Photo

Spiro + Zovia + Doxy = Overmedicated But Hopeful

adult acne antibiotics hormonal acne probiotic red mark rosacea makeup concealer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#41 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

well...

things arent as clear as id like right now. i think its b/c i got my period, i have a nasty cold and ive been traveling. so my period will be over in a few days, i'll be home tonight and hopefully my cold will go away soon! my skin is pretty dry as well...which i guess is b/c of the spiro dosage bump.

i have 2 whiteheads that i popped that are healing on my mouth area and a few under my chin which is weird bc ive never really gotten zits there, and my forehead is a little bumpy. i have a little redness under my eye and i'm not sure what caused it...maybe the way i slept? or i scratched it or something in my sleep...idk. i kind of had too much to drink at happy hour last night and came home and picked at stuff...it sounded like a good idea then, but not really this morning...

overall its not terrible, but its not as clear as it was earlier this week. it seems whenever i travel my skin breaks out...so i think ive fared relatively well compared with other trips. last friday my skin looked fabulous, this friday, its a little broken out. darn period. blah.

hoping these minor spots clear up in the next couple of days. i may even bump my spiro dosage up to 150mg for a few days and see if it makes a difference.

happy friday!

#42 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

well im back home after a hellish day of connecting flights and delays...gotta love air travel during the holidays...right? freaking nightmare.

so my face is doing pretty well, just got a few little dry/flaky spots where the whiteheads were that i popped the other day. i used my sulfur mask and it makes my skin feel so smooth, so that's good. i love the feeling of putting it on--its cool to the touch and it dries quickly...feels so nice!

although i was putting on my finacea tonight before bed and i kind of felt a small bump on my chest...like the beginning of those nasty zits i used to get before spiro. i havent had one like this is a while--like 3 months maybe? i've put a dot of sulfur mask on it to dry it up and get rid of the redness overnight, and hopefully it will go away; most of the time i get small surface things...this one feels deeper but doesnt hurt, which is strange, its just a hard bump.

overall, the last time i traveled and was sick, i came back home and experienced the nastiest breakout. it was like big ugly ones all over my chin and chest. took 2 weeks to go away almost and left some red spots. so overall, i think i fared pretty well..if this one on my chest goes away i should be happy as a clam. (almost)

also, i wanted to say this--i really do believe in NOT PICKING your skin. i have really tried to take a "hands off" approach with it recently and not take action on anything until its really ready to be done. like a whitehead or blackhead that has come to the surface then carefully pop them but...if you start squeezing stuff that isnt ready or shouldnt be touched, its just going to make it worse and make the healing process slower. ive definitely done my fair share of picking, but if its not begging you to pop it, just leave it be. you'll be happier in the long run.

i start my active pills again on tuesday, so here's hoping a full cycle on 100mg will make my skin even better.

#43 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

well i decided to take 150mg today b/c my chest seemed to be breaking out and my forehead is bumpier than i would like...i took 150mg once last week and it seemed to help a little--smooth things out. i start my active pills on tuesday, so i should be good on 100mg for the rest of the week. i want to give the 100mg a chance since ive only been on it for like 2 weeks, but i am thinking that maybe 150mg might be my "sweet spot". if i need to take the 150mg in order to get off the freakin' doxy, so be it!! although, i have noticed that with the 100mg bump, all the little blackheads and bumpiness around my nose area has pretty much gone away. which is nice.

is it weird that i'm stressing out about the holidays coming up? im worried that it will break me out b/c seeing family and everything is stressful and emotional too since my dad is gone this year, and those emotions are like my number 1 triggers for breakouts. i'm trying to keep myself calm and take one day at a time, but its difficult...i also dont want to be walking into family gatherings with zits all over my face either. BLAH. never ending cycle.

im hoping that since i'll be on the beginning of my pack that my skin will look good for saturday and sunday...(christmas eve and day!) but who knows. i have noticed however that i have almost no oil production lately...the cold weather and wind probably doesnt help much either but my skin is def getting dry.

i just would really like to get to the place where clear skin is the norm. SIGH.

#44 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:58 AM

so tomorrow i start my active pills and im hoping things will smooth out once im back on the hormones. its not like my skin looks broken out, its just not as smooth as id like it to be. i took 150mg last night and it didnt seem to do much hahah.

anyway, the chest blemishes seemed to go away and are just small red marks which arent even noticeable really. i have 2 spots on my face which require concealer, but just a dab and im good.

tonight im going to use my sulfur mask and get some sleep b/c i could barely sleep at all last night...maybe like 4-5 hours if i was lucky UGH.

still taking 100mg spiro and 200mg doxy + vitamins until further notice.

