Photo

Adapted Water Only Method (Dry Skin)

water only caveman simple shower dry skin method not washing makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:45 AM

Hi, although i'm new to the forum i've been following for over a year and i've finally decided to post.

My acne is mild most of the time though sometimes it can become pretty moderate for a period. I've managed to clear it before using a light cleanser and jojoba oil in the evening only but i'm always looking to simplify my regimen so i dont have to go to bed with oil all over my face and keep such a strict skincare regimen. My skin used to be really oily and i never used a moisturiser after cleansing and my face seemed to be fine and then i started using jojoba oil and my skin completely dried up and i started getting breakouts, this made me believe that our skin needs some of the oil our skin produces. Since then i've tried the natural regimens like water only and not washing but there's always been a problem eventually like dirt becoming a factor or dryness.

Anyway recently i've been trying to wash my face every 2 days in the shower and this cleared me after about a week. My skin started off feeling dry after every shower but it was never as dry as normal and then my skin seemed to adjust and it stopped feeling dry after my showers. After about 2 weeks of this regimen i was really happy with my skin, even my seb derm had started clearing up, and then after 2 days of excersise i started using a cleanser to clean the sweat off and because my room was suddenly so hot i started sleeping with a fan next to my face. After 3 days of this my skin started breaking out again, mostly on the side that was facing the fan during the night but there were some spots in other areas too. Obviously my skin had been completely dried out but instead of waiting until it settled down again and continuing the regimen i started cleansing and moisturising in a bit to clear it up. This didnt help at all and my skin's been getting worse since.

I always seem to break out on my chin first whenever i'm about to breakout at all, i've always wondered why and i had a thought after reading an article online about beards using the sebum from our skin that i thought maybe it was because the hair there is thickest and uses up the available moisture quicker than anywhere else on my face. Then i thought about all the times i'd broken out on my chin and thought about the causes like late nights, drinking too much alcohol, eating too much wheat or dairy, hormones. This made me wonder if these things could cause dry skin an that was why i was breaking out on my chin.

After a bit of experimentation I found that after having very little sleep my face was always drier than normal, and the same went for drinking alchohol and eating lots of wheat based products. I didnt understand though how the rest of my skin didnt break out eventually from the dry skin though, and then i realised perhaps the dry skin only lasted at most a couple of days which would not be enough time for my cheeks to use up all the available moisture but my chin/jaw did because the hair there is so much thicker and used the moisture up!

Obviously this could all be completely wrong but it seems to make sense to me, i know after eating lots of wheat and dairy my face itches loads which is always a sign of dryness and if your body isnt 100% then its going to struggle to function effectively so that would explain why lack of sleep and lots of alcohol would cause dryness, not sure why hormones would cause any dryness though but i haven't really looked into it that much.

Also i recently found out my sister only lets her face get a little wet in the shower and her skin's really good, especially in summer. She does use a cleansing wipe to remove her makeup though but she only wears that when she goes to school, which might be why her skin is slightly worse during the school year because of the constant cleansing every night.

So anyway my plan is to return to my most recent regimen and try to avoid anything that i believe might cause my skin to dry, so i'll be briefly washing my face in the shower every 2 days and hopefully it'll clear up again. By giving it a days break between washes i'm hoping it'll have enough time to adjust without getting too dry and once my skin retains enough moisture by itself i can start introducing those things that might cause my skin to dry without worrying about breakouts.

Edited by SaharaSkin, 06 October 2011 - 08:38 AM.

#2 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:01 AM

Day 1:

Ok so today my skin is the worst it's been in a long time, i've cleaned it for the last time this morning to remove any traces of dirt or left over moisturiser and i'm not going to moisturise it again, i fully expect my face to continue breaking out for the next day or 2 because of this but eventually my skin will settle down (hopefully).

I've got loads of red marks all over my skin and quite a few spots around my jaw/chin and my cheeks. My seb derm is also pretty bad at the moment, it's usually focused around my nose and it's very red at the moment and a little bit flakey.

Edited by SaharaSkin, 06 October 2011 - 08:44 AM.

#3 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Day 2:

No real difference from yesterday yet, i rinsed my face this morning in the shower after going for a bike ride but it doesn't feel too dry right now, hopefully it's started producing more oil because of the dryness of the last few days. Really i still expect to get a few spots because of the cleansing i gave my face yesterday and the fact i had another shower this morning but we'll see.

I also remembered i've done this before in the past without thinking about it like when i went on holidays or on camping trips and it worked those times, i dont even remember properly washing the sweat from my face, the only difference being that my skin was already producing oil at a natural rate because it was before i started using jojoba oil. No to mention that when i was a kid i never got my face wet apart from in the shower and even then only a little bit, this was up until i was about 16 and then i started washing my face more regularly which was around the time my acne started. I can never remember what came first, the spots or the face wash, either way i'm sure it just became a vicious circle.

#4 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

Days 3,4 and 5:

So on the 3rd day i didnt wash my face and my skin was a little itchy all day tbh, i only got one spot on my jaw which suprised me a bit, seen as i expected to get loads after the amount of cleansing i'd done just before starting this regimen, still i'm not complaining! The redness in my nose had gone down a bit too along with my face beginning to get a more even tone which helps my make my red marks less noticable.

So i took a morning shower and rinsed my face again on the 4th day and all day i had nothing new appear although the itching was still there but it was hard to tell if it was less or the same though... didn't really look in the mirror all day so i'm not entirely sure if the redness in my face had continued to decrease, could have got much worse for all i know but i wasnt going out anywhere anyway.

