Photo

Spiro + Zovia + Doxy = Overmedicated But Hopeful

adult acne antibiotics hormonal acne probiotic red mark rosacea makeup concealer

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

Day 1:

So to give you all an overview of my situation, I just turned 25 and have been dealing with persistent breakouts on my face (mostly around my chin, lip/mouth and nose area), which are large and hurt and take forever to go away, for the past 8 months. Previously, my skin was perfect...literally I could go months without wearing foundation or concealer and barely used any acne meds at all. In fact, I hadn't been to a dermatologist in almost 6 years. I started breaking out on my chest as well, which leaves scars and takes FOREVER to go away. Just in time for bathingsuit season, may I add.

After a nasty breakout, I went to a derm (very highly regarded in Boston too btw) and he told me I had rosacea (I had a sunburn at his office). He gave me Finacea and Doxy and sent me on my way. It helps, but not that much and I think the Finacea makes my face oilier, which I certainly don't need. The doxy has been fine, I take it with food, and I take a probiotic everyday so I don't get yeast infections.

I notice everything will clear for a week or so and then I'm back with those pimples that hurt around my mouth and chin area. I most certainly don't have rosacea, its straight up ACNE. These suckers start underneath the skin, and after days of letting them come to a head, I end up squeezing the crap out of them because they hurt. This inevitably leads to what I call "cuts" and then finally when it heals, leaves a big red mark. GREAT. I can cover red marks with makeup, but the "cuts" just look bad with concealer on them.

After a couple weeks of clear skin, I broke out, yet again. So I took matters into my own hands and went to see another dermatologist--one who is young, female and compassionate. She took a look at my skin, spoke with me and said my symptoms indicate hormonal acne.

She put me on 50mg of spiro in addition to my BC (which I like) and the doxy. Right now my skin looks pretty good (I'm not even wearing makeup today) except for a big pimple I popped a couple nights ago that is right at the corner of my mouth and is healing up...it hurts but I am hoping its gone by the weekend.

Anywaaaay, I am taking my first spiro pill tonight, so I am hoping in at least a week or two, things will have evened out and I wont have another large breakout. I am slightly worried about taking more medication in addition to what I take now, but at this point, its my last stand before I get Accutane. If Spiro doesn't work, 'tane it is.

I'll update as I see changes!

I hope anyone out there who has a similar situation will weigh in...what have your experiences been like? Has it worked/not worked? Side effects?

CHIN UP EVERYONE!
Currently on:
Finacea AM, PM (since 9/1/11)
200mg Doxycycline (since 9/1/11)
50mg Spironalactone (since 10/20/11)

Acne: mild, but persistent.
Goal: to not wear makeup!

#2 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

ok, so no one responded, but i'll keep tracking even if no one reads haha.

here's my regimen so far (when its written out, it sounds a lot more time consuming...)
Morning:
wash face with water, apply thin layer of finacea, apply bare minerals makeup
take BC pill
Take 50mg spiro with breakfast

Afternoon:
take 1 doxy with lunch
take primrose oil, fish oil, vitamin A and probiotic

Evening:
take 1 doxy
shower, use proactiv deep cleansing wash on chest and back/shoulder (love it) and proactiv cleanser on face, although my derm gave me plexion to use since my skin flushes easily, but i havent used it yet.
apply finacea on face and chest/back

i had some pretty vivid dreams last night after i took my first pill--but no big deal. i went to happy hour last night after work so i woke up with a bit of a headache (thanks vodka sodas!) but nothing that some coffee and a bagel couldnt fix :)

i am drinking lots of water and my skin looks pretty good. the big sucker right by my mouth has dried up completed and hopefully will flake off soon...i'm trying my best not to pick at it since it will just delay the healing time. i am so guilty of picking!!!!! i remember going to my derm as an awkward teenager and him being like "you really like to pick dont you?"....yes. i. do.

well, i think its too early to judge anything...i just feel a little shaky/jumpy and i have to pee a lot.

also, i must give major credit to Blue Cross Blue Shield pharmacy coverage. My doxy, BC, spiro, plexion and finacea costs me: $120...if i had my old Oxford insurance, it'd probably be double.

will keep updating! saying my prayers for clear skin for everyone!
Currently on:

#3 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:31 PM

stil logging...

