Photo

Are These Ingrown Hairs Or Just Acne?

shaving cream

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 ab85

ab85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:47 PM

I'm currently using a DE safety razor (Merkur razor with Derby blades) and just wet shaving in the shower with Dr. Bronner's tea tree soap (for a long time I used Cetaphil antibacterial bar). My skin is so fussy about products that I find this easier than using a separate shaving cream, after shave, etc. I prefer the safety razor to modern razors, which only seem to irritate me even more.

I've been noticing about 90% of my acne is on an area in which hair grows, so I've never thought about the possibility of ingrown hairs.

I also always have some irritation/breakouts in between eyebrows, as I have unfortunately started growing unibrow hairs recently and have been plucking them (always after shower, hold skin tight, use tweezers).

Any ideas/suggestions?

Attached File  IMG_20110923_132921.jpg   536.46K   82 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20110925_142611.jpg   479.6K   62 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20110925_143154.jpg   275.5K   35 downloads

#2 reality

reality

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

Looks like acne to me.

Suggestion: I wouldn't use the Cetaphil soap. It's garbage. (unless your seeing positive results?)

#3 ab85

ab85

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:37 PM

What would you recommend? I've only been using the Dr. Bronner's for a few days, but I like it so far.

#4 reality

reality

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

What would you recommend? I've only been using the Dr. Bronner's for a few days, but I like it so far.

Well, I did use Cetaphil products, the soap and the cleanser, they didn't do anything positive for my skin. My skin would always be dry and just wouldn't feel right. I recommend not using any type of cleanser. That's right wash with nothing but water. It works great!!! Check out the link in my signature.

Edited by reality, 25 September 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#5 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:53 PM

DE razors in general with any razors aren't the best thing for skin. If you choose to shave that way (as it strips your natural oils and acid mantle that are there to protect your skin) you have to do so the right way. Two passes with one going with the grain, and one going 90 degrees of the grain (never ever against the grain as that produces ingrown hairs). Most pimple and acne that are in the beard area or near eye hair, is the cause of broken hair follicles within the pore, and is typical of wet shaving. I would recommend not wet shaving, I highly recommend electric shaving as it does not use products on your face and the blade never presses against the skin to strip off oils or break follicles. You skin is already sensitive why make it worse.

#6 changedmynamefinally

changedmynamefinally

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

acne

#7 dieacnedie!

dieacnedie!

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

I get most of my acne in the same exact spots as you and I still am not completely sure if its acne or razor bumps/ingrown hairs. Ive tried tons of different acne medications, shavers, shaving creams, etc and nothing really makes much of a difference for me.

Well I know some of it is acne for sure, but I wonder if some of what I get is just from shaving.

Edited by dieacnedie!, 11 November 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#8 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:20 PM

holy shit, i get the same exact acne (pus filled lesions) on my beard area. They start off as red bumps than turn into pustules.

I never shave... just use a beard trimmer, yet i still get these damn things.

What could it be??

#9 Safinator

Safinator

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

Folliculitis + acne

Go to a prelevement and test for S. Aureus or other bacteria

#10 mm..Brian..

mm..Brian..

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:20 AM

It does look like folliculitis to me (infection of the hair follicle, can be cause by shaving). Try exfoliating the area, using a different method of hair removal (have you tried hair removal cream? waxing or even threading? I know they're more 'girly' things but they can be better for your skin in terms of folliculitis, in-growing hairs etc).

#11 collegeboy84

collegeboy84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Really hard to tell from the photos. Ingrown hairs tend to last a bit longer then a pimple.