Photo

So Tell Me.. Is This What You Would Consider Bad Acne? (Pictures!)

pimple pimples pop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jayceee

Jayceee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:35 PM

Hi guys and girls, I'm 15 years old and have had acne since I was 12, dealing with it at this age is kinda hard for me because it's summer (I live in Australia) and I have some bad bacne along with facial/Neck acne + I've almost started breaking out on the chest (Yet at the moment it seems to have halted).
These pictures are from last night, as I woke up today I've found that the one pimple on my chin that I had popped (In the picture I believe you can make it out to be enlarged and red) has turned much bigger and yellow.

Currently I'm on Epiduo + Roaccutine, which I both take at night.
I've started to exfoliate with salt mixed with water and poured that on a cloth and just wiped around my back + face.
I use goats milk whilst showering on all of my acne aswell, which seems to dry a majority of my face, but I've noticed that once it does that, some pimples scabs come off and there's the tiniest bit on gunk in their and I can pop it out, but no blood/clear liquid comes out which I assume means the pimple is gone..?

Anyways, I've been on Epiduo + roaccutine for about a month and a half now, a majority of my pimples are caused by me touching my face and popping them (which I know is extremely bad).
The right side of my face practically mimics the left side of my face too, hence no picture Posted Image
I plan on cutting out dairy products from my diet since I also think that's why I have so much acne.

Attached Files

Edited by Jayceee, 18 October 2011 - 11:40 PM.

#2 Ilovemesomevanity

Ilovemesomevanity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:12 AM

aaaah no wiping! stop wiping. its too harsh. i think its harsh on clear skin too, so just dont do it. ever. no more wiping.
the next time you see your dermatologist ask how you can exfoliate without any rubbing or wiping (maybe ask about benzoyl peroxide? ive been using it, but dont start doing anything without asking your derm, cuz i dont know how its going to affect your skin since youre on a prescription)

kay the first thing you need to do is STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE. popping zits is one of the worst things you can do for your skin, it heals better on its own
once i stopped doing that, my skin got 98465136846312x better
aaaand what cleanser are you using? is it the goats milk? im not familiar with goats milk, and i dont really know anything about accutane/roaccutane, so i dont know what youre supposed to do with washing your face and stuff but if you are, i suggest a really simple one like Purpose Gentle Skin Cleanser (i use it, its "gentle as water!" hahaha. not sure if you have it in Australia but im sure you can find something like it) same thing with moisturizer - find something simple and gentle (with words like "hypoallergenic", "non-comedogenic" and and SPF is always good too)

i think cutting out dairy is worth a try. im assuming youve already cut out junk food (easily worse for skin than dairy)
and sleep a good amount if youre not already

so yeah. the main point is to be super gentle and let your skin heal itself. dont touch, dont pop. NO TOUCHIE.
just be dedicated and patient and youll get amah-zing skin!

#3 hotburrito

hotburrito

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

Yes, your acne looks pretty severe to me. Let the roccutane run its course - I've seen it do amazing things for members here... and to echo the poster above, yes, do stop picking/touching your face! I admit I have a problem with this as well (especially since my face ITCHES pretty badly a lot of the time), but dig your fingernails into your palm if you have to (I literally have scars from taking this preventive action) - just don't touch your face/pick your acne.

Cutting out dairy sounds like a good idea to me - at the very least, it probably can't hurt? I don't think dairy is one of my triggers (tbh I don't think my acne is food-related at all), but I cut it out anyway and I'm trying to vastly reduce the amount of gluten I eat as well just in case. It really SUCKS, though. Sometimes after a bad day you really just want to come home to a good meal and instead have to limit yourself to... congee and cucumber.

#4 Jayceee

Jayceee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

aaaah no wiping! stop wiping. its too harsh. i think its harsh on clear skin too, so just dont do it. ever. no more wiping.
the next time you see your dermatologist ask how you can exfoliate without any rubbing or wiping (maybe ask about benzoyl peroxide? ive been using it, but dont start doing anything without asking your derm, cuz i dont know how its going to affect your skin since youre on a prescription)

kay the first thing you need to do is STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE. popping zits is one of the worst things you can do for your skin, it heals better on its own
aaaand what cleanser are you using? is it the goats milk? im not familiar with goats milk, and i dont really know anything about accutane/roaccutane, so i dont know what youre supposed to do with washing your face and stuff but if you are, i suggest a really simple one like Purpose Gentle Skin Cleanser (i use it, its "gentle as water!" hahaha. not sure if you have it in Australia but im sure you can find something like it) same thing with moisturizer - find something simple and gentle (with words like "hypoallergenic", "non-comedogenic" and and SPF is always good too)

i think cutting out dairy is worth a try. im assuming youve already cut out junk food (easily worse for skin than dairy)

so yeah. the main point is to be super gentle and let your skin heal itself. dont touch, dont pop. NO TOUCHIE.