day 3:
i noticed yesterday, strangely, that by the end of my very long work day (9-6:30 on a friday! gaah!) that my face wasn't covered in a film of oil. usually by the end of the day i cant wait to get home to wash my makeup off bc my face feels so oily. that's a good sign! no new breakouts, skin is still kinda bumpy but i dont really care about that as much as those huge suckers that pop up out of nowhere. the one by the corner of my mouth is still healing, but its hard bc whenever i yawn or go to take a big bite of something, it cracks and bleeds a little (gross, i know). ive been putting neosporin on it using a Q-tip, and it seems to help, i think i just need to stop picking at it and let the skin heal. i HATE these kinds. hoping its gone by mid-week.

noticed ive had a mild headache for a bit, ive been drinking a lot of water but the sprio could be making me dehydrated if i dont drink enough...again, nothing i care too much about since they usually go away.

nothing of any huge importance to report!!
Currently on:

#4 KMichele

KMichele

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

Good luck! I, too, am "overmedicated". I'm on spiro, BC, Solodyn, melquin + topical antibiotic, and Differin .3%. It can be so annoying when you have to pop all of these pills and smear crap on your face, but clear skin is worth it. Don't stress it too much!

Yea, spiro can make you really thirsty. The extra water will be a good thing regardless.

#5 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:25 AM

i know! its so frustrating. for example, yesterday i went to an all-day volunteering event, and whoops! forgot to bring my arsenal of pills...spiro, BC, doxys, vitamins...so when i got home i had to eat some carbs and take all of them at once bc i didnt want to miss any doses. UGH. i just picture my body trying to process all that stuff and its overwhelming.

luckily, today my skin looks better than yesterday. the oil has definitely been decreasing, so that's a plus. the sucker at the corner of my mouth is finally on the mend; lots of neosporin has helped heal it, but i still picked some dead skin off it this morning. yuck. its not terribly noticeable if i put a dot of concealer on it.

i feel like my body is eliminating everything i put into it in terms of water and food, very quickly. i know the whole peeing more is normal, but is everything else?!??! i just notice i'll have a meal and then like 40 minutes later...oh well. i'd rather have it out then in, i guess? maybe its my body re-adjusting to all the medications.

so far, i cant really complain that much! enjoying the weekend as much as possible!
Currently on:

#6 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:25 AM

day 5:

so my skin seemed to freak out a little bit overnight. could be due to stress/lack of relaxation, but who knows these days. no HUGE, underground ones, but some small ones on my left cheek/jawline that aren't super noticeable and some along my hairline, but i don't like them. plus a few small ones on my chest, which i know will take forever to go away, even if they are small. they literally all popped up overnight! soooo frustrating. i just want my skin to be smooth without little bumps.

i am wondering if this is a small initial breakout from the spiro? i'm hoping it clears up soon...

has this happened to anyone after a week on spiro?
Currently on:

#7 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:27 AM

day 6:

started my active BC pills today...bye perioddddd. i'm hoping by keeping this log that i will be able to pinpoint in details if/when i break out during the cycle, so i can let my derm know. i've never tracked anything before, so it should be interesting.

yesterday i was kind of upset/frustrated bc my skin seemed to breakout a little, but oddly by the end of the day, the small blemishes seemed to have dried up. lucky, i know! the few ones on my chest are taking a little longer, but they can be covered with a dot of concealer easily. i feel like i'm always flushing on my chest/neck, though. like for no reason. its strange.

anyway, so far no huge side effects. i wonder if i need to up my dosage?
Currently on:

#8 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

day 7:

things are going ok, been busy with work and life...which helps to take my mind of skin issues.

i am kind of realizing slowly that just because someone has some spots or visible pores or whatever, doesnt make them any LESS of a person. i think the world literally forces us all to nitpick at ourselves, compare ourselves to unattainable standards and overall, we LEARN to hate ourselves.

i for one, think daily life is tough enough...stress, family, work, friends, commitments, money...so yes, acne can get us down, and it can make us feel worse, but honestly, its something that can also help you be nicer to people and accept others for their flaws.

you can be that person you hope everyone is...someone who ignores imperfections and looks at the real person...not if they have blackheads on their nose.

sorry if this sounds preach-y, but i really just think we all need a big hug and a dose of acceptance.
Currently on:

#9 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:38 AM

day 8:

things are going alright...im not 100% satisfied with my skin yet--maybe about 85% but its definitely better than before. i'm just frustrated because i cant seem to get rid of these little bumps on my forehead! they aren't terribly noticeable and they dont come to a head or anything, its just bumpy and ive never had them before. its strange since if my acne is hormonal, why do i have little bumps on my forehead?

trial and error i guess... i'm still taking the spiro and doxy, with very little side effects. i'm wondering if my dosage is too low though on the spiro...ugh so many questions! i wish i had a friend who was my derm and could be on call. i'm happy to not be as stressed about it, but still wish my skin would go back to how it used to be...smooth and pretty without any meds or creams and the occasional little whitehead that would heal in a few days...SIGH.
Currently on:

#10 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

Day 9:

Today is Friday and that means I am happy since the weekend is here (almost). I'm doing pretty good--thought I would have a breakout b/c i've had a lot of stress the past few days, but i am happy to say i have not. (KNOCK ON WOOD).

