Photo

Spiro + Zovia + Doxy = Overmedicated But Hopeful

adult acne antibiotics hormonal acne probiotic red mark rosacea makeup concealer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#21 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

day 20:

so far i feel pretty bad today...prob the worst since i started taking spiro because im having a mild breakout...

it could be because yesterday was my dad's birthday and he passed away in february, so i was really sad and upset all day, thus leading to stress hormones surging. i just miss him so much. pretty much all my issues with acne started after he passed away. i think my body changed in some strange way because of all the trauma and grief i experienced. i just wish i could see him again. he was my best friend :(

so yeah i just picked and squeezed at the zit on my chin last night for god knows what reason, and again this morning until it had no more crap inside it. now its red and flaky and kind of hurts since i turned it into a cut...which is ALWAYS what i do. it oozed some clear liquid for awhile, but it stopped and hopefully will heal up in a few days. i didnt even bring my little compact mirror to work because i dont want to look at it all day. just going to do my work and not think about it or pick it or anything.

as of 9:35 am, no more picking, touching, or squeezing anything for the rest of the day.

i just want this week to be over.

#22 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

day 20:

so far i feel pretty bad today...prob the worst since i started taking spiro because im having a mild breakout...

it could be because yesterday was my dad's birthday and he passed away in february, so i was really sad and upset all day, thus leading to stress hormones surging. i just miss him so much. pretty much all my issues with acne started after he passed away. i think my body changed in some strange way because of all the trauma and grief i experienced. i just wish i could see him again. he was my best friend Posted Image

so yeah i just picked and squeezed at the zit on my chin last night for god knows what reason, and again this morning until it had no more crap inside it. now its red and flaky and kind of hurts since i turned it into a cut...which is ALWAYS what i do. it oozed some clear liquid for awhile, but it stopped and hopefully will heal up in a few days. i didnt even bring my little compact mirror to work because i dont want to look at it all day. just going to do my work and not think about it or pick it or anything.

as of 9:35 am, no more picking, touching, or squeezing anything for the rest of the day.

i just want this week to be over.

i looked back on my calendar and it seems like a week before my period is when i broke out last month in october...around the same time im breaking out now in november. it's interesting since i never thought it keep track of it before. i thought spiro was supposed to stop this hormal crap though...maybe i need to give it some time to suppress the hormones?

i'm going to finish out the month on 50mg...i have a derm appointment in a little under a month, so i'm holding out until then. the 50mg was really doing wonders until now...smooth skin, no zits, no red marks...ugh...now another fabulous breakout that i have to contend with--scabs, red marks, makeup...my old routine. why cant my skin go back to the way it was and just be clear like 95% of the time?!?!?

i guess i just need to give the spiro a couple more months to work? i saw results almost immediately and i feel like ive taken 2 steps back.

this.day.needs.to.end.

#23 ilivelaughlove

ilivelaughlove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:30 AM

this is just around the time when i break out too and i am also on 50 mgs and have been so over 3 months now. each month you will get signifiganlty less breakouts but you really have to be patient because its a hormonal treatment. you have to think of it working for your skin like a birthcontrol does which is in the 4-6 month range

#24 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

this is just around the time when i break out too and i am also on 50 mgs and have been so over 3 months now. each month you will get signifiganlty less breakouts but you really have to be patient because its a hormonal treatment. you have to think of it working for your skin like a birthcontrol does which is in the 4-6 month range

thanks for the post poppinpoprocks!! i was beginning to think no one even read this and i was just posting for my own sanity haah (which is true).

i still have a spot on my chin that is dry and flaky and kind of hurts. i put neosporin on it last night which helped to dry it out, so now the skin just needs to heal and the dead stuff flake off. it still kind of hurts a bit, but im leaving it alone and letting it do its healing thing. i'm really hoping its gone by saturday night :)

anyway, have you seen less breakouts the week before your period now that you've been on it for 3+ months? from what everyone has said, it seems like it does take awhile for it to work. i've been really happy with spiro thus far, so i'll keep going for the next few months. thank you for the info!!!

im not asking for skin that is 100% clear every minute of every day for the rest of my life--i can deal with the occasional zit, i just wish my skin would stay clear for more than 3 weeks at a time!!!

#25 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:27 PM

day 21: still feeling like crap.

skin is still recovering from my breakout 2 days ago. things are healing up/drying out, which means there isnt any stuff left in the 2 active zits i had, bc they dont hurt anymore, but now they just look like red scabs and are hard to cover up with makeup--i hate this because i think the makeup just makes it look worse sometimes and it looks like i have small wounds. it feels raw and kind of irritated.

i picked off some dry skin from the sucker on my chin which helps it not look so obvious but it kind of stings a bit... i didnt make the zit bleed (gross) so its not as bad as it could be i guess. i managed to stop myself before it bled or before i picked off skin that wasnt ready to flake off (which ive done many times, and has led to bleeding, re-opening of the wound and longer recovery time) id much rather have a red mark than all this flakiness. it usually looks better after i take a hot shower and ill put some neosporin on it overnight. i'm currently icing it discreetly at my desk to bring down the inflammation and make the pain go away.

i cant believe i never thought to ice big blemishes in the past...it makes things feel so much better...i probably look weird doing it at my desk but whatever, i do notice it helps some. the one on my chin feels better even after doing it for a couple minutes.

i guess everything else doesnt look so bad. the bumps on my forehead went down, so they are not as visible, and the one on my lip is will probably just dry up and go away...

i just want my skin to go back to the way it used to be last year...always clear and smooth. SIGH.

#26 ilivelaughlove

ilivelaughlove

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

i know exactly how you feel my skin is actually pretty good now but becuase of my genetics every time i get a pimple it leaves a hyperpig mark so i have to wear makeup. thats why my main goal is just to get rid of acne all together cause id sure be nice to go without makeup for a while ha hah and yes each month before my period there was signifigantly less breakouts,one month i didnt even breakout at all before that time lol right now is an exact week before my period and i have a minor breakout along my jawline chin area im not at all suprised though cause i had two huge exams in the past couple days and along with my period that makes it even worse :/ its nothing cystic though which i used to always get at this time when i wasnt on spiro. so im really counting on spiro to completely work for me

#27 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

i know exactly how you feel my skin is actually pretty good now but becuase of my genetics every time i get a pimple it leaves a hyperpig mark so i have to wear makeup. thats why my main goal is just to get rid of acne all together cause id sure be nice to go without makeup for a while ha hah and yes each month before my period there was signifigantly less breakouts,one month i didnt even breakout at all before that time lol right now is an exact week before my period and i have a minor breakout along my jawline chin area im not at all suprised though cause i had two huge exams in the past couple days and along with my period that makes it even worse :/ its nothing cystic though which i used to always get at this time when i wasnt on spiro. so im really counting on spiro to completely work for me

that's great to hear that you are no longer getting the cystic ones!!! spiro is def working for you then. yay.

i'm actually pretty happy with the progress ive made on spiro the past weeks--i just got really discouraged after i realized i wasnt immune to breakouts...sigh. but if what you're saying is that it gets better each month, then i'll keep the faith. i'm still not 100% positive my acne is tied to my hormones, but it cant hurt to stay on this for another 3 months if im not having huge side effects. i would however, really like to get off the doxy...

#28 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:48 AM

day 22:
not feeling as craptastic as i did yesterday but not feeling great. i think this week has just really been tough emotionally for me and its dredging up a whole bunch of sadness and grief again...which, surprise surprise, breaks me out. i've been trying to get more sleep and not push myself, which i think helps. missing my dad and my old life a lot just screws me up completely.

put neosporin on the "cut" after i showered last night and it felt better...but today its kind of tight and hurts a bit since i picked a bunch of dead skin off it. i just cant help it...UGH I WISH I DIDNT! FINGERS CROSSED its healing. i dont want to move my mouth too much or anything bc it kind of hurts when i do. i put a tiny bit of neosporin on it before i went to work but i think it came off already.... i'm going to do the same thing every night until its almost gone (hopefully by the weekend). i really think it helps with the redness and healing process. i literally just put a dot right on the cut and leave it to dry overnight. i didnt put any concealer on it today, and i think it looks fair. if someone is staring me in the eye id hope its not super noticeable...

i did ice it a bit at lunchtime which i think made it feel tighter? i guess it make the skin constrict so it feels tight? idk but it does help in some way i think.

i just remember showering, putting moisturizer on and then going to my ex-boyfriend's apartment to hang out without a second thought...no makeup at all. i'd stay over there and not even bring face creams or washes or anything...just warm water. i would really like to get to that point again...one day soon i hope.

so, as of right now:
no "actives"
2 healing (1 on chin, 1 on upper lip)
maybe 5 clogged pores
3 red spots

yuck.

