Photo

Omega 6's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:35 PM

Do they only come from fried and processed foods? Where can I get 'em?
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#2 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:43 PM

Okay, I found a decent explanation of what they are. I get them from eggs. I am just making sure I get enough since I am now taking fish oil. I don't want my ratio of 6's to 3's off.

Here is the link.
http://www.wholeheal...25,1037,00.html

I'm a bit confused. It says prostaglandins reduce inflammation, and that is good, however, I thought prostaglandins were bad for acne. And flax can make your estrogen different and that can be a bad thing, is that due to the lignans that have 6 in it?
Please only PM me if it's something that cannot be talked about on the thread or is highly personal. This way, everyone benefits.

#3 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:01 PM

emmanuel,
LOL, apparently you didn't catch my revelation about this last night, huh. Well it turns out that there are good (anti-inflammatory) and bad (inflammatory) prostaglandins. These are mentioned in Leo's "Last Acne...." book as the body's hormone regulators. So he tells us to consume fish oil in order to boost our good (PGE1) prostaglandins.

However, I've also heard that GLA was a good fatty acid to consume and so naturally assumed that it was because it was an omega 3, but it is an omega 6. It has anti-androgenic properties (don't want to say the D word), PLUS thanks to Blackbird & Evigrex, I learned that it inhibits the production of the bad (PGE2) prostaglandins because it's a Series 3 Prostaglandin.

c)Non-stimulating thermogenics. GLA. In order to explain a bit how GLA works, I will briefly explain what prostaglandins are.

Series 1 Prostaglandins = Good(PgF2A)( Anabolic) They are incredibly thermogenic and help build muscle.

Series 2 Prostaglandins = Bad(PgE2)(Catabolic) They break down protein.

*Series 1 and 2 produced by your cells always at a 1:1 ratio.

Series 3 Prostaglandins block the production of series 2.

Series 1 and 2 Prostaglandins are made from the essential fatty acid Linoleic Acid.
Linoleic Acid = Omega-6 Fatty Acid .

Linolenic Acid(Alpha-linolenic acid) is an Omega-3 fatty Acid Series 3 Prostaglandins are derived from this acid.

GLA = Omega-6 Fatty Acid (Gamma-Linolenic Acid) This BLOCKS series 2 Prostaglandins.

By Blocking series 2 prostaglandins, GLA shifts the normal 1:1 Prostaglandin ratio to the PgF2A(Anabolic) side. In essence, promoting thermogenesis. As can be shown in my study of GLA. Its anabolic effects were not measured(As this is also a direct consequence of a positive PgF2A environment) .
(posted by Evigrex)

http://www.hempola.c...taglandins.html (nice little chart)

So this is probably why we hear about Fish Oils & GLA (Pumpkin, Borage, Black Current, Hemp, Evening Primrose Oil) being effective for Acne, Arthritis, and even Menstural Pains...reduces infllammation!

However, there are Omega 6s that are supposed to boost inflammatory PGE2s such as Corn, Soybean Oil, and Cottonseed oil (currently test avoiding this one). Since flax is also both an Omega 3 & 6, that's another confusing one. Flax Seed oil can break some people out, but not others..ok (same goes for EPO). I've consumed flax in an Omega Complexes (3-6-9) with no problems though, but they still had more Omega 3s. So maybe the form of Omega 6 or the ratio matters.

Now as for Flax Seed Lignans, it is estrogenic enough to act as estrogen, but at the same time it also has the ability to bind to SHBG instead of Free Testosterone. In other words, that means there will still be more Free Testosterone in our blood streams that can turn into DHT. Now males may appreciate this fact as they won't become estrogen dominant, but being a woman that doesn't have enough estrogen to fully override her higher than normal levels of testosterone, I don't think I want to chance it.

Have you tried Flax seed or Flax Lignans?
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002
* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):
* 1/18/08 Ultimate Colon Cleanse (30 day program)

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#4 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:48 PM

I did miss your revelation. Jade. tongue.gif

I still don't fully undersatnd the prostglandins. I would think the #1's can be bad since they seem like cortisols or androgens, since they build muscle, they would seem to be male hormone-like. Keep in mind, I am very ignorant when it comes to hormones and such.

I was taking flax capsules and everything was fine. Then, I quit smoking and it sent my hormones out of whack, so you and I decided I should switch to fish oil just to be on the safe side, which I did just two days ago. I got my period a week early! bb_icon_eek.gif I knew my hormones were screwy from not smoking.

