Photo

IDK, my BFF Spiro?

chemical peel red mark makeup

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:04 AM

After creeping on this website for months, I've decided to come out of the woodwork and make my own log. I'm 10 days into my Spiro treatment and I want to track my progress, get advice/support, etc here! But first, the mandatory history/sob story...

I never really had bad skin in high school, just the occasional  teenage zit. I didn't even start wearing makeup until sophomore/junior year and that was only because I was trying to keep up with my friends, I didn't really need it. I graduated high school and my face went crazy almost immediately. Big, deep cystic acne developed all around my mouth and chin seemingly overnight. It continued like this all freshman and sophomore year of college while I frantically tried failed treatment after failed treatment (BCP, some antibiotics, proactiv, countless topicals, chemical peels...). 

At the beginning of junior year, my derm put me on Solodyn. I was cynical about this since all the other antibiotics I tried didn't do a thing. I took it every day as directed but expected nothing. This stuff ended up being an absolute miracle, my face cleared completely and for the first time in years I was confident in my appearance. I finished up college with a glowing complexion and was positive that my bad skin days were behind me. 

Fast forward to earlier this year (March). I noticed that my skin was not only starting to break out more, but it was breaking out in places I'd never had a pimple before in my life. I went into panic mode and immediately had my derm write me a prescription for Solodyn. It worked once... it should take care of things again, right? Nope. Clusters of little bumps took over my left cheek, closed comedones and cysts developed all around my mouth. I continued to take the Solodyn even though my skin kept getting worse, I had convinced myself that it would just take time to kick in and work its magic again. 

I felt hideous, having relapsed after over a year of beautiful skin was devastating. I began canceling plans, hiding out at home on weekends so I could keep whatever treatment I was trying on my face all day (BP, aspirin masks, queen Helene, lemon juice, egg white mask...you name it, I've tried it). I stopped dating. I didn't even want my friends to see me. I knew I was overreacting as my skin was nowhere near as bad as it was in college but it still bothered me to no end. I just wanted my good skin back! I tried to snap out of it and started seeing this good looking guy a few months ago but was so self conscious about the way my face looked that I couldn't be myself. Staying over at his place was an absolute nightmare, I would lie perfectly still in bed all night instead of sleeping so I wouldn't ruin my makeup and try to leave first thing in the morning so I could go home and wash my face. 

To top it all off, I've been in and out of the hospital since July due to a constant tightness in my chest and difficulty breathing. Apparently both of these are side effects of Solodyn
and while it was not the cause of my hospital visits, my derm took me off it immediately when she found out. This was about a week or so into August. My skin started clearing immediately, the difference after a week of being off Solodyn was insane. Maybe my body reacted differently to it this time around? I'm not sure, but the fact that I pretty much ruined my summer by taking these pills that were basically just breaking me out more pissed me off to no end. 

I continued to clear but I know my acne is hormonal and that this would be an ongoing battle. My sister used to have awful skin until her derm put her on a combo of Spiro and ampicillin. She now has the gorgeous, porcelain complexion that I dream of every single day (I'm pale. I love it. I embrace it. I've endured pale jokes my whole life but I prefer smooth, white skin to the nasty, wrinkled leather of every girl I went to high school with). After doing tons of research I had my heart set on getting a prescription. I saw my derm last week, she agreed that Spiro is a wonder drug (uhh k, then why didn't you put me on it years ago when my chin was loaded with hormonal cysts??), and I got my prescription.

Sooooo that was extremely long winded and probably not that interesting, let's get down to business. 

DAY 10:

10 days into treatment and there's no real noteworthy differences. I'm absolutely dreading an IB based on some of the things I've read here. Current skin status is I have one zit that I popped last night, a monster on my chin that will meet a similar fate when I get home from work tonight, and one brewing deep under the skin on my right cheek. These are all accompanied by a lovely collection of red marks that serve as a reminder of what an awful summer this has been for my skin. Delightful. 

Has anyone here taken Spiro WITHOUT an IB??