Edited by lja08, 10 November 2011 - 12:45 PM.

#29 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:36 AM

day 23:
well, things are ok. i am glad its friday...this week has really really sucked. i said i wouldnt be so hard on myself and cut myself a break considering all that i've been through, i guess blemishes arent all that bad. i feel like once i can get my life back together and the crazy emotions die down, my skin will "check itself" again and get back to the way i used to be. i have to remind myself that i'm seeing a good dermatologist, i'm on a good treatment plan that so far, has had very minimal side effects (yay!) and has been working (albeit it not 100%, but working nonetheless). and if it stops working, i can always try something else that will work. i may not be CURED of my acne, but at least i can live without it on most days.

i am happy to be in good health and have good friends. i am thankful for my twin sister and my aunt. i am happy to have a good job that i like. i have to always HOPE that things can get better, and that ONE DAY, i'll live the life i have envisioned. i dont need magazine-cover perfect skin, just skin i can be happy with and not stress over.

i have noticed over the past year that things may be so horrible and bad, and you may never think that it will get better, but eventually, time passes, you keep waking up, each day, putting one foot in front of the other, living life, whether you like it or not, you keep breathing. it takes an inordinate amount of energy to NOT live your life. so you kind of just give it to the fact you have to live and keep pushing on. the idea of time astounds me...when people say "it just takes time"...its really true. its taken me time to feel like a human being again after my dad's passing, and no doubt, it will take time for my skin to respond. just keep the faith.

well, i'll get off my soapbox now.

update on skin:
-chin "cut" is healing up. it no longer hurts. i put neosporin on it all night and i woke up this morning and a big piece of dead skin came off! yay. i didnt even put makeup on it today since it just looks worse with concealer. its red and dry, but i am glad its healing up. i will continue with my neosporin routine at night for the next week probably.
-unfortunately i seemed to have sprouted 3 clogged pores on my cheeks. they arent noticeable really, but i hate the feeling of having tiny bumps. i iced them for a few minutes this morning, and will probably do so tonight because i really think it makes the inflammation go down and flattens them out. i popped a small white head last night and iced it, and its pretty undetectable today. i think ice may be my new weapon against small blemishes. i hope the clogged pores go away soon, because i was really enjoying my smooth skin.

i am happy the weekend is here, and i hope everyone else is too.

lots of love!

other than that, nothing major to report. i am 3 days away from my period /inactive pill week, so we'll see how i fair in the coming days.

#30 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

day 25:

i'm only a few days away from the 1 month mark! still taking 50mg/day and 200mg/doxy.

so the "cut" on my chin is looking much better, each day it seems less noticeable. i am happy to be almost rid of it. i hope in the next few days it'll be almost nothing. again, its just a huge reminder to not POP, SQUEEZE OR PICK anything until its ready to be. so stupid of me. i should have learned my lesson by now.

no other huge issues except i have some clogged pores near my hairline...they are kind of red, but i think its because i was picking at it. ugh. i put my proactiv sulfur mask on it for awhile to reduce the redness and smooth the skin out, so here's hoping they flatten out soon. its really not noticeable if i wear my bangs out. i think its from dancing/sweating last night at a bar but who knows...the price i pay haha. i also notice i have some blackheads and clogged pores around my nose area but its possible those have always been there and i just didnt notice.

i'm one day away from my inactive pills, so i should be getting my period in a few days. i'm interested to see how i fair on the next pack--i'm very interested in tracking everything now just for information's sake i guess.