#5 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:58 PM

LOL, please do not become the poster child for THAT ;-)

OK so this is what we know about prostaglandins:

Series 1 (PGE1) - Ant-iinflammatory, builds muscles. Types: Omega 3

Series 2 (PGE2) - Inflammatory, breaks down proteins (in this case muscle)
Arachiadonic Acid (Omega 6)

Series 3 (PGE3 ?) - Blocks the Inflammatory effects of PGE2s. Types: GLA (Omega 6)

Perhaps this will help us some:
There’s a class of “hormones� called prostaglandins in the human body. Certain prostaglandins are beneficial for health and disease prevention, while others are essential to the body’s reaction to stress or injury.

Prostaglandins are derived from essential fatty acids. There are three classes, or series, of prostaglandins. The series 1 versions, particularly PGE1, have many beneficial effects for athletes. They appear to have anabolic effects, promote thermogenesis, increase sodium and water clearance by the kidneys and prevent blood clots. Series 2 prostaglandins have the opposite effects, as they seem to trigger the release of energy substrates by breaking down structural protein, causing salt and water retention and promoting the clotting of blood. Nature always maintains a balance. In a fight-or-flight situation your body reacts to ensure your short-term survival: Your blood pressure becomes elevated, the bleeding stops and the energy the body needs becomes available.

One interesting fact is that both series 1 and series 2 prostaglandins are derived from the same precursor, linoleic acid (omega-6 fatty acid), while series 3 prostaglandins are derived from linolenic acid (omega-3 fatty acid). The series 3 prostaglandins are important not for their actions but, rather, for their ability to decrease the rate at which series 2 prostaglandins are formed.

So series 1 prostaglandins promote performance, series 2 prostaglandins disrupt performance, and series 3 prostaglandins block the formation of series 2 prostaglandins. Obviously, you’d just want to buy series 1 and series 3 prostaglandins. How wonderful if it were that easy. Unfortunately, it’s not. You’ll probably get a direct-mail offer to purchase East German series 1 and series 3 prostaglandins sometime soon. Don’t believe it.

Prostaglandins are not true hormones. They’re paracrine hormones or in some cases autocrine hormones, which means they’re only active in or near the cell where they’re generated. True hormones float all through the body to reach distant target organs or tissues. The downside to the local-action-only feature is that prostaglandins aren’t orally bioavailable—unless you take them in huge amounts—and can only be administered intravenously. The upside is that you can take the precursors—the essential fatty acids—and give your body the building blocks to form prostaglandins naturally and legally.

Essential fatty acids have specific chemical structures, including fragile double bonds that are easily disturbed by heat, pressure and even light. Oils that contain essential fatty acids are basically liquid fatty acids and must be protected from heat, pressure and light throughout the pressing, packaging and shipping processes. What’s more, manufacturers must remove any extra oxygen from the processing lines and from inside the bottle, which is usually done by flushing the lines and bottle with nitrogen gas. To that end, gelcaps are less air sensitive and may have more stability.

Many of us have used flaxseed oil or evening primrose oil for fat supplementation. Flaxseed provides a high concentration of omega-3 fatty acids, while evening primrose is a good source of GLA. Although they’re fine for correcting a deficiency or imbalance of omega-3 or omega-6, respectively, they’re not appropriate for long-term fatty acid supplementation. That’s a major point, and the reason is simple: Nature created a balance for a reason, and you should maintain it. Over the long term you should take in dietary fatty acids in a ratio that supports nature’s balance, and the product that will do that is hemp seed oil.

Erasmus has made the following statements regarding hemp oil: “Hemp oil is well-balanced, with omega-3 and omega-6 in a good ratio and contains gamma linolenic acid as well. Hemp seed oil can be used over the long term to maintain a healthy EFA balance without leading to either EFA deficiency or imbalance.… Hemp seed oil contains omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids in an ideal long-term ratio of 3-to-1.�
http://www.tsrf.com/...e_essential.htm

Hmm, so it appears that PGE1 helps build muscle because it helps utilize available protein, where as PGE2, breaks down protein, thus loss of muscle mass (???). If so, then know wonder that despite the extra testosterone, I've had trouble buidling certain muscles over others. Supposedly we get 20x or more Omega 6 (good and bad) than we do Omega 3, so maybe that's why I can't build as much muscle. Also, based on what the blood drawers would say when they tried to keep needles in me for a few hours so they wouldn't have to restick me (didn't work too well) I'm also a fast clotter. Not to mention, my hair tends to run dry, my mid - lower body is also dry. It's like there's two versions of me. My lips also run a bit dry which is why I end up paying nice bucks for a good natural lip balms & body butters. I am sooo "spoiled," LOL.

