Photo

Claravis Log: Repeat Offenders Edition

claravis persistent moderate acne vitamin d probiotic dermabrasion chemical peel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
137 replies to this topic

#41 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:23 PM

day # 12 - so i had 2 new under the skin bumps pop up today but suprisingly, they didn't bug me that much. I tried just going out with my neutrogena moisturizer and found that it didn't moisturize my dry skin so i think i'll have to coninue mixing it with cetaphil. I notice that a few of the bumps that popped up this week have shrunk so hopefully my new visitors will get the hint and do the same. I took my pills at 8 pm and i feel soooooo drowsy! I think i'll start doing it at night versus in the morning to see if i am able to function better at work. My face is still looking greasy (made even worse by the moisturizer) but it feels dry - no flaking....yet. Those under the skin bumps on my cheeks are coming up and i expect them to make their grand appearance before the end of the weekPosted Image . Overall, the biggest thing i notice so far besides the horrendous side effects, is that my overall texture has improved. It could be from my facial two weeks ago or from the Claravis. Either way, it's one positive thing happening. I'll post pics tomorrow as i am so tired - Oh Claravis, thanks for impeding on my already fragile social life!

My mood today was great and i so needed thatPosted Image

Edited by sasch12, 22 October 2011 - 06:24 PM.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

God is good to me..........more than I deserve.

James 1:2-4

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#42 dreamer003

dreamer003

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:02 AM

Hey Sasch, nice to hear your skin texture is looking better! Can't wait for that to happen Posted Image
I take my pills at night as well, can't really do it otherwise cause i don't eat regularly during the daytime Posted Image Are the pills really making you tired? Great, i'm not really the most energetic person to begin with..

Edited by dreamer003, 23 October 2011 - 06:03 AM.

#43 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

Hey Sasch, nice to hear your skin texture is looking better! Can't wait for that to happen Posted Image
I take my pills at night as well, can't really do it otherwise cause i don't eat regularly during the daytime Posted Image Are the pills really making you tired? Great, i'm not really the most energetic person to begin with..

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things are headed up. Yeah - the pills definitely make me dog dead tired so nighttime it is.

Day # 13

I noticed today that the sides of my nose are peeling (no matter how much i moisturize). It doesn't bother me too much...yet. Two more under the skin friends decided to join the party on my face so we'll see how long they take to leave. The two that were there yesterday are still there today. The under the skin bumps on both my upper cheek bones are coming to a head .....slooooooooooowly. Overall, texture feels better but i am definitely still breaking out. Ahh Claravis- can't wait to see what element of surprise you bring to me this week!

On another note, i don't like how Claravis makes my body/mind feel. I feel extremely lathargic and a bit 'high' like when on cold medicine. Will have to mention it to my derm when i see her in a few weeks. Anyway else have similar symptoms?

Edited by sasch12, 23 October 2011 - 01:56 PM.

It's a rocky road but like everything else in life, there is always a beginning and an end.  Here's to finding my end.

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

#44 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

Day # 14

Today has been absolutely TERRIBLE! Last night i slept in 1 hr shifts - having to get up to use the bathroom. I'm having that checked out by my doctor. I cried 3 times already today and its not even NOON! And i definitely have new pimples today. All in all today sucked! I am tired as crap but i plan to keep forging ahead until i get my blood work for next month. My lips are mega dry and gross and my skin looks oily- I am definitely not in a good mood today. Oh Claravis.....how i HATE YOU SO!!!!!!

#45 Riosha

Riosha

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

Sweet Sascha, I am still with you and following you on that very same number of days and that very same dose.

I am sorry to hear that you are not well :(
...if it's any comfort (which it could or could not be) I am experiencing similar symptoms.

My skin today: HORRIBLE!!! My lips are falling a part, my skin is oily, terribly red og violently sore (as if the every scar I've ever had has come back and even grown!), I am having pimples and blackheads coming out every-frikkin-where and at the same time my face is flaking and dry all over...
I am soooo tired - and I've noticed that my stomach is upset these days and I'm also peeing more than usually. I don't know if that's normal...?