#45 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

so i got kind of drunk last night after work at happy hour, and i came home and showered etc and i popped a small whitehead on my chin, then fell asleep with my sulfur mask on my face for probably an hour or so. i woke up and washed it off, then went back to sleep. when i woke up this morning the whitehead was completely gone and the area wasnt even red...amazing! i dont plan on sleeping with the sulfur mask on, but its interesting that it worked so well overnight.

i started my active pills today, so hopefully my skin will hold up for the holidays.

im dragging ass at work bc i stayed out too late and drank too much, so i cant wait to go home and sleep tonight!!!!!!!

#46 alias683

alias683

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

What sulfur mask do you use?

#47 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

i use the proactiv mask actually--it works well and i use it often--at least 3-4 times/week. i also use a sulfur face wash called plexion (but i get the generic cuz its cheaper). i got an Rx for it from my derm b/c my face flushes easily. it seems to have worked at smoothing my complexion and minimizing redness. it doesnt smell as bad as you'd think either! i recommend it if you are looking for something without BP or salicylic acid.

i woke up this morning with a tiny baby whitehead on my chin which i popped and it bled a bit but went away--i didnt even cover it with concealer haha. i seem to get small whiteheads on my chin area that are very small, and sometimes go away upon washing my face or i pop them a they go away in a day or two. its weird.

my skin is also kind of dry, but thats to be expected from the spiro and winter weather.

anyway, i hope everyone has a fantastic holiday!!

#48 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

so i got complements on my skin from my family over the holiday! they said the tone and evenness was really good and i didnt have any big zits like before. my mom said my skin always looked shiny before, and the spiro absorbs all the oil so hurray...guess it worked. it was really nice not having to worry about it and i even went barefaced in the mornings at my aunt's house!!

this evening i felt a tiny bump near my nose and i did squeeze it a little just to see if anything would pop, and this nasty little hard plug thing came out...gross...is that like dried up oil or something? its not a hard bump anymore and is a little itchy but you cant really even see it...i wonder why i get those around my nose area?? what are they? im going to use my sulfur mask to dry it up!

i did notice though that my skin is getting DRY. i bought cetaphil moisturizing lotion awhile back and i never used it bc i didnt really need it, but now i am getting some small areas that are flaking, so i started using it. i love the fact it doesnt smell and its not greasy--it absorbs well and doesnt feel heavy. i will keep using it as the winter gets colder i think!!

#49 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:44 PM

im getting SO sick of taking these doxy. BLAH. my doctor said if my skin is really clear, i can start taking just one a day for a few weeks and then a couple a week and then none. i think im going to stick it out until the end of the year and then start to decrease it come january. i will be SO happy to not have to take them and worry if my stomach will get upset! i ate a salad once for dinner without carbs or protein and BAM...vomited everywhere like 20 minutes later. GROSS. used to happen to me in middle and high school too when i took tetracycline. nasty sh*t.

so today i woke up and had a baby whitehead on my chin where i always get them, and i just popped it and it went away. i noticed i had a small raised spot on my cheek, but no head or anything so i just left it alone. it's pretty much gone away so thats the spiro working i guess.

since my dosage bump i havent really had any of the sore spots i used to get on 50mg. i would have this sore-to-the-touch feeling on my chin and jawline area, feeling like my chin would explode with a massive zit, but nothing would happen. now on 100mg, i dont feel that soreness...im a little more tired but i think that's because of the holidays...stress, food, family...blah blah.

#50 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

BLAH. i seem to be having a mini little breakout. i got out of the shower last night and a spot near my lip had magically erupted, which i popped and its going away--it doesnt hurt or anything, its just slightly raised... i woke up with some red spots on my neck (!?!) so weird, and a few small bumps on my jawline area. its not that my face looks broken out, i just notice these small imperfections more than anyone. i just really want everything to be nice and clear for new years eve. i need to get more sleep i think...tonight im going to go to bed early and hopefully that will help things settle down.

#51 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

well i think things are on the mend. with makeup on your really cant see a lot of the small red marks. my skin is smooth though and i hope it gets better tonight and tomorrow. i took 150mg of my spiro and i think that may be the magical number for me. i am going to see my derm in another month and i think she'll recommend bumping it...its SO much better than 4 months ago. i wish i had taken this stuff sooner...so much money wasted on products that didnt work at all. my pores are much smaller now too, which i attribute to the decrease in oil production.

if anyone is looking for a good topical, or an alternative to BP or salicylic acid, i recommend azelaic acid. its 100% natural and can even be used during pregnancy. it take awhile to work, but it has smoothed out my skin and gotten rid of a lot of red marks on my chest from past breakouts over the last few years. it can itch a little when you start, but its fantastic at evening out your skin tone. its expensive for me, $60 with insurance, but a tube lasts me about a month and a half or so. i use the Finacea gel 15% and got an Rx for it from my derm at my request. BP is just too drying and harsh...plus azelaic acid doesnt stain your clothes or towels. The Finacea gel is prescribed for rosacea, but i think it works just fine on acneic skin.