Thankyou for the reply :)
I'll stop wiping my face with the cloth, but what I really mean't was I was just doing some gentle circle motions around my face and back (As I've read it's helped people? Sorry I'm no good at this exfolliating stuff..), but I'll be sure to talk to my derm next time I see him.

I've looked around the house and found this cleanser called ' Lacura Face care; Facial toner' and Lacura Face care; cleansing milk', is there any specific ingredients that I should watch out for when looking at cleansers? The facial toner contains Citric acid and Benzyl Alcohol whilst the cleansing milk contains Benzoic acid.

And yeah I do suppose I need to get some more sleep, as for junk food, well I keep that at a minimum.

(especially since my face ITCHES pretty badly a lot of the time),

Cheers for the reply, and yeah, I get a pretty itchy face aswell :/

#5 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:58 AM

Isn't it awkward how some dermatologists think wiping/rubbing the skin is bad (i.e. wiping it with a cloth) while others have no problem with it..

#6 Ham84

Ham84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

I advise you to throw away all the stuff you're using right now and only stick to one gentle facial wash and one non-comedogenic, fragance-free, non-greasy, hydrating moisturizer while on Accutane and stick to this regimen.

Alot of people are using the Cetaphil-line. The Cetaphil moisturizer lotion contains tocopheryl acetate, more commonly known as vitamin E. According to dermatologists, vitamin E fades red marks and improves scarring.

Let Roa do its job. Give your skin a break, stop exfoliating, don't overwash it (only twice a day) and stop putting harsh stuff on your skin.

Edited by Ham84, 19 October 2011 - 08:28 AM.

#7 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

Echoing what has been said above, let Roaccutane do its job and get rid of all those harsh products you're using. They are just tearing your skin to shreds.

Limit washing your face to 5 minutes - twice a day. Splash some warm water over it - use a very gentle liquid cleanser both times. Avoid products that guarantee a "tingle" or "cold refreshing tingle" - they normally contain harsh ingredients to provide the tingle. Just a very simple liquid cleanser will do.

Try a moisturiser? Again, a very simple moisturiser with no harsh ingredients such as SA (Salicylic acid), Tea Tree Oil etc. Just one that will hydrate and provide essential nutrients to your skin. Moisturising can balance skin oils too - which is never a bad thing!

Cutting dairy - it's always worth a try.

Do not pick or touch your skin! Just leave it alone.

Be very gentle when washing your face and applying moisturiser. Just let your fingers glide across the skin. No rubbing!

#8 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

I would do whatever you can to stop spreading the acne bacteria . I would find a mild antiseptic soap - I don't know what is available in Australia, but anything with tea trea oil in it is good as it is a natural antiseptic. The body shop do a tea-trea oil range, think that it includes a cleanser and moisturiser.

Stop touching your face completely. Use a clean towel and pillowcase each day.

Avoid irritating your skin - so no wiping/scrubbing.

Be as gentle and as simple as you can be in your skincare routine - I would avoid using multiple products.

The roaccutane works - it is working for me, but it's very harsh on your skin so treat it like a baby!

#9 retah

retah

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

I have to agree with what everyone said about using a gentle face wash. No, you dont need any sort of antiseptic soap because the Accutane is thinning your skin, making it very sensitive. Stick with a wash such as Cetaphil and a plain moisturizer and your medicine will do its job.

Good luck!

