Paleo Vs Plant Based Diet (Vegan)

green smoothie vegan paleo

3 replies to this topic

#1 Chachi477

Chachi477

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:keeping my skin clear, stayin healthy!

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

So obviously everybody knows about the paleo diet, and the plant based diet. Both are almost opposite of eachother besides the veggies and fruit. Both claim dramatic results in health (not just skin). I Personally have tried both, and stayed relatively clear with both diets, on separate occasions ofcourse. But which do you think is healthier? Paleo did keep my skin clear but..its sooo much meat!! And with all this stuff about meat being bad it makes you wonder. Plant based diet focuses more on rice, legumes, whole grain breads, and ofcourse fruit and veggies. Believe it or not I stayed clear off that aswell. However I made sure not to go overboard on rice and bread, and the high carb stuff, especially after just coming off the paleo diet. But I wanna know how you guys feel about all this, Im sure youve seen all the documentaries on netflix ect.

As for me Im doin a little of both I guess you could say

I still eat meat, but I dont go crazy. And I make sure to eat organic, grass fed, free range, wild caught ect..(btw i limit red meat to 1-2 a week)

Ofcourse I still eat loads of veggies, some raw some lightly cooked. I think its impossible to eat ALL raw veggies imo

I still eat breads and rice as long as its whole grain, however I limit the bread as much as I can

Still eat legumes and nuts in moderation, btw i never soak them

Cant go without fruit. However I eat it as a treat daily and dont overdo it. I mainly use them in green smoothies

As for dairy, I only eat greek yogurt, kefir occasionaly, and every once in a while reduced fat cheese

I gotta say I was pretty stressed out on both diets! Cant eat this and cant eat that! It sucks
So I incorporated both lifestyles and still have great results! Ofcourse I still get an occasional pimple. But Im past that now, Im really just focusing on the health aspect at this point. And this makes the most sense to me! I dont go without, I make the most sensible healthy choices.

I mean how can you get rid of meat cold turkey? Or how can you git rid of bread, rice, and potatoes? Its stupid, and I know some of that stuff breaks you guys out. But most of these people in the documentaries dont have acne, and there going to these extremes! I say why not eat meat, and rice, and bread..just do it in moderation. I found im more happy on that lifestyle. I also found the more happier I am, the clearer I am.

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

First, paleo doesn't necessarily mean eating 'so much meat.'

And second, there's no reason for the either/or. I pretty much eat a plant based diet that is not vegan and includes some meat and dairy and quite a lot of eggs and fish. What I do is eat primarily the most nutrient dense foods. That is what is healthiest.

What will clear your skin and improve almost anything that ails you is to real, whole nutrient dense foods, more anti-inflammatory than inflammatory, avoiding any high glycemic load meal/drink/snack and that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance to. And to limit a couple of things whether or not you have an intolerance such as dairy which impacts acne in many ways besides intolerance and wheat/gluten which isn't good for anyone. And to sleep and exercise right and manage stress.

#3 Chachi477

Chachi477

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:keeping my skin clear, stayin healthy!

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

i completely agree

#4 Kitten35

Kitten35

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

I think it is all about nutrition, not about the "diet" persay.

You can be a very healthy vegan, or a very unhealthy one (though there is the issue of low vitamin D and B12 for a lot of strict vegans who consume no animal products whatsoever....though I am not bashing. Just an observation. I did try this diet for a short time and am MUCH happier on a (limitedlacto)-ovo-diet). Ditto for Paleo people.

So, if you eat quality foods on the diet that works for you, that's good.

Edited by Kitten35, 07 October 2011 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users