Photo

Eating too many crisp..cause acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#21 ~TEPL0~

~TEPL0~

back from the dead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:00 AM

Ryan:

First of all, the crisps (I'm assuming that's "chips" in American) contain a lot of artificial crap you don't need to put into your body. But that's not the main reason you don't need to eat them.

Here is the main reason: you are filling up your body with the crisps, and you're not allowing enough room for fresh fruit and vegetables. You are not getting enough vitamins from healthy foods, because every time you're hungry, you just fill yourself up with junk, instead of eating things like avocado, grapes, apples, watermelon, nuts.

I am the living proof that a healthy diet and exercise DO significantly reduce acne.

Please read this: http://www.acne.org/...showtopic=30443 - it's an explanation with photos.

#22 Ally

Ally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:06 AM

Ryan was the one saying how we should cut out sweets and sugary drinks from our diet. laugh.gif

#23 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (bountyhunter @ Sep 11 2004, 09:53 AM)
Ryan was the one saying how we should cut out sweets and sugary drinks from our diet. laugh.gif

TRUE,but untill now i've only just thought about crisps needing to be cut out aswell.It's just everyone tell's me "nah crisps won't effect your skin"

Also yeah,i have aroun 8-10 bags of crisp a day for like 12 years now....i'm addicted to them.

but i think i'll stop eating soo many now,i've also started to eat better food aswell .... i've asked for my mum to give me tomatoes and eggs in the future..plus i'll try and eat more fruit and veg.

#24 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 12:48 PM

Cut it down to 1 bag a day and take a serving of fruit a day. There is no reason to become obsessed with being healthy.

#25 blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:50 PM

Holy crap! I thought you meant 8-12 chips a day. That many bags is an insane amount. NOw I like to eat sweets every day but 10 bags of chips is excessive, even for a junk food lover. Can't you just feel your arteries clogging?

#26 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:06 PM

WOW, OK, the salt is good, but it ain't that good! If you are going to eat crisps/chips make sure that they don't contain the bad ingredients that you may be avoiding:

Hydrogenated Oils
Partially Hydrogenated Oils
Cottonseed Oil
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Milk Powder, Solids
Whey
Gluten
Wheat

If you personally are against any of those, then pick another brand of crisps that don't contain them. Over here I've got several options and as such, I still eat chips and/or popcorn (homemade) several times a week (if in the house, which they usually are).

Henrys
Kettle Chips
Boulder
Frito Lays Natural Line

Say, was this your review Walker's Crisp Review? http://www.dooyoo.co..._review/441156/ Nah, J/K

Oh, but I found the ingredients:

"Ingredients: potato granules, vegetable oil, salt, maltodextrin." ... "33% less fat" ... "The world has turned ... Ayers Rock!"

So the question is, what kind of vegetabal oil and is it a trans fat (usually they say so) Here's what the website shows: http://walkers.corpe...=37&flavourid=1 Further browsing gives reveals that they use Refined Palm Vegetable Oil. So it's safe enough to eat, but not for any nutrient content, and NOT at 10 or more -- 25g bags a day. ;-)

#27 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:54 AM

QUOTE (SweetJade1980 @ Sep 11 2004, 09:53 PM)
WOW, OK, the salt is good, but it ain't that good! If you are going to eat crisps/chips make sure that they don't contain the bad ingredients that you may be avoiding:

Hydrogenated Oils
Partially Hydrogenated Oils
Cottonseed Oil
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Milk Powder, Solids
Whey
Gluten
Wheat

If you personally are against any of those, then pick another brand of crisps that don't contain them. Over here I've got several options and as such, I still eat chips and/or popcorn (homemade) several times a week (if in the house, which they usually are).

Henrys
Kettle Chips
Boulder
Frito Lays Natural Line

Say, was this your review Walker's Crisp Review? http://www.dooyoo.co..._review/441156/ Nah, J/K

Oh, but I found the ingredients:

"Ingredients: potato granules, vegetable oil, salt, maltodextrin." ... "33% less fat" ... "The world has turned ... Ayers Rock!"

So the question is, what kind of vegetabal oil and is it a trans fat (usually they say so) Here's what the website shows: http://walkers.corpe...=37&flavourid=1 Further browsing gives reveals that they use Refined Palm Vegetable Oil. So it's safe enough to eat, but not for any nutrient content, and NOT at 10 or more -- 25g bags a day. ;-)

well i'll cut them down to like 1-2 bags a day i guess from now on.

#28 BomberMan

BomberMan

He might get the ace or the top one,So organise your two's a

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (BenKweller @ Sep 11 2004, 11:35 AM)
There is no reason to become obsessed with being healthy.

true.....
unless you count: Living longer, Having less acne, Having a stronger imune system,
Having a buff body and being fitter in general as reasons ofcourse....

#29 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 05:52 PM

... and becoming so stressed with being healthy that your life dies.

PS: A study in the UK found that people who watch their diet amazingly and those who are of normal weight and eat whatever they want have around the same life span, possibility of illness, etc...

#30 BomberMan

BomberMan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:58 PM

How the hell can opting for a healthy lifestyle (i,e healthy eating, regular excercise) cause stress or cause your life to "die"? please elaborate.
I actually find that i'm less stressed these days and as for as killing my life it has actually improved it Imensly, i'm meeting loads of friends through sport or down the gym and i'm more confident with women too, its amazing what a six pack and half deicent biceps can do for your sex apeal which is just aswell cos i'm an ugly git.
working out gives you goals and ambitions too- i'm always trying to beat my last time, swim an extra legnth or shift that extra Kilogram off the bench and this is something that gives me motivation to eat sensibly, not to mention huge satisfaction when i suceed at something.
Admitedly, i am becoming quite obsesed its kinda like a hobby, and I love it!
oronicly it was acne that caused me to think about lifestyle changes in the first place, every cloud has a silver lining ay?
No, healthy living is not what kills your life, veging infront of the telly and going numb is what kills lives.
as for this "study" you talk about, who the feck carried it out?!
its a fact that cholestrol is no respector of weight....
its well documented that a reasonably thin person could actually have a very high level of cholestrol also the vitamins minerals and anti-oxidants (sp?) found in fruit, milk, eggs etc are vital for a healthy imune system (ask your doctor).
Next you'l be telling me that theres a study that proves that smokers live just as long as none smokers.

#31 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:53 PM

im interested bomberr amn as i am about to start really getting into excercise nad eating well describe a typical day for you and what dont you eat?xxx

#32 BomberMan

BomberMan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:52 PM

Hi Kel,
I'm no pro I have loads to learn and a long way to go before i'm "super fit", i'v only been training for a few months but i'm hooked already!
I typically excercise 4-5 times a week and I try to work out different parts of my body on different days but I started off training just once a week.
I start work at 8:30am and finish at 5pm so I have to train quite late this means I sometimes find it difficult to sleep if i'm still reved up, i'd much rather train in the morning if I had a choice.
I don't really have a fixed training scedule but it goes something like this:

Monday-
Down the gym:
6 miles on the treadmil in the fastest time possible or a game of squash.
as many sit-ups as i can do x 3 (5 mins recovery time between)
dumbell curls 12 reps with highest weight possible x3 (5 min recovery time btween)
Benchpress with a comfortable weight (as many reps as possible) once
Benchpress with largest weight possible (only 80-90KG at the moment bb_sad.gif ) 8 reps x 3 ("bench out" on last set of reps)
15 mins on punchbag or pull-ups.

Tuesday-
rest

Wednesday-
Football training
Then when I get home:
as many sit-ups as possible x3
as many press-ups as possible x 3
as many pull-ups as possible x 3
rowing machine on medium setting until I can't row anymore.

Thursday-
Swimming
(as many lengths of the pool as possible)
followed by a sauna (both of these are really good for acne!!!)
or in the summer when the weather is good I go mountain biking with my bro.

Friday-
rest

saturday
rest

Sunday-
Usually I have a football match, if not I'll go for a run/ go down the gym for a game of squash or have a day off depending on how i'm feeling.

its nothing spectacular
Simple yet effective!
I believe its not the amount of time you spend training but how much effort you put in when you are training.

As for my diet, i stay away from anything fried and "junk" food and ready meals fizzy pop etc.
Sometimes I give in to the craving for a chocolate bar or a can of coke usually once or twice per week.
I generally try to stick to "natural" foods

for breakfast I eat 3-4 eggs (good for protein)

for lunch/tea I usually have a nice big tuna salad, pasta, fresh fish, steak or a portion of chicken with fruit juice or a pint of semi skimmed milk.

and I snack on fruit and nuts all day, I try to eat 5-6 portions of fruit daily.
Fruit is especially good before/after a work out and so is LOADS of pasta.

I drink 2-3 litres of water per day.

Like I said, i'm no expert but this has to be good for my body!

i'm not sure how good the diet is for combating acne but it seems to do the trick for me, my acne is now so mild compared to what it used to be.

Obviously my training/diet plan would not suit your requirements, i think the best thing to do is think about how you would like to improve your fitness levels etc and go from there but always PUSH yourself really hard, No pain no gain!

do you excercise kel?
What sort of training do you do?
What sort of fitness level is your ideal goal?
one day i'd love to be fit enough run a marathon just to prove a point to certain people who thaught I would quit after the first work-out, maybe i'll do it next year....

#33 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:32 PM

I find it extremely frustrating when I see blanket statements saying that diet has no effect on acne. I believed that for the first ten years that I had acne, and was fairly dogmatic about it -- I could have given up antibiotics ten years earlier if only I'd known the truth.

This universal "truth" appears to be based on a few dubious studies backed by aggressive word of mouth. Diet is notoriously difficult to control, and yet a clinician feeds subjects two diffierent types of chocolate bars and concludes on that basis that there is no link between diet and acne?

I can believe that for some people diet may have little effect. But to say that it has no effect unless you have an allergy assumes far too much.

Personally, I believed that there was no link between diet and acne for the first ten years I was treated for acne. I trusted my dermatologist to know more about this than lay people, and when people would advsie me not to tuck into french fries, I would say, "I think my dermatologist knows more about this than you do". Then one day I discovered this book, "Acne Can be Cured" (I'm not trying to sell a particular book -- this just happened to be the one that I found that helped me). I was testing a break from antibiotics at the time and was staying with my boyfriend's parents (I was 23). I was vegetarian then, and they didn't know what to feed me, so they gave me cheese and butter everything. I soon found myself in the midst of the worst breakout I had ever experienced. I had great purple cysts all over on my face and it was painful even to speak. Every single pore seemed to be infected to a greater or lesser extent, and one cyst even exploded spontaneously, the pressure was that great (my did I feel attractive at that point). Anyway, I still didn't make the connection between the diet change and the acne worsening -- I thought it was just an unlucky and particularly ferocious attack following my recent cessation of antiobiotics. We took a trip to the library and by chance I found the book. It was written by a clinician who had made the link between diet and acne in his own private practice. He recommended a diet eliminating, as far as possible, all sources of saturated fats. His own observations were that this helped the majority of his patients. It had a miraculous effect on me -- within a few days of adopting the diet, my skin was noticeably improved. Within three weeks, it was pretty much completely clear.

The problem is that it's very difficult to control diet. Someone may think that they've eliminated saturated fats and not realise that crisps (potato chips) or milk or pastry or maragarine (etc etc) contain significant levels of saturated fats. Same thing for simple sugars, lots of people just don't understand what's in their food. So it's a difficult concept to test.

I can only couch for my personal experience: as far as I know, I have no allergies, but diet has an enormous effect on my acne. The doctor who wrote the book mentioned above also found that his patients responded well to a low saturated fat diet. IIRC, he also said that it's difficult to get published if you propose a link between diet and acne, because the dogma is so well established that any study that finds a significant link between the two is immediately suspect and so difficult to get through the peer review process.

#34 kel

kel

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 09:13 AM

doberwoman im with u!!!!!! when i eat crap i look crap!! my skin that is,i hsve started eating a low fat no sugar diet and already im seeing results and i have more energy sllep better and dont feel bloated!!! cheese was a killer for me i loved the stuff but it gives my spots like no ones buisness!! also sugar to makes me break out i do find it difficult as eating out is a mare!!!!! but i think i want good skin so if this is what it takes then so be it.anyway im not fat but i prob good do with losing few pounds!!!!

bomberman your routine sounds fab!!!!! not to mention tuff!!!!! but good for you it may take me a while to do as much but i will,i mean i used to run pro when i was younger i did 800 and 1500 mtrs,but since then nothing really i quit when i was 17 much to the distress of my manager,and since theni enjoy long long walks but nothing else,i have bought some dumbells to use and plan to start running again,and start of slow if i do to much ill lose interest as i will find it to hard,then build up to i hope at least running 2-5 miles most days and weights,i mainly want to tone my lower body(as most women) and burn crap off!!!!!!

my diet is ok,it was bad for a while but its great now.

#35 scarface

scarface

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (Ryan Valmont @ Sep 9 2004, 07:28 PM)
Ok i eat ALOT of "Walkers - Ready salted square crisps"...i think some of you guys from America might call them chips?.

Could this also be having an impact on my acne?.

Not sure on that,but they contain carbohydrates...and i eat like anywhere between 10-15 a day.

OMG! Listen, one bag of Walkers Crisps, typically 30g contains maybe 200 Calories.

So 10-15 bags is 2000-3000 Calories....

Now, the daily average for a man is 2500 cals....

And the amount of salt ur taking in.... blink.gif

How tall are u? How much exercise do u do? Are you overweight/obese? U gota consider these factors because if ur just average, then ur seriously overdosing on crisps!

What else do u eat?

#36 stoneman

stoneman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (Ryan Valmont @ Sep 9 2004, 11:28 AM)
Ok i eat ALOT of "Walkers - Ready salted square crisps"...i think some of you guys from America might call them chips?.

Not sure on that,but they contain carbohydrates...and i eat like anywhere between 10-15 a day.

Oh My God, 10-15 packets of crisps a day! ohmy.gif

I think it can contribute to your acne. Ever since I gave up eating crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks; my acne has gotten a lot better especially on my face. I've noticed that in the past year since I stopped eating that kind of food, my face is usually covered in comedones only and not as many red spots. I stopped eating that kind of food what; august 2003? Sometime then anyway.

Trust me it will help if you stop eating those kind of foods.

#37 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (stoneman @ Sep 15 2004, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE (Ryan Valmont @ Sep 9 2004, 11:28 AM)
Ok i eat ALOT of "Walkers -  Ready salted square crisps"...i think some of you guys from America might call them chips?.

I think it can contribute to your acne. Ever since I gave up eating crisps, chocolate and fizzy drinks; my acne has gotten a lot better especially on my face. I've noticed that in the past year since I stopped eating that kind of food, my face is usually covered in comedones only and not as many red spots. I stopped eating that kind of food what; august 2003? Sometime then anyway.

OMG stoneman you have given up EXACTLY what i've given up so far.

Fizzy Drinks
Chocolate

But i've now added

Added sugar - as in sugar for my cereal and tea/coffee

Also i'm cutting down on my crisp aswell

#38 Ryan Valmont

Ryan Valmont

The Rated R Superstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (scarface @ Sep 15 2004, 09:13 AM)
QUOTE (Ryan Valmont @ Sep 9 2004, 07:28 PM)
Ok i eat ALOT of "Walkers -  Ready salted square crisps"...i think some of you guys from America might call them chips?.

OMG! Listen, one bag of Walkers Crisps, typically 30g contains maybe 200 Calories.

So 10-15 bags is 2000-3000 Calories....

Now, the daily average for a man is 2500 cals....

And the amount of salt ur taking in.... blink.gif

How tall are u? How much exercise do u do? Are you overweight/obese? U gota consider these factors because if ur just average, then ur seriously overdosing on crisps!

What else do u eat?

I'm very slim looking...i'm 9 stone and am very healthy acept my asthma....

#39 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 September 2004 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (Ryan Valmont @ Sep 15 2004, 11:11 AM)

I'm very slim looking...i'm 9 stone and am very healthy acept my asthma....

Hope you don't mind -- I just felt the need to translate for the US folk. 9 stones = 126 pounds. (ie 1 stone = 14 pounds)

#40 stoneman

stoneman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Ryan Valmont @ Sep 15 2004, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE(stoneman @ Sep 15 2004, 10:55 AM)
QUOTE(Ryan Valmont @ Sep 9 2004, 11:28 AM)

OMG stoneman you have given up EXACTLY what i've given up so far.

Fizzy Drinks
Chocolate

But i've now added

Added sugar - as in sugar for my cereal and tea/coffee

Also i'm cutting down on my crisp aswell

View Post

Add milk aswell. Haven't had milk for over 6 months and I tend to eat dry cereal.