Photo

Want To Try To Get My Acne Under Control Naturally

natural holistic adult acne gluten probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 leelowe1

leelowe1

• Site Watch
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Hi all, i am a 28 year old woman who has struggled with mild to moderate acne since i was a teenager....sigh :-( I have taken Accutane a number of times with a period of approximately 2 years of clear skin each time. Acne really affects my self esteem and i just want to get it under control once and for all. Since August of this year (2011), i have been eating healthier meaning: no dairy, no meat (i'm a pescetarian) and very recently i have been gluten free. I also take the following supplements: omega 3,6,9 (though since i eat a lot of wild salmon i'm wondering if i really need it), probiotics, digestive enzymes.

Right now my acne is heading in the moderate direction, 3-7 inflamed pimples, lots of whiteheads and blackheads (my skin feels like sand paper all over), very dry after i wash it and then becomes very oily over time. Most of the inflamed pimples are on my chin and lower cheeks and they repeatedly go away and reappear in the same spot! blackheads are on my nose and forehead and i have other random whiteheads on hairline, lower jaw, etc.

Any advice that anyone can provide me would help. I've been going through a stressful time with my health (just found out i am borderline diabetic) and family situation and trying to work on my stress level.

Thanks!

PS: This board has been awesome and it gives me hope that i will find something besides accutane that works for me :-)

#2 Avenger

Avenger

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

Welcome to the forums.

You seem to be heading in the right direction. Keep the stress levels under control though and drink gallons of water.

Ice treatment could help with the inflamed pimples

#3 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:21 PM

http://www.acne.org/...od-t230714.html

#4 faithgirl1409

faithgirl1409

Faithgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:14 PM

hey:) im with ya, started when i was 12 now 27 and i feel ur pain!
try dans regimen , its working for me with over counter products ( neutrogena oil free foaming face cleanser ( pale blue bottle) then BP5% Im using ( benzac gel) which i apply after washing when face is dry.and i spread thin layer all over acne prone areas. then once dry i apply clean and clear oil free dual action moisturizer which helps reduce flakiness and soothes sin. after that if i have any really nasty big zits i just pile on bp on those spots at night. thats it, drink 1.5 litres water a day and i take zinc pills. if u are diabetic diet is key and u seem to be working on that too so ups to u.
if u can afford dans products i believe they are just awesome so worth trying, all the best on ur journey, im on week 7 almost with what i believe is great results so i believe in this!

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

Welcome.

Start by avoid/limiting processed foods - sugar, trans/hydrogenated fats, refined carb, soy and wheat based faux foods, etc. Replace with real, whole, colorful fruits and veggies and eggs from pastured hens. Keep all meals, drinks and snacks low to moderate Glycemic Load (that includes juices). Which every human should do. Our high glycemic diets are the reason you and most of the population are prediabetic and suffering from all kinds of health conditions. We can not be constantly spiking insulin or taking in more glucose than our cells can use.

And figure out any food intolerances you might have. Acne that appears in the same spot is often due to a food intolerance.

And no, if you eat fatty fish a few times per week, and are limiting/avoiding grains and grain oils, you should not need to supplement omega 3. Few people need to supplement omega 6s although one omega 6-- GLA--can be beneficial.

And above all, don't stress about it. Just start finding good things you like to eat and add them to your diet. Visit the pinned Food and Recipe thread for all kinds of meal and drink ideas and recipes. http://www.acne.org/...cipe-resource/ But throw out any sugary drinks right now.

Sleep, circadian cycle and physical activity/fitness are also just about as important in acne and in diabetes, btw. For more info on the many ways diet and lifestyle affect acne: http://www.acne.org/...od-t230714.html

Edited by alternativista, 01 October 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#6 FrustratedWoman

FrustratedWoman

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Your description of yourself and what you have tried sounds like me! I am also trying to do the natural route because accutane and antibiotics are only temporary and very bad for your health. I had previously used an omega oil in liquid form (to ease inflammation) and vitex (natural hormone leveler. Not an actual hormone. ) for about 5-6 months and saw drastic results! You mentioned breaking out around your chin and mouth... That is usually a telltale sign of hormonal related acne. Are the onset of your worst acne a week before your period? If so u may want to look into vitex. I wish I had never stopped because I hace broken out again. And this time with whiteheads and blackheads. I am looking into finding something good topically, but as of a month agi went back on vitex and getting the omega fish oil this weekend. I am also drinking an herbal tea for detoxifying the skin made from traditional chinese herbs.

#7 SuperMachii

SuperMachii

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:01 AM

Welcome.

Start by avoid/limiting processed foods - sugar, trans/hydrogenated fats, refined carb, soy and wheat based faux foods, etc. Replace with real, whole, colorful fruits and veggies and eggs from pastured hens. Keep all meals, drinks and snacks low to moderate Glycemic Load (that includes juices). Which every human should do. Our high glycemic diets are the reason you and most of the population are prediabetic and suffering from all kinds of health conditions. We can not be constantly spiking insulin or taking in more glucose than our cells can use.

And figure out any food intolerances you might have. Acne that appears in the same spot is often due to a food intolerance.

And no, if you eat fatty fish a few times per week, and are limiting/avoiding grains and grain oils, you should not need to supplement omega 3. Few people need to supplement omega 6s although one omega 6-- GLA--can be beneficial.

And above all, don't stress about it. Just start finding good things you like to eat and add them to your diet. Visit the pinned Food and Recipe thread for all kinds of meal and drink ideas and recipes. http://www.acne.org/...cipe-resource/ But throw out any sugary drinks right now.

Sleep, circadian cycle and physical activity/fitness are also just about as important in acne and in diabetes, btw. For more info on the many ways diet and lifestyle affect acne: http://www.acne.org/...od-t230714.html

This lady is right...

but i fear she gave you too much good info at once.

I suggest you also avoid too much inflammatory foods, and eat enough anti-inflammatory foods. Also be cautious of chained pimples.

#8 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

Ditch the grains, eat complete protein, tons of raw foods *salads* and both raw and cooked vegetables. Juice vegetables to get extra nutrition.

Also check out the movie "Simply Raw"--about how they cured a bunch of people of diabetes in one month on a raw food diet. I think it would be helpful for you, for your blood sugar issues as well as skin issues. Plus it's just an enjoyable film.

#9 numbaunstunna

numbaunstunna

Natural Healing

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Grains might or might not be a problem. I eat wheat bread all the time. But, in the interests of finding out what the 'trigger' foods are you need to keep a log of what you eat everyday and keep a log of your breakouts. That will give you an idea of what is triggering acne.

#10 vapor1

vapor1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:16 PM

If you're borderline diabetic, then you obviously have some insulin resistance which is caused by a high glycemic diet. I would start with a lower glycemic diet (which you're probably doing already) and cutting out vegetable oils (safflower, sunflower, soy, corn, etc) and soy + the gluten and dairy as you are already doing.

#11 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

Wheat bread isn't necessary for anyone and will only lead to further problems down the road. Just because you don't react with acne doesn't mean wheat is good for you.