Photo

Diet/health/acne Tips - Things That Are Good To Know

fats oils nutrients sugar glucose metabolism insulin garlic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

A place for little good to know things.

Because I just came across a good one:

Sniff Test to tell if Oil is Rancid
Check all commercial products made with oil for toxicity before you eat them by doing the “oil sniff test.” If the oil is rancid, it’ll smell similar to oil paint, which is actually oxidized linseed oil. If you get a hint of this odor in anything that has fat content, whether it’s nuts, whole-wheat flour or oils themselves, don’t eat it.

Rule of thumb about Antioxidants in plants
They are usually in the color and flavor. If it's brightly colored or has strong enough a flavor to be used as an herb, spice or tea or similar drink (cocoa/coffee), it's loaded with antioxidants. There are however some white or pale vegetables that are also loaded such as onions, garlic, cauliflower, cabbage and related veggies, and probably some fruit with pale flesh like some types of guava, Apples.

Add tons of herbs and spices to your foods! Drink teas!

Fat vs water soluble nutrients
Fat soluble nutrients are measured in International Units (I.U.) and should be consumed with some fats for absorption. Water soluble nutrients are measured in grams and should be consumed throughout the day as they will probably only remain in the body doing whatever they do for 3-4 hours at most.

Edited by alternativista, 27 February 2012 - 09:47 AM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#2 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

For a high GI/GL Cheat--How you partake in someone's birthday cake or other occasion:

Berfore:
Carry fiber supplements with you and take one before some cheat like someone's birthday cake or whatever you want to splurge on. Take with a glass of water ideally well before the food to give the capsule time to dissolve. The study I've seen on diabetics involve taking the supplement 30 minutes prior. You still want to have only a small piece though. All you are doing is slowing the absorption of the sugar, not stopping it.

You can also have some acetic acid (vinegar) like a spoonful of ACV in water or a salad with a vinaigrette. And if you can, have the high GI food after a meal.

After;
Do some brief intense physical activity to burn off glycogen stores so that your cells can take in more glucose. Stairs, sprints, squats, lifting some heavy stuff.

And of course, you should habitually consume plenty of the nutrients and keep lifestyle habits that help with blood sugar. And if you can, have the high GI food after a meal or at least a salad with a vinaigrette or other source of acid.

But:

Any time you consume more sugar than your cells will take in, damage will occur (glycation of tissues, triglytcerides, fatty liver, excessive insulin production, inflammation). Get moving to burn the stored energy so your cells will take in more sugar.

Edited by alternativista, 05 April 2012 - 10:06 AM.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

#3 FaceValues

FaceValues

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:10 PM

Would psyllium husk be an okay fiber supplement?

Instead of looking for the right person, become the right person.

If you treat your self/symptom with a lot more compassion, you'll find your skin heals much faster when it's not constantly in store for a thrashin'. Rather than blasting the sound of what you're currently treating your face with, the case may be you just need to change the station and re-evaluate you and your skin's relationship . It's easier than you think to relate with, because much like mainstream radio emotions always make for underrated yet relevant statements.

My website is in progress and will probably benefit you in some way.

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

A good Olive oil should state the percent acidity on the label.

Which is a measure of the amount damage the triglycerides have sustained during pressing and storage. Oil is composed of triglycerides, which can break apart to form free fatty acids, which is what they measure. Free fatty acids or “acidity” is given as a percentage of the total fatty acids. The lower the number, the fresher the oil.

Any bottle that has the “California Olive Oil Council” (COOC) seal on it has less than 0.5% acidity, which is very low. To be called “Extra Virgin” in the US, the oil must have 1% acidity or less.

Edited by alternativista, 01 April 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#5 Ukulala

Ukulala

Towtally Ossum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

One of the best antioxidant packed foods that I happen to be very fond of in smoothies is blueberries. :} When I worked on a blueberry farm, my skin was amazing (though there *were* other factors, but I have no doubt how many fresh, organic blueberries i ate contributed), my weight was perfect, and I felt AWESOME. It was pretty phenomenal.

Blend those babies up with some greens and have yourself a deliiiicous smoothie!

Also, thanks for the info, as always.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

Blue berries are awesome. But so are pretty much all the others.

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Lots of anti-oxidant/nutrient/healthy habit info:

These come from magazines that don't provide a lot of sources or details other than maybe a vague statement like 'a British study found that...' they are those cheap weekly magazines you see at the checkout stand: For Women First and women's world. If you see something that interests you, do your own research on it, or just eat the food/spice. they are good for you. Also, lots of them are fairly common knowledge. I'm paraphrasing and putting my own comments in italics.

Instant energy lift:
Indian technique called Anuloma Viloma or sun/moon breathing: Hold one nostril closed and inhale deeply (from the diaphram) through the other one for 3 seconds. Switch nostrils to exhale through the other one in a short burst. Alternate. This supposedly energizes both sides of the brain as well as increasing oxygen to the brain. Also, inhaling through the nostrils spreads nitric oxide throughout your body which relaxes blood vessels and lowers blood pressure.

