Photo

Rose Hip Oil

hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 mikhael

mikhael

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 02:26 PM

I purchased Essencia Rose Hip Oil at the health store. It was $13.95 Canadian for a 25 ml bottle.

I tried a wee wee bit on my red hyperpigmentation spots on my cheek, left it on over night, and the marks got considerably redder. (the reddest they've looked in months, in fact). I washed it off this morning and it's still red now.

I didn't put anything else on my skin last night. Just the rose hip oil. It doesn't feel like it's burning or irritated. It's just angered.

#2 phil_b

phil_b

$_GET['myName']

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 03:43 PM

ive been considering this stuff for a while to treat my red marks. But maybe not then.

if you continue to use it for a couple of weeks or so, keep us posted.

#3 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:32 PM

It sounds like it irritated your skin. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

#4 mikhael

mikhael

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:37 AM

Thanks for the kind words.

I have zinc oxide cream on it now. I'm sure it'll be ok. Just a little set back.

I'm afraid I can't post updates, because I am discontinuing use of the oil.

It's important to add (for anyone who hasn't read some of my previous posts) that my skin is quite sensitive.

Several things I have read on this board have helped me considerably, and I am grateful. This one little experiment didn't work out. it's ok smile.gif

#5 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:05 AM

so what are the things that have worked for ya?

#6 mikhael

mikhael

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:22 AM

1. Glycolic acid 8% every day, or every other day. That's the main thing that's doing the trick, I think.

2. Staying out of the sun (This is the first summer I have ever obsessively protected my skin from sun).

3. Titanium dioxide 4% in stick makeup form. (Loreal quickstick - you can also find titanium dioxide in mineral make-up).

4. Zinc oxide (13%) in baby bum cream. (Penaten soothing lotion) - This is very hard to get off. I dab with baby wipes, use fragrance free baby oil and I let SpectroJel sit on it for awhile to absorb and lift.

5. Tons of water, and I do my best to eat better - anything that can reasonably help my liver clean toxins.

I believe that 1 and 2 above are the biggest help. 3 and 4 may be only temporary. (They are anti-oxidants). 5 can't be hurting.

#7 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 06:45 AM

Is glycolycic acid okay on your sensitive skin? Mine is pretty damn sensitive, goes red easy, etc.

Rather than Rose Hip oil (which some users were hailing as a great product a few weeks back after like 2 hours of useage..), give Bio Oil a try.

#8 mikhael

mikhael

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:13 AM

Well, we're soul mates Duluxdog. Pretty much everything makes me go red (or I guess I should say redder), but for some reason "Neostrata 8% glycolic acid smoothing cream for normal to combination skin" doesn't.

I wrote Neostrata an email asking for info on the product, and they actually told me not to use it because glycolic acid is not recommended for sensitive skin.

It makes no sense.

I always take acid holidays though. I never use it for more than a week consecutively - then I give my skin a break.

Bio oil? I'm intrigued.

#9 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 09:40 AM

If the Glycolic Acid ever gets too harsh for your skin, you might consider Glucosamine products. Here are some:
http://www.serioussk...t.asp?compid=19

#10 duluxdog

duluxdog

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for that. I take it that Glucosamine can be used in a peel style application for hyperpigmentation>

#11 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE (duluxdog @ Sep 12 2004, 10:24 AM)
Thanks for that. I take it that Glucosamine can be used in a peel style application for hyperpigmentation>

Here's the acid free peel:
http://www.serioussk...mpid=19&tid=174

#12 wantperfectskin

wantperfectskin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:31 PM

The vinegar method works wonders for any red marks that are left over from pimples. Well, at least it works for me. I just love it.

Please read the thread about it. Since you have sensitive skin, I do not know if your skin will tolerate it. Perhaps, others with sensitive skin can give you advice. My skin tolerates anything.

#13 Vancouver Canucks Fan

Vancouver Canucks Fan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 10:00 PM

I've been using the apple cider vinegar too but i'm not sure if its ok to just put it straight on without diluting it (my face isnt allergic or sensitive to it).... I'm have some medium deep scars and a bunch of very shallow scars and wondering if the vinegar method will help smoothing them...

