247 replies to this topic

#41 popsi

popsi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

@moonbase: What about diary? You did not mention whether its good or bad to eat diary.

Chewing on old diaries isn't particularly good for you, although it's a good source of fiber! Posted Image

Posted Image LOL. Sorry for misspelling dairy (english is not my native language). Posted Image

@moonbase: I am 31 now and had oily, acne prone skin since puberty (13). When I was 16 my acne got worser (moderate acne) and I even had back acne.
I started taking a birth control pill then and took it for 12 years. During that time my skin was much better but still oily and I got a few pimples sometimes (not often).
I stopped taking the b/c pill with 28 and some months later my skin got more oily and I got a few pimples (I would say mild acne). But still not bad.

In May this year (4 month ago) I got a lot of breakouts. In June it was so bad that I had 20 zits at the same time around my chin / neck and got more zits every day. My acne was concentrated on my chin / neck but some weeks later I got also zits on my cheeks. At the moment I have 14-15 zits in my face (everywhere, but mainly in the near of my chin). I have scars and a lot of redmarks.

I have no idea why my acne got so bad 4 months ago. I am still eating the same things like in the past. I eat a lot of veggies, fruits, dairy, rice and bread. I do not eat meat and no fish (since 25 years). Can such a breakout still happen from food intolerances (even though my acne was just mild for the last 2.5 years)?

I started a low carb / anti candida diet 4 weeks ago. I didn't eat any fruits in the last 3 weeks (incorporated papayas one week ago). After 2 weeks my skin got much better. I was so happy and thought that my skin would improve from now on but it lasted only 3 days. Posted Image I ate cheese fondue on one day (I LOVE cheese) and 2 days later I started to breakout again.

I thought it was maybe coincidence since I am eating cheese every day (I crave cheese). I also drink milk every morning (it is in my muesli). A few days ago I have used goats milk instead of cows milk for the first time in my life. And now my face is totally inflamed. Posted Image Coincidence?

Today I ate only fruits like you suggested (2 pounds of papayas, 1/4 of a melon, a plum). I was hungry all the day long, and I am missing my cheese. Posted Image

Edited by popsi, 25 September 2011 - 07:11 PM.

#42 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:13 PM

Posted Image LOL. Sorry for misspelling dairy (english is not my native language). Posted Image

@moonbase: I am 31 now and had oily, acne prone skin since puberty (13). When I was 16 my acne got worser (medium acne) and I even had back acne.
I started taking a birth control pill then and took it for 12 years. During that time my skin was much better but still oily and I got a few pimples sometimes (not often).
I stopped taking the b/c pill with 28 and some months later my skin got more oily and I got a few pimples (I would say mild acne). But still not bad.

In May this year (4 month ago) I got a lot of breakouts. In June it was so bad that I had 20 zits at the same time around my chin / neck and got more zits every day. My acne was concentrated on my chin / neck but some weeks later I got also zits on my cheeks. At the moment I have 14-15 zits in my face (everywhere, but mainly in the near of my chin). I have scars and a lot of redmarks.

I have no idea why my acne got so bad 4 months ago. I am still eating the same things like in the past. I eat a lot of veggies, fruits, dairy, rice and bread. I do not eat meat and no fish (since 25 years). Can such a breakout still happen from food intolerances (even though my acne was just mild for the last 2.5 years)?

I started a low carb / anti candida diet 4 weeks ago. I didn't eat any fruits in the last 3 weeks (incorporated papayas one week ago). After 2 weeks my skin got much better. I was so happy and thought that my skin would improve from now on but it lasted only 3 days. Posted Image I ate cheese fondue on one day (I LOVE cheese) and 2 days later I started to breakout again.

I thought it was maybe coincidence since I am eating cheese every day (I crave cheese). I also drink milk every morning (it is in my muesli). A few days ago I have used goats milk instead of cows milk for the first time in my life. And now my face is totally inflamed. Posted Image Coincidence?

Today I ate only fruits like you suggested (2 pounds of papayas, 1/4 of a melon, a plum). I was hungry all the day long, and I am missing my cheese. Posted Image

Well, judging from what I read, you seem to have an issue with cheese/milk proteins (which may not be an intolerance but an allergy). I am assuming you avoided cheese, and dairy on your candida diet - and things got better. Well, the proof is in the pudding.Tthat's an assumption though. My recommendations for tonight, and tomorrow..

