Photo

Vegan, No Refined Foods Acne Diary

vegan healthy no salt no sugar green tea vegetarian

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
135 replies to this topic

#41 jennifer36

jennifer36

every moment is a gift of life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Things are improving I see! For the mask, I usually use about a quarter to half a tbsn of chlorella, same amount for spirulina, and 1-2 tbsn of oatmeal powerder. I add just enough water to where the mixture is slightly runny, but more thick than runny so that it'll adhere to your face. Glad you adjusted to the taste of the algae, it certainly took me some getting used too Posted Image

I've been doing the mask for about 3 days now, pretty big difference in terms of a healthy glow. I forgot how fast PIH and actives heal with this mask! I'm thinking about modifying the recipe and adding some clay for an overnight spot treatment for actives, I'll let you know how that goes. Lately I've ditched spot treatments just because of the hassle and overall mediocre results.

Definitely let me know how that goes! My spot treatment (derma e very clear) had been working really well at first but isn't as effective now that I've been using it for over a month. I'm going to try out your mask recipe tonight, I've been just using moisturizer + spirulina and chlorella but anything with less ingredients seems appealing to me. Especially with oatmeal!

Wow your skin is looking great! Absolutely glowing. You must be so pleased.

Thanks! You just made my week :). I am really proud of my skin now, although it's been a lot of work. There's still a little ways to go but I'm happy there's been such good progress.

I've been trying to eat generally healthy but the leftover halloween candy keeps tempting me.. We didn't have very many kids come to the door, so there's so much candy leftover. I've indulged a bit, but my skin isn't covered in cysts like it usually would be, thank you spirulina + chlorella. My eczema is also slowly going away, I'd read spirulina and chlorella could help with that too. I'm happy because now I don't need steroid creams to clear it.

From not eating basically ANY junk while I was on my diet, no refined sugars and added salts I can't even imagine eating some things. The idea of a veggie burger and fries from Harvey's makes me squirm now, all that oil and salt and fat. I couldn't imagine putting that into my body. I also don't crave salty food the way I did before. Sugars is a different story, I lovee chocolate still, but once it's lout of the house and not tempting me anymore I'll be a lot better.

#42 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

Not a HUGE improvement since last time, two new zits, the chocolate finally caught up with me. The rest of the red marks are slowly but surely healing, the two new zits aren't so bad, the one on my forehead came up like a nodule yesterday afternoon but is already going down, so I'm impressed. The one on my chin is a pimple, but not a really bad one. In general I'm much happier with my skin, and am patiently awaiting the active spots to vanish.

I find the spirulina mask with oatmeal to be drying, and somewhat exfoliating, I worry about it maybe irritating my skin. Tonight I went back to the spirulina mask with moisturizer to give my skin a bit of a break.

#43 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

I usually don't let the mask dry, kind of like a wet leave on mask for about 5 minutes. I need to find myself and affordable moisturizer to try out that version of the mask with! :lol: Have you tried making your own chocolate goods? I want to experiment with brownies, real cocoa powder, stevia, extra virgin coconut oil, coconut flour, etc.

#44 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

I actually haven't tried that but it sounds interesting! And I'm going to try that with my mask tonight! It sounds like it would solve the oatmeal mask issues I've been having. Also I use nivea visage rich moisturizing day care in the mask with spirulina and chlorella. It's fairly cheap (about 5-6 dollars Canadian). It's never wowed me as an outstanding product, but in the mask it works.

#45 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

Eek. I've been on a chocolate binge this past week/two weeks. Some form of it everyday and my skin is starting to show it. I mean not as badly as it would have before the spirulina but still. I'm punishing myself by drinking spirulina/chlorella with water, rather than in a smoothie, gag. Nose plugged and chasing with with juice, then more water. Really disgusting, have to think about this next time I want to eat chocolate everyday. I have two pimples by my mouth, two on my cheeks and some teensy tiny little whiteheads around the red marks on both my cheeks. At least I now have significant proof that chocolate causes me to break out.

