Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question on rice..

30 posts in this topic

OK - I know that wholemeal rice is recommended instead of white rice on the GI index (right?), same goes for wholemeal pasta instead of 'regular' pasta...

So, I've been buying wholemeal of both recently, just to 'make sure' a bit.

However, I went shopping today and the store had no wholemeal rice in stock, and instead, only 'American Brown Rice'. I bought it, in preference to white rice, but was basically just wondering if this is essentially the same in terms of how it may be beneficial to acne, like wholemeal is - OR if there's no difference, apart from it being a different colour? bb_icon_confused.gif

Thanks.

Is it precooked? If it is, I would try to get a brand that isn't next time. Cooking and especially microwaving certain foods changes the molecular structure, which can cause a pretty drastic difference in post-meal glucose response.

Generally though, brown rice is the best rice in terms of post-meal insulin/glucose response.

before you judge me take a look at you

can't you find something better to do

point the finger, slow to understand

arrogance and ignorance go hand in hand

- Metallica, "holier than thou"

yes smile.gif

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

Stage 2 (Prevention): "cheapest" method ~ Since Aug. 2002

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

* Strengthen/Repair GI - Immune health

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Thanks.

So is there any difference at all between the two - apart from the name (bearing in mind I'm also yet to taste it..)? smile.gif

Thanks.

So is there any difference at all between the two - apart from the name (bearing in mind I'm also yet to taste it..)? smile.gif

Hehe, I'm glad you asked cuz I thought they were the same ;-)

So is Whole Grain the same as Wholemeal?

Well, this seperates the two but they are both complex carbs

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/focus/nutrition...rbohydrates.htm

This also seperatetes the two, but it is VERY informative

http://www.baking911.com/pantry_flour,grains2.htm

Wholemeal, also called whole wheat flour contains 100% of the wheat grain including the bran and the germ with nothing added or taken away. It is rich in fiber to add roughage to the diet.  http://www.baking911.com/pantry_flour,grai...GRAIN%20(MEAL):

These are not steps, but stages some people progress through when going from conventional to holistic medicine. Stage 2 is how I became 99%+ Clear, eliminated my dysmennorhea, significantly reduced my sebum & pore size, etc & is my predominant method.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

* (Daily) Isocare Skin Control Cleanser, Dream Products Customized Natural Face Lotion & Coppertone Sport Spray Sunscreen (mixed)

* (Sporadically) spot treat w/ anti-inflammatory (neosporin, hydrocortisone, salicylic acid) or a skin lightener (post-inflammatory pigmentation) to treat stubborn cystic/nodular acne that appears due to unknowingly or knowingly ingesting a food/ingredient that breaks me out (I do my best to avoid these foods). If you cover treated area w/ a bandaid, it makes product more effective.

* Follow a Gluten-Free, Trans-Fat Free, Dairy-Free and No Added Sugar diet for my Insulin Resistance/Hyperandrogenism (Silent Chronic Inflammatory Syndrome)

* Avoid ALL types of nuts and the Genus Prunus (almonds, plums, peaches, nectarines, apricots, cherries), Bananas, Pineapples, Cottonseed oil, Artificial Sweetners.

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

* Developing functional foods for those with acne & other special needs (assuming there's a defficiency).

* Developing good & "safe" formulas for various hormonal issues for women. Correction stage may resolve this for some.

Thanks.

Korean rice is the best in taste, I love the fluffy and light texture...great stuff (note that this stuff isn't really considered "healthy")

But brown rice is pretty good, I like it much better than long grain and white rice....the taste is about the same.

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

"A question on rice"... laugh.gif ... that title makes me laugh... i dont know why, but it does... so i thank you.

say, has anyone ever been eating brown rice and they bite into a piece of rice and then the rice bites back... because of that hard shell around the rice that didn't get removed.

Also, for those interested in nutrient values of foods, this is something a member here showed me:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

wait. wait! sooooooo whats rong with rice now?.............white i mean, its does what with the who now? can u tell me the conecton between white rice and acne, cos if there is one im scrwed eusa_wall.gif

Brown rice is a wonderful staple food. I love it in burritos with vegetarian beans..or it's also GREAT with broccoli and pepper stir fry....mmmmmm!