I have noticed that the skin in the corners of my nose is rougher/bumpier. If I get close enough to the mirror (we're talkin face smashed against the glass close), I can see little blackhead type clogs. Not something I'm terribly excited about but definitely not noticeable. 

No real side effects yet. I already drink almost a gallon of water a day and as you can imagine, frequent bathroom trips were already part of my daily routine. Hoping to bypass the extreme fatigue, nausea, headaches, etc (but NOT the bigger boobs, that's a side effect my B-cups and I are praying for). 

I think that's all for now. I won't do a daily log since I doubt the changes will be significant enough to post about every day. Stayed tuned!

Edited by Lkg88, 08 September 2011 - 10:49 AM.

#2 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 September 2011 - 06:19 PM

DAY 11

So I'm a bit confused. When I asked my derm about an initial breakout, she said Spiro shouldn't bring anything up. It seems my skin would beg to differ. Yesterday I noticed during work that a new bump had shown up out of nowhere under the pimple I popped a couple days ago. I was, of course, less than thrilled to see it but upon closer inspection once I got home (again, "face smashed against the mirror" close), I noticed that it had a little head so I extracted it.

Side note: I am a notorious picker/popper/whatever you want to call it. If it has a head, I'm gonna try to get rid of it. I know, shame on me, that's so bad for my skin, etc. etc. Whatever. I don't care, draining my pores of that junk is one of the most satisfying feelings in the world. Especially since all of my zits are never truly gone until the hardened sebum core is pushed out. For what it's worth, I do pop them the "right" way! Anyways...

So I extracted the new bump to find that it wasn't really a pimple, just a hardened plug of oil. It went pretty deep and it's still a tiny bit red today but it didn't grow into something bigger after popping it. The corners of my nose and underneath my nose are loaded with these types of clogged pores/blackhead type things. I was actually able to extract a few plugs with tweezers just now after showering (super gross but, again, SO satisfying). Since this had never been really been a problem for me prior to Spiro, I'm guessing it might be part of my IB while my body adjusts to the new hormones? Who knows. My plan is to wait until the junk pushes itself out of my pores and extract them with tweezers as needed. I'm going to try my absolute hardest not to squeeze these out! The last thing I need is a nose full of broken capillaries.

Not much new skin news to report. I did seem slightly less oily by the end of the work day today but I'm not expecting to see major improvements for several more weeks. I just went at the monster on my chin for a good 20 minutes (steam, squeeze, repeat) with nothing to show for it :[ By far the most stubborn one I've had in a while! I can see the big bead of pus under the skin and I just want it ooooouuuuuttttttttttt. Ugh.

Also, I do have a couple teeny bumps scattered on my forehead. One above my left eyebrow, one right by my hairline, a couple over by my right temple. They're really small and nothing to write home about but it's noteworthy for me because my forehead has never broken out. Ever. I don't even wash my forehead. If only the rest of my skin was as well behaved...

#3 feebedel

feebedel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hello! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. I must say your writing is quite eloquent and as I was reading I noticed I was nodding my head in agreement most of the time! I too have pale skin and embrace it. I just wish I didn't have the scars. I'd tell you my full sob story as well but if you feel like reading my posts you can go to my page and see my progress. I"m now on 150mgs of Spironolactone and I think I'm on day 70. I've had quite a bit of success with it so far. I have noticed that around my nose can get rough and a bit clogged as you described. My skin is MUCH less oily now than it used to be.
I never had an IB, but I've had my ups and downs especially during the first month or so. I'm fairly clear now and people have noticed it which makes me so happy! But I think there is still progress to be made!!
Did you say how many mgs you are on? I noticed the higher the dose the more irregular my period was. It seems to be getting more normalized now. I also lost some water weight... like 7 or 8 lbs. But, keep me updated! I hope this works!!
<3
PS I adore the title of this log smile.gif

#4 Jennaaaay

Jennaaaay

I've finally learned not to go crazy when I breakout

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:02 PM

Hahaha. Love the title! It made me laugh. IDK MY BFF ROSE! IDK MY BFF JILL!

Your derm said it wouldn't make you breakout? I thought all BC would make you breakout since it messes with the hormones? Weeeiiird...

But I hope the BC works out well for you and you get the skin you've always wanted! Have faith.

catdance.gif

#5 feebedel

feebedel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (feebedel @ Sep 11 2011, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. I must say your writing is quite eloquent and as I was reading I noticed I was nodding my head in agreement most of the time! I too have pale skin and embrace it. I just wish I didn't have the scars. I'd tell you my full sob story as well but if you feel like reading my posts you can go to my page and see my progress. I"m now on 150mgs of Spironolactone and I think I'm on day 70. I've had quite a bit of success with it so far. I have noticed that around my nose can get rough and a bit clogged as you described. My skin is MUCH less oily now than it used to be.
I never had an IB, but I've had my ups and downs especially during the first month or so. I'm fairly clear now and people have noticed it which makes me so happy! But I think there is still progress to be made!!
Did you say how many mgs you are on? I noticed the higher the dose the more irregular my period was. It seems to be getting more normalized now. I also lost some water weight... like 7 or 8 lbs. But, keep me updated! I hope this works!!
<3

I'm an idiot. It says 100mgs in the title haha

#6 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (feebedel @ Sep 11 2011, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (feebedel @ Sep 11 2011, 12:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<3

I'm an idiot. It says 100mgs in the title haha

Thank you! So glad someone's actually reading the log, haha I figured I was just talking to myself! Pale girls unite! Seriously, I think fair skin is so gorgeous and timeless looking. The tan people that mock us now will be super jealous when they're 30 and look like they're 50 and we're flawless, wrinkle free beauties biggrin.gif

Glad to hear you're having a good experience, definitely gives me hope. I'll be sure to check out your log to see what may be in store for me since you're much further along in your treatment! How long have you been on 150 mgs? Did you notice a difference from whatever does you started at? How long did it take for your period to regulate itself again?

#7 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

QUOTE (Jennaaaay @ Sep 11 2011, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahaha. Love the title! It made me laugh. IDK MY BFF ROSE! IDK MY BFF JILL!

Your derm said it wouldn't make you breakout? I thought all BC would make you breakout since it messes with the hormones? Weeeiiird...

But I hope the BC works out well for you and you get the skin you've always wanted! Have faith.

catdance.gif

Hahahaha I didn't know if anyone was even going to get the title reference but it made me laugh so I was like whatever! That's one of my favorite commercials ever. I'm also kind of in love with the Target commercials with the guy and the keyboard. DEEEEENIM. SHAUN WHITE HOODIES AND DEEEEENIM.

Anyways...

Well I've been on Yasmin for years, I initially started it to try to control my acne without much success but ended up staying on it for birth control purposes (I probably should have mentioned this earlier). The Spiro is what I'm really banking on being my cure but considering it's essentially a massive dose of hormones it is kind of weird that she said it wouldn't break me out...oh well. There's been no massive breakouts yet so maybe she was right!

Thanks lady, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

#8 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

DAY 14:

I've reached the official two week point! eusa_dance.gif

Things are going surprisingly well. The rough patches by my nose are already starting to subside which is making me SO happy. I'm not sure whether I should attribute this to the Spiro or Mario Badescu's enzyme cleansing gel. I bought a little bottle at Ulta on Saturday because I'm desperately trying to get away from benzoyl peroxide. It's a non-foaming gel cleanser and I absolutely adore it. The weird flowery smell is a little off putting for me but a lot of people on makeupalley.com (MY PRODUCT REVIEW BIBLE. I swear by this website, check it out if you haven't) seem to find it relaxing. I've only used it for a couple days but I'm already liking what I see!

No new bumps at all which is fantastic since my period should be here any minute now. Seriously, I'm so regular that I know within which hour I should be expecting it. It'll be interesting to see if Spiro has any effect on the unfailing timeliness of my uterus.

After I wiped my makeup off today, I saw that the creases of my nose were packed with hardened sebum plugs poking out of the pores (mmm sounds beautiful, I know...). I wrapped my finger tip in clean toilet paper and lightly rubbed it back and forth in each of the creases and several of the plugs worked their ways out. It seems like once I manage to get them out, the pore stays clean so I say keep 'em comin'!

I cannot for the life of me get this fucking pimple on my chin to come to a head. My last attempt to pop it only resulted in a scab which just came off today. There's still crap under the skin so I give up, it'll come up when it wants. I'm so aggravated because this pimple has resurfaced SEVERAL times in the exact same spot in various sizes! One time over the summer, it was home to literally the biggest pimple I've ever had. It was so ridiculously huge that I just had to laugh. I was getting ready to go out with a friend that night and I went to my dad (who has been my self-esteem cheerleader throughout this whole skin ordeal) and showed it to him.

"IS THIS NOT THE BIGGEST PIMPLE YOU'VE EVER SEEN IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE?"

"What? Where? Oh....hmmmm...well....it's............so what time are you leaving for Cal's?"

At least he didn't lie? Either way, I'm very ready for this area of my chin to stop spawning these hideous cysts.

My red marks seem to be fading nicely but obviously slower than I would like (overnight cure, anyone? Anyone?). I've been alternating between aspirin masks and a 10% glycolic gel I found in my bathroom. I wouldn't dare step out of the house without makeup yet but the improvement is definitely noticeable! Tonight will be an aspirin mask night I think...

Alright, time for some mint chocolate chip ice cream (to completely undo the workout I just did, Jillian Michaels would be so disappointed) and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. Until next time!

#9 feebedel

feebedel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

I started on 100 on July 6th and after a month I was better but still getting some "deep zonkers" so I got switched to 150 on August 8th or so. So it's been over a month on 150 and my skin is pretty great. Cystic acne is pretty much gone!!!
As for my period I don't know if it's really regular yet but it still seems to be working itself out I think. I really ought to keep better track of it. Anyway, I think the rough nose thing is the Spiro. I had a similar experience. It went away after awhile once my skin got used to the changes!!
I'll keep reading! smile.gif

#10 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

DAY 30

Not the happiest camper right now.

Current face status: one big disgusting scabby mess by the right side of my mouth (that's still sore underneath and will surely rise up again when the scab falls off), a smaller pimple underneath that, a weird under the skin double bump a half inch under my lip, and a big cystic bitch on my left jaw line that is FINALLY starting to deflate.

Meh. Meh meh meh.

This is the worst my face has looked in a couple months and the most annoying part is some of it is of my doing, I went squeeze crazy last night. Most days after I pop the hell out of my face, I wake up and it looks much better. Everything is flat with perhaps a hint of a red mark. Today was not one of those days, i woke up to a repulsive inflamed mess. The scabby bit and the pimple under it are definitely my fault. I also squeezed at a microscopic clogged pore on my cheek (which was back to looking pristinely white and smooth) and now there's a nice red mark. It was literally undetectable by normal people but I'm psychotic and locked in on it right away. Fuck. My. Life.

So mad at myself. I won't say I'll never pick again because I know that's a damn lie, I just need to practice some serious self control.

I'm very much looking forward to the day when there's nothing left on my face to pick.

#11 feebedel

feebedel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:19 PM

Dude I totally get the picking thing. I always had to tell my self to STOP but it's sooo hard. Next thing I knew I had what appeared to be lepracy on my face. When ever I get the urge I tell myself that touching it won't magically make it go away and I will allow myself to pop it when it looks poppable... if that makes sense. I used to be soo much worse but I still do it. Hopefully you won't NEED to pick soon!!! Rawr.

#12 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

Day 38

Can I first just say that I find this new "log in via Facebook/share on Facebook" option hilarious? Yeah, because I want everyone on Facebook to know I spend all my time on an acne website...

I'm starting to get really frustrated. My breakout from last week has basically healed, all that remains are the usual red marks. But now a few of the blackheads on the sides of my nose are starting to get inflamed. There's one on the left side of my nose and two on the right that have blown up into full on pimples. I've also got about 7 tiny little under the skin bumps on the right side of my face under my mouth.

When will this shit stop?? Is this normal? Can someone tell me if all these bumps and blackheads just go away eventually? Is this a problem that I'm just going to have to deal with now? I know I've only been on Spiro for a little over a month but I feel like things are only getting worse. The overall texture of my face is pretty bumpy around my mouth and nose and I'm not feelin' it at all.

Positive stories, advice, words of encouragement, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Feeling waayyy down right now :(

#13 myAMBERromance

myAMBERromance

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

I feel your pain :/ this summer has been the WORST for my skin in years. I've always had bad skin, but this summer was AWEFUL. I took a trip to New York in July and my skin went sooo crazy, I didn't want anyone to see me, even with makeup on I didn't want to go out or go to shows. I started on Spiro in August, but my dose had to be lowered down to 25mg because I was having some pretty bad side effects. Yeah, its a measly little dose, I know, but I figured I'd stay on it for kicks and see what happens.I never had an IB. Its been two months and my hormonal breakouts have been pretty significantly vanquished. I wouldn't say its been a miracle drug, but it has helped knock out some of the hormonal contributions to my cystic acne. My skin didn't show improvement until about the 5 week mark. Also, I started using some great topicals (Acanya- check it out. Its pretty much amazing) that really worked with the Spiro so I'm getting cleared up inside and out.

#14 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

I feel your pain :/ this summer has been the WORST for my skin in years. I've always had bad skin, but this summer was AWEFUL. I took a trip to New York in July and my skin went sooo crazy, I didn't want anyone to see me, even with makeup on I didn't want to go out or go to shows. I started on Spiro in August, but my dose had to be lowered down to 25mg because I was having some pretty bad side effects. Yeah, its a measly little dose, I know, but I figured I'd stay on it for kicks and see what happens.I never had an IB. Its been two months and my hormonal breakouts have been pretty significantly vanquished. I wouldn't say its been a miracle drug, but it has helped knock out some of the hormonal contributions to my cystic acne. My skin didn't show improvement until about the 5 week mark. Also, I started using some great topicals (Acanya- check it out. Its pretty much amazing) that really worked with the Spiro so I'm getting cleared up inside and out.

I totally know what you mean about not wanting to go out even with makeup. I was supposed to go out with some friends last night. I put on a full face of makeup and stared in the mirror trying to talk myself into it but I couldn't bring myself to go. I have like 3 cysts on my chin right now and it looks awful, not to mention hurts like hell :[ Glad it sounds like spiro is helping you though! I know I need to just hang in there since I'm barely over a month in, haha I read the reviews for it on this website daily to keep myself going.

I keep seeing this Acanya stuff being mentioned all over this site! I'll have to look into it, thanks for your reply! Good luck with everything, here's hoping clear skin is somewhere in the near future for all of us!!

#15 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

Day 43

Face is a mess. One pimple on either side of my nose, several blackheads threatening to swell into monsters as well. One huge cyst on my chin that is finally coming to a head. One pus filled pimple under the left side of my lip that is the epitome of nasty. One coming up under the right side of my mouth, that one will probably have a head within the next day or so. One crusty scab in between that one and the cyst on my chin. Random little bumps along my jaw.Just blech. My chin/mouth area looks awful.

However, I am conducting an experiment this week. I have never actually seen what happens to a pus filled pimple if you don't pop it, I've never given mine the chance. I've completely banned myself from picking and popping at anything on my face. So far so good, the nasty white heads I have are already starting to dry up. It looks repulsive right now, but I'm hoping they'll just dry up and fall off with minimal scarring or junk left under the skin that'll resurface again as another zit. This is a serious lesson in self control but I'm proud of myself for not caving so far!

I'm hoping this will be the last of my initial breakout, all the little bumps l had on my chin seem to be surfacing as these gross pus filled zits. I just want it to end. I've been putting 10% AHA gel on my face during the day and again at night and that really seems to be helping to bring the crap up/dry it out!

One last quick thing to note: I've noticed a few pimples scattered randomly on my scalp. Not along my hairline, we're talking like top of my head and towards the back. I'll feel them when I brush my hair (always a fun surprise) or when I scratch my head. These don't bother me as nobody can see them.

Praying this next month and a half or so goes by fast. I'm ready to start seeing results!

#16 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

Day 52:

I would really hate to jinx myself but I think I'm finally starting to turn a corner with Spiro. The last few weeks have been absolutely brutal but I think things are finally starting to die down. Everything looks waayyyyy less angry. I have couple dying zits along my hair line, three scabs in a perfectly diagonal line from the right corner of my nose to the right corner of my mouth, one scab right under the septum of my nose, and one pimple under my lip on the left side. It doesn't have a head yet but it lookslike it's on its way out! The overall texture of my skin is still a little bumpy, especially where old spots are still healing. I still have lots of blackheads in my nose and red marks scattered errywhere from this most recent breakout.

Remember when I said I wasn't going to pick or pop? Yeaahhh I lied. I couldn't help it and I have the kind of acne that NEEDS to be popped. The whiteheads weren't going anywhere and they just looked nasty. I think my biggest issue is controlling my picking and knowing when something is ready to be extracted! Every time I've tried to force something out it just ended in a new zit.

Definitely way less oily by the end of the day which is a blessing in itself. I've started taking Spiro with food in the morning since I read somewhere that it increases absorption, I wish I had been doing that from the start! Oh well. My skincare routine has been fairly minimalistic lately, I've decided to back off all the crap and let my skin heal itself.

Morning:

Wash with Cetaphil gentle cleanser
Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA oil free formula
Cerave AM moisturizer
100mg Spiro with a small snack

Night:

Wash with Cetaphil gentle cleanser
Alpha Hydrox 10% AHA oil free formula
Cerave PM moisturizer
Vitamins: Centrum multi, 2000 mg fish oil, 2000 mg vitamin C, 1000 mg vitamin E, 300 iu vitamin D3

Every once in a while I'll throw in an aspirin mask or Queen Helene but I'm really trying to keep it as simple as possible. Fingers crossed that I'm finally on my way to becoming a success story!

#17 lja08

lja08

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:50 PM

how is it going so far with your spiro progress?? i enjoy reading your posts! i started on oct 20th, so i've been on it for about 3 weeks and ive had pretty good results. i'm a week away from my period and i got my first zit since starting on my chin. it kinda hurts and i squeezed some crap out of it this morning since i could see a head forming...i TOTALLY hear you on the picking habit. its terrible...i definitely make things worse by doing it.

hoping things are going well with you!!

#18 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hmmmm well let's see. It has been a while, hasn't it? My absence is mostly due to the fact that I had no progress to report other than new pimples and that shit just gets depressing after a while. Quick recap of my Spiro experience thus far:

Month 1: Way more blackheads but totally manageable. Slightly rougher/bumpier skin texture due to obscene amount of blackheads.

Month 2: Absolute train wreck for the literally the entire month. New zits at least every other day, clogged pores, blackheads, cysts, etc (all at once). I could barely look at myself in the mirror, it was by far the worst my skin has looked in ages.

Which brings us to...

DAY 78 (yes, I went back and counted!):

Ok, I know I said in my last post that I thought I was turning a corner with Spiro but that was a lie because I broke out again shortly after. I'm going to say it again this time and I think it might be legit. Face is almost completely smooth, I have one scab by the corner of my mouth and one on my jaw that I'm waiting to fall off and I just popped one teeny whitehead under my eye. I still have some clogged pores but have FINALLY trained myself to not squeeze them until they are absolutely ready. I had the most atrocious breakout last week (5 monsters clustered together) because I tried to force out clogs that weren't ready. That one actually healed relatively quickly thanks to my new spot treatment of choice and the love of my life: baking powder. It is the ONLY thing that has killed my persistent breakouts and it's been a life saver, especially during last month's nightmare. When I have a pimple, especially a freshly popped one, I mix up a little paste of baking soda and water and dab it on the spot for 15-20 minutes. Within a few days the spot has dried up and fallen off. I cannot say enough good things about it and encourage everyone to try it at least once!