Also my body ironically seems to be retaining water, I feel like everything has just grown... I dunno.

Sorry - I don't want to go on about my horrific side effects here, but I'm just trying to let you know that on the same dose on the same dates...it might not be a coincidence what we are experiencing...

Hugs!
Riosha

#46 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:57 PM

Sweet Sascha, I am still with you and following you on that very same number of days and that very same dose.

I am sorry to hear that you are not well Posted Image
...if it's any comfort (which it could or could not be) I am experiencing similar symptoms.

My skin today: HORRIBLE!!! My lips are falling a part, my skin is oily, terribly red og violently sore (as if the every scar I've ever had has come back and even grown!), I am having pimples and blackheads coming out every-frikkin-where and at the same time my face is flaking and dry all over...
I am soooo tired - and I've noticed that my stomach is upset these days and I'm also peeing more than usually. I don't know if that's normal...?

Also my body ironically seems to be retaining water, I feel like everything has just grown... I dunno.

Sorry - I don't want to go on about my horrific side effects here, but I'm just trying to let you know that on the same dose on the same dates...it might not be a coincidence what we are experiencing...

Hugs!
Riosha

Thanks for the support Riosha! I need it so bad. Sorry to hear that you too are going through this. I guess i forgot how difficult this treatment can be. I see my doctor tomorrow to get some tests done as i am worried about some of these side effects. Peeing a lot has been reported but i'm not sure if it is the norm. But anyway, here's to hoping tomorrow and the rest of the week gets better. Also hoping your side effects let up too. We're in this together. Thanks again for the pick me up hun. It is appreciated.

#47 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Day # 15

Took my pills five minute ago. Today was blah for me - still emotional but not as bad as yesterday. Lips are dryer than a mutha. Skin was shiny and greasy looking and had new pimples today. What else is new! I'm at a place with claravis where i feel as if its more of the same $#!t but just a different day. Still feeling tired to the max and peeing alot. MY GP said to continue taking this until blood results come back. Hoping for the best.

#48 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Day # 16 - nothing new to report except more new pimples - once cyst like pimple on my cheek and a few under the skin, gross looking bumps. My face is oliy to the touch and very greasy looking. My lips are getting DRY and Aquaphor is just not cutting it. I am definitely not liking Claravis at the moment Posted Image . When did other users notice a let up in oil production. What moisturizers are you guys using that doesn't make your face shiny?

#49 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

DAY # 17 - Ouch! So right now i am experiencing bumps that hurt like a mutha - they are big, under the skin and extra hard to the touch. They are also developing in clusters - i guess even acne needs buddies Posted Image My face is super oily but i find that if i blot with sheets, i look less greasy. My nose has a ton of blackheads which in the bigger scheme of things doesn't bother me at all and it is peeling on the sides. My face is not dry (thanks Cetaphil!) but i'm not getting too complacent. I get my blood work next week so that will determine if i continue on this path or not. I'll be sad if i have to stop but even acne is not worth my long term health.

#50 dreamer003

dreamer003

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:37 AM

I hope you're doing okay sach! It really would be sad if you have to stop now :(
I'm having those clusters too ughh i have to force myself not to pick at them.
Hold on :)

#51 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:15 PM

I hope you're doing okay sach! It really would be sad if you have to stop now Posted Image
I'm having those clusters too ughh i have to force myself not to pick at them.
Hold on Posted Image

Thanks for the support dreamer. Blood work results were not what i was hoping for but the doctor did not take me off the meds. I will be seeing my derm next week and will get another blood test done so if she agrees that i should stay on, then i will. The most worrying side effect at the moment is my need to pee all the damn time. My bladder was not the strongest to start with but this is just ridiculous. I would hate to be taken off as topicals have not worked for me but if the doc told me to stop, i would do it in a heartbeat. I'd pic my health over acne, any day.

