Photo

Do I Have To Give Up Wheat And Dairy?

gluten dairy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 actionwoman

actionwoman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:50 PM

I'd like to try to give up one or the other, but I'm not disciplined to give up both. Wheat/gluten would be easier for me than dairy. I haven't found any diet-related success stories in which someone cleared up w/o eliminating both wheat and dairy.

I've tried all topicals (BP, acids, peptides, Vit C, retin A - you name it), been on Accutane twice, birth control pills didn't make a difference (am now off both) so I figure I'll try to reduce my acne with some dietary changes.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Amy

#2 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

You don't have to completely eliminate dairy, sources such as kefir and yogurt are rich in probiotics. If you absolutely must keep milk make sure you only drink the hormone free/organic kind. However, there are many suitable milk alternatives. I prefer coconut milk as I have oral allergy syndrome when it comes to almonds but almond milk is another good one as well as rice and hemp milk. Usually they're cheaper too.

#3 actionwoman

actionwoman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:47 PM

I like almond milk, but it's hard to find a good substitute for my morning latte. Soy milk comes closest. Thanks for your reply.

#4 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

Opt for green tea/black tea instead?

And you'd be surprised at what unsweetened cocoa powder/cinnamon can do to a food/drink to make it sweet/desserty-tasting.

I think what separates the health & holistic approach from the other forums is not just "oh i bought this does this work for you ya me neither has anyone tried this, etc." but rather your level of commitment and how much you want to be clear. In order to do so you start paying attention to far more aspects of your body, not just the first part you see in the mirror. Changing your diet to affect your skin as a result makes you a healthier human being in which all those small processes happening inside you start working properly and flowing together. This particular community is pretty confident that diet affects acne and the more I read/make changes accordingly the more I feel differently and start noticing my face healing. If you need further inspiration check out the holistic & health gallery or read the success stories thread. If your morning latte has to stay then that's fine but it's also a matter of prioritizing what you put inside yourself/how quickly you want to see results. There are lots of articles on how milk affects acne.

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

You don't necessarily have to give up either, that's individual. But you should always limit them and you should try avoiding each for at least a month to test for intolerance. And when you avoid the wheat/gluten, to be really sure, you'd need to avoid all grains and probably legumes including products from grain fed animals and supplements that might contain/been manufactured from grains.

I tested both dairy and wheat and found no difference in my acne. What cleared me was avoiding high glycemic impacting habits. My skin cleared in a little over a month from the day I drank my last soda and began improving my diet. Which is not strict except that I never drink sugar. I eat pretty much everything. I just don't eat very much of many things and a whole lot of nutrient dense foods.

However, wheat/gluten isn't good for anyone. It's never a health food no matter how whole it is. You should always consider it amongst what junk you allow into your diet. And dairy affects acne in many ways besides intolerance and should also always be limited. Grass fed is better than not, goat is better than cow, fermented is better than not, but even organic goat cheese from grass fed goats contains involved in acne and the insulinemic amino acids which stimulates your body to produce the hormones involved in acne.

#6 OmgZep

OmgZep

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:37 PM

Give up all dairy,
You dont have to give up Wheat, but instead of getting white bread get wheat bread.

Also dont drink organic milk or yogurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its not the bacteria, or proteins, or fat in milk that causes acne.
Its the Hormones!!!!

Yogurt and cheese are essentially concentrated milk so you are getting vast more hormones than you would in regular milk.
What these hormones do is two things. They spike insulin (blood sugar) levels 3 times more than normal.
These hormones also send signals to your oil glands to produce more glands.
Also dairy products will constipate you, since you are constapted toxins build up in the body

I kid you not but i have been off of that stuff for 7 days and i have seen a 50% improvement in my acne, No new spots, just i still have some spots from previous weeks.
Also i have been using the bathroom better...... But most important of all i promise that my face is alot less oily.

If i were you i would try this for a month,
It takes 6 months for a pore to unclog naturally but you can speed it up with the help of acids.

#7 vapor1

vapor1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

Personally, dairy Fs up my skin a hell of a lot more than gluten, so I'd start with dairy. But to get fully clear, both might be necessary

#8 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:31 AM

Wheat yes, dairy NO. I go through 1kg of cheese a week and tubs of butter and sour cream, and my skin is clear as a babies, and glows like magic. I used to have such pale skin. The severe acne stage of my life had nothing to do with dairy, the only dairy I had then was milk which I avoid now. I avoid any low-fat dairy even yoghurt. Sugar, aka WHEAT and BREAD is what fucks up hormones and tears apart the gut.

Everyone's experience with dairy seems to be different (though the misinformation about high-fat is pure science), but wheat / gluten / grains undoubtedly do damage to everyone, so I suggest avoiding that if you're picking one.

Honestly, I don't buy the whole hormones thing in cheese at all. My cheese is pure shit quality from Australia, where everything is heavily regulated and all the animals are fed grains and soy and injected with all kinds of crap, but it's still really good for my skin, and I have a LOT. Maybe depending on the state of your gut, fat metabolism will be different though. Regardless, that's my two cents.

#9 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:43 AM

Wheat yes, dairy NO. I go through 1kg of cheese a week and tubs of butter and sour cream, and my skin is clear as a babies, and glows like magic. I used to have such pale skin. The severe acne stage of my life had nothing to do with dairy, the only dairy I had then was milk which I avoid now. I avoid any low-fat dairy even yoghurt. Sugar, aka WHEAT and BREAD is what fucks up hormones and tears apart the gut.

Everyone's experience with dairy seems to be different (though the misinformation about high-fat is pure science), but wheat / gluten / grains undoubtedly do damage to everyone, so I suggest avoiding that if you're picking one.