Eat way more!! fruit. If you're hungry, your body is telling you something. Try to incorporate some greens (kale spinach), and other veggies to help bulk up your meals. Now go finish the other 3/4ths of that melon, and eat all the fruit you can get your hands on.

Have you noticed a reduction in oil, and subdued redness?
Comments:
No acne, nearly invisible scars, and happy as can be. Thanks to fraxel and diet. Now i'm here to help others.

#43 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

@dance dd

As long as it takes.. when you don't get acne, you may not be there yet.. - when you cheat, on a fairly regular basis, and don't get acne - you're there.

My suggestion for you is to try and follow my recommendations as closely as possible. 2nd suggestion would be to eat more, stress and insufficient calories are strongly correlated. dont worry, tonnes of veggies, fruit, and lean protein is not going to cause weight gain. Someone who isn't active can easily need to consume 3000->4000 calories just to heal optimally.

yeah I am thinking of trying this for 2 or 3 days to see how I feel. I have nothing to loose. So I will just reduce my fat intake in my Paleo diet and slightly increase my fruit intake. And the only fat I will consume is coconut oil, coconut milk and cultured coconut. And replace proteins with mostly fish and seafood. It won't be too hard since I am already eating a Paleo diet.

#44 popsi

popsi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

Well, judging from what I read, you seem to have an issue with cheese/milk proteins (which may not be an intolerance but an allergy). I am assuming you avoided cheese, and dairy on your candida diet - and things got better.

First of all, thanks a lot for your reply. Posted Image To answer your question: No, I still ate cheese and drank milk during my anti-candida diet, but less than before. On some days I used coconut milk instead of cows milk. My skin improved. Then my boyfriend had birthday and we ate the cheese fondue and 2 days later my skin got bad.

Well, the proof is in the pudding.Tthat's an assumption though. My recommendations for tonight, and tomorrow..

Eat way more!! fruit. If you're hungry, your body is telling you something. Try to incorporate some greens (kale spinach), and other veggies to help bulk up your meals. Now go finish the other 3/4ths of that melon, and eat all the fruit you can get your hands on.

OK will do.

Have you noticed a reduction in oil, and subdued redness?

Do you mean 2 weeks after I started the diet (when my skin improved)? I would say yes, my skin was less inflamed and maybe a tiny bit less oily.

Edited by popsi, 25 September 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#45 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hey fellow Washingtonian Posted Image

How long does one need stay on this strict diet before the body is functioning "normal" ? Until they are completely clear?

I actually follow a Paleo with fruit related diet already but not clear yet. Although I follow it about 80% and its hard to realistically avoid all omega 6's and gluten 100% of the time unless you stay in your house all the time and not go out. Looking into dealing with my stress issues now.

i eat lunch out 5 days out of the week, it isnt hard to avoid gluten (i should know im allergic to it). salads salads salads.

yeah I eat mostly salads when I am eating out too. But the way the meat/fish is prepared can have some trace amounts of gluten too. Thats why I said you can't avoid it 100% of the time when eating out.

#46 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:27 PM

i used barbosal shave cream and sometimes some upper end shave creams lathered with a badger hair brush. it literally destroyed my skin. i switched back to water only and electric razor and bam back to clear skin again, ive been clear ever since. there are many people with similar stories as mine, no diet change and got completely clear.

Once again, that's not acne. Breaking out from shaving is folliculitus. Was your severe acne ever anywhere outside the beard area?

Edited by alternativista, 25 September 2011 - 07:29 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#47 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:38 PM

Do you mean 2 weeks after I started the diet (when my skin improved)? I would say yes, my skin was less inflamed and maybe a tiny bit less oily.

Today, if you avoided everything but fruit - did you notice sebum secretions were less than normal?

yeah I am thinking of trying this for 2 or 3 days to see how I feel. I have nothing to loose. So I will just reduce my fat intake in my Paleo diet and slightly increase my fruit intake. And the only fat I will consume is coconut oil, coconut milk and cultured coconut. And replace proteins with mostly fish and seafood. It won't be too hard since I am already eating a Paleo diet.

Sounds like you have a good foundation..
I'd be wary of cultured coconut as the bacteria they use to culture may not be optimal. Generally speaking the bacteria in your diet, should be that of the foods you consume (raw foods contain bacteria and microbes naturally). If I were you, I would take a weekend, when you have the free time to cook all your own food, and eat more than you normally would (I fear many people on strict diets, avoid so much food they don't get enough calories) - If you'd like skip the fish/oils, keep to just fruit/veggies and monitor how your body reacts. If you notice, less oil, and reduced redness, that pretty much hits the nail on the head for your issues.

