Photo

The cure is quiet simple really..

gluten

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 helliotion

helliotion

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:01 PM

After a few years of pretty bad acne I cured it through natural means. I do not use any commericial cleansers on my face. The only thing I would do if I were you is some sort of exfoliation while taking a shower.

The best way, definitely the most gratifying method of curing acne, is by finally using any grief or embarrassment you feel over your acne against the temptation of unhealthy foods....Simply, The Cure for acne is to eat a healthy diet.

The problem is many people are told one things healthy when it's the opposite.

Vegetables are the most unarguably healthy food. There's no denying that we need vegetables, although some devout fruitarians would disagree but not all of us can be fruitarian. Fruits are also generally good, although probably best eaten at a lower intake than vegetables.

The next food groups seem to have the most controversies over them. Grains, Beans, Meat, Fish, Eggs, Dairy.

I'm going to tell you right now, dairy is in no way good for acne and it's doubtful that its good for you.

Grains, Gluten-free is probably best. Also, Despite what is generally told about grains I highly doubt it's intake should be so great. Wheat is probably the worst grain.

Fish is more likely better than meat, but I wouldn't eliminate either completely.

Eggs don't really react much with acne, but if you want more health knowledge cage free eggs are better.

Essentially, You want a Food Pyramid that calls for A lot of Vegetables, Good amount of fruit, Mild amounts of Grain, Beans, Eggs, Meat, Fish; and no dairy.

I followed this, I threw away all my skin cleansers and creams; I took only Cold showers, Twice A day. And yet instead of breaking out, I cleared up to having absolutely no acne.

There is one last thing I'd like to say if your not convinced that this is the best course of action for you. I've heard many people say that you can't stop acne, it's genetic, it's hormonal, it's part of puberty, it's natural.... There's nothing natural about it. Take this as an Absolute Truth. Acne is a disease, a pestilence, an illness, a sickness. It is not the normal functioning of the body, it is the effect of not having a healthy body.

To be healthy is to be without disease.

To become healthy one must eat healthy.

I don't think exercise would have much to do with acne but it'd still help, so if you want to do that too go for it.

Questions?

#2 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

No questions, but I don't think this is the case for everyone. I have clear skin I cleared my acne but it wasn't with a diet routine. I eat pretty healthy now but at the time I finally cleared my acne I was eating like shit, sweets, junk food (college diet!). Works for some but not for all. To this day I can eat like shit and it won't make me break out.

#3 helliotion

helliotion

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

This is one such thing I want to address. Because everyone is a unique expression of a human being, each of us needs a different amount of the food groups I mentioned. Some people may have a body that is more inclined to eat fish, and they feel best and look best with a higher fish diet. This is good. One thing everyone should look into is how an individual food or an entire food group affects them, personally. This is the one way to optimize your diet to your body.

Also Freeliving, Are you saying that your acne cleared up because you outgrew it or did you do something else?

#4 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

Yes, diet affects everyone's acne. It isn't possible for it not to. There is much more to how diet affects acne than what you have listed, but it's still all beneficial advice.

Exercise has quite a big effect on acne as it affects stress, body fat/muscle mass, blood sugar metabolism and more. All of which affect hormones and inflammation. We are meant to move around a lot everyday and it's an important part of how the body functions. And lifestyle habits like exercise and sleep affect how strict your diet needs to be.

And from everything he's said here, freeliving most likely grew out of his acne at 18 like many people do.

Edited by alternativista, 31 August 2011 - 08:51 PM.

#5 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Aug 31 2011, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, diet affects everyone's acne. It isn't possible for it not to.

And from everything he's said here, freeliving most likely grew out of his acne at 18 like many people do.

I disagree 100%.

Secondly, if I went back to using soaps and creams and hot water I would still breakout, it happened to me about 1 year ago, as I started to explore the wet shaving world. Buying fancy soaps and creams and lathering my face with a silver tip brush (badger hair). It made me have mild breakouts so I stopped with hot water and soaps for good and clear up in no time flat, and keep in mind I never paid any attention to my diet at the time. I was eating fast food almost 3 times a week at that point as well, I am not over weight but I work outside all the time so fast food was just the life style for lunch.

#6 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Diet is just one piece of the puzzle, albeit a large piece.

Lifestyle habits such as exercise and getting enough sunshine is often times just as important, if not more important.

#7 smartie

smartie

simple is best.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:43 PM

I very, very, very much agree. I think it is also important to find out food intolerances/allergies (many are "silent"), and the most important thing in my honest opinion is to

MINIMIZE SUGAR, and get the sugar that you ARE eating from fruit. I strongly suggest completely cutting out sugar for at least a good month. I would bet everything I own that your acne would DRAMATICALLY improve, no matter what the current condition.

These two things were absolutely crucial to me. (Getting enough sleep + minimize stress + tonnes of vegis and green smoothies are also important imho).

=)

#8 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:54 PM

helliotion, Please add your story to the Success Compilation thread, a far from complete list of members who cleared their skin via diet and lifestyle. You can link to this thread.

http://www.acne.org/...ea-t172158.html

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (freeliving @ Aug 31 2011, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree 100%.

