the U.S., then those things you and your supermarket are calling yams, are most likely sweet potatoes. You'd only find yams in markets catering to Asian, African, Carribean and such ethnicities.

#13 beachboy

beachboy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

alriight!! feels great to knowing more stuff i can consume!
tnx alot alternativista! you do know alot about this topic....

if i post my questions related to diet here in the future, will you answer them? :)