I still have approximately one million red marks all around my mouth and on my chin that I will continue to work on (10% AHA and Alpha Hydrox's Spot Light skin lightener) but am pleased overall with the way my face feels. I'm hoping things continue down this road. Oil production has SERIOUSLY reduced, that alone makes me want to do a Maury style "YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER" dance of joy. My breakouts lately are minor (no cysts!) and I would classify my acne as extremely mild at the moment. If only I could get rid of these effing red marks!

Another glorious side effect: reduced hairiness everywhere. Seriously. I shaved my armpits like a week ago and it's barely grown back. I haven't had to do my eyebrows in two weeks. The last time I shaved my legs was three weeks ago (yay winter and being single -_-) and it's finally reached the length it used to only take a week to reach. The peach fuzz on my face seems to be diminishing too! LOVING. IT.

So glad things are started to look good, I was beginning to dread the holidays. I had to go to a family event during the peak of my breakouts last month, nothing like sitting across the table from your porcelain skinned teenage cousins with a face full of adult acne. I only WISH that I had gotten this shit out of the way when I was younger, my good skin was wasted on my awkward, dorky high school self :[

I'm trying to think if there's anything else worth mentioning...I have a follow up appt with my derm some time this month so she can check up on my progress. I think I might mention increasing my dosage and see what she thinks. There's definitely room for improvement but I'm not sure if increasing my dose will help or if I need to just march on at 100 mg and give it more time. It's just nice to finally feel something other than complete discouragement, this may not turn out to be a lost cause after all!

I'll try not to let another month go by without updating! Hope all you lovely ladies are doing well :]

#19 spiro123

spiro123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

DAY 92:

I can't believe I'm finally three months in, it could not have gone by any slower!

Current skin status: still smooth, some light hyperpigmentation, a few clogged pores and three little scabs on my right cheek from a mini breakout I had last week. I went to squeeze out one little clog that was ready to go and when I applied pressure to the area, all the neighboring clogs decided to start coming out too. It was like those play doh machines where you put it in and crank the handle and all the strings come out. I went a little overboard pushing out the rest of the filaments in that area (as I tend to do) and turned it into a fairly nasty patch of scabs. It's healing up well (baking soda and AHA!!!) and should be completely gone within the next two or three days.

No new pimples, haven't had a cyst in about a month now! I went to my derm last Tuesday and she seemed really pleased with my progress, especially the oil reduction (my makeup used to be sliding off my face when I'd go see her after working a 9 hour day). When I asked her about maybe increasing my dose she said absolutely not, apparently 100 mg is the ideal for someone my size (5'8", 132 lbs) so I guess I'll just power through at 100 and hope I keep seeing improvements!

I also had my first blood test since starting Spiro and I'm not gonna lie, I was really nervous. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies and fucking EVERYTHING has potassium in it! I was terrified that I would test too high and have to come off the meds and all that hell I went through would have been for nothing. Luckily I just got a call from the lab saying everything looked good so I can keep going with the Spiro! So relieved.

I guess that's all for now, I'm (thankfully) having less and less to update about these days as my skin has been pretty consistent. I hope all of you are doing well, I read pretty much everyone's logs here and I'm rooting for all of you!!

#20 aleesajean

aleesajean

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

Have you tried turmeric for red marks? the smell is a little funky and it will stain anything and everything it comes into contact with, but it has lightened my red marks dramatically. i swear by this stuff. I usually mix it with honey and a few drops of jojoba oil and leave it on for about 20 minutes before bed, then wash it off. (it will make your face have a yellow tint, but once my morning shower is over, its gone.) Just be very careful with towels, clothes, sheets, etc.