#1 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 27
About Me

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

Hi there,

I have been using Retin A now since 4th Sept (1 month).
I wanted to share some of my experiences and also get some feedback!

So, I didnt really notice ANY change in my skin for about 2-3 weeks... This was whilst using it once before bed. No dryness. No IB. Nothing. I thought I could see my skin brightening and some of my scars starting to fade a little, but if im honest it might have just been my imagination.
AFTER 3 weeks my skin broke out really quite badly, and was very oily. I found when I woke up my skin was literally shining away... pretty grim!
The breakouts Ive had dont really come to a head... just a big red inflammation which then start flaking. SO. Now, I appear to be flaking quite a bit more - This is actually pretty satisfying, but also embarrassing when you realise you have a big white flakey bit of skin hanging off your face!
I currently have a number of shrinking red inflammations, one in particular in the apple of my cheek (a spot that has returned MANY times) I can literally feel throbbing... LOL, so wrong. (You can see the monster on my cheek in the pictures below)

I think my skin is looking better and worse... which I know doesnt really make sense, but I guess the texture is clearly improving and is less tired looking. However I am getting more inflammations which obviously look horrible and are virtually impossible to cover with make up, and show up under lighting anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 27.jpg
  • Photo 28.jpg
  • Photo 30.jpg

#2 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:08 AM

My skin seems to be getting worse still... I am getting new inflammations which seem to come up dry out and flake off.
Im sure some of my red marks and scars are looking better. But my face looks in quite a mess as the new stuff is very red, swollen and dry which is near impossible to cover up with makeup.... Infact I think in some ways it looks worse.

Just really hoping at this stage that ppl are right and that after the IB clears it looks amazing... fingers crossed.

Ive added some more pictures but I think it just looks worse

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 27.jpg
  • Photo 28.jpg
  • Photo 30.jpg

#3 MayTheRoadBeShort

MayTheRoadBeShort

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:33 PM

I encourage you to stay the retinoid course! You're beautiful - and if you stay committed to your regime - you will see results. I'm on Differin which made my skin dry (I had that same feeling of satisfaction!) - then super oily - and now I've adjusted. I still get dry patches and sometimes wake up with oil patches - but retinoids are a marathon not a sprint. I recommend getting a humidifier to help moisturize overnight without having to use a moisturizer. Also - maybe you could talk to your doctor about using Aczone. It's an anti-bacterial/anti-inflammatory. Might help calm down the irritation of the Retin-A. Well wishes to your on your journey to be clear!

#4 gems2889

gems2889

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I love food, house music, dancing, reading, sleeping, and been with my family :)

Achievements

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:30 PM

I Feel your pain my face is a hot mess as well 3 week on ram n still breaking out. we r here to cheer u on hugs.....

#5 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:06 AM

Thank you both for your comments! Really helps hearing about others going through the same thing! :)

MayTheRoadBeShort thanks for the humidifier tip, Ill look into that - could certainly be helpful now winters coming and the heating will be on a lot.

#6 gems2889

gems2889

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I love food, house music, dancing, reading, sleeping, and been with my family :)

Achievements

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

your welcomes by the way are u using retina A or retina a micro?

#7 jjballer22

jjballer22

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

you're really cute.

i was on tretinoin a while back and it cleared my up after 5 months and i had persistant hormonal teen acne i'm going back on it but i'm using micro instead of the cream

#8 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:13 PM

I'm using just retin a. What is the difference?

It was looking horrifying today... Breakouts everywhere. But worst is the dry skin! I have been at uni all today and when I went to the ladies I checked in the mirror and I had soooo many flakes coming loose... Kinda didn't even look like acne anymore! Got home and gently brushed it off with a towel. I'm hoping this is the worst of it!

I think some of my shallow scarring has improved though, and my face has a more golden complexion (rather than the pinky colour it has been!)

#9 sickofacne1000

sickofacne1000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'm using Retin A too with Clindamycin, it's my 15th day today, so you're ahead of me. I really think retin a is a good product
that'll work, just have to give it time, and patience is key :)

#10 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Bleuuugghhh.... looking horrid again today! This is boring, I was really hoping itd be clearing up by now.... Its been 5.5 weeks and im still getting new breakouts, some of the ones that had come up before are taking a long time to heal as well (some are clearing quickly).
Skin is still dry, lots of flaking... mostly just on the breakouts, some of them have been there so long flaking away im surprised theres any skin left!

Attached Thumbnails

• Photo 31.jpg
  • Photo 34.jpg
  • Photo 36.jpg

#11 meowletsgoshop

meowletsgoshop

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

I feel your pain. I have what's going on on your cheeks on my forehead and on the sides of my face, I just keep hoping it will get better, because I'm told that it will. So hang in there, and I hope everything gets better!

#12 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

Was out drinking last night... very hungover today. Why is it I seem to age 40 years? And my skin seems totally unable to take makeup... literally like smearing it over the place and looks dreadful!Lol... Anyway its been 6 weeks now, still looking baaaad....

#13 gems2889

gems2889

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Hey I forgot to answer Ur question from what I know retina a micro is the gel form of retina a RAM is meant for people with acne prone skin. It is also gentler bc its release little by little not all at once. They have 2 strengths 0.04 n 0.1 I have used both but the lowest dosage was to low for me i have been using the highest like before and I have notice the difference. I am already peeling and some pimples are drying up I still look a wreck but I see this way are skin will look fabulous by next yr lol. By the way r u using powder or liquid foundation ? Liquid foundation makes my skin look horrible. Powder looks better but it doesn't last long I have been using bare minerals n ok so far. But u still see the bumps. Good luck n I hops u feel better :)

Edited by gems2889, 16 October 2011 - 06:41 PM.

#14 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:34 PM

(44 days / 6.5 weeks)

Mine is a gel too... but it doesnt say micro on it.? Not sure what that means lol.
Skin looks more or less the same... Im breaking out in new places, just got 3 on my upper lip (which is pretty painful!). My mum said today that she didnt think my initial breakouts have been as bad as I'd made out they were going to be... which I was quite surprised to hear cos I thought it looked dreadful! But then again im certainly not out of the woods yet!

#15 gems2889

gems2889

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:44 PM

I also have been breaking out on my upper lip I hate it. u have been on ram for 6 weeks?

#16 Paperboy Bike

Paperboy Bike

Just-B

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Acne? Well nah not really.

Posted 19 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

Can't be too far away from improvement now. I'm about 6 weeks into using .0.05% Retin-A nd I'm just strting to see some positive signs. What other products do you use?

#17 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:30 AM

Yeah about 6.5 weeks. I use a Simple cleanser ( I think this might be a UK brand) Kimberley sayer moisturiser with zinc oxide SPF 25, I sometimes mix a couple of drops of argan oil into this as well. That's all I use. I guess I'm using 0.025% so maybe it'll happen a little slower than those on higher percentages?
I am seeing improvements to my skin where I haven't broken out... It looks brighter, more even. Hopefully in a few weeks!

#18 Paperboy Bike

Paperboy Bike

Just-B

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:22 AM

Yeah possibly, I've also used Retin-A in the past so maybe less of an adjustment period for my skin. I'm using glycolic acid during the day so maybe thats helping as well. Any reason for you not taking an antibiotic as well?

#19 N.clare

N.clare

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:47 AM

I dont want to take antibiotics, Ive spent large amounts of time taking them in the past which I believe resulted in damaging my digestion. I appreciate that antibiotics help though, theyre just not for me :)

#20 Paperboy Bike

Paperboy Bike

Just-B

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:02 PM

Yeah thats fair enough, I've probably spent good 2-3 years on them as well. They worked quite well for me but yeah trying to find something else as staying on antibiotics for another few years isn't really realistic I don't think. If your skin isn't too dry and senstive then maybe next time you see your derm/doctor you could step up the strength of your Retin-A!

Anyway I should probably stop hijacking your log and start my own huh! haha

Edited by Paperboy Bike, 20 October 2011 - 07:33 PM.