Day # 18

Can't believe its almost the third week already! I am getting more small, inflamed pimples on the side of my chin (so much for being clear) as well as the tiny tiny pimples that don't seem inflamed but have a very rough texture. My forehead is smoother and blackheads have gone but my nose is another matter. lots of blackheads and a rough texture. A painful cyst like pimple on my chin has started to shrink ever so slightly. Here is to its departure. Skin is oily, not dry looking or feeling today. Lips are getting dry but i'm moisturizing (i don't care if i look like a took a bathe in oil). Overall, my skin has gotten worse compared to last week but i know it could be worse so i'm not complaining. Here's to great weekend! Everyone Enjoy!

#52 Riosha

Riosha

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the support dreamer. Blood work results were not what i was hoping for but the doctor did not take me off the meds. I will be seeing my derm next week and will get another blood test done so if she agrees that i should stay on, then i will. The most worrying side effect at the moment is my need to pee all the damn time. My bladder was not the strongest to start with but this is just ridiculous. I would hate to be taken off as topicals have not worked for me but if the doc told me to stop, i would do it in a heartbeat. I'd pic my health over acne, any day.

Day # 18

Can't believe its almost the third week already! I am getting more small, inflamed pimples on the side of my chin (so much for being clear) as well as the tiny tiny pimples that don't seem inflamed but have a very rough texture. My forehead is smoother and blackheads have gone but my nose is another matter. lots of blackheads and a rough texture. A painful cyst like pimple on my chin has started to shrink ever so slightly. Here is to its departure. Skin is oily, not dry looking or feeling today. Lips are getting dry but i'm moisturizing (i don't care if i look like a took a bathe in oil). Overall, my skin has gotten worse compared to last week but i know it could be worse so i'm not complaining. Here's to great weekend! Everyone Enjoy!

Sweet Sasch - I am glad you're blood samples were good!! It's important. And yes - you should always choose your general health over acne, I think. But with these pills it's seems hard to judge where the line between the one and the other goes, because of all the side effects that may be just normal and passing - or may be more serious. It's hard to know really...

On this third week my skin is worse than ever, but we're on our way to an era of beautiful skin, so... I guess you just gotta fight for your medal ;-)
I will. We will :)

#53 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

Day # 18

Sweet Sasch - I am glad you're blood samples were good!! It's important. And yes - you should always choose your general health over acne, I think. But with these pills it's seems hard to judge where the line between the one and the other goes, because of all the side effects that may be just normal and passing - or may be more serious. It's hard to know really...

On this third week my skin is worse than ever, but we're on our way to an era of beautiful skin, so... I guess you just gotta fight for your medal ;-)
I will. We will Posted Image

Thanks for the continued support Riosha - it really has helped boost my spirit. As i continue on this journey, i am realizing that acne is not the worst thing that can possibly happen to me. As i mentioned before, i have recently been battling other health issues and my acne has somewhat taken a back seat to that. I guess what i am trying to say is that if i had to be taken off of Claravis, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Some days i'm ok with that and other days the thought of abandoning treatment makes me break down in tears. Anyway, on to the report:

Day #19 I definitely count at least 3 visibly inflamed red bumps. One under my chin and one on either side of my jaw. I also have loads of smaller looking bumps on my upper cheek bones. My forehead is probably the smoothest area with just a handful of barely visible bumps. Overall, my skin is ehh. I am able to leave my house without too much anxiety and zero makeup so not much to complain about. I am itching a lot more though and my lips get dry if i don't aquaphor every hour on the hour. The one positive side effect of claravis though is that i sleep at night like a baby (except when i have to get up for the gazillionth time to pee). Face is still shiny but doesn't feel dry and i find that oil blotting sheets help a ton!

