3 replies to this topic

#1 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

I was at the health food store today, and one of the fish oil supps said not to take if sensitive to iodine. Do they all have iodine? I don't want iodine-it causes acne.
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#2 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:29 PM

Well i typed Iodine and acne in Pubmed and found only 23 articles. Unfortunately most of them do not have abstracts, yet were usually taking about topical iodine (cleansers) or excess iodine exposure (from iodine therapy or workplace exposure). I did a search once and found that it takes A LOT of iodine to aggrevate the skin enought to cause rashes or acne. Usualy the amount you get from food or supplements would not be a problem, but of course some of us may live in areas where there is naturally more iodine.

The funny thing to me is that a dermatologist and others will talk about iodine being a cause for acne, with so few research behind it, yet refuse to believe that other nutrients in foods can cause acne (with more indepth physiological evidence behind it). The funny thing is that I just got through reading a website by a derm that explained how having too much iodine causes it to be excreted into the pores where it causes irritation. This is a theory I don't often talk about, but since increased levels of p. acnes (and demodex mites) has been associated with causing inflammation acne, why don't they believe that excess sugar and fats get excreted through the pores where bacteria are free to feed and grow?

Iodine is a mineral that has been clinically proven to aggravate acne. Here's what's really ridiculous. Dermatologists will tell you that diet doesn't affect acne, but iodine has been scientifically proven to worsen acne and it's found in a number of foods. The biggest source of iodine is iodized table salt. Avoid that salt. Other food sources of iodine include oysters, lobster, spinach, shrimp, milk, and bread. Even Prevention Magazine ran an article warning people with acne that the iodine in milk and bread may be making it worse. Try to limit bread and milk. That leads to the dairy foods. Dairy foods are bad because they are made from milk so they have iodine. They also are bad for acne because they tend to have high fat contents. Milk causes many other health problems as well. It's mucous forming in the body and it contains hormones that are given to cattle. These hormones are surely not helpful to the skin. For my acne, cheese is the worst dairy product. I don't like doing it, but I have to pick most of it off pizza. That pretty much covers the foods that affect acne. But if you're suspicious about any food that might be making your acne worse, cut it out of your diet for a week or two to see if you're right. http://gmuntz.tripod.com/diet.html

So now who's promoting an eating disorder? Hmm, if it makes others feel better, then by all means, they should avoid milk, bread, and seafood and when their skin stars improving, they can credit it all on following an Anti-Iodine diet. Once again another push toward bread and another theory we can pile up against it. Not that I would want to do that to bread... poor poor (wheat) bread I would eat ya if I could =(

Seriously though, I searched pubmed and the internet and nothing comes up other than that disclaimer you mentioned. Although, I did find this:

Regarding fish oil caps.... I have read that they do not trigger allergies, since they have no protein in them.. but there are no guarantees. I am iodine allergic/cannot eat raw seafood, but I can eat cooked. Fish oil does not bother me at all.
http://brain.hastypa...ead.php?t=13091

So a comforting thought is that since fish oils are anti-inflammatory, then they may possibly counteract any possible effects from the natural amounts of iodine.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#3 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:14 AM

OK, it was Dr. Fulton, the man that discovered/invented RetinA:

Fishing for a Cause?

It may sound fishy, but if you are prone to acne, there is at least one doctor who believes that seafood and other foods containing iodine could bring on an attack.

"Iodine is a factor in some people who are prone to acne," says James E. Fulton, Jr., M.D., Ph.D. " Iodine enters the body and mixes into the bloodstream, with the excess excreted through the oil glands. As it is excreted, it irritates the pores and brings on an acne flare-up."

If you've been fishing around for a clue to the cause of your acne, here's a table of some foods and beverages and the amount, in parts per million, of iodides that they contain.

Dr. Fulton does not currently know at what level the iodides could bring on an acne attack, but he warns that "excessive long-term ingestion can induce acne attacks."

Food/Beverage      Iodides (ppm) 
Dairy Products
Cheddar cheese spread                     27
Butter                                               26
Homogenized Milk                               11
Sour cream                                        7
Cottage cheese                                   5
Yogurt                                               3

Drinking water (U.S. average)    8

Meat and Poultry
Beef liver                                         325
Turkey                                             132
Chicken                                              67
Hamburger                                         44

Miscellaneous
Tortilla chips                                       80
Wheat germ                                      46
Potato chips                                       40
Pretzels                                             15
White bread                                         8
Coca-Cola                                           3
Sugar                                                   2

Salt
Iodized                                               54
Seasoned                                           40

Seafood
Kelp                                               1,020
Squid                                                39
Crab                                                  33
Sole                                                 24
Clams                                               20
Shrimp                                             17
Lobster                                             9
Oysters                                             8

Vegetables
Asparagus                                       169
Broccoli                                             90
Onions (white)                                   82
Corn                                                 45
Brussels sprouts                                23
Potato                                                9
Green beans                                        7

Those numbers are rather odd, huh? Yet based on them, it appers that seafood isn't as big a threat as is some vegetables and other animal protein. so if people have problem with seafood, and not to liver, turkey, etc it's probably a shellfish allergy or something.
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#4 homerfan33

homerfan33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:48 PM

Yup, sushi always breaks me out. Not the fish part of sushi, but the seaweed part. I think seaweed contains a ton of iodine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users