Edited by moonbase, 25 September 2011 - 07:49 PM.

Comments:
No acne, nearly invisible scars, and happy as can be. Thanks to fraxel and diet. Now i'm here to help others.

#48 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:54 PM

I'd be wary of cultured coconut as the bacteria they use to culture may not be optimal. Generally speaking the bacteria in your diet, should be that of the foods you consume (raw foods contain bacteria and microbes naturally). If I were you, I would take a weekend, when you have the free time to cook all your own food, and eat more than you normally would - If you'd like skip the fish/oils, keep to just fruit/veggies and monitor how your body reacts. If you notice, less oil, and reduced redness, that pretty much hits the nail on the head for your issues.

So you saying just to eat fruit/veggie for 2 days or so? And then go back to the Paleo diet and that will clear it?
I would probably get diarrhea eating a lot of fruit on those 2 days to get to my normal calorie intakePosted Image

I noticed under your profile that you erased (today) what you used on your skin and supplements. So you don't use anything extra to your skin other than diet?

Btw, thanks for taking the time to write this post and replying to all of our questions!

Edited by dancedd, 25 September 2011 - 07:54 PM.

#49 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

I'd be wary of cultured coconut as the bacteria they use to culture may not be optimal. Generally speaking the bacteria in your diet, should be that of the foods you consume (raw foods contain bacteria and microbes naturally). If I were you, I would take a weekend, when you have the free time to cook all your own food, and eat more than you normally would - If you'd like skip the fish/oils, keep to just fruit/veggies and monitor how your body reacts. If you notice, less oil, and reduced redness, that pretty much hits the nail on the head for your issues.

So you saying just to eat fruit/veggie for 2 days or so? And then go back to the Paleo diet and that will clear it?
I would probably get diarrhea eating a lot of fruit on those 2 days to get to my normal calorie intakePosted Image

I noticed under your profile that you erased (today) what you used on your skin and supplements. So you don't use anything extra to your skin other than diet?

Btw, thanks for taking the time to write this post and replying to all of our questions!

I use copperpeptide serum to promote skin healing and regeneration - will keep me young for life Posted Image I just use simple soaps (dr bronners), and mild moisturizers.

It's a suggestion, to see how your skin/body reacts without fat/protein clouding things. Diarhea can be a good thing, if your bacteria is out of wack - though that's very individual. Just do what feels right and gauge. Would you say you are prone to diarrhea, like it happens more often than normal?

I attached a salad I just made for dinner, maybe it will entice some people.

Red cabbage, mixed greens, 2 apricots, 2 plums, 2 kiwi, 2 dates.

Attached Thumbnails

• SALAD-FRUIT.JPG

Edited by moonbase, 25 September 2011 - 08:19 PM.

Comments:

#50 ClownSki

ClownSki

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

when you say fish oil supplements, are you talking about high quality liver oils too? or just the pills?

#51 popsi

popsi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

Today, if you avoided everything but fruit - did you notice sebum secretions were less than normal?

Yes definitely, I would say 30% less oily today.

#52 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

when you say fish oil supplements, are you talking about high quality liver oils too? or just the pills?

I am assuming you're referring to Fermented Cod Liver oil? I have a bottle in my fridge - however i'm weary of all isolated fish oils, and I no longer use it. Why not just eat fish/seafood?

Fantastic, and think, this is only day 1.
Comments:

#53 ClownSki

ClownSki

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

I am assuming you're referring to Fermented Cod Liver oil? I have a bottle in my fridge - however i'm weary of all isolated fish oils, and I no longer use it. Why not just eat fish/seafood?

I use fish oil to lower the O6:O3 ratio of my meals when i'm not eating fish.

i don't eat fish 3 times a day.

#54 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:55 PM

@Clownski

In regards to lowering the ratio of omega 6:3 it's really not that important, if you lower your omega 6 intake, as drasticaly as possible the ratio will go up. Thinking like that will be beneficial. Their are other seafood choices rather than fish: raw oysers, prawns, clams, muscles etc. I'm sorry if my plan seems to rigid, but my recommendations are based around the philosophy of avoiding foods that cause issues for a period of rehabilitation. If you must consume other sources of protein, choose ethical raised (grass fed) sources of meat - conventional meat is just a nightmare. You can also choose to eat organ meats which contain much less fat, and higher nutrient levels than muscle meats. In the end - It all comes down to how much you'd like to rid yourself of your issues.