#31 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

day 26:
only 3 more pills left until i'm done with month 1! can't wait to be on this for longer to see total results. my derm said it takes some people 3 months, others 1-2, some 2-3 weeks, so i guess i fall into the 2-3 week category?

i kind of realized that instead of focusing on other things in life, i've been focusing on my skin because i probably find it easier to obsess about that than anything else. its not great, but its kind of a defense mechanism i guess. i'd really like to stop thinking about it so much and scrutinizing every little pore. i cant even remember really what i used to do when i had no breakouts...i guess it never really even crossed my mind.

i'm really going to try and stop obsessing. i need to just give myself a break and if i have a few clogged pores or small blemishes, whatever. its not like it makes me a bad person, right?

is it terrible i want to ask my derm about accutane? i know i dont qualify for it at all really, but i cant help but be really intrigued by it. i did a course of it when i was 15/16 and it was fabulous...dry skin/chapped lips and some headaches but that was really it. i had moderate acne that didnt respond to anything, and accutane cleared my skin up in about a month. i cant help but wonder if it would clear my skin up permanently if i did another short course of it for a couple months at a low dose. im going to ask my derm and see what she says. she'll probably laugh at me, but its worth a shot haha.

happy monday.

#32 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

hi everyone.

so for some reason my account got messed up and i had to create another one, but i am still here and posting on my log.

it's been awhile since i posted anything, and while things havent been BAD, they haven't been CLEAR (ha.)

i'm on day 45 of spiro, 3 months in on doxy and about 4 months in on zovia. zovia is great, no issues, doxy is ok, hate being on it though and spiro is fine.

i went to see my derm today and she wasnt unhappy with the results, just a little frustrated that i havent responded as well as i could. i told her that basically its not bad or as bad as it has been, but its not where i want it to be. my forehead seems to be permanently bumpy, and i am still getting some breakouts on my chin and nose area. she was surprised about the nose area still being an issue, and then suggested i bump up to 100mg/day for the next 2 months. i havent really had any side effects from the 50mg, so we'll see how i fair on 100mg. she said she had just seen a patient doing really well on 150mg and that everyone has their magic dosage that works. she has a lot of women in their 30s and 40s on this stuff! and even a woman in her 70s...which i was shocked about. how can you have acne at 70??!?!?!

she also said if i dont see improvement on 100mg, i could go up to 200mg. after that, i'd assume it would be a course of accutane, which i'd really rather not do, even though its allure is quite strong. the blood tests, ipledge system and mandatory derm appointments sound like a huge pain in the ass, especially with my HMO plan. when i took it 10 years ago, all i had to do was take a prego test and get the script filled. not hard.

we'll see. right now my face looks decent. forehead still bumpy, 2 healing zits--one on chin and one near the right side of my nose. i feel a little lightheaded since i took the 100mg this morning, but maybe its bc i havent eaten since 9am.

hoping that i'll see improvement by christmas...

feel free to post reactions/experiences etc. i love hearing from people!

#33 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:49 AM

day 3 of 100mg...no huge miraculous clearing but not bad. there arent any actives right now, but i do have a small slightly raised blemish on my right cheek i kind of picked at a little this morning (leaving it alone now!) and my forehead is still bumpy. got a red mark on my chin that is SLOWLY fading. yeesh it takes forever...

i'm using a sulfur face wash now my derm prescribed called Plexion and im hoping it will get rid of the little bumps on my forehead. im so used to seeing them i forgot what its like to not have them haha. guess i just got used to it? funny how that happens. i also use a sulfur mask all over one or twice a week and to spot treat popped blemishes. idk if any of this stuff works, but i continue using it in the hopes it will.

interestingly, i woke up yesterday with a small red blemish on my jawline and by the end of the day it was gone. if only life could be so simple.

id really like 100mg to work for me so i can get off the freaking doxy. im on it for another 2 months, ugh. i just really wish i never even started taking it.

#34 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

day 4 of 100mg:

looking pretty good. i used the proactiv sulfur mask last night on my forehead and cheeks to get rid of some bumps and it worked well. seriously that stuff is so calming for the skin. doesnt irritate or make anything flaky. i used to use a BP face mask from neutrogena, and it definitely made my skin drier.

i did notice that my forehead is smoother--maybe bc of the sulfur wash i have been using and the bump in spiro dosage, so thats hopeful i guess? not sure what to make of everything, but ill just take it one day at time.

#35 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

day 5 of 100mg:

well, i've been pretty busy the past few days, and its been nice to have clearer skin when you are on the go. i saw ryan adams last night in concert and he rocked...love him! i have been using this sulfur face wash called Plexion (i get the generic cuz its cheaper) and i highly recommend it based on my experience thus far.

my forehead seems smoother and my skin feels better overall, which is nice.

i'm traveling next week mon-fri for work, so we'll see how everything holds up. i'm a bit worried, but hoping if i stay on top of my regimen and not stress, i'll be okay.

the spiro is def making me pee more than usual, but i dont really care that much. i feel better drinking more water, so thats a good side effect i guess.

hope everyone has a good weekend!