*pointless talk of food*

Current Skin-Care Regimen (A work in progress):

Morning:

Gentle wash with DKR cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil (The lotion alone wasn't hydrating enough)

Skin 79 Korean BB Cream (excellent stuff)

Evening:

Gentle Wash with DKR Cleanser

Benzoyl Peroxide 2.5% (Following Dan's Regimen)

DKR Lotion + A squirt of Argan or Grapeseed oil

wait. wait! sooooooo whats rong with rice now?.............white i mean, its does what with the who now?  can u tell me the conecton between white rice and acne, cos if there is one im scrwed  eusa_wall.gif

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

Brown rice is one of the best foods you can consume, no negative side effects at all, only health benefits.

So does white rice have a high GI index or what? You see, I'm a Singaporean Chinese and rice is our staple food...we eat it all the time! So if this is not good for acne that is cause for concern for me...

Brown rice is quite cheap and tastes really nice better than white, and is so much better for u.

Tom

[image removed by sigbot--see board rules]

So does white rice have a high GI index or what? You see, I'm a Singaporean Chinese and rice is our staple food...we eat it all the time! So if this is not good for acne that is cause for concern for me...

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

I eat Lundberg Organic California Brown Basmati Rice. It is tastes really good. My diet which I do for weight control and health is a low GI diet.The diet hasn't helped my skin, and I have been on it for over three years. I can't beat it for weight control, though. And, it relatively easy to live on over time.

Well if it isn't naturally white then it's devoid of nutrients & fiber, but otherwise it's fine.  It shouldn't affect your skin whatsoever, plus it apparently is lower GI than brown rice (if you care).  Yet, when you say all the time, what does that mean?  How many servings/cups?  Also do you only eat white rice or do you have other varieties available?

Erm i suppose the rice over here is 'naturally white'...I take it by saying not naturally white you mean it's just brown rice with the husks or something removed? But how can any rice be white by itself?

When I say all the time, I mean something like 2-3 servings of rice a day...at almost every meal(excluding breakfast of course). That's why it's a staple...otherwise it's mostly noodles, the yellow starchy kind which probably has a high GI index. We do have western food, and I have western food not infrequently, but there's the saturated fats to think of...

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

: confused.gif

Oh no...

I've been eating loads of noodles recently... eusa_doh.gif

Stage 1 (Treatment):

Stage 3 (Correction):

Research:

It's hard to gauge, because - at the moment, anyway eusa_pray.gif - my acne's back down to being pretty mild, so I'm not always sure whether a few zits appearing is a breakout or just part of having acne. Very confusing.

I've had a fair few new breakouts recently though, but I stupidly decided to eat a whole load of crap last week as well (sweet, sugary stuff that I know from past experience won't do me any favours), so it'd hard to blame it on the noodles.

That said, I really eat so much noodles and bread (wholemeal), almost as part of a staple diet, that it's frustrating to think that if I cut those two things out, I might be clear altogether - but I'm running out of other, different things to eat!

Will have to see how cutting them out of my diet - or at least, cutting down on them - affects me.

Brown ice and veggies and fruit, hello clear skin smile.gif

Brown rice vs white rice

The hulls on rice are cracked open revealing the bran and the rice itself, for white rice the bran is washed off and polished revealing a food which has a longer shelf life. No good standing fungus, mold, bacteria would touch the stuff. It's the bran potion of rice that contains most of the nutrients including vitamin b-complexes and it's the section which contains the fibre.

Why do you think some of those asian dudes live to like 120 just eating rice or so many people (1/2 worlds populations staple diet is rice) eat it.

Not an expert on noodles but wholemeal bread contains sugars, wheat and most importantly (or i'd say unfortunately) yeast. Yeast is baddddddddd, nobody should consume yeast that wants to be healthy.

Say bye to all yeast products (pastry, breads, alcahol etc).

SweetJade i'll avoid noodles as much as possible, and i don't really like bee hoon(that's what we call rice noodles over here) tongue.gif but i'm glad to know that white rice is ok? thx.

OzPower i thought wholemeal bread is good?! at least it has a lower GI than white bread...or is it just because of yeast? why is yeast bad anyway? tons of ppl eat bread and they're none the worse for it...i think?