• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Shopping,reading
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

March 11th
Skin update! I came with 2 news this week. One is that my skin is still clear and smooth. And the other one is that my menstrual cycle is still out of wack (even with 50mg I still get 2 periods a month). Other than that I gained 3.5 lbs (finally!) by adding back some dairy and wheat products ( they are not a big part of my diet anyways).
Overall my skin looks pretty good, especially when I don't overwash it. I exfoliate my skin with baking soda once a month. I'd like to try some new topicals in the near future, but still doin' my research about that.
P.S I'm happy with Spiro and my skin even though regulating hormones and maintaining clear skin is possible only with these pills.

#42 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

March 15th
I got a refill on Spiro 50mg. Pills came white again. I got 2-3 minor spots on my cheeks before and during my period. I hope I won't get a new period this month. Now I have a diet plan that is safe and not dull like it used to be. I get more than 8 hours of sleep ( lucky me huh) and I try to not touch my face.
Sigh...If I only could outgrow acne and never ever need those pills....

#43 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

March 21th
Up-date!!!
Nothin' exciting tho, my period is wacko again and I got 2 tiny spots before that. Same cycle all over again....Kinda tired of this fluctuating hormones already. I'm screwed! But I'm still taking Spiro becoz I desperately wanna "live" like a normal person. I don't give a sh** as long as it keeps my skin clear.

#44 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

March 30th
Update time!!! My skin is doin' good with 50mg Spiro and topicals. I'm kinda off my diet now, I eat random treats such as dairy and wheat products, however no major breakouts have occurred as a result of their consumption and I don't want to lose more weight and developing eating disorder along with skin disorder. I still avoid sugar and too much gluten though ( for safety sake). The only thing that pisses me off with this drug is that I get 2 periods a month. Ever since I've receieved those yellow pills, I've been dealing with irregular menstruation. Before that ( with white pills) I didn't have this issue. Other than that I'm happy with Spiro, even tho I'm being paranoid sometimes regarding some scary long term-usage-side effects ( tumors, inrcease of potassium levels) but I try to keep sane.
P.S It looks like I'll be taking Spiro for undefined period of time, since my derm doesn't think I will ever outgrow acne, because I'm genetically predisposed to this skin disease and because of Cali's humid weather which doesn't contribute to natural skin healing.

#45 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

April 5th
First update of the month! It's been a clear-skin week. No redness and new breakouts, EVEN THOUGH I ate a lot of crappy food recently( including gluten and dairy). I'm kinda waiting for flare ups,lol. Other than that I'm satisfied with Spiro and BP cream. I just hope that I won't get another period this month.

#46 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

April 13th
I had an appointment yesterday with my dermatologist, got my monthly refill of Spiro and had another chemical peel. I've been eating too much gluten and dairy recently, but no major breakouts appeared ( thanks God). I also stopped getting 2 periods a month since I decreased the dosage to 50mg. I hope it will get back to normal next month as well. Oh..and I got a new face scrub from LUSH. It's ocean salt, all natural ingredients, no chemicals. I tried it once and atually I'm happy with the results. It doesn't overdry my skin, helps with red marks and I hope it will prevent whiteheads in the future.

#47 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

April 20th
This week my skin went from dangerously oily-acne prone to dry and flakey. It lasted for a day tho. Now it has calmed down. I had my period therefore I got a little spot on my chin ( i never break out on that area tho), it's gone now. I got scared thinking that my acne comes back ( with oiliness) but then I figured that my period was on its way. However these spots are nothing compared to those cystic and nasty breakouts that would take months to go away then there were ugly scars left over. Anyways, I hope someday I'll be able to maintain clear skin without pills or BP creams, but for now I'm satisfied with Spiro's results.
P.S I keep eating crap,lol

Edited by amy91, 20 April 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#48 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

April 29th
So it's been a clear week, with no pimples AT ALL. Yes, I know it's been my dream since 2009. However I feel guilty with each loaf of bread or piece of cake, still holing those fears inside about diet and acne relation. I should've figured it out by now though, because foods doesn't really cuase my acne, unlike hormones right before my period. I haven't changed anthing in my daily skin routin, i'm still on Spironolactone ( 50mg)). Now instead of enjoying my clear skin I'm being self-conscious of my ridiculously skiny body that makes shopping miserable. I still hope to gain those darn 10lbs by the end of the Spring.