#54 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

Day # 20 - Another day, other annoying side effects. Still peeing like a mutha but i've been checking my glucose levels and they are normal so it really must be the Claravis. My facial texture is rough and grainy, especially on my nose - i guess my blackheads wanna come out and play! I am definitely noticing many under the skin bumps coming up and less tiny whitehead bumps. Kinda curious to see if this is the initial outbreak (or a continuance of the initial outbreak) or if its a preclude to my IO. I guess time will tell. Face is still oily, lips and nose are the only dry areas.

Ahh Claravis .....what goodies will you bring me this week?

#55 Riosha

Riosha

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:44 PM

Day # 20 - Another day, other annoying side effects. Still peeing like a mutha but i've been checking my glucose levels and they are normal so it really must be the Claravis. My facial texture is rough and grainy, especially on my nose - i guess my blackheads wanna come out and play! I am definitely noticing many under the skin bumps coming up and less tiny whitehead bumps. Kinda curious to see if this is the initial outbreak (or a continuance of the initial outbreak) or if its a preclude to my IO. I guess time will tell. Face is still oily, lips and nose are the only dry areas.

Ahh Claravis .....what goodies will you bring me this week?

Oh yes - what will we be facing this week? That is the question...

It's quite interesting how you're still oily, while I'm dry like Sahara and we're on the same number of days and dose...
O well. I guess people are different ;-) For now I would LOVE not to be flaking so much that my face comes off and it keeps bleeding :/
I hope we'll both be okay...and get that result worth fighting for in the end!

#56 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

Day # 20 - Another day, other annoying side effects. Still peeing like a mutha but i've been checking my glucose levels and they are normal so it really must be the Claravis. My facial texture is rough and grainy, especially on my nose - i guess my blackheads wanna come out and play! I am definitely noticing many under the skin bumps coming up and less tiny whitehead bumps. Kinda curious to see if this is the initial outbreak (or a continuance of the initial outbreak) or if its a preclude to my IO. I guess time will tell. Face is still oily, lips and nose are the only dry areas. Ahh Claravis .....what goodies will you bring me this week?

Oh yes - what will we be facing this week? That is the question... It's quite interesting how you're still oily, while I'm dry like Sahara and we're on the same number of days and dose... O well. I guess people are different ;-) For now I would LOVE not to be flaking so much that my face comes off and it keeps bleeding :/ I hope we'll both be okay...and get that result worth fighting for in the end!

Yes Riosha, it's amazing how different people react to similar doses. For the most part only my nose is flaking and my face overall is still oily (definitely not complaining).

Day# 21 and 22

Face is still the same - i definitely notice my under the skin bumps are coming and going quickly - very very excited about that. i am going to speak to my derm on my next visit about a shorter stay on claravis due to concerns i have about my glucose level and some symptoms i am displaying. I will also ask about topicals. I know my body and i know when it doesn't feel as strong as it could be. I have determined that claravis is not a cure all for me so hopefully topicals that did not work before, will work now.

Not much else to report

Edited by sasch12, 01 November 2011 - 07:52 PM.

#57 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Well it's been a while since i've updated. Things have been crazy these last few days and i have been going through a lot of changes. Needless to say, i have come to the decision to end my Claravis treatment. The risks associated with it is not worth my already fragile health. I am sad about it but i know that i would regret not stopping if my health deteriorates. I will do my last blood test, have my derm prescribe something and probably go to a second derm to get a second opinion. I would like to thank everyone for their continued support as i could not have done it without you. I will continue to follow up on the log of others.

Good Luck!

#58 Again!

Again!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

Oh no! I'm really am sorry if you do need to end. I know that this must be a decision you really don't want to make. No one wants to have acne, which means that your other health issues must be serious. Since you are dealing with other health issues, you must have a better reality of your acne. You know that there is worse things in life than acne, but still.......I'm really sorry. Please keep us updated. Maybe you can stay on it. Maybe a low dose?
29 Year Old Female
Started Claravis 7/14/11
6 Months @ 80mg a Day
Ended 1/13/12

A grand total of 14,400mg!
If I'm correct, at 60kg that comes to 240mg per kg.
I believe that 200mg per kg is the most you should have, but they say more depending on how severe your acne is. And considering this is my 3rd course, I'm okay with this very high dosage.

After much research in talking with my dermatologist, Beautypedia.com, makeupalley.com and non-comedogenic charts found @http://www.zerozits..../acnedetect.htm I have decided to use the following toiletries. There is many other brands I could have chosen, but I decided to stick with all natural ingredients. Make-up was a little trickier to find with all natural ingredients for what I wanted. Maybe after my marks diminish, I will be able to switch to a more natural one.

SKINCARE:
Cleanser-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Foaming Cream Cleanser-This removes make-up well
Toner-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Refreshing Mist Toner-This helps to make sure there's no residual make-up
Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Lush Facial Cream-Use at night
Retinol A-"Tretinoin" 0.05% Perscription-I will use this 1 month post accutane, mixed in my moisturizer
Eye Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica" Green Tea Eye Gel-You don't need this, but I like it
Sunblock For Face-"MyChelle" Replenishing Solar Defense-Use in Morning
Make-up:
Primer-"Giorgio Armani" Fluid Master Primer-Before Foundation
Foundation-"Giorgio Armani" Lasting Silk UV Foundation-I use with a foundation brush
Concealer-"YSL" Anti-Cernes
Loose Setting Powder-"Giorgio Armani" Micro-Fil Loose Powder
Bronzer Powder-"Smashbox" Bronze Lights
Blush-"Dior" Glowing Powder Blush

***I obviously use other make-up also, but I tried to only concentrate on what I use on my skin.

#59 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

Oh no! I'm really am sorry if you do need to end. I know that this must be a decision you really don't want to make. No one wants to have acne, which means that your other health issues must be serious. Since you are dealing with other health issues, you must have a better reality of your acne. You know that there is worse things in life than acne, but still.......I'm really sorry. Please keep us updated. Maybe you can stay on it. Maybe a low dose?

Thanks so much for the support Again!. Right now, staying on Claravis is just not an option. Back to the drawing board i guess. I am super sad about it but i go see a new derm on Friday and we'll see where i'll go from there. Having struggles with my health has definitely put my acne in perspective but i definitely don't want to have it for the rest of my life.

#60 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Well it's been a while since i've written and so much has changed......and not for the better. I gave the topical route a decent chance, at least 6-8 months and then tried the natural route for 2-3 months to no avail. I even did the holistic route for 9 months (3 different practitioners over a 3 month period each) as well as extensive diet changes and yet still, my acne is as bad as i can ever recall seeing it. It is definitely much worse than it was in October when i started my Claravis treatment. What's even worse is the bumps are mostly under the skin, red, inflamed and don't come to a head. I have had one bump on my cheek for almost 2 weeks and worse yet, they scar. After visiting 4 derms over the last year, my most recent derm took a look at me and said two things:

You're scarring really bad

You have holes in your face (not sure if she meant enlarged pores or what)

I really wanted to cry when she said that. She asked if i wanted to go on Claravis again and i broke down and said yes. So we did the pregnancy test, filled out the paperwork and i have to wait the 30 day period to get into the system and of course get my blood work done.

I am not sure if my blood work will be ok as i have been going through so many changes with these stupid supplements, diet changes, stress at work and such.

Also, a part of me really doesn't want to do this again while the other half feels as if i have reached the end of my rope. Ultimately, the blood test will decide if i continue or not. If i can't go on this drug again, i honestly don't know where else i can turn.

On another note, i went to get my annual checkup last week and hand my GP run blood tests such as A1C, thyroid, etc so maybe those tests will reveal something that can help me along this acne journey.

If i am able to proceed with this course, i hope to be able to connect with other accutane users who are going through the same thing. I am also hoping that this will be a judgement free zone.

will keep you all posted.