So, considering how my diet helped eliminate the majority of my acne and menstural pains, but hasn't corrected those other concerns, I think that I also have a PGE1/PGE3 fatty acid deficiency. I just bought some Source Naturals Neptune Krill Oil, but it only has the Omega 3s, maybe I should get some hemp too. Say, what brand of fish oil did you get and how much are you taking?

Bye for now
These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):
* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)
* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)
* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:
* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).
* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

#6 frances

frances

This isn't Kansas, Toto

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:19 AM

Hemp oil also has a 5% content of Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), which has a strong anti-inflammatory effect, and is effective in reducing symptoms of PMT, eczema, and acne,

5% doesn't seem like that much.

#7 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:25 AM

That did explain it much better.

My concern is how the hell do I know I have a completely even ratio? That is very precise, and well, I am no scientist, in case you hadn't noticed. I can control the ratio by the oils, but that still doesn't take into account the foods I eat. There is no feasible way to measure how much of each I consume.

It is Nature's Way, Fisol fish oil. They are enteric coated sofgels. 30%EPA & 20% DHA. They dissolve in the small intestine.

Here is a link:
http://www.evitamins...ct.asp?pid=1787

#8 shriek

shriek

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:23 AM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Sep 9 2004, 12:12 AM)
Hemp oil also has a 5% content of Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), which has a strong anti-inflammatory effect, and is effective in reducing symptoms of PMT, eczema, and acne,
Here is a link:

Evening promise oil:10% GLA
borage oil 25%+ GLA
flaxseed oil 20%+ GLA

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:36 AM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Sep 9 2004, 01:12 AM)
That did explain it much better.

My concern is how the hell do I know I have a completely even ratio? That is very precise, and well, I am no scientist, in case you hadn't noticed. I can control the ratio by the oils, but that still doesn't take into account the foods I eat. There is no feasible way to measure how much of each I consume.

It is Nature's Way, Fisol fish oil. They are enteric coated sofgels. 30%EPA & 20% DHA. They dissolve in the small intestine.

Here is a link:

ooh, that fish oil does look really cool (and sounds cool..Fisol). Plus, something I noticed was that it's in only 1/2 g of fat where as I've usually seen similar amounts of EPA & DHA in 1g - 3.5g servings! Also,l from what I've noticed around here, people take 1 - 3 grams max of fish oil. I don't know if they are referring to the fats or the EPA/DHA, but there was a woman that was taking 3 g or maybe more and eventually realized that at higher supplemental doses it depletes niacin and causes you some "issues". It can make you think straight or it can make you think... bb_eusa_shifty.gif

http://www.bodybuild.../store/efa.html
http://www.mercola.c...aq/carlsons.htm
http://www.crazymeds.org/omega3.html

Otherwise I guess you can take a look at what foods would supply you omeg 6 and what would supply you omega 3. Supposedly we get way more omega 6 naturally than we do omega 3 but I analyzing your diet and perhaps even your skin & hair texture may also help you figure it out.

Take care =)

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#10 KT

KT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 08:21 AM

Hi

I've read through this post and tried to understand it but it's all a bit confusing for someone like me who's completely new to all this terminology! All I know is that I tried the supplements suggested in that Acne book that someone on these boards provided a link to - do you know the one I mean? - and started breaking out like crazy. It was a combination of fish oils, evening primrose oil and flax oil.

Could you possibly boil this down for me and suggest what I should be taking? Sorry to be stupid, but I don't really understand everything that you 2 have been talking about on this board!! Maybe for us females flax oil is bad idea?... Is that right? What do you think would be a good combination of oils to try??

Thanks in advance!
Katie

#11 KT

KT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2004 - 08:24 AM

PS I'm convinced that my acne is completely hormone-regulated as it's not caused by oily skin - I have very dry skin, am 30 and have my worst breakouts around my period

#12 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:19 PM

I'm really loving this thread... there is so much fantastic information here!
I was taking hemp oil which really helped my acne and dry lips a few years back. I stopped taking it, because it stopped working as well (although other factors could have been involved) but I was told my a naturopath friend that taking too much hemp oil increased negative prostaglandins in the blood. Now that I understand more about prostaglandins, I am no longer worried about it, and am planning on getting some hemp oil to take with the krill oil as well.

Emma... I know this is off topic but I wanted to tell you I broke down and started the pill again last night. New acne started coming up every day, and I couldn't handle it. I guess the emotional sensitivity is a price I have to pay to be rid of this stinkin acne (side effect of the pill)!! sad.gif I don't have the patience to keep on the natural road as I continue to break out. I will have to do both natural and unnatural for now, I guess. bb_neutral.gif

#13 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 September 2004 - 11:50 PM

I think you did the right thing.