#10 AbyBar

AbyBar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

You should use cetaphil it's a gentle cleanser while being on accutane. Remember accutane shuts down your sebaceous glands thus it will not produce much sebum which is the cause for clogged pores and pimples obviously. Definitely cut out dairy and junk food, stick to a healthy diet. Besides accutane will do it's a Job . I'n no time you will be clear, so don't touch or puck your face and use a gentle face wash. Do not exfoliate or anything because that will make your skin super dry since your on accutane.
Good luck and I know it's gna get better :)

#11 Ilovemesomevanity

Ilovemesomevanity

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

i agree with the other posts, i think since youre on roaccutane you should just stick to a simple and gentle cleanser & moisturizer. citric acid sounds kind of harsh, so i dont think you should use the Lacura stuff (sorry, wasting money, i know...) Cetaphil's good though so you should look for that

#12 Jayceee

Jayceee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:00 AM

Thanks alot for the posts people!
I don't think I will be cutting out epiduo from my regime though, although my acne looks bad at the moment, it looks much better then when I wasn't on it (Plus I tend to develop a couple more pimples then usual when I don't apply it/miss a night of using it).
I've heard good and bad things for it though, most people tend to complain about it making their face burn and abandoning it and the such whilst others praise it for clearing their acne up, so I'm really on the edge about this product, infact you guys/girls are really making me want to leave the epiduo alone, but I'm so unsure! :/
The only thing stopping me from stopping the epiduo treatment is that I've been using it for a while now, and only now am I starting to see results haha.
The Lacura milk cleanser and Facial toner has actually made my pimples look quite a bit better today, the milk cleanser contains vitamin E so I'm hoping it fades some of the scarring away in the long term.

Edited by Jayceee, 20 October 2011 - 02:04 AM.

#13 Ham84

Ham84

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 30
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:54 AM

Your dermatologist prescribed you Epiduo, so I think you should apply it as well before you go to bed. You're seeing results with Epiduo as well, so another reason why you should continue with this topical.

I never used Epiduo before, but it contains Adapalene, which is similar to vitamin A. Roa also contains vitamin A. So basically you're fighting acne both internally and externally.

If your skin feels dry and is flaking alot, use a non-comedogenic, non greasy moisturizer.

Our skin's a wonderful organ with amazing healing abilities. However, the healing process takes time. That's why one should try out one simple regimen (with gentle products) and stick to it for at least one month. Some people don't realize that or are too inpatient, so they give up on a regimen after a few days if no results show up.

Good luck man! Don't think too much about your skin and you'll be cured in no time.

#14 AyeAye

AyeAye

Veteran Member

• Moderators
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:48 AM

Yup, good luck with it all Jayceee and I'm glad that you're starting to see some results. Acne sucks but its not the sum of us! I second all the comments about cetiphil cleanser and moisturiser and we can get it here in Australia from chemists. I would defo stop exfoliating though....its far too harsh and you are probably increasing the risk of scarring even if it does make your skin feel smoother in the short term.

Let us know how you get on a few months down the track! Posted Image

#15 Jayceee

Jayceee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:31 AM

I was just changed to 20mg Roacuttine yesterday from 10mg.
I also picked up some QV daily moisturizer and body wash.

Some new pimples formed on the back of my neck, it started with one which was really painful and needed to be popped, sadly 4-5 more have appeared over the course of a couple of days :/

#16 Jayceee

Jayceee

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:42 AM

Pretty late to say this but most of my acne has cleared up and I'm left with some pretty bad acne scarring.
I've tried Bio-Oil recently for a good 2 weeks or so, I've noticed that the acne scarring left side of my face has started fading away very slightly, but the oil keeps causing 2-3 more pimples every couple of days or so, so now I'm going to stop using it.

I've decided to also stop using Epiduo too, and just let Roaccutine do its work, and now going to buy Gold Bond Extra Strength Body Powder for my back.
Also I'm subbing out QV for tea tree oil.
Anyone have any recommendations for anything that gets rid of acne scarring for the face?

Edited by Jayceee, 29 November 2011 - 04:45 AM.

#17 Natalie5511

Natalie5511

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 November 2011 - 05:29 AM

Is your acne scarring indented like little pits? If so not much you can do until you are off roaccutane they say wait at least 6 months after finishing as you could get more scarring trying to do treatments to make them better. After its cleared up, and you have waited maybe look into peels, it sofened out my pits/indents, then i used dermarolling in between peels. Also massaging the area 3 times a day seemed to have a great impact on them to months down the line :) Tca peels are good although they dont do tca cross where i live id love to get that done. :(

#18 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:49 PM

I dont understand what your question is, i think it is moderately severe and you must control it, the good thing is you are already in a good treatment. If you want to cut dairy and get into a healthy diet (better than accutane) check this out http://www.acne.org/...-you-have-acne/