#49 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

May 6th
I've been clear the whole week. Spiro is really worth a try. I'm just getting upset with each month because I know someday I'll have to stop taking these magic pills....Sigh*

#50 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

May 17th
My skin has been clear during these 10 days. I still take Spiro 50mg and it's been almost 10 months with these pills. 10 clear months that brought my confidence back, now I feel like myself again, I don't shy away from new pple, I am not afraid of standing lil bit closer to the person who Im talkin to and much more little details that have disappeared as my skin got clear. I used to float around acne.org trying to find solutions or emotional support. I am very grateful to Spiro that allows me to enjoy life again. But I know this will not last forever, someday I'll have to stop taking these pills because long term usage of drugs is not safe. I hope by that time I'll have grown out of my acne. If not then back to square 1 I guess...round 2! But as for now, I feel like a normal person. Yay!

#51 hopefulgirl123

hopefulgirl123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

May 17th
My skin has been clear during these 10 days. I still take Spiro 50mg and it's been almost 10 months with these pills. 10 clear months that brought my confidence back, now I feel like myself again, I don't shy away from new pple, I am not afraid of standing lil bit closer to the person who Im talkin to and much more little details that have disappeared as my skin got clear. I used to float around acne.org trying to find solutions or emotional support. I am very grateful to Spiro that allows me to enjoy life again. But I know this will not last forever, someday I'll have to stop taking these pills because long term usage of drugs is not safe. I hope by that time I'll have grown out of my acne. If not then back to square 1 I guess...round 2! But as for now, I feel like a normal person. Yay!

Glad to hear spiro is working for you!! I'm around 4 months! Can't wait to be completely clear. I still get 1-3 actives at a time.

#52 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

May 17th

Glad to hear spiro is working for you!! I'm around 4 months! Can't wait to be completely clear. I still get 1-3 actives at a time.

It's going to get clear completely, just give it 2 more months.
My skin is absolutely clear now. I don't get pimples even before my period. It's so clear that it's scary,lol. Maybe 'cuz I used to crappy looking skin. I hated my life, every single day of it when I had acne. Now, Spiro brought my life back. All I need is just wash my face twice a day and It's enough now. It's been 10 months with this medicine and I'm absolutely acne free! If you're a woman/girl with hormonal cystic acne that gets worse before your menstruation, then you should definitely consider asking your dermatologist for Spironolactone.
P.S Even if this is only a temprorary fix, it's still awesome because it workS.

#53 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

May 4th
One more clear month with Spiro! No breakouts, no whiteheads, no red skin and not even flakes. Even though I want to try new topicals that would exfoliate my skin better than harsh texture of baking soda.

#54 harleyquinn1801

harleyquinn1801

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

happy to see spiro is working for you. do you watch your potassium intake a lot since taking it? idk if i can handle not eating foods that are high in potassium since i seem to love coconuts, bananas, spinach... are you taking a birth control and have you noticed any severe side effects like super dry skin or having to use the bathroom often?

#55 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

happy to see spiro is working for you. do you watch your potassium intake a lot since taking it? idk if i can handle not eating foods that are high in potassium since i seem to love coconuts, bananas, spinach... are you taking a birth control and have you noticed any severe side effects like super dry skin or having to use the bathroom often?

I was a little worried about potassium level increase as well. However, I'm taking only 50mg, so it should not harm my body even with having 1 banana each day. Other than that Spiro is just working perfectly well, except it might mess with menstrual cycle for some ( and for me) and it should not be consumed long term ( as any other drug tho). My skin is 99.99% acne free currently, due to Spironolactone and BP cream topically. I eat gluten, sugar and dairy products every day and they don't affect my skin. So therefore, acne and diet are not always related.

