Photo

Does Fish Oil Worsen Acne In Some People?

fish oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:34 AM

i was about to try fish oil, natures made, 1000-1200 mg 2-3 times daily, but then i read the reviews on this website, and to a lot of people, it worsened their acne?? and some reviewer claimed this is the effect on men?? i need feedback please...

#2 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

You have to trust the source of fish oil. A lot of brands could be selling you rancid oil, which will not do you any favors.

The answer is yes, some people worsen from fish oil. Here's why: many people eat a diet high in omega 6 fats. By taking fish oil, rich in omega 3, hopefully your omegas will be "balanced," which should be beneficial for the skin. However, if you have too much omega 3, this can be just as bad as having too much omega 6. It's being balanced that you need, which is best attained from changing the food you eat, and not popping a pill.

Also, some just don't benefit from increased fish oil. About 1 in 30 people won't benefit from this strategy. Those 1 in 30 should try evening primrose oil instead.

#3 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

thank you so much. so in other words, screw fish oil. i dont want worse acne.

#4 Kitten35

Kitten35

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:32 PM

I use the same supplement, that brand as well.

It works very well for me. But I do have a friend that took fish oil for cholesterol and it literally did nothing for her. So I think for some people maybe it's just ineffective. I'd give it a try if I were you for a few weeks. If it's not helpful, toss it. It does work for a lot of people. And I might venture to say (and maybe I'm wrong, I'm not sure) that it is very hard to get too many omega 3s in the SAD...but it could happen I suppose.

Edited by Kitten35, 07 October 2011 - 08:33 PM.

#5 Ramber

Ramber

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:07 AM

I was going to take fish oil for other health reasons but my bad acne of about 6 years and hormones that are wacked out like crazy + ALL the reviews out there are saying NO NO NO!!! so I will not be taking fish oil as a treatment for acne. Which may I say has not been proven to improve acne through ANY tests that I've seen. Can't take 3 ppls word as a prof if everyone else is suffering from it's effects.

#6 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

just stay away from fish oil supps. in my opinion stay away from fish in general. there have studies showing some immunosupressive properties to preformed epa and dha, it lowers natural killer cells, which is how your body eliminates cancer cells. epa and dha is another one of those carefully regulated substances in the body that non-scientist vitamin manufacturers can put in a pill because of some studies that show benefits to fish oil, well, they are not done studying the effects of fish oil yet, there are some negative sides. just get the recommened daily fat from olives and some nuts and let you body make all the epa and dha it needs. dont override your bodys own intelligent design. maybe once a week eat 3 ounces of fish. also, just about all fish are contaminated with mercury, another reason not to eat fish, some are lower and safer then others, but ALL contain mercury.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 11 February 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#7 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

For some people, myself included, fish oil causes cystic acne. It cleared all of my small acne and my face glowed but large painful cysts followed after. I'm not sure why this is and I have done lots of research and still don't have an answer. Ive never had cysts in my life except for when I tried fish oil. As soon as I stopped the fish oil the cysts went away but all of my small non inflamed acne came back.

Love and accept yourself for exactly who you are right now. 

25, female, moderate acne since age 12. 

Accutane at least 6 times.
Intolerances: corn & wheat & alcohol.

100% clear, if I follow the diet.

"the absence of flaw within beauty, is itself a flaw."

#8 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

For some people, myself included, fish oil causes cystic acne. It cleared all of my small acne and my face glowed but large painful cysts followed after. I'm not sure why this is and I have done lots of research and still don't have an answer. Ive never had cysts in my life except for when I tried fish oil. As soon as I stopped the fish oil the cysts went away but all of my small non inflamed acne came back.

ive had similar experiances, at first, it seemed to help, then three weeks later, very hard cysts that just stuck around forever, with no head at all. i havent had a cyst like that in years now. yea, skip the fish oil.
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#9 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

just because you had a liver tumor doesnt mean that everyone will. Also taking mega doses of anything is going to give you longer term bad results resulting negative views of it.

I take fish oil from swansons in replacement for the expensive NKO krill oil and have seen that it does the same thing with same results. I take for my knees as im a runner and i also am doing alot of walking in my work. It reduces that inflammation and also in my skin which is better than taking NSAID's long term. My hair, skin and nails have all benefited nicely and will continue to take. Just be cautious and dont over do it. Sure there is no longer term study for fish oil but there will be so in the mean time i think the benefits outweigh the possible/potential cons in the long run as long as you are smart about it.

and yes the brand i feel does make a difference in quality. I tried a generic fish oil from the store once and it gave me back problems. Never took it again until this winter when i started running i started with krill because of the added benefits but its too expensive. I find that swansons is really great price, and the quality is legit and besides they have a supplier <250 miles from me which is nice. No im not an advertiser, just a user.

A nurse is not what you do, its what you are..I am a nurse: its not what i do, its what i am.

#10 orange86

orange86

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:03 AM

This is a really helpful forum. I've had blackheads and the occasional pimple for ever (I'm 37) but my jawline has erupted in cyst like pimples which don't come to a definable (burstable) head over the past two months. The only change in my lifestyle was a recommended offensive on my immune system by increasing my dose of fish oils and acidophilus. After reading the posts above, I'm guessing that I may be overdoing the fish oils. Fingers crossed stopping will help. Anyone got a recommendation for alternative oil supplements? Nuts also give me pimples. Thanks all.

#11 k3tchup

k3tchup

RN

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

Using a good bha and maybe some ice can help with the cysts to go down as this is what i do. Also taking an aspirin reduces the inflammation. The next step would be to get your immune system going by taking some vitamin C and Zinc.

Fish oil can cause breakouts but this can be related to the form its in (cod liver oil) or taking too much and having adverse reaction. I just take regular epa/dha idk where it comes from but its 1gram i take once a day.

A nurse is not what you do, its what you are..I am a nurse: its not what i do, its what i am.

#12 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:21 PM

fish oil in high doses is pretty bad for you, it supresses your immune system and it will likely make your acne worse. you only need a little bit of fish oil, or dha.

just guessing here because im not aware of all the science, but taking one or two pills a week might do it, any more is probably too much.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980, 13 March 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#13 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:16 AM

Fish isn't bad. It's perhaps the best meat, nutritious and easily digestible.

FIsh Oil Supplements aren't really that good! I have to agree, it actually did nothing for my acne except making it worse. Try eating foods high in Omega 3 like Flax Seed or fish, don't trust the supplements.