Photo

Does Niacin Eventually Stop Working?

niacin acne stop working

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:26 PM

Hey guys i was just reading around in the thread ''Niacin is AMAZING for acne'' that was posted here. And I read a couple times that it is only a temporary fix???

I used niacin before and it worked great but I eventually stopped using it cause I started breaking out again. I sont think me breaking out again was due to the fact that the niacin wore off because I have better reasons to blame for that.
Well That was 5 months ago.

Now, myy acne has been pretty bad for the last couple weeks, but I reintroduced niacin and my face is clearing again! :D

Anyways I was just wondering if niacin is indeed a quick fix or is it a long term helper??

Also instead of taking niacin everyday, would taking it 4 times a week make the acne clearing effects last
longer??

#2 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:16 AM

Everyone always speaks so highly of niacin and b-5, I have yet to try 'em.

#3 Niall.

Niall.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:40 AM

Hmm i can def relate to this. I took niacin last week (500mg a day). Within 2 days my face was clear. I mean CLEAR like no zits whatsoever. Moreover, my skin complexion was glowing with radiance. Maybe 3-4 red marks though. My acne was only mild however and i only get maybe 3-4 zits a week if that.
I was really happy, thought id found my cure so continued to take 500mg a day at night before bed. However this week i have been breaking out badly again. Maybe its just random and my previous clarity was just a "good week", but something tells me its the niacin and its effect has wore off.

Also i stopped getting the "flush" after several doses, which i think may be correlative.
Seems like it is temporary fix, i shall continue taking it nonetheless.

Edited by Niall., 20 October 2011 - 04:42 AM.

#4 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

Hmm i can def relate to this. I took niacin last week (500mg a day). Within 2 days my face was clear. I mean CLEAR like no zits whatsoever. Moreover, my skin complexion was glowing with radiance. Maybe 3-4 red marks though. My acne was only mild however and i only get maybe 3-4 zits a week if that.
I was really happy, thought id found my cure so continued to take 500mg a day at night before bed. However this week i have been breaking out badly again. Maybe its just random and my previous clarity was just a "good week", but something tells me its the niacin and its effect has wore off.

Also i stopped getting the "flush" after several doses, which i think may be correlative.
Seems like it is temporary fix, i shall continue taking it nonetheless.

How long did the clear effects last from taking it? Months? Weeks? Days? :0

#5 Niall.

Niall.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:17 AM

Unforuntaly it lasted a mere few days maybe 4. Those were good days.. lol

My dosage remained the same throughout though

guess i have to wait 5 months and do it again Posted Image

Edited by Niall., 20 October 2011 - 06:17 AM.

#6 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:13 AM

Unforuntaly it lasted a mere few days maybe 4. Those were good days.. lol

My dosage remained the same throughout though

guess i have to wait 5 months and do it again Posted Image

Only 4?! D:

Man this sucks.

But after those 4 days did you just stop getting the flushes? Or did you just have a bad breakout?

#7 Niall.

Niall.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:17 AM

Well i took it first time ever thursday last week. My skin was really clear on saturday up until tuesday.
I never stopped getting the flush, its just that now it is almost unnoticable when i get it. When i first took it, it was like a sunburn red. Now it a very mild red as though i have done some light exercise. I didnt really breakout all at once. Just pimples have started popping up each day and my skin tone is getting progressivly worse. Oh well i shall maybe take more tonight.

I hope your skin stays clear though gl.

#8 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

Well i took it first time ever thursday last week. My skin was really clear on saturday up until tuesday.
I never stopped getting the flush, its just that now it is almost unnoticable when i get it. When i first took it, it was like a sunburn red. Now it a very mild red as though i have done some light exercise. I didnt really breakout all at once. Just pimples have started popping up each day and my skin tone is getting progressivly worse. Oh well i shall maybe take more tonight.

The same thing is happeneing to me, when I started on Monday it was sunburn red, now today it was very mild.

Hmmmm, well I think instead of taking it EVERYDAY, I'm going to start taking it only 3 times a week. Hopefully then the results will stay continous.

Oh well, I have some experimenting to do. :P

Thanks for the help, and thanks, I hope yours clears as well!

Edited by electthedead01, 20 October 2011 - 07:38 AM.

#9 Niall.

Niall.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

The same thing is happeneing to me, when I started on Monday it was sunburn red, now today it was very mild.

Hmmmm, well I think instead of taking it EVERYDAY, I'm going to start taking it only 3 times a week. Hopefully then the results will stay continous.

Oh well, I have some experimenting to do. Posted Image

yeah i may just try taking it 3 times a week. Maybe that will help prelong the effect.
Btw how much do u take?

#10 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

Oh well, I have some experimenting to do. Posted Image

yeah i may just try taking it 3 times a week. Maybe that will help prelong the effect.
Btw how much do u take?

I take 500mg

#11 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:24 PM

You're better off improving all areas of health and lifestyle rather than looking for a quick fix.

#12 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

You're better off improving all areas of health and lifestyle rather than looking for a quick fix.

Well that's the thing, I do maintain a healthy diet and lifetstyle, and my acne was looking pretty good even before I started the niacin. I just thought that the niacin would give me an extra kick at getting clear, and it did BIG TIME.

Hopefully only using it 3 times a week rather than everyday it won't wear off.

#13 Zanpakutou

Zanpakutou

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

It definitely helped me, but it's mostly a bandaid. It doesnt attack the root cause and if you're anything like me you'll get fed up when you randomly break out while on the stuff. I believe I have narrowed down a food intolerance being the most significant cause, possibly even root cause of My acne. After a atleast a month or so I may start a thread on My findings.

#14 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

My face looks soo good thouhg lol. Nothing is a permanent cure. :(

Oh well, hopefully my experiment works.