Right so today i had to work, i didnt wash my face and my skin felt alright all day, bit of minor itching around my chin but no new spots seemed to come up. When i got home i ended up wiping a wet towel across my forehead just to remove any sweat after work. Just now i noticed a tiny pimple on the very top of my cheek almost at the hairline but it's so small its not a problem atm. My skin feels itchier than all day right now, my mum always used to tell me when i was a kid that that the itching meant something was healing, im going to choose to believe that :) Also my skin tone was fantastic this morning, really the best it's looked in ages and my nose looked a really good colour too, still a bit pink but beginning to match the rest of my skin. I always over analyse the colour of my nose so im sure it probably doesn't stand out as much as i think but for me to think it's looking quite good is really rare! Anyway it's really looking like this regimen might be working, i'm really suprised its acting so fast given the severity of my last breakout, i really thought i'd be still getting a couple a day for about a week before i saw any improvement if there was going to be one at all. I'm really please with my the texture of my nose too, it's always been really dry and flakey and generally horrible to touch not to mention the redness that went with that but now it feels like normal dry skin, im hoping that will turn to normal skin if my skin adjusts to this regimen and starts retaining enough moisture on it's own.

#5 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

Day 6:

Had a shower this morning and washed my face, i also shaved in the shower, not really sure how my skin's going to react to that, maybe i should've let it adjust to the new regimen before i shaved but i really needed to. There's been nothing new today, skin's been pretty itchy since washing it. Realized i've been eating loads of foods i'm trying to avoid atm (bread, cookies, cake) not been a good few days for my diet but my face hasn't had any bad results yet, apart from the damn itching! Overall though i'm really pleased, in just under a week my skin's been transformed from having 3 or 4 new spots a day to about 1 every 2 days at most, it's more a case of trying to fade my red marks now, not really sure how to do that any quicker...

I've also really wanted to get back into exercising regularly again (i stopped because i thought it was breaking me out but perhaps that was because i was washing my face more often). I think i might start running on the days i have a shower, i've heard good things about excercise helping general skin health so maybe that'll help fade the red marks :/ If there's no reaction to running then i could possibly add some weight training on the days i'm not running, i completely stopped this because i read it could create a sudden increase in hormones and thought this was contributing to my acne, it could've been but maybe in moderation it wouldnt be so bad.

#6 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Day 7:

So nothing new today, the itching wasn't nearly as bad as yesterday. I think it's been 2 days without anything new and those before that were pretty small so it's looking good! Had a shower again tonight after playing football just to get the sweat off so i won't wash my face tomorrow seen as it's been 2 days in a row. After my shower i dried my face by gently wiping a clean towel over my face just to remove any extra dead skin seen as i'm not touching my face in the shower.

#7 Dommin

Dommin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

I'm also doing the water only method right now! I was successful with it before, yet somehow I was convinced to use products again. Already one day with using only water and my skin looks better.
Will the towel irritate your face?

#8 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:51 AM

I'm also doing the water only method right now! I was successful with it before, yet somehow I was convinced to use products again. Already one day with using only water and my skin looks better.
Will the towel irritate your face?

Yeah i know what you mean about being tempted back into using products, everyones always saying you need a cleanser but then you end up needing a moisturiser to stop your skin being dry and then it's back to the cycle of products which don't help! I'm glad your skin's already looking better, i've found it seems to work really quickly! Are you washing your face every day or every other? Err not sure... i don't think it will, i used the softest towel i've got and when i say wipe it was the lightest brush against my skin i could manage so it should be alright, it's only once a week at most i'm gonna do that and that's if i need to. Anyway good luck, if it worked for you before i can't see why it wouldn't again!

Edited by SaharaSkin, 12 October 2011 - 02:52 AM.

#9 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

Day 8:

Didn't wash today, still nothing new yet. The itching's subsided now, not much else going on, i'm going to give it a week or so just to see how it goes before i'm fully satisfied it's working. Gonna go for a run tomorrow morning and rinse my face in the shower after that. My diet's been reasonable recently but i wouldn't say great, still having quite a few wheat products but if i can eat that and still not break out then my regimen must be really helping. Might start introducing dairy slowly soon, seen as i've been avoiding that for so long.

#10 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:23 PM

Day 9:

Got a small pimple on my cheek this morning, never get them there... It popped when i accidently brushed my finger against it but it was really tiny. Went for a jog this morning and had a shower after, skin felt a bit dry until this evening, now it feels ok. Other than the pimple everything seems good.

#11 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:21 AM

Day 10:

Again nothing new today, pimple from yesterday is healing up, the seb derm on my nose is looking the best i can remember since it started. My only problem is the red marks on my cheek at the moment, they stand out a fair bit. It's been just over a week since the massive breakout that caused me to take up this regimen so i dont really expect them to have faded completely, ususally i'd put manuka honey on to help speed up the process but i'm worried it might end up drying my skin, might just put it on some areas and see how it goes...

#12 SaharaSkin

SaharaSkin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

Thought i'd give a quick update, cant remember what day it is now, stopped counting a while back... haven't had anything new for a while, had a small breakout about a week ago but only on the top right side of my face and had about 2 new pimples around my chin, i do seem to have got quite a few new pimples on my forehead over the last few days though. Right now i'm working out every other day and going for a run daily, also my diet is absolutely shot to pieces which could be why my forehead is breaking out but other than that area my face is great.