Destressing Yoga pose that relaxes shoulders and spine- Extended Puppy pose: Get down on all fours and then walk your hands forward until your forehead touches the ground. Hold and breathe.

Capcaisin boosts metabolism up to 20% for up to 30 minutes.

Onions are loaded with chromium which helps with fat-storage hormones.

Allicin in garlic may prevent pre-fat cells from turning into fat cells.

Parsley and cilantro are loaded with antioxidants that researchers have linked to low body fat (they didn't say what)

The scent of cinnamon increases energy, alertness and focus,, releases frustration - use it as a wake up

The first sign of dehydration is fatigue.

Essential oils in mint offer antispasmodic properties that ease PMS cramps.

Sage revs brainpower - suppresses acetylcholinesterease, an enzyme that inhibits the brain's ability to process messages. Add a leaf to a cup of tea and steap for a few seconds

Inhaling scent of lavender boosts concentration.

scent of thyme increases feel-good neurotransmitters.

Lemongrass stimulates fat-flushing liver enzymes. Add a 1" piece to a cup of tea.

Oils in basil have powerful anti-microbial action.

L-theanine in green tea boosts alpha-waves by 38 percent and feel-good nerotransmitters by 87 percent. also boosts activity in occipital region that governs focus. And increases GABA which reduces sleep-disrupting beta brain waves. - Kyoto women's U in Japan.

It takes 12 hours for the liver to metabolize caffeine. Have your last high caffeine source before noon.

Lots of Vitamin C is needed to metabolize cigarette smoke (which probably applies to other pollutants. )

Your body needs more C when under stress and more C helps the body deal with stresses, helps adrenal function, etc. Is essential for making carnitine which has a role in burning fat for fuel. This is all actually common knowledge.

Omega 3s switch on uncoupling-protein -3 which increases thermogenesis - the rate at which calories are used to generate energy. Activate PPARS-receptors inside the cell nucleus that help lower blood sugar, decrease fat srotage and increase burning of fat (and PPARs might affect hyperkeratinization, one of the things I haven't gotten around to researching further.)

Epicatechin (in cocoa) boosts nitric oxide

cinnamaldehide prevents yeast overgrowth

flavanoids strenghen vein valves that direct blood flow - helps vericose veins.

Nutmeg boosts seratonin.

Ways to feel happier in a flash:
look at a tramquil scene - painting, picture, computer wallpaper, fish tank etc
Yawn - saturates the lungs air sacs and stimulates the parasympathetic nervous systme to release dopamine, seratonin, and GABA - feel good neuro-transmitters.
Inhale vanilla, apples
Stimulate nerves at hairline and behind ears by brushing your hair upside down.
Sing an inspirational tune - or hum which boosts nitric oxide.
Boosts oxytocin - help some one, get a hug, pet your pet
consume some selenium
Walk around the block - boosts beta waves
Get more light exposure
Dance
hold your head up - the brain uses body cues to gauge how you should feel and alters neurotransmitters.
consume some tryptophan to boost seratonin
Block out noises
Organize something
Capsaicin stimulates endorphins
go to be by eleven pm. If not earlier.
Laugh. Even forced laughter stimulates endorphins.
Magnesium

------------------
rapid thinking stimulates domamine - play a fast paced game, watch a familiar TV show in fast forward (from studies involving watching I Love Lucy)

The scent of peppermint reduces road rage - it both makes you feel calmer and more alert and focused.

Tyrosine - amino acid that ups levels of domamine and norepinephrine, yogurt, eggs are good sources

a little alcohol enhances some antioxidant activity in berries.

Fermented cheese is high in K2.

-----------
Exercise tips
1) do intervals, not prolonged cardio.
Crunches only engage teh outermost layer of mucle fibers in the upper abs. (and like I've been saying, are mostly wasted effort) Bicycling and leg lifts engage far more muscles.
2) Rule of thumb for the ladies and others just getting into weight training - choose a weight you can only lift 12 times without rest.

Magnesium inhibits histamine surges
Quercetin also blocks histamine release

Got to bed by 11 - 'sleeping during the pre-midnight hour is the key to revving your body's production of appetitie-controling hormones, infection-fighting immune cells and mood-boosting seratonin.' Tweak your bedtime gradually. It probably won't work to try to go to bed several hours earlier.

cocoa/cacao
lowers blood pressure and ldl cholesterol -by relaxing blood vessels, reducing inflammation and reducing liver's production of cholesterol.
sharpens memory and concentration (and energy) by opening up blood vessels improving blood flow.

cocoa contains theobromine and phenylethylamine, compounds that stimulate the brain to make more mood boosting dopamine and seratonin.