#56 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

I'm back to give a little update. So this month it would be a year since I've been taking Spiro 50mg. It's been a gret journey, lil bit frustrating at first because my pimples were still visible every month during my period. However, in 3.5 months it cleared 90% of my breakouts and whola, I'm sitting here with no flare ups at all, with a clear ass skin. I've tried those dumb diets (glute,sugar,dairy free), facials, multiple washes and topicals, NONE of them has done a damn for my skin. Only Spiro did. I'm lucky that I havn't had to take Accutane or birth controls ( these drugs freak me out, but so is Spiro).
Nevertheless, I kinda got used to having clear skin and it would suck to have pimples again as I stop taking the pills. I'll probably stay on the pills 'till the fall 2012, then I'll slowly stop ( like taking every other day, or every 2 days and etc). I'll keep u guys updated, especially when I stop the Spiro treatment. Hope those cystic breakouts won't appear again (Fingers crossed).

#57 jaydeec

jaydeec

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 01 July 2012 - 04:27 AM

This is so good to hear. I'm happy for you. I hope you continue to stay acne free...forever :) Doesn't it suck to be plagued with acne and have to worry about this b.s , while others it seems live an acne free life. I have a some questions for you, I've read your logs buy can't remember. What dosage did u get started on with the Spiro? I'm currently on 50mg and epiduo. I use La Roche posay Effaclar K (salicylic acid/LHA ) in the morning. How long did it take for you to see noticeable results? Did u suffer from bloating? And do u take it with BCP ( sorry, can't recall if you do or don't) i'm going back to a new derm on the 9th. Its been almost a month (in a week) since I started the Spiro. i don't expect miracles, but I'm not even seeing such a great reduction in oil production, I saw better results with Saw Palmetto. I was taking the SP 3/4 x's a day. Since starting the Sprio I've reduced the SP to 1x's a day. Also for the past two days, I've noticed that my oil is increasing again. Ugh

Oh I just saw your on 50 mg same as me, so another question...have u always been on that dosage? I want to increase to see if my oiliness with drastically be reduced and to see if I start clearing up. I've experienced some breakouts since starting it. They're not as bad as before, and they def don't linger around like before, but I think the Epiduo is doing that and not the Spiro.

#58 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Skin update time!!! So I've been taking Spiro every other day for 2 weeks, and my skin still remains clear. I might do this for a while before I quit taking the pills. I wash my face only twice a day now ( instead of 3-4 washes with harsh chemicals). Actually, I got used to clear skin so I hope it will get better without Spiro. Some pple eventually outgrow their acne begore 25-28. So maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones. If not, then I'll have to take pills and do harsh chemical peels for the rest of my life,lol.

#59 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

August 23th
Okay, I know I have neglected this log for a while, but I came with new updates and to share my experiment. So I've been taking Spiro, every other day for like 30 days. Eventually I got flare ups on my chin and random red pimples on my cheek. End Of The Experiment! Plus I've been washing my face less than usual and it's been super hot in Los angeles. I felt insecure again and even refused to go to the party. However, I finally figured that this is all about my hormones. Spiro (even with 50mg) helps regulate my fluctuating hormones and keeps my skin clear.
Yeah, I'm a little upset that I can't maintain clear condition without pills, but o'well. I'll keep taking these pills for a while, maybe I'll take another break for a month I guess, then back to the regimen. On and off. The reason that I took them every other day was that I thought I must give a break to my body for a while. It's a drug afterall and has side effects ( even tho its a low dose), but cystic breakouts are sucha turnoff, especially nown when i'm dating a guy. So I had to go back to the pills.
P.S This is what u get when u think you've already overcome acne.

#60 amy91

amy91

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
    movies,camping

Achievements

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

September 23th
Skin Update time! I'm still taking Spiro 50 mg every day or every other day. It's very irregular. My skin is clear and no major breakout occurred. However, before my period my chin covered with 2-3 annoying pimples ( and I stopped taking pills for a while) but then cleared up really quick and there are no even red marks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users