Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Claravis Log - 30 Year Old Female

86 posts in this topic

Day 21

My face was matte all day!!! The one zit next to my mouth multiplied into 3, but they are all very small. I also have one next to my left eyebrow, but overall my skin looks okay. The rash patch on my stomach has gotten a little bigger. It still doesn't itch and cortizone doesn't seem to affect it... I'm alternating between the Olay mositurizer and Paula's Choice Hydralight for the daytime to figure out which one works best for me. I don't like the Olay, but it has sunscreen so I can use less primer. I like the Hydralight better, but then I have to use the sunscreen amount of my primer... I'll keep weighing it out.

Hi Mamato3,

It looks like your response popped up while I was typing my last entry. I do take supplements; they are listed in my signature now. I also love that my makeup looks good all day now!

Current Regimen: Solodyn, BeYaz, Atralin, Aczone

1 course of Accutane completed March 2012

I'm sorry where is your signature? I'm never on the full site I always come on on my phone.

Day 27

Still making good progress. I have a couple of small pimples, one on each cheek and that's all! I have a little peeling on my chin/mouth area, but nothing bad. The rash spot on my stomach is angrier. I've been putting cortisone on it, but it doesn't help. I see my derm this Friday so I'll ask her about it then. My face has stayed dry, which I am loving right now! I've been able to keep my eyes, hands and lips under control with Systane eyedrops, diligent hand lotioning and Aquaphor/Smashbox limitless lip gloss SPF 15/Clinique Superbalm, respectively.

For Mamato3:

Month 1: 40mg Claravis once a day

My log: http://www.acne.org/...ear-old-female/

My Regimen:

Skincare:

AM: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, Olay Complete Sensitive SPF 15, Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer, Make Up For Ever HD Foundation & Concealer

PM: Boots Sensitive cleansing and toning wipes, CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, CeraVe PM moisturizer

Supplements:

GNC Big 50 B complex, Triple Fish Oil, Cranberry Extract, probiotics, Cal/Mag/D3

Zarah (generic Yasmin) for BC

Hi Jesoli!

Just found your log and was interesting to see how you are doing! The same as you, I also experiened some headached for the first days and very often I feel like my nose is stuffed, feeling cold like.. But yes, it is probably from lower immune system while on Accutane. My side effects: sometimes light rash on hands that goes away fast, hair thinning and some hair loss, facial hair growth :(

I was looking over what products you use and wonder how is Make Up For Ever HD Foundation? I just got a sample from Sephora and will see if it doesnt break me out, and if its full cover..? I am using Revlon Colorstay so far (for years) and the cover is amazing for acne type skin :)

I was also using Philosophy 1 step Cleanser but it broke me out so badly, I had so many cysts that stopped about 2 weeks after returning this cleanser to Sephora.

I wanted to ask you about Cranberry Extract, probiotics, that you are using.. What are they for, do they help you?

Melinda.

~ Accutane Roche - Aug. 7, 2011 ~

29 y/o, 50 kg (acne from age 17)

-------------------------------------------------------

Month 1 - 50mg - Mild-severe acne, cysts, lots of bumps on forehead from BCP on forehead

Month 2 - 50mg - Horrible IB for few weeks, many new cysts, rash on hands, thinning hair

Month 3 - 50mg - 50 % clear, lots of bumps, thinning hair, facial hair, some back pain

Month 4 - 50mg - 90-95 % clear, lots of red marks, rash on hands, hair thinning/loss

Month 5 - 50mg - 98% clear, still hair loss, back pain, mood swings, rash/eczema on hands

Monh 6 - 50 mg - 99.7% clear, few bumps on neck, very dry lips, hair loss, bad eczema on hands

Month 7 - FINISHED - 99% clear,no more dry lips but fighting some acne scars

Month 8 - My hairloss and hair thinning stopped, my skin is still clear and dry/normal

------------------------------

Morning Cleanser - Alba Botanica Sea Lettuce Cleansing Milk or Proactiv Make-up Removal Wipes

Make-up Remover: Ponds Cold Cream, then Proactive Make-up Removal Wipes

Moisturizer: Wichy cream or Thalgo serum

Make-up: Revlon Colorstay (or LM before)

Hair treatment:Coconut Oil, Biotin, LUSH hair masks for moisture

Mask: Fresh Oatmeal (ground) & Raw Honey & Bio Yogurt mix, LUSH fresh handmade masks

Day 29

Awesome new side effect: my scalp is becoming more dry. I haven't shampooed in 2 days and my hair still looks great! I have been washing it with conditioner, a trick I learned as a tip for girls with curly hair (mine is straight). It keeps the hair and scalp clean without drying it out and minimizes frizz. Everything else is the same!