Honestly, I don't buy the whole hormones thing in cheese at all. My cheese is pure shit quality from Australia, where everything is heavily regulated and all the animals are fed grains and soy and injected with all kinds of crap, but it's still really good for my skin, and I have a LOT. Maybe depending on the state of your gut, fat metabolism will be different though. Regardless, that's my two cents.

I also don't buy the whole hormones thing, infact the estrogen is bound up in dairy products and is eliminated. Vegetable oil, grains, refined sugar, and a nutrient depleted diet do the real damage. However everything has to be taken with a grain of salt when your gut has been affected. I do however beleive a damaged digestive tract wont produce much lactase and if that's the case the bacterial balance will also be out of wack so that lactose in milk goes stright to bacteria as food, thus making lactose a problem in the broken. Same can be said for grains to a certain degree, in a healthy body they can be utilized as fuel but they need to be balanced with plenty of nutrient dense foods to compensate.

Edited by moonbase, 19 October 2011 - 12:45 AM.

#10 VanceAstro

VanceAstro

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:23 AM

"Milk and whey protein-based products contribute to elevations of postprandial insulin and basal insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) plasma levels".

Elevated serum IGF-1 is belived to be the main pathogen behind seborrhea and acne, because people who got IGF-1 deficiency ["laron syndrome" or "dwarfism"] NEVER get acne:

"IGF-1 deficiency prevents the occurrence of acne. The findings suggest that an interaction between IGF-1 and androgens is necessary for the development of acne." source

Also, it becomes clear that adult acne is not just a cosmetic problem. There is a strong link between long lasting acne, diabetes and cancer.

"The elimination of the whey protein-based insulinotropic mechanisms of milk will be the most important future challenge for nutrition research. Both, restriction of milk consumption or generation of less insulinotropic milk will have an enormous impact on the prevention of epidemic western diseases like obesity, diabetes mellitus, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases and acne".

Funnily enough, recent study showed that Isotretinoin decreases IGF-1 [high IGF-1 stimulate androgens which means more sebum production].

Some people might have naturally low IGF-1 levels and thats why they can eat whatever they want and they wont break out. People with acne have different genetic make up [IGF-1 polymorphism] and it is belived that they should avoid dairy and high glycemic foods. Another interesting thing is that some of the new acne drugs are insulin sensitizers.

So in conclusion: the most recent studies clearly show that people with acne should avoid dairy products.

Evidence for acne-promoting effects of milk : http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21335995
IGF-1 deficiency = no acne: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21699736

Edited by VanceAstro, 19 October 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#11 Pezerinno

Pezerinno

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

Does whey protein isolate cause the same issues as standard whey? I assume so being as it isn't a lactose issue but I'm struggling to get enough protein now as meat and legumes appear to cause me issues and I worry about metals in fish etc.

As for the OP best to just see what happens as everyone is slightly different. For me dairy causes me so many skin problems where as wheat & gluten not so much (still wouldn't recommend for optimal health though).

#12 electthedead01

electthedead01

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

I agree with most people here, gluten and dairy don't necessarily break me out, however I limit then and don't eat them very often. And when I do eat them, I don't really see a huge difference in my acne.

I use brown rice to get my carbs, they are great tasting and are gluten free!

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

"Milk and whey protein-based products contribute to elevations of postprandial insulin and basal insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) plasma levels".

Elevated serum IGF-1 is belived to be the main pathogen behind seborrhea and acne, because people who got IGF-1 deficiency ["laron syndrome" or "dwarfism"] NEVER get acne:

"IGF-1 deficiency prevents the occurrence of acne. The findings suggest that an interaction between IGF-1 and androgens is necessary for the development of acne." source

Also, it becomes clear that adult acne is not just a cosmetic problem. There is a strong link between long lasting acne, diabetes and cancer.

"The elimination of the whey protein-based insulinotropic mechanisms of milk will be the most important future challenge for nutrition research. Both, restriction of milk consumption or generation of less insulinotropic milk will have an enormous impact on the prevention of epidemic western diseases like obesity, diabetes mellitus, cancer, neurodegenerative diseases and acne".

Funnily enough, recent study showed that Isotretinoin decreases IGF-1 [high IGF-1 stimulate androgens which means more sebum production].

Some people might have naturally low IGF-1 levels and thats why they can eat whatever they want and they wont break out. People with acne have different genetic make up [IGF-1 polymorphism] and it is belived that they should avoid dairy and high glycemic foods. Another interesting thing is that some of the new acne drugs are insulin sensitizers.

So in conclusion: the most recent studies clearly show that people with acne should avoid dairy products.

Evidence for acne-promoting effects of milk : http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21335995
IGF-1 deficiency = no acne: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21699736

Yes. That would be the hormone in dairy that affects acne and worse things. Or one of them. Dairy also contains a precursor to DHT. Dairy is also insulinemic. It's high in the amino acids that stimulate insulin directly. Plus there's the sugar that stimulates insulin.

#14 Breadisacne

Breadisacne

resident retard

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

TO THE OP!!

Yeah, you have to eliminate both of them entirely... well done analyzing this. Now comes the hard part, execution. Stop eating both of them.

Edited by Breadisacne, 20 October 2011 - 10:57 AM.

#15 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:22 AM

Well, are you looking to clear your skin or are you looking to be as healthy as you can?

If you want to clear your skin, limiting grains and dairy are both extremely important steps one can take to improve their skin. If you want to be AHAP (as healthy as possible) cut the grains out whenever possible and limit most dairy. Kefir is decent though and far superior to yogurt or milk.

#16 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

I'd like to try to give up one or the other, but I'm not disciplined to give up both.

Why set yourself up for failure like that? Discipline isnt something you are born with, it's something you choose to have.

And yes, if you want to be healthy you should give these things up.