adult acne hormones depression

1 reply to this topic

#1 tooblootobetroo

tooblootobetroo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:01 AM

I have been an acne sufferer since puberty. It got even worse when I started college, and my acne became moderately severe. I have tried lots of things with little success. I discovered The Regimen a few years back and follow it religiously, and it has helped. It became light to moderate acne, depending on the time of the month (I especially got flareups around my period and two weeks later during ovulation).

Then I got pregnant and my skin looked amazing! My skin has NEVER been that soft and smooth! I still followed The Regimen while pregnant because I didn't want to take any chances. After baby was born I started getting a zit now and then but nowhere near what it was before. I'm pretty sure it's because of the hormones released while breastfeeding.

Then this month (8 months later) I got my first period since I got pregnant and my skin is back to its "normal" self. :-( That pretty much confirmed what I always suspected: My acne is a hormone issue.

I have very few options available to me. I can't afford a dermatologist at the moment. I can't take birth control because I'm still breastfeeding and it would decrease my milk supply. (Plus, I have tried many brands of the pill and it always wreaks havoc on my body and usually causes depression). I can't use most acne prescription medications because I'm still breastfeeding. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help my acne flareups? I feel pretty hopeless because I feel like anything I do topically won't make a real difference. Still, I'll keep religiously following The Regimen and hoping for a miracle.

HELP!

#2 mummyof3

mummyof3

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hello,

I can SO relate to your story!!! I have always had "tempermental" skin... but it truely went crazy when my son was about 9 months old (he's 15 months now). I weaned him at this time and subsequently got my first period since getting pregnant. Like you, when I was pregnant with him I had beautiful skin. It has been a complete nightmare for me. This never happened with my first two children. I have tried a number of things but unfortunately I havn't found my answer yet. I have been on antibiotics for a few months now, but I havn't found they have helped much. I'm not nursing anymore, but I know when I was in the process of weaning and my skin was awful I was told by my Doctor that I could use Differin. It didn't work for me, but others have really liked it. It might be worth you lookiing into. I wish you all the luck. Hugs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users