Melinda - I love the Make Up For Ever HD foundation. It's great for me and shouldn't cause you any problems. It is supposed to be noncomedogenic & suitable for sensitive skin. I never would have tried it otherwise. You can make it full coverage by using more. I use one pump for my whole face, then use their concealer for the problem areas. The concealer is also highly pigmented, like the foundation, so you don't need much. It is the most skinlike makeup I've ever used, and I have tried tons of different ones! I'd stay away from Philosophy cleansers and stick with something like Cetaphil or CeraVe if I were you. I take the probiotics for gut health & the cranberry for urinary tract health (it was in my multi-vitamin I used to take before Claravis, so I decided to just take it). Most of us on accutane have done long courses of antibiotics, so probiotics are a great idea to balance things back out. I have the stuffy nose thing too & have been taking claritin every day lately for that; it helps me.

Hi Jesoli,

I am also using Make Up Forever concealer, I think its the best, using for many years. Now will see how foundation works :)

I broke out from Philosophy Cleanser really badly (all parabens, sulfates, etc) and now using Ponds to remove make up.. Cetaphil does not remove my make up so I use it only in the morning, works well for that reason.

I know I used Probiotics in Europe, doctors tell you to use it together with antibiotics but I have been going to doctors in Canada, noone tells me about it and I have forgot what and how it works. Do I need prescription for that?

My nose is also stuffy everyday, people around me think Im sick all the time. But I am affraid to use so many vitamins, and other pills together with Accutane...

Month 1 - 50mg - Mild-severe acne, cysts, lots of bumps on forehead from BCP on forehead

Month 2 - 50mg - Horrible IB for few weeks, many new cysts, rash on hands, thinning hair

Month 3 - 50mg - 50 % clear, lots of bumps, thinning hair, facial hair, some back pain

Month 4 - 50mg - 90-95 % clear, lots of red marks, rash on hands, hair thinning/loss

Month 5 - 50mg - 98% clear, still hair loss, back pain, mood swings, rash/eczema on hands

Monh 6 - 50 mg - 99.7% clear, few bumps on neck, very dry lips, hair loss, bad eczema on hands

Month 8 - My hairloss and hair thinning stopped, my skin is still clear and dry/normal

Morning Cleanser - Alba Botanica Sea Lettuce Cleansing Milk or Proactiv Make-up Removal Wipes

Mask: Fresh Oatmeal (ground) & Raw Honey & Bio Yogurt mix, LUSH fresh handmade masks

Yeah, Cetaphil is no good for makeup removal. I use makeup removing wipes, then wash my face with CeraVe at night because it isn't very good at removing makeup on its own either. You don't need a prescription for probiotics; I buy them at GNC. Have you thought about taking Claritin (or some other allergy medicine) for your stuffy nose? It's working well for me so far. My derm said that taking vitamins is fine, I just wouldn't take a multivitamin because it has vitamin A and you shouldn't take that with it. That's why I bought a few separate vitamins to take while I'm on this stuff.

Let me know how you like the foundation! I didn't like it the first day I used it because it will attach to dead skin if you are peeling at all (I needed a heavier moisturizer - Claravis adjustment). Also, after you put it on and get it as blended as you can, wait about 5-10 minutes to judge it because it looks way better after it sets completely. I like to blend it with my fingers, then lightly with a liquid foundation brush (I don't have makeup sponges) to get rid of any lines from finger blending. I can't say enough about how much I love this foundation because it looks so much more natural than anything else I've ever used.

Day 31:

Had my derm appt today and everything is good. She was really impressed with how my skin looks :) She's keeping me on the 40mg dose for now because I only weigh 100 lbs. She also prescribed me Vanos cream for the eczema on my stomach. Apparently I am not moisturizing that area well enough, so I'll be better about that & use the cream and hopefully my little "rash patch" (as I was calling it) should go away. I did not have the liver panel done today. My derm says she doesn't check that until week 6, but the orders are in & I will go to the lab in 2 weeks for that. How often are all of you having them checked? I'm not worried or anything, I just wonder how much variance there is in this part of the accutane protocol.

Hi,

What is liver panel? is it something different from regular monthly blood tests? I am on week 11 but never heard of liver panel test. Who is doing that - your dermatologist? Could you explain little, please?

Sorry. The liver panel is one of the blood tests and it checks to make sure that your liver is not being damaged. Yes, my derm ordered the test. For me, I do the urine pregnancy test at the derm office to get my prescriptions, but will get the liver blood tests done in a lab at one of the hospitals.

Day 31:

Had my derm appt today and everything is good. She was really impressed with how my skin looks smile.png She's keeping me on the 40mg dose for now because I only weigh 100 lbs. She also prescribed me Vanos cream for the eczema on my stomach. Apparently I am not moisturizing that area well enough, so I'll be better about that & use the cream and hopefully my little "rash patch" (as I was calling it) should go away. I did not have the liver panel done today. My derm says she doesn't check that until week 6, but the orders are in & I will go to the lab in 2 weeks for that. How often are all of you having them checked? I'm not worried or anything, I just wonder how much variance there is in this part of the accutane protocol.

I think the norm is once a month. Since you are on a lower dose there is less risk that something could be wrong, so that's probably why you're waiting for 6 weeks instead of 30 days.