Dry brushing for the first 90 seconds before adding toothpaste reduces far more plaque and bacteria

Consuming calcium and magnesium together 30 minutes before bedtime helps most people fall asleep faster. Magnesium relaxes muscles as we all should know by now, but it says that calcium and magnesium work 'hand-in-hand to relax muscles and nerves and dial down stress hormones' so say UCLA researchers.

A couple or whole grain crackers and an ounce or two of cheese triggers a surge in seratonin in as little as 20 minutes. Perhaps you can find better alternatives..

That's it in the magazines i stole from a waiting room. I was sure there was more. Something about cloves which I know are loaded with antioxidants. you can taste them. Bite into one. They extremely spicy.

Looking at desert can make you eat more. It probably stimulates insulin release as well. Just thinking about food, and sweet flavors even in zero calorie sweeteners can stimulate insulin.

synthetic estrogens in BCP can increase feelings of jealousy. Which isn't good for stress

Edited by alternativista, 01 April 2012 - 02:04 PM.

#8 DaftFrost

DaftFrost

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Was wondering one thing. Could this be the reason why most acne sufferers are skinny and not fat?

Skinny people have faster metobolism meaning sugar is absorbed a lot faster and metabolized? so... people with slower metabolism absorb the sugar more slowly and turn them into body fat perhaps?

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Was wondering one thing. Could this be the reason why most acne sufferers are skinny and not fat?

Skinny people have faster metobolism meaning sugar is absorbed a lot faster and metabolized? so... people with slower metabolism absorb the sugar more slowly and turn them into body fat perhaps?

Most are not skinny. that comes up all the time here often in polls and the results are fairly 50/50. And I was not thin until I started to eat right.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

Here's the bit about the cloves. From deliciousliving magazine, a freebie handed out at many health food stores and such.

Cayenne - reduces excessive stomach acid production, improves blood vessel function improving blood pressure.

Cinnamon - improves insulin sensitivity and has other antioxidant and anti-microbial activity.

Cloves - 3x more antioxidants than the nearest competitor dried oregano. Combat oxidative stress in the brain and may block glycation the damage done by sugar floating around in your blood stream. Bite down on a clove to reduce tooth pain.

Ginger - boosts immunity and digestion. soothes nausea. Gingerols lessen arthritis pain and inflammation, supress pro-inflammatory compounds. Can lessen muscle soreness by as much as 25 percent.

Nutmeg - Seed of an apricot-like fruit. contains myristicin an oil with antioxidant and antibacterial properties that may suppress cancerous cells. Topical analgesic to reduce tooth pain.

Glycation - a process in which protein or fat molecules bond to simple sugar molecules creating advanced glycation end products (AGEs) which are implicated in aging, heart disease and diabetes. This is what happens when you consume more sugar than your cells need and will take in. the sugar keeps circulating around in your bloodstream doing damage until it gets back to the liver where it gets turned to triglycerides which raises your LDL especially the small particle LDL that damages arteries and excess triglycerides are stored in the liver causing fatty liver disease.

Edited by alternativista, 05 April 2012 - 10:20 AM.

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:19 AM

Citrus juices/Vitamin C may boost the amount antioxidant catechins you absorb from tea

Have your tea with lemon.

catechins are relatively unstable in non-acidic environments, such as the intestines, and less than 20 percent of the total remains after digestion.
"Off the bat you are eliminating a large majority of the catechins from plain green tea," Ferruzzi said. "We have to address this fact if we want to improve bodily absorption."
Ferruzzi tested juices, creamers and other additives that are either commonly added to fresh-brewed tea or used to make ready-to-drink tea products by putting them through a model simulating gastric and small-intestinal digestion. Citrus juice increased recovered catechin levels by more than five times, the study found. Ascorbic acid, or vitamin C, used to increase shelf life in ready-to-drink products, increased recovered levels of the two most abundant catechins by sixfold and 13-fold, respectively.

Lemons and tea go even better together than their popularity might suggest. Lemon juice caused 80 percent of tea's catechins to remain, the study found. Following lemon, in terms of stabilizing power, were orange, lime and grapefruit juices. Ferruzzi said both vitamin C and citrus juices must interact with catechins to prevent their degradation in the intestines, although data made it clear that citrus juices have stabilizing effects beyond what would be predicted solely based on their vitamin C content.

http://news.uns.purd...erruzziTea.html

Site listing benefits of various herbal teas: http://bristen.com/teasChart.htm

Edited by alternativista, 05 April 2012 - 10:31 AM.

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Perricone's recommendations for a cheat meal-- a bean fiber supplement before, a few nutrients after.

http://www.dailyperr...than-skin-deep/

As for your second question, before eating the pasta or pizza take the kidney bean extract as found in Natrol’s Carb Intercept® Capsules and a Pycnogenol capsule. After the meal, take the following supplements:
Alpha lipoic acid
Chromium Nicotinate
Omega 3 fish oil capsule