My skin looks better. I am still bleeding heavily on day 5, and I don't usually really bleed at all. bb_eusa_think.gif bb_eusa_sick.gif

#14 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Sep 11 2004, 11:37 PM)
I think you did the right thing.

My skin looks better. I am still bleeding heavily on day 5, and I don't usually really bleed at all. bb_eusa_think.gif bb_eusa_sick.gif

Freakin hormones!!! mad.gif You should be getting back to a balanced hormonal cycle by next month... I hope. smile.gif
Thanks for confirming that I did the right thing. I guess the pros for being on the pill for me outweigh the cons.

#15 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:46 AM

Ha, I couldn't understand why I was so easily able to cry when before that would never happen. I realized that those 3 years on BC, I slowly became more emotional to the point of near depression (granted my acne worsening didn't help)..ick, not going back on those again.

KT,
Sorry if the lingo is confusing, but this is something new for me too. I've heard from various acne sufferers that EPO (evening primerose oil) and Flax seed oil broke them out, but I've also heard it worked wonders for others (and those that never had acne). This is why I was never in a hurry to take them. However, when I tried NSI Complete EFA it had Flax seed oil, Borage Oil, and Fish Oil and I never broke out. Granted at that particular time I was also on Spiro, Avandia, and my Gluten Free diet. After I stopped that meds, I also tried the supps again, and I can't recall breaking out. Yet if you are concerned, then Flax Seed Oil and Flax Seed Lignans have the highest lignan (estrogenic, anti-estrogenic...LOL) content of all grains, seeds, etc or it could have been due to the product being contaminated/impure in some way. Eitherway, you may have better luck, if you want to consume this, with it being in a balanced formula.

As for your dry skin, you are in the right thread. There's Fish Oils you could try and there's this new product out called Neptune Krill Oil. http://www.acne.org/...=0 There's also the wonders of Hemp ;-) Also, if you can tolerate eating nuts & seeds there's good EFAs in those too. As for the GLA this is what I was able to gather:

J Formos Med Assoc. 1994 Sep;93(9):741-51.  Related Articles, Links 

Androgen action: molecular mechanism and medical application.

Liao S.

Ben May Institute, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA.

Androgen action in many organs, such as prostate and skin, is dependent on the conversion of testosterone by 5 alpha-reductase to 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone. 5 alpha-Dihydrotestosterone then binds to the androgen receptor to regulate specific gene expression. Inhibitors of 5 alpha-reductase are useful for the selective treatment of prostatic cancer, benign prostate hyperplasia, acne, baldness and female hirsutism, without affecting spermatogenesis, sexual behavior and smooth muscle growth, that do not require the conversion of testosterone to 5 alpha-dihydrotestosterone. Certain unsaturated fatty acids, such as gamma-linolenic acid, are potent 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors, suggesting a linkage between unsaturated fatty acids and androgen action. Mutations in androgen receptor genes are responsible for many cases of androgen-insensitivity. In some prostate cancer cells, some antiandrogens may act like androgens in stimulating the proliferation of the cancer cells because these antiandrogens can bind to a mutated androgen receptor and transactivate target genes. Prostate cancers are usually androgen-dependent initially but can lose dependency and responsiveness. Tumor cells which are resistant to endocrine therapy ultimately proliferate. Androgen-independent or androgen-repressive cells can arise from androgen-sensitive prostate cancer cells by changes in specific gene expression over time in a clonal isolate. This change in androgen responsiveness was accompanied by a change in androgen receptor expression and transcriptional activity as well as expression of some oncogenes.
http://www.ncbi.nlm....st_uids=7735002

J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2002 Nov;82(4-5):393-400.  Related Articles, Links 

5 alpha-reductase-catalyzed conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone is increased in prostatic adenocarcinoma cells: suppression by 15-lipoxygenase metabolites of gamma-linolenic and eicosapentaenoic acids.

Pham H, Ziboh VA.

Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, University of California at Davis, TB-192, One Shields Avenue, 95616, USA.