Edited by moonbase, 25 September 2011 - 09:03 PM.

Comments:

#55 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:29 AM

thats a nice salad!

what do you normally eat moonbase on a daily basis? Paleo diet too?

#56 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:04 AM

thats a nice salad!

what do you normally eat moonbase on a daily basis? Paleo diet too?

Well now that things are better I consume a little more variety.. but I very rarely stray out of the paleo world. I keep things as simple as possible.

I usually eat a big salad (as above), have a moderate size chunk of protein (20g worth) and a mid sized tuber.

Everything I eat from the ground is organic Everything I eat from animals is wild caught or 100% grass fed.
I keep my diet as raw as possible.
Fruit, usually 6 pieces with each meal - wide variety, but I stay away from apples/pears/citrus/peaches/bananas.
For starch: Sweet potatoes (purple ones are my favourite), taro, and the occasional yucca.
For veggies: Broccoli/spinach/kale/random greens/red cabbage/squash/etc.-- I do stay away from the nightshade family.
For the sins of flesh: Fish(salmon, sole, snapper, halibut, cod) -- usually for 2-3 of my 4 meals. Raw oysters, lightly sauteed muscles or scallops. Grass fed beef/lamb (I like organs). The occasional egg but i've never been a huge fan. I cook everything with coconut oil most often.

With each meal I have a green shake.. with spirulina, chlorella and with one meal i'll add in some cacao. I also usually eat a raw carrot with each meal.. sometimes right before if my body is getting too excited while the food is cooking haha.

When it comes to non paleo foods.. i've got a stockpile of raw butter in my freezer, and I drink raw milk from time to time. I don't cook fancy meals often but when I do (lol Dos Equis meme) I like to have the best ingredients available.

What about you?

Edited by moonbase, 26 September 2011 - 02:34 AM.

Comments:

#57 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:02 AM

wow so you always eat organic and grass fed? do you ever eat out?

I don't like too many meals a day. So I typically only eat around 3 meals a day. I am definitely not underweight so I don't need to eat more. LOL

Breakfast: Usually grass fed sassages with some green veggies steamed or raw with coconut oil. Or a green smoothie consisting of coconut milk/cultured milk, veggie and 1 or 2 piece of fruits. Or sometimes I fast coz I am usually not that hungry in mornings.

Lunch: Big salad with 1 or 2 table spoons of olive oil plus some protein (chicken/red meat/fish/seafood).

Dinner: Steamed veggies with some protein (chicken/red meat/fish/seafood) plus sweet potato or some squash or rice with butter or coconut oil added. Or soup with some protein.

Note: I also take a multivitamin, magnesium, saw palmetto extract (not for acne reasons) and recently stopped cod liver oil/fish oil. I do eat cheese, white potatoes, and nuts/seeds sometimes. Most of my protein sources are not organic, grass fed or wild. Cost issues. And I do eat out 2 to 3 times a week so I am sure I am exposed to gluten unfortunately. Also, keep in mind I am not 100% clear. lol

Edited by dancedd, 26 September 2011 - 03:25 AM.

#58 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:04 AM

You eat a lot better than the SAD! Heh, it's funny you ask.. I'm an organic nut - though the benefits aren't huge, but I like to cover my bases. I don't eat out - on very rare occasions i'll go out for dinner/lunch(friends or lady) but I'd rather make my own meals.
Comments:

#59 popsi

popsi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

Your salad looks yummy, moonbase. Posted Image

Yes, I hope I will see further improvement today and in the future.
Today my skin looks like yesterday (the zits are still there - of course) but some are less painful and I didn't get new zits!

So today I am going to eat fruits and veggies (yesterday only fruits, nothing else). Do you think it would be also ok to eat fresh coconut meat (from our own coconuts) today or should I wait with this until tomorrow?

And what about avocados?

Edited by popsi, 26 September 2011 - 08:40 AM.

#60 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:46 PM

Oh i'm jealous of your fresh coconut. Coconut water and meat will be fine. I would stay away from avocado's for now, but just initially - having part of one with your fruit wont be the end of the world, but it does increase your omega 6/fat intake largly. The period of mainly fruit and veggies is just a test to see how your body reacts to the foods. Doing it for a day or two is fine, but incorporating fish and other foods into the diet tomorrow is fine.

Edited by moonbase, 26 September 2011 - 12:57 PM.

Comments: