Photo

Man/woman Acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 stealth423

stealth423

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

It seems like adult male acne is very rare. I've read some posts here but I never see adult males (over 30) with active acne. My derm said I should be "growing out of it soon". Guess I'm one of the rare cases. Neither of my parents had any significant acne. I realize it must be tougher on women but this is getting old.
Male 28, moderate acne.

PS Accidenlty put Woman in lower case :)

#2 pugrocker

pugrocker

VAN HALEN ROCKS!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

Im a 40 yr old Male and I still suffer from the dreaded (as I call it) Devils Disease, known as AcnePosted Image . I didnt have it bad at all as a teen. I guess I really started to break out at around 27 and it has just gotten worse with age. Both my parents have it and they're in their mid 60's, so Im screwed for life with the Devils Disease. Not looking forward to my skin future, but thats life so Im just dealing with it as best as possible, but it does suck big time!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 legato

legato

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:36 AM

I'm a 29 male and still with active acne. Developed it in my teens and although I've had some 'milder months', it's never gone away. And still get major flare ups.
It's interesting that your derm says you'll still be growing out of it; I'm kind of giving up that I ever will. Neither of my parents had acne, hell actually nobody in my entire family has it as far as I know.
The only thing that has really worked 100% for me was doxycycline but it's only a temporary solution, although I have read about people on here who have been on it for years. But it's not common for doctors to allow that.

#4 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

i would stick to doxycycline if it works for you. its a mild antiobiotic. just take probiotics with it.

#5 pugrocker

pugrocker

VAN HALEN ROCKS!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I took doxy for 4 months and it worked great, but after stopping it, my acne came back even worse. My Derm told me you should take it for only 4 months and its not a long term cure, so Im just back to breakouts and dealing with it! Posted Image

#6 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:45 PM

oh thats sucks!! did you stay with topicals though?? its weird, cause ive heard some people stay on antibiotics for years...

#7 lie01234

lie01234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:32 PM

Well I'm 30 and I still have acne but its more mild now. Just one pimple every month or so. It was much worst 2 years ago.

#8 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

omg i wish i only had just one pimple a month...sigh....

#9 pugrocker

pugrocker

VAN HALEN ROCKS!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:19 PM

oh thats sucks!! did you stay with topicals though?? its weird, cause ive heard some people stay on antibiotics for years...

Yeah, I went back to using Erythromycin Gel which my Derm prescribed for me and it worked off and on. My Derm said its not good to use antibiotics for a long period of time cause it will mess your organs up and just like anything, after a long time, they will mostly stop working. Woke up today with a nice big ole under the skin painful ass pimple and those damn things hurt and stay forever.Posted Image

#10 Koobie

Koobie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

I'm 28 and I think I said to myself 5 years ago that this should be my last year of bad skin... but it persisted! My Mum had acne too and I used to hope mine was just a 'teen' thing but when I started following her in having adult acne.
I feel like I'd be a fraud for telling you what to do, because I still have acne! Everyone is different to. Some things work for some, and others not. Water is definitely a help. The more water the better. Your liver takes care of hormonal fluctations and the cleaner your system is the better. Water helps every organ, the skin inclusive. Make sure you drink water.. that's my tip.

#11 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

i dont know if driking water helps at all, but i drink a tank of water and it does not clear up my skin...

#12 pugrocker

pugrocker

VAN HALEN ROCKS!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

Having a nasty break out week. Man, this sucks to be this age and dealing with this crap. Its never been this bad before!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#13 cervantes86

cervantes86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

have you ever consider accutane? what have you tried in the past??

#14 pugrocker

pugrocker

VAN HALEN ROCKS!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

I thought about accutane, but I've read way too many negative stuff about it and since Im 40, Im not gonna mess with it. If I was younger I might have. I've tried Doxycycline and endless topicals. The 2 prescribed topicals I've tried are Erythromycin Gel and thats ok and the other is Clindamycin lotion which I think works a little better sometimes and of course, I 've tried every OTC medication. I know meds have side effects, but its to bad accutane has to have so many nasty ones that you can possibly get, but if it did'nt, I would try it in a heartbeat.