Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Retin A 0.025% Log

148 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have been using Retin A now since 4th Sept (1 month).

I wanted to share some of my experiences and also get some feedback!

So, I didnt really notice ANY change in my skin for about 2-3 weeks... This was whilst using it once before bed. No dryness. No IB. Nothing. I thought I could see my skin brightening and some of my scars starting to fade a little, but if im honest it might have just been my imagination.

AFTER 3 weeks my skin broke out really quite badly, and was very oily. I found when I woke up my skin was literally shining away... pretty grim!

The breakouts Ive had dont really come to a head... just a big red inflammation which then start flaking. SO. Now, I appear to be flaking quite a bit more - This is actually pretty satisfying, but also embarrassing when you realise you have a big white flakey bit of skin hanging off your face!

I currently have a number of shrinking red inflammations, one in particular in the apple of my cheek (a spot that has returned MANY times) I can literally feel throbbing... LOL, so wrong. (You can see the monster on my cheek in the pictures below)

I think my skin is looking better and worse... which I know doesnt really make sense, but I guess the texture is clearly improving and is less tired looking. However I am getting more inflammations which obviously look horrible and are virtually impossible to cover with make up, and show up under lighting anyway.

post-139002-0-45994100-1317763015_thumb.

post-139002-0-00981300-1317763038_thumb.

post-139002-0-73830700-1317763057_thumb.

post-139002-0-45994100-1317763015_thumb.

post-139002-0-00981300-1317763038_thumb.

post-139002-0-73830700-1317763057_thumb.

My skin seems to be getting worse still... I am getting new inflammations which seem to come up dry out and flake off.

Im sure some of my red marks and scars are looking better. But my face looks in quite a mess as the new stuff is very red, swollen and dry which is near impossible to cover up with makeup.... Infact I think in some ways it looks worse.

Just really hoping at this stage that ppl are right and that after the IB clears it looks amazing... fingers crossed.

Ive added some more pictures but I think it just looks worse

post-139002-0-84638200-1318072082_thumb.

post-139002-0-31770100-1318072100_thumb.

post-139002-0-17797700-1318072114_thumb.

post-139002-0-84638200-1318072082_thumb.

post-139002-0-31770100-1318072100_thumb.

post-139002-0-17797700-1318072114_thumb.

I encourage you to stay the retinoid course! You're beautiful - and if you stay committed to your regime - you will see results. I'm on Differin which made my skin dry (I had that same feeling of satisfaction!) - then super oily - and now I've adjusted. I still get dry patches and sometimes wake up with oil patches - but retinoids are a marathon not a sprint. I recommend getting a humidifier to help moisturize overnight without having to use a moisturizer. Also - maybe you could talk to your doctor about using Aczone. It's an anti-bacterial/anti-inflammatory. Might help calm down the irritation of the Retin-A. Well wishes to your on your journey to be clear!

1 person likes this

I Feel your pain my face is a hot mess as well 3 week on ram n still breaking out. we r here to cheer u on hugs.....

1 person likes this

Thank you both for your comments! Really helps hearing about others going through the same thing! :)

MayTheRoadBeShort thanks for the humidifier tip, Ill look into that - could certainly be helpful now winters coming and the heating will be on a lot.

your welcomes by the way are u using retina A or retina a micro?

you're really cute.

i was on tretinoin a while back and it cleared my up after 5 months and i had persistant hormonal teen acne i'm going back on it but i'm using micro instead of the cream

I'm using just retin a. What is the difference?

It was looking horrifying today... Breakouts everywhere. But worst is the dry skin! I have been at uni all today and when I went to the ladies I checked in the mirror and I had soooo many flakes coming loose... Kinda didn't even look like acne anymore! Got home and gently brushed it off with a towel. I'm hoping this is the worst of it!

I think some of my shallow scarring has improved though, and my face has a more golden complexion (rather than the pinky colour it has been!)

I'm using Retin A too with Clindamycin, it's my 15th day today, so you're ahead of me. I really think retin a is a good product

that'll work, just have to give it time, and patience is key :)

Bleuuugghhh.... looking horrid again today! This is boring, I was really hoping itd be clearing up by now.... Its been 5.5 weeks and im still getting new breakouts, some of the ones that had come up before are taking a long time to heal as well (some are clearing quickly).

Skin is still dry, lots of flaking... mostly just on the breakouts, some of them have been there so long flaking away im surprised theres any skin left!

post-139002-0-65761000-1318542915_thumb.

post-139002-0-65972300-1318542931_thumb.

post-139002-0-17122100-1318542957_thumb.

post-139002-0-65761000-1318542915_thumb.

post-139002-0-65972300-1318542931_thumb.

post-139002-0-17122100-1318542957_thumb.

I feel your pain. I have what's going on on your cheeks on my forehead and on the sides of my face, I just keep hoping it will get better, because I'm told that it will. So hang in there, and I hope everything gets better!

Was out drinking last night... very hungover today. Why is it I seem to age 40 years? And my skin seems totally unable to take makeup... literally like smearing it over the place and looks dreadful!Lol... Anyway its been 6 weeks now, still looking baaaad....

Hey I forgot to answer Ur question from what I know retina a micro is the gel form of retina a RAM is meant for people with acne prone skin. It is also gentler bc its release little by little not all at once. They have 2 strengths 0.04 n 0.1 I have used both but the lowest dosage was to low for me i have been using the highest like before and I have notice the difference. I am already peeling and some pimples are drying up I still look a wreck but I see this way are skin will look fabulous by next yr lol. By the way r u using powder or liquid foundation ? Liquid foundation makes my skin look horrible. Powder looks better but it doesn't last long I have been using bare minerals n ok so far. But u still see the bumps. Good luck n I hops u feel better :)

(44 days / 6.5 weeks)

Mine is a gel too... but it doesnt say micro on it.? Not sure what that means lol.

Skin looks more or less the same... Im breaking out in new places, just got 3 on my upper lip (which is pretty painful!). My mum said today that she didnt think my initial breakouts have been as bad as I'd made out they were going to be... which I was quite surprised to hear cos I thought it looked dreadful! But then again im certainly not out of the woods yet!

I also have been breaking out on my upper lip I hate it. u have been on ram for 6 weeks?

Can't be too far away from improvement now. I'm about 6 weeks into using .0.05% Retin-A nd I'm just strting to see some positive signs. What other products do you use?

Yeah about 6.5 weeks. I use a Simple cleanser ( I think this might be a UK brand) Kimberley sayer moisturiser with zinc oxide SPF 25, I sometimes mix a couple of drops of argan oil into this as well. That's all I use. I guess I'm using 0.025% so maybe it'll happen a little slower than those on higher percentages?

I am seeing improvements to my skin where I haven't broken out... It looks brighter, more even. Hopefully in a few weeks!

Yeah possibly, I've also used Retin-A in the past so maybe less of an adjustment period for my skin. I'm using glycolic acid during the day so maybe thats helping as well. Any reason for you not taking an antibiotic as well?

I dont want to take antibiotics, Ive spent large amounts of time taking them in the past which I believe resulted in damaging my digestion. I appreciate that antibiotics help though, theyre just not for me :)

Yeah thats fair enough, I've probably spent good 2-3 years on them as well. They worked quite well for me but yeah trying to find something else as staying on antibiotics for another few years isn't really realistic I don't think. If your skin isn't too dry and senstive then maybe next time you see your derm/doctor you could step up the strength of your Retin-A!

Anyway I should probably stop hijacking your log and start my own huh! haha

1 person likes this

Its been just over a week and a half since my last pictures... Gotta say it doesnt look hugely different. Scars are improving but very very slowly, Im still getting breakouts - inflamed ones, they come up swollen and usually quite painful and then they just die and the skin dries out or if I pick at them (I know I shouldnt but with the temptation I dont even realise im doing it!) they sort of go scabby and flakey.

