Photo

Question For Healthy Eaters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Poll: How often do cheat and eat cakes, snacks, candy, etc. (17 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do cheat and eat cakes, snacks, candy, etc.

1. Once a week (9 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

2. Twice a week (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. Once every two weeks (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

4. Once every 3 weeks (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Once every month (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 05:24 PM

I wanted to know if any of you healthy eaters have a cheat day. Say, like once a week or once every two weeks, etc. I use to diet a few years ago and would cheat once every two weeks. Since this March, I have eaten really really healthy. Today i went to whole foods and they always have so many fre samples out so i tryed like each one 10 times lol. And then i bought a few cookies and a fresh made piece of apple cake. Do you think its bad to just eat some treats once every two weeks?

#2 evigrex

evigrex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 06:39 PM

When i'm on a hardcore bulking diet, I eat clean everyday except saturday - and I spend that day eating whatever the heck I want....pizza, restaurant buffets, and anything else that may enter my field of vision. Eating clean so much will drive one insane, so I think one cheatday a week is mandatory... At least for me it is. Generally I eat 3grams per lb of bodyweight of "good" carbs, 1-1.5 grams of protein per lb of weight, and fat varies.

I don't have problems with diet-induced acne or weight gain, though...I use this when i'm hitting the gym pretty hard to achieve optimal body composition.

Cheating once in a while is not bad at all - because dieting for extended periods of time will lower the production of hormones that are responsible for libido, feelings of wellbeing and linear growth (for the younger folks here), and will cause a lowering of metabolism. A cheat day or meal every now and then may offset this.

#3 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

Hmm... I'd like to respond to that, but it's too broad based. Cheating with piece of candy is very different from cheating from a muffin. I may have a piece of candy once or twice every 2 months, but I dont cheat on my Gluten free diet.

On the other hand, since I'm now avoiding trans fats, it's a bit more difficult. I would have to say in regards to that, as it's effects are not very severe (just larger pores), I seem to be in some situation once every 2 weeks, where I am knowingly eating some =/

#4 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:49 PM

SweetJade, if you have a TV show, i'd watch it. I'll read your books if you opt to have one. Not a bad idea, eh? smile.gif

#5 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:23 AM

I'm on the SugarBuster regime for over three years. I really don't cheat. The low GI diet really got rid of my cravings for junk. I work in a restaurant, so there is plenty of crap to load up on. I did the diet for weight control not my skin. I do feel better; it did not help my skin, but diet has never been a trigger for me. I was on Pritikin for a few years in college and meatless. I was too skinny then. I just couldn't eat enough to maintain a healthy weight.The gluten free diet now that takes discipline. I don't think I could do unless I had Celiac disease. I can't believe how badly and how much some folks eat. I wouldn't have a job if they didn't though.

#6 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 September 2004 - 01:31 AM

I avoid trans fat, because of health reasons. That limits a lot!

I still eat dark chocolate, and I think it is good for you. It raises endorphins and serotonin, and it is actually an antioxidant. Jade, they have gluten free chocolate at Whole Foods. bb_wink.gif

I also eat Newman's own cookies, which do not have trans fat. There are other brands of cookies that don't contain trans fat, and you can find them at Whole Foods.

I think it all comes down to what you are limiting and why. I think you should treat yourself if you can. I mean, you want to live your life.

#7 SteveBrown

SteveBrown

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 02:47 AM

Absolutely never do I cheat. I don't even eat birthday cake. Good nutrition is the only health insurance I have. I'm 55, look an athletic 40, and I intend to stay young and healthy as long as humanly possible, and then some. Today I had an ounce of orange juice in a glass of seltzer. That's as sweet as it gets.

#8 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:55 AM

I never eat those things. I sometimes eat a pita chicken shoarma when I am pissed in the weekends tongue.gif Well I eat whole grain brown bread with peanut butter every morning, but I don't think peanut butter can do any harm.

edit: btw talking about being pissed; milkt thistle/dandelion/celandine tincture works so damn good for hangovers! it's incredible.

#9 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 07:01 AM

Whoa, jesus. You people are crazy! I thought I was eating healthy by only having one packet of chips and a few chocolate biscuits every day...

Well at least i've stopped having McDonalds 5 days a week...

#10 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 08:15 AM

Keats, I would switch over to almond butter if I was you. Peanuts are a mold crop. A Carcinogenic Mold. Do a google search "peanuts mold". Almonds are veyr good for you and the butter tastes great.