Although the androgens, testosterone (T) and its highly active metabolite dihydrotestosterone (DHT) play a role in the development and progression of prostate cancer, the mechanism(s) are unclear. Furthermore, 5 alpha-reductase which catalyze the conversion of T to DHT, has been a target of manipulation in the treatment of prostatic cancer, hence synthetic 5 alpha-reductase activity inhibitors have shown therapeutic promise. To demonstrate that nutrients derived from dietary sources can exert similar therapeutic promise, this study was designed using benign hyperplastic cells (BHC) and malignant tumorigenic cells (MTC) derived from Lobund-Wistar (L-W) rat model of prostatic adenocarcinoma to test the effects of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and their 15-lipoxygenase metabolites on cellular 5 alpha-reductase activity. Our data revealed: (i) that incubation of MTC with [3H]-T resulted in marked conversion to [3H]-DHT when compared to similar incubation with BHC; (ii) that DHT-enhanced activity of 5 alpha-reductase was inhibited 80% by 15S-hydroxyeicosatrienoic acid, the 15-lipoxygenase metabolite of GLA, when compared to 55% by 15S-hydroxyeicosapentaenoic acid, the 15-lipoxygenase metabolite of EPA; and (iii) that their precursor fatty acids, respectively, exerted moderate inhibition. Taken together, the study underscores the biological importance of 15-lipoxygenase metabolites of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) in androgen metabolism.  http://www.ncbi.nlm....t_uids=12589947

So based on the above, if you want their anti-inflammatory actions and GLA and EPA for their and antiandrogenic properties, that's usually when one looks for a Omega 3:6 or Complete EFA formula.

Thanks to a few members on this board, best sources of GLA are:

Borage oil 25%+ (some don't consider it a clean oil)

Flaxseed oil 20%+ GLA (???), 55% ALA

Evening promise oil: 10% GLA

Black Current Seed Oil 14% - 18% GLA , 13% ALA

Pumkin Seed Oil -- ?

Hemp Oil - 5% GLA, 19% ALA

Fatty Acid Food Chart
http://curezone.com/...fatspercent.asp

*ALA or LNA = Alpha-linolenic Acid, converts into GLA
*LA = Linoleic Acid, converts into GLA

http://www.osel.co.n...lawithphoto.htm

the body has a limited ability to manufacture both EPA and DHA from ALA (only about 10% is converted), and even this is lessened if the diet is too high in omega-6 fatty acids, because they compete with omega 3's for certain enzymes as they are metabolized.
http://www.consumerl...ts/flaxseed.asp
So I guess this is another push for preformed from fish oils.

Take care

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#16 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 September 2004 - 01:59 PM

QUOTE (SweetJade1980 @ Sep 12 2004, 02:33 AM)
Ha, I couldn't understand why I was so easily able to cry when before that would never happen. I realized that those 3 years on BC, I slowly became more emotional to the point of near depression (granted my acne worsening didn't help)..ick, not going back on those again.

OMG it's the worst!! That's what happened to me, I would cry even at the most minor thing when in the past I was always the dried eyed woman in the house when others would bawl their heads off at sad movies. For the six months I was on the pill, I had more depression than ever!
But... I've been on the pill now again for, this will be my third day, and I haven't had any new breakouts since the day after I started it back up. Coming off the pill made my face a nightmare.
I really wish there was another way for me. I am going to continue to research.

#17 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:19 PM

Yeah definately keep researching. Isn't it a shame though that for every cure there's some sort of trade off? Loss of libido for males, depression for females, etc

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

#18 Guest_Scorpioness_*

Guest_Scorpioness_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 12 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (SweetJade1980 @ Sep 12 2004, 02:06 PM)
Yeah definately keep researching. Isn't it a shame though that for every cure there's some sort of trade off? Loss of libido for males, depression for females, etc

SweetJade...
It seems that everything comes at a price... for every blessing there is an equal curse and vise verse. That's why you see people on like thirteen different medications in older age. They end up in that vicious circle, where taking medication for a heart condition can have a side effect in a kidney condition, so they take a medication for the kidney condition which results in a blood condition, so they take a prescription for a blood condition which ends up in a blood pressure condition and so on and so forth. It is sooooo sad!! sad.gif That's why I can't say, "Well, I am depressed all the time while I am on the pill, so perhaps I'll get on some zoloft to help with my depression," because then, what's next? These medications just mess up our bodies. But really when you have tried everything natural.... a wheat free, gluten free, processed foods free, heated oils free diet in different combinations with different supplements and research your ass off for ten years and nothing helps BUT the pill with the spiro, then what? Grrrrr, I'm just venting but I know you understand. Thanks for listening. smile.gif

#19 KT

KT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:17 AM

SweetJade: thanks so much for all the info - really nice of you to write me so much! Am going to experiment with the oil you said that you took - if I can get it in the UK - and I'll keep you posted

#20 roon

roon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:37 AM

I found that an Omega Complex helps to balance all three(3,6,9)