New spots dont leave such bad marks as they used to, or at least most of them dont.

post-139002-0-00444000-1319453659_thumb.

post-139002-0-49288900-1319453677_thumb.

post-139002-0-00444000-1319453659_thumb.

post-139002-0-49288900-1319453677_thumb.

Looking at the photos before these ones I reckon there is a little bit of improvement! I really do think that by the month mark your skin will be looking pretty good.

Having a very bad skin day! There seems to be loads of recurring spots... theyre horrid and dry... literally cant stop picking at them which obviously isnt helping but I dont want to walk around with dry skin all over my face and/or spots with heads - just gross.

I just want to start seeing some real improvement, this is a very hard regime to stick with!

8 weeks... I think about 56 days.

So my red marks are getting lighter - more pink rather than red and sore looking (however there is more of them though now as I have been having so many more breakouts.)

Some of the break outs are taking a century to heal - they are dry, not inflamed but are raised and pink.

Im not really sure whats happening, sometimes I dont actually think anything is! I feel like changes really should be happening now (by Friday I would have been using retin a for 2 months.).

The start of my serious IB was probably at about week 4 and has been consistent the last 4 weeks, Im still getting some random spots but I guess they are less frequent and smaller than at weeks 4-7.

Last week I did an at home Glycolic acid (30%) treatment, just for 2 minutes as my skins thinner on the retin a, and I will probably do another tomoro. Im hoping this will help with the skin shedding as I dont use an exfoliating wash (I do sometimes just with a flannel) but exfoliating washes can be too abrasive and my face feels tight.

1st of all: STOP PICKING. I know it's hard... I stopped coming on here since A) i have been less and less obsessed with my skin as it gets better and B) because the format change in the site pissed me off... i keep trying to view my album and can't view my own pictures. I also stopped posting pictures of my progress as a result. It seems to only be my own I have trouble with. But, I still come to check the message boards, and I believe you commented on one of the last progress pictures I posted.

Let me tell you, today marks 4 months on Atralin 0.05% (gel based tretinoin) and Aczone (dapsone), which was my regimen recommended by my derm. My face is 500% better. If you can still view my pictures without a problem, you can see how badly broken out I got in the first few weeks on this regimen. It hurt, itched, and looked grotesque. But it gets exponentially better with time as long as A) you stick to it B) use it correctly (don't exceed recommended amount or you'll burn yourself) and C) don't use any Salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide at all (this will increase the flaking and burning too) and just do exactly as the doctor told you. Don't exfoliate! The retin-A is doing that for you! Don't use the glycolic peels! Don't do multiple experiments at the same time, it will be impossible for you to tell what is causing what. Just give it a chance. I remember how pathetic and desperate I was feeling. Here is a pic of my skin today (after 4 months). (Left vs. Right might appear opposite due to the webcam) The scars on my left cheek (where I broke out and picked worst of all) get lighter every morning. The circular mark on my right cheek was my most recent problem area, a cyst or nodular infection spanning several pores. It got huge and pink and painful to the touch, with no head. But I managed not to pick and it flattened out and doesn't hurt anymore. I think that area of pores is still clogged but the Atralin is exfoliating it away and every few nights I put a bandaid with Neosporin on it and it lightens the mark. I know the neosporin is doing something too because it itches a little occasionally, probably killing the deep infection. I would recommend this if you have any cysts/nodules, the kind that stick around and leave marks no matter what, because it lessens the trauma to the skin. It also helps lighten old hyperpigmentation marks (Idk about deep scars I don't really have any.) Keep your spirits and your chin up. Avoid mirrors and when you do use the bathroom or whatever keep a distance from the mirror. There's no need to see yourself close-up while your skin is looking it's worst during treatment.

post-155454-0-46534800-1320080034_thumb.

post-155454-0-67444900-1320080049_thumb.

post-155454-0-46534800-1320080034_thumb.

post-155454-0-67444900-1320080049_thumb.