#36 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

day 7 of 100mg:

not going to post at all this coming week as i'll be traveling for work, but gotta report that things are pretty good (knock on wood). i feel secure with myself and skin and am going to try and stay as stress free as possible during the next week. hope everyone else is doing well!

#37 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

well i managed to get a wifi connection in LA so i'm posting!

i accidentally took 150mg today instead of 100mg...oops! i usually take 2 pills/day and i was traveling and was up and about super super early, so i kind of forgot by the end of the day if i had taken my pills. i am like 90% sure i did, but i didnt want to risk not having it in my system for a day, so i took a 50mg pill to be safe. so yeah...but then i got kinda sick to my stomach after eating some sushi and puked...so idk what the hell dosage i ended up with today! crazy isnt it. im wondering if the 150mg will make my skin clearer though!! here's hoping i wake up with better skin than i went to sleep with :)

anyway, i got a whitehead on my chin after getting off my very long 6 hour flight (not surprised) but once i washed my face it just popped itself. i am using my sulfur mask and face wash, and diligently following my skincare routine, in hopes i wont break out during my week away from home....maybe the 150mg isnt a bad idea. my doc said i can take it up to 200mg if im getting pimples still...so maybe ill do a little trial and error myself :)

anyway, im exhausted and going to sleep. 4 days until im back home.

i used to travel and not even think twice about zits...now i worry if the airplane, change in water or whatever it is will make me breakout. UGH.

#38 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

woke up with a tiny whitehead on my chin, which i popped. i cant not. i'm okay with getting the occasional white head, just as long as its tiny and can be hidden with makeup.

i also totally forgot to mention that i wore absolutely NO MAKEUP yesterday...not a stitch of concealer or mineral powder or even eye makeup...i think i look better and more polished with my "face" on but wearing it on a 5:30am flight isnt something i care to do. it felt good :)

also, i took a look around and i feel like i notice very few women with 100% perfect amazing flawless skin. i dont think it exists really...i see more men with better skin than women as i get older--i think it has everything to do with hormones.

i remember there was a period of time when i didnt menstruate--and i had great skin. soooo yeah...when my period came back, BAM! acne acne acne.

also, is it weird that i worry about when i want to get pregnant and have kids that my acne will get freakin' gnarly when i go off spiro and BCPs??? i mean...it will probably explode. im 25 and would like to have kids in the next 10 years...haha. so its far off but i still think about it. anyone else???

#39 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

so i seem to be dealing with some small whiteheads on my chin/nose area. where i ALWAYS breakout.

i woke up with a small red bump on the side of my lip and iced it so it would bring down the inflammation, and it did. i knew it would turn into a whitehead...which is fine i guess, i just hate popping them at work and i hate having them on my face, so i have to wait until i get home. i know it will be gone after i pop it, so i'm just going to wait until the end of the day to.

other than that, no huge issues. i just wish i could wake up and not have a whitehead.

#40 lja25

lja25

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

just popped my 2 spiro pills...hoping they clear me up even more!

i got a nice little whitehead on my lip area yesterday which i popped, iced and put my sulfur mask on. it helped it go away, but theres still a red mark where its healing. i have gotten pretty good at covering up zits haha (i never used to be) so its not really noticeable i think to other people (to me, its always noticeable). when i have some zits to cover up, i usually make sure i amp up my eye makeup and clothes,so it distracts from whatever is going on on my skin. i think its a good strategy...and having people complement you on your hair/shoes/clothes rather than stare at a zit is a better outcome i think.

anyway, im due to get my period any day now so i am hoping that will clear up anything lurking in the wings.

also, there's a girl in my office that has pretty severe acne...i'd say cystic, that covers most of her face and chest. she does a good job of covering it up, but i almost want to tell her about spiro. im not sure if shed get offended, but i think she should try to do something...although it really doesnt seem to bother her AT ALL. she has a boyfriend, a successful career...seems like she just lives her life with it and doesnt bat an eyelash.

and here i am worrying about one whitehead. BAH.

i really wonder if i should tell her about spiro....