This topic is archived.
247 replies to this topic

#21 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:34 PM

My recommendations are far beyond the principles of healthy eating - I've researched that for ages and ages. When you get passed skimming the surface of the nutritional atmosphere, you realise things are far more complicated than you think.. it's not a battle of macro-nutrients. What I am now doing is taking everything i've learned and compiling a dietary regemine that targets acne, and related issues - fixes them.. so you can return to any diet you wish (within reason of course).

what other related issues are you talking about? not all acne is food related? what about eczema?

#22 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

Sugar: I dont feel like I even need to dedicate any time to this, but yes, sugar or any atificial sweetener is absolutely out of the question.

Does this mean that you're against the use of carbohydrates in general, and advocate the use of strict low-carbohydrate foods? All carbohydrates are digested into simple sugars (typically glucose and fructose) before they're absorbed into the blood.

#23 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:54 PM

@bryan

Not at all, but sugar being an isolated carbohydrate, does not contain any co factors used in the processing - thus leading to deficiencies and dis-regulation. Infact sugar (glucose+fructose) is a very ample fuel, and it's why I suggest fruit. But I think you knew that bryan.. I guess we both know playing dumb is the best way to get the facts. Posted Image

@freeliving

In my opinion all acne is diet in origin - when you dig past surface issues. These other issues i'm referring to are general hormone imbalance problems, diabetes, IBS, IBD, etc.. Ezema is just another symptom of similar root causes -nutritional deficiency, microbial imbalance, intolerance's, hormones etc. - relating to an over/under active immune system. Everyone's body reacts in different ways to nutritional imbalance. There are genetic reasons for this, but I dont feel confident discussing them.

Edited by moonbase, 25 September 2011 - 03:58 PM.

#24 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

@bryan

Not at all, but sugar being an isolated carbohydrate, does not contain any co factors used in the processing - thus leading to deficiencies and dis-regulation. Infact sugar (glucose+fructose) is a very ample fuel, and it's why I suggest fruit. But I think you knew that bryan.. I guess we both know playing dumb is the best way to get the facts. Posted Image

Considering the astonishing amount of confusion and false information that some people exhibit when talking about issues relating to diet (look at the other recent thread I posted in, in which somebody referred to fructose as being a "complex carbohydrate"), doesn't it seem like it's a really good idea to be extremely cautious about what one says when discussing these things? Posted Image

#25 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:25 PM

Considering the astonishing amount of confusion and false information that some people exhibit when talking about issues relating to diet (look at the other recent thread I posted in, in which somebody referred to fructose as being a "complex carbohydrate"), doesn't it seem like it's a really good idea to be extremely cautious about what one says when discussing these things? Posted Image

I was just teasing :). But you're spot on with that.

#26 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:47 PM

@freeliving

In my opinion all acne is diet in origin - when you dig past surface issues. These other issues i'm referring to are general hormone imbalance problems, diabetes, IBS, IBD, etc.. Ezema is just another symptom of similar root causes -nutritional deficiency, microbial imbalance, intolerance's, hormones etc. - relating to an over/under active immune system. Everyone's body reacts in different ways to nutritional imbalance. There are genetic reasons for this, but I dont feel confident discussing them.

if that were true i would not be clear right now and neither would many people that have eczema. the skin is a large organ and although the sebum gland is influenced by internal hormones it is also influenced by the physical processes happening on the skin. things that produce dry skin are clearly off limits for them, and that usually includes all topicals, hot/warm water, etc.

#27 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

if that were true i would not be clear right now and neither would many people that have eczema. the skin is a large organ and although the sebum gland is influenced by internal hormones it is also influenced by the physical processes happening on the skin. things that produce dry skin are clearly off limits for them, and that usually includes all topicals, hot/warm water, etc.

Persons with eczema are not maintaining adequate skin lipids (nothing to do with sebum), and becoming hyper reactive to exterior influences (nickel allergy as an example). Which I believe point to one of the problems I listed above.

Edited by moonbase, 25 September 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#28 borie88

borie88

Getting there

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:中文,sports, languages, singing, music, etc.

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

I agree with Chunk. If that is the same study that was presented before in this forum with the high fat diet, the high fat diet was NOT paleo and consisted of junky fat based foods. And my name is not boris, wtf. We need to be very skeptical when it comes to claims of clearing all of your acne, especially when these claims are contradictions of proven methods.

#29 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:07 PM

Persons with eczema are not maintaining adequate skin lipids (nothing to do with sebum), and becoming hyper reactive to exterior influences (nickel allergy as an example). Which I believe point to one of the problems I listed above.

im not here to shit on your parade but im going to. i had severe acne for 4 years, and I can still get it if i get lazy with my regime or try new things as happened to me about 1 year ago. I cleared my acne not with diet, and at the time i got 100% clear i was eating the worst i had in my whole life (college diet). diet did not play any role in my clearing up, my acne was purely an external problem. soaps and creams and other topicals produced my acne and after i stopped using them and started using water only i got clear, no zits, no blemishes. about one year ago i started wet shaving for the first time in my life, boy was that a mistake. i used barbosal shave cream and sometimes some upper end shave creams lathered with a badger hair brush. it literally destroyed my skin. i switched back to water only and electric razor and bam back to clear skin again, ive been clear ever since. there are many people with similar stories as mine, no diet change and got completely clear.

#30 borie88

borie88

Getting there

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

@freeliving - If you got clear without dieting, why are you posting here? People are looking for answers and MANY people here have only been clear through diet.

#31 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:13 PM

That does interfere with what i'm getting at all. If you read my post it was to those with persistent inflammatory acne. You're body is not all that out of wack, and because of your genetic makeup - you didn't experience detrimental skin flareups/hormone dis-regulation. If a poor diet caused acne barnone - I think every kid in the western world would have acne, but we know that's no the case.

#32 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

@freeliving - If you got clear without dieting, why are you posting here? People are looking for answers and MANY people here have only been clear through diet.

1. because i can
2. did you read the title of this thread?
3. i am allergic to gluten so i find it interesting in to read about diet

another thing you need to realize is that yes it can be external and not just internal problems. sure many have used diet to get clear, but there are still many that it did not work for. what do you have to say to them?

Edited by freeliving, 25 September 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#33 borie88

borie88

Getting there

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

I'd have to say browse another topic... Don't be childish, this is a mature conversation.

#34 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:36 PM

moon base, can you explain what is so bad about red meats?

#35 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:37 PM

Hey fellow Washingtonian Posted Image

How long does one need stay on this strict diet before the body is functioning "normal" ? Until they are completely clear?

I actually follow a Paleo with fruit related diet already but not clear yet. Although I follow it about 80% and its hard to realistically avoid all omega 6's and gluten 100% of the time unless you stay in your house all the time and not go out. Looking into dealing with my stress issues now.

#36 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hey fellow Washingtonian Posted Image

How long does one need stay on this strict diet before the body is functioning "normal" ? Until they are completely clear?

I actually follow a Paleo with fruit related diet already but not clear yet. Although I follow it about 80% and its hard to realistically avoid all omega 6's and gluten 100% of the time unless you stay in your house all the time and not go out. Looking into dealing with my stress issues now.

i eat lunch out 5 days out of the week, it isnt hard to avoid gluten (i should know im allergic to it). salads salads salads.

#37 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:54 PM

@dance dd

As long as it takes.. when you don't get acne, you may not be there yet.. - when you cheat, on a fairly regular basis, and don't get acne - you're there.

My suggestion for you is to try and follow my recommendations as closely as possible. 2nd suggestion would be to eat more, stress and insufficient calories are strongly correlated. dont worry, tonnes of veggies, fruit, and lean protein is not going to cause weight gain. Someone who isn't active can easily need to consume 3000->4000 calories just to heal optimally.

@ freeliving

I'm not sure what your point is. So you put a bunch of garbage on your face and got a bad reaction?

Anyways, as far as red meat goes, it's not that red meat is bad.. it just digest very slowly (bacteria have a feeding frenzy), usually contains larger amounts of fat than most fish(leaning towards omega 6), and if not sourced correctly has some 'evil' stuff in it. The point is, if you're acne is better, feel free to consume grass fed beef. Good luck!

Edited by moonbase, 25 September 2011 - 06:04 PM.

#38 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

I'm not sure what your point is. So you put a bunch of garbage on your face and got a bad reaction?

Anyways, as far as red meat goes, it's not that red meat is bad.. it just digest very slowly (bacteria have a feeding frenzy), usually contains larger amounts of fat than most fish(leaning towards omega 6), and if not sourced correctly has some 'evil' stuff in it. The point is, if you're acne is better, feel free to consume grass fed beef. Good luck!

you need to learn how the skin (bodies largest organ) operates and what it has in order to fight off bacteria and keep the moisturized all by itself. products that are place on the skin thwart that process and produce, dead, dry/irritated skin with sebum oil imbalances. it was that in a nut shell (and hot/warm water expands and contracts oils) that caused my acne. food never broke me out, even though I have allergies towards gluten (which gives me sinus attacks and swollen ear glands).

the protein in meat may take longer to digest however that isn't necessarily a bad thing. protein that digests slower over the day is actually a good thing at maintaining energy (this comes from a weightlifting standpoint). other protein like whey as digested very fast, and do not help one to maintain energy throughout the day this is why i asked.

the reason i am hear sharing this is in case someone comes on here tries this and it doesnt work for them, it isnt all internal folks and thats the bottom line, it can be fore many or it cant be, if it isnt for you then there are other ways of dealing with acne.

#39 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

@ freeliving
You've got a lot to learn about how the skin(and the body for that matter) works, it's not me who's confused. Sebum has nothing to do with skin moisture, I already explicitly said that. Re-read everything i've said, i've answered all your questions.

Edited by moonbase, 25 September 2011 - 06:21 PM.

#40 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image I'm not sure what your motivation is for harassing me.. but i've been more than reasonable, by answering your questions. I don't care how you solved your acne issue, that's not up for debate. This thread is for those that have acne, haven't been able to cure it-- and this is a resolution that will repair their bodies. The fact that your don't understand skin lipids, digestion and beyond is not my concern, but i've done my best to explain this to you. Please post elsewhere, or be kind to those that know more than you, and are simply trying to help. To make this clear and easy for you to grasp - children don't excrete sebum, yet has soft and subtle skin. Your hands don't have sebaceous glands, yet your hands are soft. Sebum is completely non-essential for healthy functioning skin.

Edited by moonbase, 25 September 2011 - 06:49 PM.