magnesium ginger probiotic

4 replies to this topic

#1 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:14 PM

So Oz did a show on Friday on fad Detox diets. Juice fasts, that thing with the syrup and cayenne pepper, something I'd never heard of with several protein shakes per day. etc. They didn't mention the 3-day apple fast that for some reason is so popular here. Then he presented the version he and his cronies came up with.

Unlike most fad cleanses and detoxes, in his detox plan...
What you do is consume the nutrients that help your major detoxing organs function. So, points to Dr. Oz.

For the 48-hour program that includes a recipe for quinoa for breakfast, a kale, pineapple and ginger smoothie snack and some other smoothies for lunch, and a cabbage soup for dinner. Recipes and more info: http://www.doctoroz....317=billboard_1

Things in italics are my comments:

• The Liver: Your first line of defense against toxins is your liver, which acts like a filter in preventing toxic substances contained in foods from passing into your blood stream.
  • The Colon: This organ has bacteria that produce both healthy and unhealthy chemicals. You want to keep your colon flowing regularly since its main role is to flush out toxic chemicals before they can do you any harm.
  • The Kidneys: Like clockwork, the kidneys are constantly filtering your blood and getting rid of toxins in the form of urine.

Of course, in his usual fashion, he then recommended one or two nutrients/foods for each when there are actually many nutrients and foods involved.

The Liver

• Dark berries such as blueberries and blackberries will make it easier for your liver to get rid of certain toxins.
  • Hot peppers have capsaicin, which boosts enzymes responsible for detoxifying the liver. As a rule, the hotter the pepper, the more capsaicin.
The Colon
  • Whole grains contain phosphorous, a natural laxative, and fiber to help bulk up your stools. see below
  • Fermented foods like kimchi (Korean spicy pickled cabbage) and sour pickles are packed with probiotics, the good bacteria that help protect your colon.
The Kidneys
  • Soy products such as miso, tofu and edamame all act like diuretics, allowing you to urinate more often.
  • Cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, bok choy and broccoli increase your kidney’s ability to transport toxins into the urine and help liver cells recover from detox.

* But it would be even better to find another source besides whole grains for your phosphorus, and be careful of soy. It's common to be allergic and the estrogenic affects help some people but make others worse.  Try some other seed such as almonds, lentils, etc. Or yogurt, eggs, or other animal protein. Or a more benign grain or grainlike seed such as properly soaked, sprouted or fermented oats or buckwheat

You should actually consume these nutrients all the time so your detoxing organs can function all the time. But they came up with a 48-hour cleanse program for those that want to do that sort of thing. And it involves quinoa, rather than any actual whole grain.

Coincidentally, I'd had quinoa and smoothie (cabbage and berries in mine) for breakfast and had a cabbage soup kind of Mexican style that included poblano peppers already simmering on the stove when I sat down to watch and see if he'd covered anything good that day. I can't remember what my main meal earlier in the day was.

He also recommended epsom salt baths for the magnesium and sulfur, which I would so do if I liked taking baths. The magnesium is absorbed through the skin and sooo good for sleep. And topical sulfur is really good for healing.

Edited by alternativista, 21 February 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#2 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

This was cool to read, thanks AV. My grandparents love Dr. Oz.

#3 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

Really. I can't stand all the goofy games and superficial answers in the show. Especially when he's asked about acne and just gives some one sentence response about diet. That's why i record it so I can see if in the hour of goofiness he has one or two useful things to say. But at least he has something useful to say once in a while and preaches diet and lifestyle over drugs. I have to like him for that. I just hate the dumbed down show. It was better the first season where the middle third was always about someone losing weight. So you could just check out the beginning and the end to see what the topics were.

#4 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

Really. I can't stand all the goofy games and superficial answers in the show. Especially when he's asked about acne and just gives some one sentence response about diet. That's why i record it so I can see if in the hour of goofiness he has one or two useful things to say. But at least he has something useful to say once in a while and preaches diet and lifestyle over drugs. I have to like him for that. I just hate the dumbed down show. It was better the first season where the middle third was always about someone losing weight. So you could just check out the beginning and the end to see what the topics were.

It is sooooo goofy. I was at my grandparent's house one time and he was demonstrating how to lance a blister or something and had a giant model of one, had someone from the audience lance it with a huge needle (this took some effort to pierce whatever plastic material had been used) after which some kind of liquid (let's hope water) trickled out. I was incredulous.

Yeah, I think he's said something about vinegar and acne because once when they were picking me up from my mom's house my grandpa was like "TELL HER ABOUT THE VINEGAR LORAINE" almost as soon as I had gotten in the car. My grandmother held off until later to tell me they had seen something on television about using it topically. At the time it was kind of mortifying but now I think it's funny.

#5 Vinchenzo

Vinchenzo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:10 PM

I so agree with the goofy games! I only watch the episodes with the healthy diets or acne treatments. But since i have school I only get to watch the last 15 minutes of it :S

I remember I watched one episode when I didn't have school where he answered a question about about acne and all he said was eat more leafy greens and less junk food. I was like " I sat down for half and hour to hear that!" But his segments on healthy eating are quite helpful.

Edited by Changed Name, 09 October 2011 - 09:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users