#11 sadcaroline

sadcaroline

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:21 AM

lumas- my nutritionist told me to go out once a week an have whatever dessert i wanted.. which shocked me. but he said that he has found if people have one good treat a week, they stay on the diet better. an one cheat thing a week he said wont hurt you.. it will help in the long run, hopefully keeping you on the diet.

#12 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE (Lumas @ Sep 9 2004, 08:02 AM)
Keats, I would switch over to almond butter if I was you. Peanuts are a mold crop. A Carcinogenic Mold. Do a google search "peanuts mold". Almonds are veyr good for you and the butter tastes great.

Or Sunflower Butter, Hazelnut Butter, Pistachio Butter, Cashew Butter...I'm sure there's a few others.

Say, do you eat Corn as that can also be a breeding ground for mycotoxins?

#13 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (emmanuel @ Sep 9 2004, 01:18 AM)
I avoid trans fat, because of health reasons. That limits a lot!

I still eat dark chocolate, and I think it is good for you. It raises endorphins and serotonin, and it is actually an antioxidant. Jade, they have gluten free chocolate at Whole Foods.  bb_wink.gif

I also eat Newman's own cookies, which do not have trans fat. There are other brands of cookies that don't contain trans fat, and you can find them at Whole Foods.

I think it all comes down to what you are limiting and why. I think you should treat yourself if you can. I mean, you want to live your life.

Ok, so thanks to YOU, nah JK, I went to to my local for some reason "shrinking to expand" Sun Harvest and bought:

This is my Splurge:
a Tropical Source (Dairy Free, TransFat Free, Gluten-Free) Dark Chocolate Rice Crisp Bar. - NEVER had one of these before.... ;-) The last time I had milk chocolate was Christmas and before that....many many years.

Nature's Path Berry Rice Bars - just finished one and even though I haven't had a rice crispy bar in a few years, I could do it better myself.

Pamela's (Dairy Free, TransFat Free, Gluten-Free) Chocolate Chip Cookies - She makes a good Shortbread, so so Peanutbutter (off limits now) and yummy Oatmeal Raisen (off limits now) - I haven't had GF cookies in 10 months.

(it will take me 2 - 4 weeks to finish the above unless my parents help)

Now, this is my regular Junk Food I bought
Lundberg's Honey Nut Rice Cakes - never tried this brand though, it's usually Quaker Oats Apple Cinnamon (the only flavored one with not too much junk or sugar)

Pumpkorn Pumpkin seeds - never tried this flavor

Henry's Jalepeno Potato Chips/Crisps - never tried this brand though, usually get Boulder, Kettle Chips, or Frito Lay's Natural Line (Poore Brothers was good but I'm avoiding Cottonseed Oil now).

Glaceau SmartWater - unsweetened, flavored vitamin water - Haven't had this in a long while. I thought they stopped making this. Glad they didn't ;-)
Stretch Island (Organic) Fruit Leathers - various flavors

Raisens

Fruit - apples, pears, cantaloupe

The cool part is, based on what I'm avoiding, none of it is cheating cool.gif

Update - Just split & shared ONE of Pamela's Chunky Chocolate Chip cookies with my parents and I've got a bit of tummy ache. That is one sweet cookie, despite it being only 16g of Carbs (9g of sugar). Despite them being much better tasting than Nestle's Toll House, it may take longer than 4 weeks to so maybe I'll just take them to work.

#14 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (paulandrei @ Sep 8 2004, 08:36 PM)
SweetJade, if you have a TV show, i'd watch it. I'll read your books if you opt to have one. Not a bad idea, eh? smile.gif

LOL, actually though I've always known what I've wanted to do. Perhaps one of these days it'll happen.

#15 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (SweetJade1980 @ Sep 9 2004, 04:43 PM)

Say, do you eat Corn as that can also be a breeding ground for mycotoxins?

Nope, no corn for me. Corn and peanuts are high mold crops. I also stay away from mushrooms too.

#16 Lumas

Lumas

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2004 - 06:40 AM

I decided I will have a cheat day every two weeks. I go shopping at whole foods market every two weeks and they have healthier versions of cakes, etc. So every two weeks, when i go, im going to buy maybe a healthier brownie ( maple syrup instead of sugar and wheat pastry flour, etc.) and maybe a cookie and a meal i normally wouldnt eat. I know that doesnt really sound like cheating, but it is to me. Also maybe once a week ill make my banana coconut ice cream. Just frozen banana blended or food processed or even run through my solostar juicer. And then fresh coconut meat run through my solostar juicer. Its too good.