Tonight I'm going to steam my pores, as well as do my spirulina/chlorella mask. The chlorella smells WAYYYY worse than the spirulina, and it's much more unbearable to drink. I`ve also been under more stress lately with work. I work in a Roots clothing store and it`s 25% off entire store and it`s been crazy leading up to and during the past few days and next few day. Busy and stressful and so much work to do prepping for holiday shopping season.

I`ll edit this post later on when I`m on my macbook (way better webcam) so you can see my backwards progress.

#46 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hi there!

Fist of all i gotta say you are very pretty, i'd definitly take you out haha
how old are you? i've been reading you eat peanut butter, you should cut it off, chocolate aswell, unless its dark natural sugar free chocolate
Gluten triggers many peoples acne, try cutting gluten aswell :)

good luck! let me know more about your progress

#47 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:37 AM

Your skin is improving so much!

Interesting to read your log as I am a vegan + am interested in buying either spirulina or chlorella to assist with my acne healing.

You're definitely persuading me to go for it and purchase some!

Hope work isn't too stressful for you!

#48 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

Hi there!

Fist of all i gotta say you are very pretty, i'd definitly take you out haha
how old are you? i've been reading you eat peanut butter, you should cut it off, chocolate aswell, unless its dark natural sugar free chocolate
Gluten triggers many peoples acne, try cutting gluten aswell Posted Image

good luck! let me know more about your progress

I've cut down a lot on peanut butter (it's the natural, 100% peanuts only kind) but I've been thinking about cutting it out altogether. I'm 20 years old. I've basically got back onto my skin diet, and eat super healthy again.

Your skin is improving so much!

Interesting to read your log as I am a vegan + am interested in buying either spirulina or chlorella to assist with my acne healing.

You're definitely persuading me to go for it and purchase some!

Hope work isn't too stressful for you!

Spirulina and chlorella are so helpful!!! I slacked on taking them last week and saw negative results after a few days. I'm back on taking them 10-20grams spirulina a day, 8-15 chlorella and no new zits since I started taking more. Besides, they both make me feel so much better. Proteins, vitamins, amino acids and such. Plus the mask works wonders. It's stinky and hard to wash off though which is a pain. The pills are much easier to take than the powder, so I'd recommend pills over powder any day for convenience and taste.

Photo on 2011-11-21 at 19.50.jpg Photo on 2011-11-21 at 19.50 #2.jpg

#49 kingaroo

kingaroo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hey! I basically am just starting a similar diet challenge. I decided I'm going to try going vegan for 30 days and see how it affects my skin, how I feel, etc. The worst of my acne is in the past, and now I pretty much just get some breakouts around my chin/jaw. (What I'm guessing is hormonal) Also, it seems like recently my shoulders and back have been getting more, (probably from picking at them...) but I just want to see if I can clear up my skin once and for all. Completely. My main issue right now is my pores that my skin type/having acne for 6ish years has left me. (I'm almost 17)

Good luck girl! I'll try to pop in from time to time and leave updates/see how you and whoever else that joins is doing. (:

#50 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hey! I basically am just starting a similar diet challenge. I decided I'm going to try going vegan for 30 days and see how it affects my skin, how I feel, etc. The worst of my acne is in the past, and now I pretty much just get some breakouts around my chin/jaw. (What I'm guessing is hormonal) Also, it seems like recently my shoulders and back have been getting more, (probably from picking at them...) but I just want to see if I can clear up my skin once and for all. Completely. My main issue right now is my pores that my skin type/having acne for 6ish years has left me. (I'm almost 17)

Good luck girl! I'll try to pop in from time to time and leave updates/see how you and whoever else that joins is doing. (:

Do you normally eat meat? If so you should find a good vegan protein otherwise you'll be exhausted after the first few days. Also try some detoxing with your diet, dandelion tea really helped my skin while I was drinking it (but it tastes gross so it's hard to stick to). I've heard that chlorella helps regulate hormones, so it could be beneficial to you, especially with your likely hormonal acne. My acne shifted around age 18-19 to become more on my cheeks and such, less along the jawline. So I get less hormonal acne, but still got other acne (my cheeks, mainly the right one). Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones whose acne goes away right around 18-19. Most of my friends are all acne free now, as if they just grew out of it magically after highschool. Good luck!!!