Secondly, if I went back to using soaps and creams and hot water I would still breakout, it happened to me about 1 year ago, as I started to explore the wet shaving world.

So you usually use an electric razor?

'Acne' from shaving with a with razor is pretty common. And it isn't acne. It's folliculitus caused by you irritating the hair follicles with the way you shave. Most people solve the problem by switching to an electric razor.

My older brother has this tendency. And he's the only one of my siblings lucky enough to have grown out of acne by the end of high school.

Edited by alternativista, 31 August 2011 - 09:08 PM.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (chunkylard @ Aug 31 2011, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Diet is just one piece of the puzzle, albeit a large piece.

Lifestyle habits such as exercise and getting enough sunshine is often times just as important, if not more important.

Yes, in fact, they've found that sleep and physical activity are just as important factors in the development of type II diabetes as diet and obesity.

#11 neverforget

neverforget

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:14 AM

Some of your statements are pretty concrete, and I think your personal experience is seriously affecting what you claim. How can you possibly consider a healthy diet to be a sudden ubiquitous "cure"?

For starters, dairy: in its pasteurized form abundantly sold in supermarkets, yes, many will have problems with it, hormones, antibiotics etc. But this tripe is on a whole different plateau than the likes of raw, grass-fed dairy products. I can actually procure grass-fed butter from just about any supermarket, and it personally helped clear my acne, and I've read others having success too. Also, cheese made from raw milk has done wonders for me lately.

Exercise has plenty to do with acne, particularly if your acne had its inception rooted mainly in stress. Exercise has an array of benefits for acne suffers, albeit intense, pronlonged workouts will raise cortisol and can have other nasty effects.

I ate as clean as anyone on earth, but did it clear my acne alone? No. Did it clear all of the others? Not in all cases (edited after Vista pointed out my mistake). If you think diet alone will clear everyone, then you are on a seriously wayward path. Diet will help everyone, but it MAY only clear some.

Edited by neverforget, 01 September 2011 - 06:54 AM.

#12 freeliving

freeliving

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:47 AM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Aug 31 2011, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (freeliving @ Aug 31 2011, 08:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree 100%.

Secondly, if I went back to using soaps and creams and hot water I would still breakout, it happened to me about 1 year ago, as I started to explore the wet shaving world.

So you usually use an electric razor?

'Acne' from shaving with a with razor is pretty common. And it isn't acne. It's folliculitus caused by you irritating the hair follicles with the way you shave. Most people solve the problem by switching to an electric razor.

My older brother has this tendency. And he's the only one of my siblings lucky enough to have grown out of acne by the end of high school.

From this point onward I would not like you to comment back on any of my posts. You clearly do not understand what I am saying, although you act like mister know it all. Yes I know what shave chits are (I don't get shave chits and I used the very best products and never had irritation, I shaved in 2 passes one at 0 degrees, and one at 90 degrees, never ever at 180 degrees), yes I spent a lot of time investing in the best and most expensive shaving products are, yes I invested so much time discovering my beard and the way it grows on each side of my face. Please do not insult me anymore with these narrow minded questions. I would rather not have you leave any feedback on my posts, it is getting quite annoying. You have convinced yourself that whatever I say isn't true and must be due to something you know (who placed you on a golden horse?).

Edited by freeliving, 01 September 2011 - 04:54 AM.

#13 helliotion

helliotion

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:00 AM

QUOTE (neverforget @ Sep 1 2011, 05:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of your statements are pretty concrete, and I think your personal experience is seriously affecting what you claim. How can you possibly consider a healthy diet to be a sudden ubiquitous "cure"?

For starters, dairy: in its pasteurized form abundantly sold in supermarkets, yes, many will have problems with it, hormones, antibiotics etc. But this tripe is on a whole different plateau than the likes of raw, grass-fed dairy products. I can actually procure grass-fed butter from just about any supermarket, and it personally helped clear my acne, and I've read others having success too. Also, cheese made from raw milk has done wonders for me lately.

Exercise has plenty to do with acne, particularly if your acne had its inception rooted mainly in stress. Exercise has an array of benefits for acne suffers, albeit intense, pronlonged workouts will raise cortisol and can have other nasty effects.

I ate as clean as anyone on earth, but did it clear my acne? No. Did it clear others here? No. If you think diet alone will clear everyone, then you are on a seriously wayward path. Diet will help everyone, but it MAY only clear some.

I think I mentioned that what you've been told is a healthy diet probably isn't healthy for you. You must listen to your body, if it feels good eating a certain way, continue eating that way. There are some fad diets that you could trust or distrust since they are fads...but a few advocate only eating fruits and vegetables, I would love to see how that would affect you if you ate that way. I'm not saying the fad diet is healthy, although it may be for you, but I think it would be almost impossible to not get clear while eating only vegetables and fruits. Both food groups are healing and good for your body, especially vegetables.