So, I have to skip my dose today. I got some minor food poisoning yesterday (think door number 2 only) and woke up at midnight with some, ahem, issues. I had taken a benadryl and melatonin before bed (didn't know I had food poisoning at the time and wanted some help falling asleep), so when I woke up at midnight and went to the bathroom, I fainted when I finished my business, probably because I stood up too quickly & was loopy from taking the benadryl and melatonin. Thankfully, I didn't hit my head. I'm guessing when I fell, my hip hit the toilet paper holder and broke my fall. I was really dizzy trying to get back to my bed, then I was sweating profusely for a few minutes & felt better after that. I'm sure it wasn't the claravis, but I called the derm office to tell them what happened and was told to skip today's dose to let whatever upset my GI tract to work its way out. I would be embarrassed if it wasn't so damn funny! My hip feels like a horse kicked me in the ass! I also scraped my shoulder, but it's minor. I had never taken benadryl and melatonin together before and never will again. I took the melatonin first to help with sleep, but my nose was stuffy so I decided to take a benadryl for that, not really thinking about how it would interact because my husband has taken them together before without any issues.

Ouch sorry to hear about your night, that really sucks. Hope your hip feels better! I'm fairly sure I get my liver checked every 4 weeks, along with my regular bloodwork, but I guess every doctor can do it differently if he sees fit? & I also have a rash, except it's like eczema on my lower arms and just a red sandpapery rash up the rest of my arms around the backs of my shoulders. It's not too annoying but if I get lazy with the lotion it gets noticeably worse, so keep on top of it! I can't get mine to go away! :( Good luck! :)

Kasey, 19, Female

Claravis Start Date: August 18th 2011

Month 1: 20mg/day

Month 2: 80mg/day

Month 3: 80mg/day

Month 4: 80mg/day

Month 5: 80mg/day

Month 6: 80mg/day

http://www.acne.org/...y-claravis-log/

^ My log!

My hip is feeling better already :) I'm pretty good about moisturizing now and the eczema on my stomach is almost gone. Do you have a prescription for your arms to help that clear up?

Dang I got food poisoning about a week ago too and I had the same symptoms. Had to go no 2 really bad then felt super cold and wanted to vomit. I had to lie down on the bathroom floor for 10 minutes before I felt normal again. That's nuts you fainted but I'm glad your hip is doing better. Just another fun story to add on your journey to clear skin.

I'm sorry you had food poisoning too! I'm glad mine was mild, but the fainting scared me. By that morning I thought the story was so funny that I had to share it. I have felt just fine since then & I only skipped that 1 dose, so my skin has stayed on track. I have 2 small zits near my right ear, just below my hairline & 1 in my hairline, but that's it!

I think the honeymoon is over. I woke up with the beginning of a nodule on my chin. I can feel it deep in my skin, but it isn't visibly huge yet, though it is visible. My face is itchy. I don't know if that is just from the claravis, the dryness or if I'm about to break out (I normally get itchy before a breakout). We'll see... I was really enjoying the clear, matte skin :(

=( My face gets itchy when I'm super dry and same thing goes for my body so maybe it's just that. Thank goodness it's just one though!

So far it's still just the one, so that's good! By the way, I ordered some of the Cure Aqua Gel that you told me about; I can't wait to try it!

The nodule on my chin came to the surface much faster than they would in the past - think a couple of days instead of more than a week! I also sprouted a couple of smaller zits, but they are all flattening out faster than before Claravis. One annoying thing is that they all peel like crazy. By my lunch break, I need to remove the dead skin from the pimples & reapply my concealer so I don't look disgusting. If I don't remove it, it will fall off on its own, but I don't want to creep my coworkers or patients out by having dead skin hanging off of my face. Yuck! I've also noticed a change in the way my skin heals now. When I fainted a couple weeks ago, I also scraped my shoulder. The scrape actually got bigger over the few days following that & it can't seem to keep a scab; it just falls off. It's not infected or anything like that, it's just taking a long time to heal. Normally, it would be completely gone by now. Other than those things, most of the other side effects are less noticeable now.

My liver labs came back normal, so that's good. My face is clear at the moment and not really peeling much. I sprouted a couple of zits on my back, but that's it!

I had a migraine Monday night and another one today. It could just be because I'm having my woman times, but to be safe I'm skipping my Claravis dose tonight. I normally get a headache around this time of the month, but not usually 2 migraines. I feel so crappy I had to call in sick to work today.

Feel better! comfort.gif

I feel you on the headaches! I usually will get them by lack of caffeine. I mostly drink water all day, so if i don't have some kind of caffeinated beverage, chances are by the end of the day I will have a headache!

"IF I HAD A WORLD OF MY

OWN, EVERYTHING

WOULD BE NONSENSE.

NOTHING WOULD BE

WHAT IT IS, BECAUSE

EVERYTHING WOULD BE

WHAT IT ISN'T. AND

CONTRARY WISE, WHAT IS, IT WOULDN'T BE.

AND WHAT IT WOULDN'T BE,

IT WOULD. YOU SEE?" LC