Side effects i'm noticing: larger bust size (not a bad thing), some "digestive" issues i.e. frequent trips to the bathroom for everything, not just peeing...and being a little thirsty at the end of the day. i wonder if its because of the doxy i'm on...i REALLY want to get off it, but i know its a gradual process of weaning yourself down to a low dose. i wouldnt mind taking one pill every other day for awhile--i just dont want to take 2 pills a day. so many meds!

anyway, pretty satisfied with things, hope everyone else is as well. yay weekend!
Currently on:

#11 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:47 AM

day 12:

happy halloween everyone!!

anyway, i am doing pretty well today--actually the weekend was quite fun and i had a great time just enjoying life.

on saturday i woke up and went to the gym for the first time in months. i was previously avoiding the gym because i didnt want to be out without makeup and also i was afraid the sweating would make things worse. i think i was depressed a little, so the thought of exercise was not something i wanted to do. it was weird though--i saw a girl there who had pretty bad acne, completely without makeup, working out really hard, and i was like..."if she doesnt care, i shouldnt!" i give her lots of credit...she just didnt care! i have heard that exercise improves skin tone and circulation, so hopefully i'll be glowing shortly :)

so my skin right now is looking good (knock on wood)!! its smooth finally...for the first time in months. i can't believe it...my forehead is the only place where there are a few bumps left, but they are small, so i can live with it. i popped a tiny whitehead near my collarbone this morning, so it left a red mark, but it should go away in a couple days. i am noticing that the oil on my skin is almost gone--for the first time in months my skin actually felt DRY. i may actually consider buying a moisturizer. i dont know if its a combination of the following:
1) less stress
2) new BC finally kicking in after 3 months
3) spiro
4) being happier/less depressed/more social because my skin looks better
5) a new relationship

but i feel like my skin is getting back to where it used to be last year, when i was happy. i really, truly believe when you are depressed or things in your life have gone majorly awry, your skin absolutely reflects it. the 2 times in my life when my skin looked really terrible it was because i was depressed and my hormones were out-of-whack...skin is a delicate thing.

i feel like now, if i can maintain this level of clarity on my skin, i would be forever grateful--even if i get a small whitehead or blemish or something, i think itd be better than those big ones that hurt.

saying prayers that my skin stays this way...counting my blessings.
Currently on:

#12 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

day 13:

things are still going pretty well, except that my skin is really dry! i havent had dry skin like this in a looooong time. its flaking a bit on my chin and around my eyebrows. i am contemplating buying a moisturizer, but not sure which one i should get, as i havent used one in like 5 months and im scared it will make me breakout. any recommendations??

i did squeeze a small blackhead on my chin last night that was kind of sticking out after a hot shower (gross) but its very small and barely noticeable. right after i did it i wished i hadn't, but oh well. i'm so much better with not picking than i used to be, though. i also picked at a small blemish on my chest, ugh. i probably made that one worse, but its not really in a place you can see (ahem...) so its alright i guess. hoping it clears up in a few days.

other than that, i havent had much to report except the dryness. i started taking 100mg of doxy 5 days ago instead of 200mg, since i really want to ween off it-- i think it gave me a mild yeast infection (YUCK)...my sister told me i should call my derm though to get her opinion, so i will do that today to just make sure its ok.

overall, i am satisfied!

hope everyone is having a good tuesday...again, if you have recommendations on a good, light, moisturizer...let me know!!!
Currently on:

#13 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

day 14:

things still going well. skin is dry mainly on my chin--so no big deal, the flakes come off when i wash my face.

i called my derms office yesterday to talk with her about weaning off the doxy i'm on, and she told me to keep taking it for another month at the full dosage, 200mg/day. for the last few days i was doing 100mg, without issue, but they said i should stay on it for 3 months, then ween off it. oh well...guess i'll be on these for longer than i wanted. i would really like to just take the spiro and BC...but im not complaining.

my derm also recommended using Cetaphil moisturizer which you can get OTC. ive never used it before, so i am hesitant to buy it...i really dont want to breakout. maybe if i do a little test run and use it somewhere not very noticeable, i can decide to give it a go.

nothing much to report here. spiro is great!
Currently on:

#14 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:53 AM

day 15:

so i've been on spiro for about 2 weeks now and i have to admit, its been relatively "painless"...the side effects have been minimal--and good god i feel like my bust size has increased by half a cup...not that i mind, but i dont want to have to buy new undergarments. i'm pretty sure the guys in my office are staring more...

so i had 2 little whiteheads i popped yesterday...and by little, i mean literally so tiny that my nail did most of the work. not like those huge ones that you pop and squeeze and they still have crap left in them. god i hate those. then they start to heal but there's still bacteria in it so you end up popping it again, only to start the cycle over.

the small one on my chest is healing well, not very noticeable with a dot of concealer. should be gone by saturday, just in time for the weekend. but it doesnt bother me since its out of view.

the "drying out" that spiro does is amazing. i may purchase some head and shoulders shampoo since the winter is coming and dryness is inevitable, and i dont want my scalp to be dry. i need to not wash it everyday...maybe every other day. i'm lucky since i have blonde hair though :) i'm going to stock up on serious moisturizers for my body and chapstick...always love an excuse to drop money at CVS.

anyway, hope everyone is having a good day!!
Currently on:

#15 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

day 15:

so i've been on spiro for about 2 weeks now and i have to admit, its been relatively "painless"...the side effects have been minimal--and good god i feel like my bust size has increased by half a cup...not that i mind, but i dont want to have to buy new undergarments. i'm pretty sure the guys in my office are staring more...

so i had 2 little whiteheads i popped yesterday...and by little, i mean literally so tiny that my nail did most of the work. not like those huge ones that you pop and squeeze and they still have crap left in them. god i hate those. then they start to heal but there's still bacteria in it so you end up popping it again, only to start the cycle over.

the small one on my chest is healing well, not very noticeable with a dot of concealer. should be gone by saturday, just in time for the weekend. but it doesnt bother me since its out of view.

the "drying out" that spiro does is amazing. i may purchase some head and shoulders shampoo since the winter is coming and dryness is inevitable, and i dont want my scalp to be dry. i need to not wash it everyday...maybe every other day. i'm lucky since i have blonde hair though Posted Image i'm going to stock up on serious moisturizers for my body and chapstick...always love an excuse to drop money at CVS.

anyway, hope everyone is having a good day!!

well i just got back from my lunch break and i noticed a bump that kinda hurt a little on my chest. its small-ish, but i kind of rubbed at it with my nail and now the area is all red and im thinking i made it worse. ugh. i am trying my best not to touch it any more, it doesnt seem to be like the others i've gotten in the past, but i am worried its going to sprout into a large blemish. just thought id vent my frustration...not happy.
Currently on:

#16 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

day 16:

the little bump on my chest pretty much went away by last night...i think i just scratched at it so it made it look worse than it was. i swear my mind plays tricks on me with blemishes.

i'm noticing that if i get a blemish that pops up, its a small whitehead--if i do pop/squeeze it, its gone within a day or so, or really easy to cover with makeup. i think since its been such a struggle to figure out what the hell was going on with my skin, that i forgot what it felt like to hold my head up high. i just took my skin for granted in the past...not going to do that anymore. everyday is a gift when i am happy with how i look to the world.

still dealing with dry skin, havent had a chance to go to CVS to pick anything up since i've been SO busy...but am planning to do it this weekend. i'm not washing my face as much and i think its helping with the dryness. i literally just washed my face with warm water yesterday :)

hope everyone is having a great friday and enjoys their weekend!!!
Currently on:

#17 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

day 16:

the little bump on my chest pretty much went away by last night...i think i just scratched at it so it made it look worse than it was. i swear my mind plays tricks on me with blemishes.

i'm noticing that if i get a blemish that pops up, its a small whitehead--if i do pop/squeeze it, its gone within a day or so, or really easy to cover with makeup. i think since its been such a struggle to figure out what the hell was going on with my skin, that i forgot what it felt like to hold my head up high. i just took my skin for granted in the past...not going to do that anymore. everyday is a gift when i am happy with how i look to the world.

still dealing with dry skin, havent had a chance to go to CVS to pick anything up since i've been SO busy...but am planning to do it this weekend. i'm not washing my face as much and i think its helping with the dryness. i literally just washed my face with warm water yesterday Posted Image

hope everyone is having a great friday and enjoys their weekend!!!

weellllll

i feel like i had a small breakout at the end of the day. its so weird how i can wake up and by evening something has popped up. I HATE THAT.