Right now I'm doing a 3-day water fast. Drinking only water and not eating for 3 days. After this fast I plan on eating only fruits and vegetables at first, with the occasional nut. Then, I will introduce other foods if my body feels better with them or if it feels best without them. Try the same exact thing, I doubt you'll have acne.

#14 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (neverforget @ Sep 1 2011, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ate as clean as anyone on earth, but did it clear my acne? No. Did it clear others here?

Yes. Many people. The board is full of them and there's a thread right there at the top of the forum listing many past members and their stories.

And no one has said diet alone clears everyone. There are other aspects to health such as sleep, physical activity, stress, etc. And a few people do actually have something seriously wrong throwing off hormone balance or an inflammatory condition for example.

But Diet affects everyone and a proper diet will help you to, whether or not you have figured out what all you need to do. Some people have to be more strict than others, although the sleep, exercise and stress habits affect how strict you need to be. Some people need to take extra steps nutrient or supplement wise to address issues like digestion and gut permeability, liver and adrenal health, etc. And food intolerances of course.

#15 CottonCandi

CottonCandi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

Doubt it!

I have a vegan friend who is ultra-healthy and exercises daily and she has acne. A healthy diet works for some people but not all :\

#16 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:45 AM

QUOTE (helliotion @ Sep 1 2011, 05:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
but I think it would be almost impossible to not get clear while eating only vegetables and fruits. Both food groups are healing and good for your body, especially vegetables.

No it's possible. If you are eating something you have an intolerance to for example. Citrus fruits cause me to have severe cystic acne.

And if you had meals consisting of a big bowl of fruit and no fat source to lower the glycemic impact.

And if you have an issue metabolizing fructose as many people here do, although it can be improvedd via nutrients and lifestyle habits.

And it could be difficult getting many nutrients beneficial for hormone balance and other bodily functions eating only fruits and veggies. Zinc for example.

#17 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (CottonCandi @ Sep 1 2011, 06:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doubt it!

I have a vegan friend who is ultra-healthy and exercises daily and she has acne. A healthy diet works for some people but not all :\

What kind of exercise as extreme, prolonged exertion is inflammatory and may elevate hormones?

And is her vegan diet filled with a lot of wheat and soy based faux food? Or does she just eat the real, whole fruits and vegetables the OP mentioned avoiding anything she has an intolerance to and keeping all meals, drinks, and snacks low to moderate Glycemic load?

Edited by alternativista, 01 September 2011 - 07:00 AM.

#18 neverforget

neverforget

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE (alternativista @ Sep 1 2011, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (neverforget @ Sep 1 2011, 04:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I ate as clean as anyone on earth, but did it clear my acne? No. Did it clear others here?

Yes. Many people. The board is full of them and there's a thread right there at the top of the forum listing many past members and their stories.

Sorry, that was worded wrongly on my part. It's edited now. In fact, my own success story is in that thread.

#19 neverforget

neverforget

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (helliotion @ Sep 1 2011, 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I mentioned that what you've been told is a healthy diet probably isn't healthy for you. You must listen to your body, if it feels good eating a certain way, continue eating that way. There are some fad diets that you could trust or distrust since they are fads...but a few advocate only eating fruits and vegetables, I would love to see how that would affect you if you ate that way. I'm not saying the fad diet is healthy, although it may be for you, but I think it would be almost impossible to not get clear while eating only vegetables and fruits. Both food groups are healing and good for your body, especially vegetables.

Right now I'm doing a 3-day water fast. Drinking only water and not eating for 3 days. After this fast I plan on eating only fruits and vegetables at first, with the occasional nut. Then, I will introduce other foods if my body feels better with them or if it feels best without them. Try the same exact thing, I doubt you'll have acne.

I'm all for listening to my body, and I don't pay heed to fad diets, regardless of what they say. I do what I know works. But still, it's very possible that people won't clear from eating solely fruits and vegetables. Intolerances? Allergies? Besides, why would you want to avoid nutrient-dense foods like fish, meat and eggs unless you really dislike them, have problems with them or avoid for ethical reasons?

#20 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (neverforget @ Sep 1 2011, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm all for listening to my body, and I don't pay heed to fad diets, regardless of what they say. I do what I know works. But still, it's very possible that people won't clear from eating solely fruits and vegetables. Intolerances? Allergies? Besides, why would you want to avoid nutrient-dense foods like fish, meat and eggs unless you really dislike them, have problems with them or avoid for ethical reasons?

Well, yes, there is much involved in a healthy diet and clearing acne than the OP posted. And it is true that no one diet is enough for everyone. But the diets that will work must conform to the following rules: Be blood sugar stabilizing, anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense and not include anything that the individual has an intolerance for. And perhaps at least limit dairy and be extra high in the nutrients that the individual needs for their particular health issue.

QUOTE (neverforget @ Sep 1 2011, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry, that was worded wrongly on my part. It's edited now. In fact, my own success story is in that thread.

I thought so, which is why I was puzzled by your response.

Edited by alternativista, 01 September 2011 - 08:09 AM.