#51 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

I can't even believe I slacked with the spirulina/chlorella. It's been only a few days back on the mask & 15+grams spirulina, 7+grams chlorella daily and I've seen such an improvement. My chest acne is staying more or less under control. I find topical chamomile tea (pm) and green tea (am) help that acne significantly. For my face acne, redness is fading, and the number of actives has been cut in half. Yay! Next time I'm clearer I'm not stopping this stuff.

Photo on 2011-11-23 at 20.35 #3.jpg Photo on 2011-11-23 at 20.35 #4.jpg Photo on 2011-11-23 at 20.36 #3.jpg

Edited by jennifer36, 23 November 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#52 ohsailor

ohsailor

vegantastic.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:04 AM

You look really gorgeous + your skin is improving so much!

Glad to hear that everything is going so well for you!

BTW, have you got tunnels?

#53 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

That's great that your body acne is improving! I love spirulina and chlorella so much, it's done wonders for my family members who aren't willing to make much changes, unless it comes in a pill form :lol: I found a topical MSM lotion on amazon that I now use with chlorella/spirulina masks, what a spot treatment! Thanks for mentioning your mask sometime back, this works much better than oatmeal alone.

Have you thought about something like almond butter? I'm not sure how much I'm subscribed to the whole gut repair thing, but in theory you should be able to add it back in after eating a lot of nutritious foods for a long time that will help fix things, more or less. Have you ever thought about getting a juicer? I've been looking at raw foodists and whatnot, it seems that high amounts of juices from slow juicers (champion, omega, huron) are really beneficial, and much cheaper in comparison to the juicers that the gerson therapy uses.

Nice to see you here too ohsailor, didn't know you already stopped by here before I made that post in another thread :o

#54 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

You look really gorgeous + your skin is improving so much!

Glad to hear that everything is going so well for you!

BTW, have you got tunnels?

Thanks! And yes I do, 0 gauge :).

That's great that your body acne is improving! I love spirulina and chlorella so much, it's done wonders for my family members who aren't willing to make much changes, unless it comes in a pill form Posted Image I found a topical MSM lotion on amazon that I now use with chlorella/spirulina masks, what a spot treatment! Thanks for mentioning your mask sometime back, this works much better than oatmeal alone.

Have you thought about something like almond butter? I'm not sure how much I'm subscribed to the whole gut repair thing, but in theory you should be able to add it back in after eating a lot of nutritious foods for a long time that will help fix things, more or less. Have you ever thought about getting a juicer? I've been looking at raw foodists and whatnot, it seems that high amounts of juices from slow juicers (champion, omega, huron) are really beneficial, and much cheaper in comparison to the juicers that the gerson therapy uses.

I have thought about a juicer, and almond butter, lol! I think a juicer would be so beneficial, I think I'm going to start saving for one. A woman I work with has a Vita-Mix one and she absolutely loves it. I want to make a trip to the health food store later on tonight, so I might pick some up there. I've also been looking into raw food diets and such recently. I met someone a little while ago who stays away from most processed foods like me and he's pretty into raw foods... It seems like something definitely worth checking out.

I got a gross painful, but smallish nodule on my jawline last night. Yuck. One of those ones you can feel coming. It shrank a lot overnight though, thank you spirulina/chlorella mask. This seems to be a slow process but over time the results are really noticeable.

#55 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Great! My dad and I breakout from peanut butter, but almond butter is fine. I had a cheaper juicer the past month or so, but it broke (technically twice), so I'm going to invest in an Omega juicer since they have 10-15 year warrenties! The slow juicing helps keep in nutrients, and from what I see reviewers and videos, the pulp is pretty dry! There's so many testimonials to gerson therapy & people who start juicing regularly in general, I can't wait to get my hands on a good one.

#56 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:46 PM

Great! My dad and I breakout from peanut butter, but almond butter is fine. I had a cheaper juicer the past month or so, but it broke (technically twice), so I'm going to invest in an Omega juicer since they have 10-15 year warrenties! The slow juicing helps keep in nutrients, and from what I see reviewers and videos, the pulp is pretty dry! There's so many testimonials to gerson therapy & people who start juicing regularly in general, I can't wait to get my hands on a good one.