#52 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

well, happy new year everyone! here's to a MUCH better year than 2011. worst year of my life, easily.

my skin sort of had a little breakout--i think because of the traveling i was doing and all the emotional crap ive dealt with. I miss my dad a lot right now, and i've been pretty emotional the past few weeks with the holidays. that's always my trigger for breakouts...and how this whole saga with my skin even started in the first place.

i had a couple really small whiteheads on my chin where i always seem to get them, and i popped them this morning, and they're pretty much gone. i have a few bumps on my forehead and i strangely broke out a little on my chest, which i attribute to sweaty drunken new year's dancing :) i picked at one last night so it's red now and gonna take a few days to go away i think. thankfully its so cold in boston that i wouldnt want to wear a v-neck anyway. i'm a week away from my period so it could be from that, but i really think its just been emotional stress.

i have to say i really am a lot less critical of my skin now that i've been on 100mg of spiro. it has really helped to even out my skin tone and get rid of the excess oil, and if i get a zit or something, its not those huuuuuge ones. i can deal with small blemishes. i also am so thankful to have smoother skin now. im not afraid of people touching my skin.

i think i am actually going to ask my derm in a month if i can go up to 150mg...i've tolerated the 100mg so well that i think 150mg may be even better for me to prevent even the small stuff from arising and let me get off the effing doxy.

hope everyone has made good new year's resolutions...mine is to be happier :)

#53 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

well...my mom just found out she has celiac disease, which is a gluten allergy. and apparently my grandma had it as well, so i need to get tested for it. i wonder if i have it...i dont seem to be intolerant to gluten, but my chances of having it are MUCH higher that i have a family history. god i really hope i dont. i wonder if i do have it, if a lot of my skin issues have been because of it?

anyway, my skin is super smooth right now--i cant remember the last time it was this smooth, even my forehead which took forever to smooth out. the only thing that bothers me is that i seem to always be waking up with some kind of tiny, little whitehead on my chin...and its always in the same area. SO weird. basically no one would really even be able to see it but me, but its just strange and worth noting to my derm when i see her next month.

the small breakout on my chest is going away but i hate getting those bc i feel like they take forever to go away. they arent those huge deep ones i used to get, but still.

i only have another month on the doxy! then its just tapering off. i hope to be completely rid of taking it by the end of february.

besides the fact its like 15 degrees in boston, i really shouldnt be complaining...compared to even 3 months ago my skin looks so much better.

#54 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

i have 2 baby whiteheads on my chin. it seems like they just popped up over the course of the day. i really dont know why i keep getting them in the SAME area. its all at the bottom of my chin. i feel like this past week i've had one at least everyday. and they are SMALL--people probably wouldnt even be able to see them, but i do and i can feel them. my chin feels kind of sore right now--perhaps bc of the 2 whiteheads?? UGH this is so frustrating, i just want to know why they are surfacing! the rest of my face is super smooth and clear, except for the very bottom of my chin where these little things like to hang out. i def need to ask my derm about this new development.

i am happy that they are big ones, but still. i.dont.like.whiteheads.

i get my period in 4 days so here's hoping these little effers go away

#55 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

things are going ok. i went out last night and got all sweaty dancing, which i think led to a small blemish surfacing on my chest. blah. i also noticed a small bumpy area on my forehead, near my hairline, which i attribute to sweating with makeup on. yuck.

right now, my chest seems to be giving me the most issue. i have 2 that are STILL red marks, and this new one.

i mean i still really shouldnt complain, but it's just the most annoying thing to wake up and see a new zit you didnt have yesterday.

ive only been on spiro for 2.5 months, and its really quite amazing the progress i've made. i am very happy to feel like i have my old skin back...even if i do get an occasional blemish.

#56 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

so things are going pretty well...my skin is so smooth its freaky. i am actually not wearing a stick of makeup right now, and i feel ok...i just think i look better with it on to be honest. i did notice a sore spot surface on my upper lip area in the last hour or so...which is usually a sign of a nice, big pustule that's waiting to pop out. BUT i am going to leave it be, ice it when i get home and put my trusty old sulfur mask on it, and hopefully it will go away/stop it from surfacing but drying it out.

im due to get my period tomorrow, so it makes sense i'd get one. BLAH. other than that, the stuff that was hanging out around my nose--clogged pores/blackheads are all gone, and my forehead is almost all smooth...so right now...i actually dont have any blemishes on my face :) :) :)

my chest has a few small red marks from the ones i got last week, but nothing major.

i just hope this one by my lip doesnt explode.