#14 Peabody8

Peabody8

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2004 - 02:02 AM

I've tried Bio Oil, vinegar, snail slime, Mayerling Skin Rejuventation System ($150 for 2 small tubes)...the list goes on.

I keep coming back to Rose Hip oil.

I have hardly any wrinkles at 32...when I use other moisturises I begin to get creases under my eyes. The skin is improving a lot. It contains a lot of Vitamin C. I think persistence is the key. I'll give you an update in a year. This morning I looked in the mirror and thought my skin is looking really good.

From a topical perspective, to get a result, you need to be consistent, but we're often trying this and then that...and then something else, thinking we're missing out on something.

I'll try a raw diet and Rose Hip oil for a year. If my skin is still bothering me, I'll hopefully have enough money then for plastic surgery of some description.

#15 agentcooper

agentcooper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:44 AM

i've read that rose hip oil is not good for acne-prone skin...does anyone know about that?

#16 mikhael

mikhael

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:56 PM

I had read that as well (regarding acne prone skin). The texture of the oil is quite thick and sticky feeling on the end of the finger, so I imagine it could clog pores.

Like some oils are quite runny - like olive oil, or mineral oil (baby oil). (Not that those are good for acne prone skin either).

#17 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2004 - 11:19 PM

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone. A description of rosehip oil that I stumbled across

Rose Hip Seed Oil - High in linoleic and linolenic acids as well as Vitamin C, essential for the health of the hair and skin. A tissue regenerator. Rose Hip Oil, from the seeds of the wild rose bush Rosa Affinis Rubiginosa (scientific name), offers healing properties to damaged skin. Rose Hip Oil is found in South America, especially in Peru, Argentina and Chile. Grown in the cool, lush mountainous rain valleys of the southern Andes, the Rosa Mosqueta by the people of Chile has been a well-kept secret for centuries. Rose Hip Oil is obtained from the seeds contained in the intensely red berry-like fruits - or hips - of the wild rose-bush. Due to scientific research in recent years in Chile and other parts of the world, the beneficial effects and healing properties of the natural oil extracted from the Rosehip seeds for skin has been validated by the cosmetic and dermatological industries world wide. Rose Hip Oil can be obtained in oil form or in lotions. Rose Hip Oil in certain lotions offers a natural moisturizing solution for sensitive, allergic, sun damaged, hyper pigmented, aged, and scared tissue. It contains natural retinoic acid, a derivative of Retonol (Vitamin A) for the treatment of eye wrinkles, stretch marks, and unsightly spots. It improves burned skin and aids in the relief of dermatitis. Rose Hip Oil is also an excellent preventative for skin photo aging and immediate relief for dry skin and eczema. The Rose Hip Oil belongs to the Rosaceae family, subfamily Rosoideae, genus Rosa. The Oil obtained from the seeds has a high content of non-saturated fatty acids, like Oleic, Linoleic and Linoleic Acid. Due to its physical and chemical characteristic as well as it behavior it is considered a siccative oil. It is commercially obtained by extraction with organic solvents and its purification is achieved through winterization, in order to eliminate the triglycerides of higher saturation. Stabilizers are added to avoid rancidity. The final product is a transparent liquid, yellow-reddish color with a characteristic odor. Besides the mentioned non-saturated fatty acids, the presence of coordinates, Flavonoids, Vitamin C, a ketonic compound (namely 3-pentenpropyl-kentoe) and lately trans-rhodanic acids have been detected, which could be responsible for the pharmacological and therapeutic properties of the Rose Hip Seed Oil. The unique properties of Rosa Mosquenta - Rose Hip Oil were discovered 1983 through a research team from the Faculty of Chemistry and Pharmacology at the University of Concepcion, a prestigious private university in Chile. The study was to evaluate the positive action of the oil in the skin regeneration process. Later in 1988, two doctors published their own extensive findings in a paper titled "Contributions to Identification and Application of Active Components Contained in Rosa Affinis Rubiginosa.