i took a shower and got out, and noticed i had a whitehead right by my left temple, so i popped it...then on my chin (where i always get those big ones) there's a slightly raised red spot, but it doesn't hurt, there's no white head or black head, and its not sore to the touch, but it does feel like something hard is underneath..so idk what the heck that's all about. im LEAVING it be and not picking or squeezing at anything that isn't "ripe" haha. i had a habit in the past of squeezing stuff that really shouldnt have been messed with and making it so much worse--like literally making nothing into a zit...so my goal is to just leave it alone until there's some kind of head to it.

usually if i feel like im getting a big one, i'll dab a bit of my proactiv sulfur mask on it and let it dry, since its good for getting rid of inflammation/redness and drying out zits...i'm just hoping nothing gets worse.

i'm hoping getting a ton of sleep and resting this weekend will keep things in check...i've been doing so well the past 3 weeks!!! i just REALLY dont want to get a huge one like before. those effing suck. SIGH. Posted Image
Currently on:

#18 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

day 19:

so i had a blackhead near my nose/mouth area yesterday that i was sick of seeing, so i squeezed it out and then i iced it so get rid of any swelling, and it didnt turn into a zit! i was shocked that i woke up this morning without one where the blackhead was.

i do however have a small zit on my chin. its not a whitehead or anything, its just a small raised spot. it kind of hurts a little, but im not going to pop or pick it, so hopefully it either develops a head and i pop it, or it just goes away. i've noticed by leaving things alone, they usually just go away. its when i pick at stuff that makes it worse...except if its a whitehead--i refuse to walk around with those on my face haha.

so overall, i feel like spiro is doing a good job. i am one week away from my period, so we'll see how it works in the next 5 days or so. i dont mind having a small blemish here and there, i just dont want a face full of them.

happy monday...
Currently on:

#19 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

day 19:

so i had a blackhead near my nose/mouth area yesterday that i was sick of seeing, so i squeezed it out and then i iced it so get rid of any swelling, and it didnt turn into a zit! i was shocked that i woke up this morning without one where the blackhead was.

i do however have a small zit on my chin. its not a whitehead or anything, its just a small raised spot. it kind of hurts a little, but im not going to pop or pick it, so hopefully it either develops a head and i pop it, or it just goes away. i've noticed by leaving things alone, they usually just go away. its when i pick at stuff that makes it worse...except if its a whitehead--i refuse to walk around with those on my face haha.

so overall, i feel like spiro is doing a good job. i am one week away from my period, so we'll see how it works in the next 5 days or so. i dont mind having a small blemish here and there, i just dont want a face full of them.

happy monday...

god i'm so terrible i said i wouldnt touch it but i did. i noticed a small head was forming on the zit on my chin...its literally right in the crease of my chin, so i popped it. i told myself i wouldnt, but i did. it bled a little which i guess is good that all the crap inside of it is gone? idk cuz it kinda hurts a little.i just hate the fact that its going to take a few days to go away. its really not very noticeable, but it feels larger than what it looks like.

i'm going to REALLY not touch it anymore and then put some of my proactiv sulfur mask on it tonight to dry it up. i'm not sure if that stuff makes a difference, but it doesnt hurt either, so i figure its better than doing nothing.

UGH. this is the first real zit i've gotten on spiro...but if its just one, i can live with it i guess. sigh.
Currently on:

#20 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

day 19:

happy monday...

god i'm so terrible i said i wouldnt touch it but i did. i noticed a small head was forming on the zit on my chin...its literally right in the crease of my chin, so i popped it. i told myself i wouldnt, but i did. it bled a little which i guess is good that all the crap inside of it is gone? idk cuz it kinda hurts a little.i just hate the fact that its going to take a few days to go away. its really not very noticeable, but it feels larger than what it looks like.

i'm going to REALLY not touch it anymore and then put some of my proactiv sulfur mask on it tonight to dry it up. i'm not sure if that stuff makes a difference, but it doesnt hurt either, so i figure its better than doing nothing.

UGH. this is the first real zit i've gotten on spiro...but if its just one, i can live with it i guess. sigh.

again, i lied. i literally couldnt leave it alone since it hurt so much! i knew there was more crap inside of it after my initial popping and it was just begging me to squeeze it out...so i did. a fair amount of white pus came out and it doesnt hurt as much now so i think i got it all. i feel like those kinds of zits wont ever heal unless you get all the crap out of it...it will just sit there on your face hurting. i'm going to take a hot shower and hopefully that will kill whatever is left in it and then put some topical stuff on it to get into the pore. i feel like its smaller already...heres hoping it goes away by wednesday. god i suck at this.
Currently on: