This topic is archived.
247 replies to this topic

#241 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Hold on to your socks - i'll have a ultra version up this weekend. Will go over everything you could possibly want to know.

#242 outofoptions

outofoptions

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

That is quite a good diet. I would try cutting the berries, apple, pineapple and perhaps even the kiwi - all of those fruits can be problem causing.

I would also consider kicking the chicken breast.. you are way over doing it with the protein as it is. I wouldn't eat more than 1lb of fish.

I am also rather surprised you can eat that all in one day - I mean that's A LOT of food. One guess would be that you're eating more than your digestive system can handle.

Are you on any medications/supplements?

If you ate that much or even close to that much for 2 months straight.. you should have gained a pretty fair amount of weight.. 15ish lb's. If you haven't gained that much weight there would be a lack of proper assimilation of that food.

How is your stool, regularity, and over all digestion?

How do you cook the foods, and with what?

EDIT:

I would consider tossing all the vegetables. Just stick to tubers, fruit and fish

I'm 6'3", weigh 200 lbs, and am fairly lean (approx 10% bf). I workout and am pretty strong(600 lb DL, 450 lb squat. Not trying to brag, just pointing out that I do lift heavy if that is an issue), and also am rather active throughout the day, hence my high caloric intake. My workouts are intense but short. 4 days/week, about 30-40 minutes tops. A few years ago when I first started this healthy lifestyle I was anorexic and 135 lb. I've been slowly increasing calories, and subsequently my weight since then. This pretty much maintains my weight right now which isn't too shocking with my activity level. Digestion is really good. I never feel bloated or gassy. I have 2-3 bowel movements per day. Stool is good. My overall digestion has improved drastically over the years, along with general health and well-being, just this persistent damn acne. I bake my fish with herbs and spices. Chicken is made in the crockpot on low. Veggies are steamed or raw(green smoothie). Tubers are baked. I feel like the protein amount is good for me. Any less and I feel I have trouble recovering from workouts. Btw, I stopped working out for about 4 months about a year ago, and dropped my protein intake drastically, and still had acne. This makes me think that my workouts and protein intake are not the problem. I was still eating a very similar diet at the time, except less carbs and more fat.

I appreciate your time and suggestions. I will try cutting back on some veggies(which seems quite weird, but what the hell), and stick more to grapes and melons for fruit, along with yams, and other tubers. Sound like a reasonable plan?

Edited by outofoptions, 01 December 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#243 Tunnelvisionary

Tunnelvisionary

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me
  • Interests:AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA BREAK MY STRIDE. AIN'T NOTHIN GONNA SLOW ME DOWN.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Just thought i'd chime in...outofoptions, since that is quite a lot of food split into four meals, maybe it would be wise to split it into ever smaller portions...if nothing else works, it might be worth a shot.

Edited by Tunnelvisionary, 01 December 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#244 unbreakable1

unbreakable1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:30 PM

Question

Are any types of bread, beans (the kind like Heinz), crackers, or tinned soups ok? Or anything that isn't on the list in the first post? Eggs maybe?

Also, you mentioned about only having ethically raised chicken. What's the difference, in relation to acne, about a cheap one from the supermarket freezer? I need a list of acne-safe meats.

Very informative btw, thanks a lot.

Edited by Callum., 02 December 2011 - 03:43 PM.

#245 bofur

bofur

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hold on to your socks - i'll have a ultra version up this weekend. Will go over everything you could possibly want to know.

I've been looking forward to the updated version for a while now. The first post is already very informative.

#246 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:13 PM

*jeopardy music*

#247 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image

#248 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I'm into written/spoken word, nutrition, astrology, and light roast coffee.

Achievements

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image

#249 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Being happy, health, and expanding and manipulating my mind to have it be what I want. I want everyone else to be warmed by the sun light that reveals the world of corruption we live in! We will heal and be lovely again!

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

How about all organic, grass feed meats? Are those allowed? Liver=yum, but not unless organic, and loads of beans, potatoes, yuka, spinach, coconut milk, brown rice, coconut oil, and fish!

Oh, and fruits of course! Melons, banana's, some apples (not a big fan), drizzled in some raw honey!

#250 miriamlouise

miriamlouise

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:nursing, vegetarianism, nutrition, christianity, religion, international relations, politics, development, culture, beauty, fashion, good food, tea, reading, music, movies

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

Hi moonbase,

This is an interesting take on the acne/diet idea ... you've certainly got quite a depth and breadth of nutritional knowledge! I'm a nursing student with a bit of an interest in nutrition, and I was just wondering if you would mind compiling a bibliography? I'd be really interested to check out some of the sources you've used. It'd be a great resource for people who would like to look into these things a little further for themselves.

#251 CocnutCaramel

CocnutCaramel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Books, food, performance art

Achievements

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

I have been reading this whole thread, and I must say I feel so INSPIRED!

All my life I've been interested in experementing with what I eat, mostly tried all sorts of "health food" types of diets - vegetarian, vegan, Raw food vegan for a few months and so on, trying to find foods that "fit" my body. I've never had any weight- or major health issues, aside from acne (which may or may not be a big problem, I've been picking for ages so I'm not really sure how bad it is "au naturel". That's why I'm on here, to keep a no-more-picking journal)

The past months I've had MASSIVE cravings for a couple of foods: winter squash/pumpkin, sweet potatoes, kale, spinach, arugula (rocket), dates, anything with coconut, pears, fish and quinoa. I always think it's interesting to look further into how cravings are interconnected with healing and how our bodies communicate to us, so I was happy to see that a few of my craving-foods were amongst what you recommend.
Reading all your posts, Moonbase, makes me really interested in making some further changes in my diet. When I was on raw foods I got into this very intuitive state with food, where I got really good signals about what felt right for me and not. Fresh fruits and green juices felt like my best friends. I want more greens and more fruit! and more fish!

To me, fruits + greens + fish + tubers makes perfect sense. I can feel my body relax and get happy just thinking about focusing my diet around those things. I think I'll make some changes, cut back on oils and fat in general and up the fish and greens intake. Quinoa and oats are beloved parts of my diet, even though I can understand how they might be harmful.

On a regular day I'll have
Breakfast: Apple juice with 1 tsp spirulina and 1 tsp acai powder. Cooked oatmeal with 2-3 pieces of fruit and soy milk, a cooked egg or rice crackers with nut butter/fruit
Snack: 2 pieces fresh fruit, or dried figs and almonds
Lunch: Cooked quinoa, kale, baked butternut squash, tofu or beans. Salad of arugula, apple and cucumber.
Snack: Useualy "brownie": dates, walnuts, cacao, vanilla bean, grated coconut in food processor.
Dinner: Depends, sometimes veg soup, sometimes like lunch, sometimes just different things: fruit, rice crackers, leftovers, nuts.
(ofcourse, this is different every day, but a general idea of my preferences)
I drink only herbal teas (and lots of water, ofcourse), and supplement Vit D, B complex and one with Iron+minerals. And a probiotic.

I'm really looking forward to reading your lists and recommendations and tweaking my diet to match it better :) Keep up the great work, we all need food for thought and challenging ideas to break old habits and find new paths to health and happiness.

#252 unbreakable1

unbreakable1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Is this restrictive diet suitable for candida? I want to try and eliminate possible food intolerance, candida etc with the foods allowed in the first post.

ALSO - You mention seafood being safe, but I have read something about it causing breakouts... Iodine etc...

Edited by Callum., 04 December 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#253 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

UPDATE: Okay one more day :(

#254 nov2011

nov2011

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:47 AM

-

Edited by nov2011, 17 December 2011 - 07:41 PM.

#255 Chestercool

Chestercool

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

hey moonbase! :)

what are your thoughts about glutamine to repair the gut and help the liver? (plus it is an anticatabolic which means you avoid muscle-loss during this diet)

#256 OneTwoPassIt

OneTwoPassIt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

How are you advocating large amounts of fruit after posting about the GAPS diet?

#257 moonbase

moonbase

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

How are you advocating large amounts of fruit after posting about the GAPS diet?

The road has more than one lane.

#258 OneTwoPassIt

OneTwoPassIt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

The road has more than one lane.

Yeah, but those lanes go in opposite directions. If you believe acne's due to gut flora imbalance/poor digestion then fruit is going to make things worse.

#259 nov2011

nov2011

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

-

Edited by nov2011, 17 December 2011 - 07:40 PM.

#260 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:55 PM

Posted Image