Hmm, you're making me want one even more. I'll have to do some more research on it today. Giving up peanut butter would be so hard! I love my organic "peanuts only" peanut butter and apples in the morning.

#57 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yeah, for the past couple weeks or so I've been going through reviews and youtube videos :lol: carrots+apple+ginger is my favorite juice by far, and pretty much all juices are anti-acne in some way. The sugar content never really gave me a problem either. Maybe with juicing you'll be able to handle the peanut butter! Ginger in particular really helped with various kinds of inflammation I was dealing with, namely back aches, headaches, and acne. I'm waiting for some precharge thing to clear off of my account from the last cancelled juicer I didn't order :lol: My dream one is the Omega VRT 350 HD, I think it has a 15 year warrenty, and if it'll last that long compared to the cheapo ones, it seems worth it!

#58 throughbeingcool

throughbeingcool

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

If you feel like you can't give up peanut butter, try sunflower seed butter! It's WAY better than almond butter in my opinion, and tastes the most like peanut butter (especially if you get the kind that actually has some sugar in it--but i know you probably won't want to). But forreal, it's tasty.

#59 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:47 PM

Yeah, for the past couple weeks or so I've been going through reviews and youtube videos Posted Image carrots+apple+ginger is my favorite juice by far, and pretty much all juices are anti-acne in some way. The sugar content never really gave me a problem either. Maybe with juicing you'll be able to handle the peanut butter! Ginger in particular really helped with various kinds of inflammation I was dealing with, namely back aches, headaches, and acne. I'm waiting for some precharge thing to clear off of my account from the last cancelled juicer I didn't order Posted Image My dream one is the Omega VRT 350 HD, I think it has a 15 year warrenty, and if it'll last that long compared to the cheapo ones, it seems worth it!

Lol yeah really! 15 years is such a long time, makes it so worth the price. I find that ginger helps, I have a ginger green tea that I lovee to drink.

If you feel like you can't give up peanut butter, try sunflower seed butter! It's WAY better than almond butter in my opinion, and tastes the most like peanut butter (especially if you get the kind that actually has some sugar in it--but i know you probably won't want to). But forreal, it's tasty.

Thanks! I'll have to try both and see what I think, if it doesn't cause breakouts and it's tasty I'm all for it. It's hard to find anti-inflammatory foods.

I'm being tempted with someone I work with to ditch chemicals altogether. My cleanser is fairly natural, but has a few chemicals in it. I do really like it though. We'll see what happens. I've made so much progress since I started eating much better that I don't really want to risk it. I've done the spirulina/chlorella/oat mask everyday for the past week, so tonight I'm going to try it with the moisturizer and see what happens. I also got a new soap, I hope it doesn't irritate my body acne.. It's made by the soap works, their oatmeal soap. I get eczema so maybe that will help out with that. I'd been using the normal white dove bar soap, because my mom says its good for eczema. They test on animals though I'm pretty sure, so I can't justify using it.

Edited by jennifer36, 26 November 2011 - 11:54 PM.

#60 jennifer36

jennifer36

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

This is my current regimen:

am
wash face w/ korres white tea fluid gel cleanser
tone face w/ green tea
moisturize w/ korres pomegranate balancing moisturizer
spot treat w/ derma e brand very clear spot treatment

pm
wash face w/ water
spirulina/chlorella mask
wash face w/ korres white tea fluid gel cleanser
tone w/ chamomile tea
spot treat w/ derma e brand very clear spot treatment

Mostly vegan diet (I eat organic honey). I avoid soy, high sodium foods, high sugar foods, refined sugars, processed foods and fried foods. I have the occasional treat but not very often. I consume at least 5grams chlorella and 7grams spirulina daily (usually I shoot for double that). I don't drink, I don't smoke cigarettes. 6/7 days of the week I do not wear any make-up. If I do it's a natural mascara only usually.

Can anyone recommend any more "superfoods" or foods/supplements that are helping them? Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback on pomegranate juice? I want to do anything else that I can to help speed up my healing process. Scar treatment recommendations would be greatly appreciated, mostly they're red marks though.