Photo

What Foods should I stay away from

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 mannymendoza

mannymendoza

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:35 PM

Ive heard fried foods are bad like hamburgers from fast food places an choclate and french fries what other stuff should i stay away from?

#2 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:35 PM

None of that stuff causes acne. Feel free to eat it.

#3 jeanie

jeanie

i grant wishes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:44 PM

yah ben's right . but for maintenance of good skin, it's better to eat less fried stuff and more veggies.

just read in the papers that dark chocolate every once in awhile is good for health.(thins blood vessel walls to prevent hardening of the arteries etc, which lead to heart disease)

bb_eusa_dance.gif

#4 Doberwoman

Doberwoman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:26 PM

I really believe that it depends on the individual. I ABSOLUTELY have found that diet plays a major part in my acne. If I eliminate saturated fats from my diet (basically avoid all processed foods and only eat lean meats, whole grains fruits and veggies, no added margarine, butter or cheese) my skin clears right up. From a starting point of cystic acne. Other people find that refined sugars affect their acne.

Many people will argue that diet plays no part, but I feel that this may well be because different people have different triggers. ir, if you are a person who is affected by sugars and you are put on a low saturated fat diet, you won't see any improvement and the conclusion of the study will be "diet had no affect". And vice versa.

I'm not saying that diet *causes* acne -- but from my experience and from the many stories I have heard others tell, it can play a MAJOR part.

#5 apple49

apple49

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:27 PM

I agree with Doberwoman. For me, diet makes little difference.If you think food is trigger for you keep a food journal and see if any trends occur. I have read iodine in shellfish is a common trigger for some folks.Try and eat as healthy as you can but I wouldn't worry too much.

#6 thenewshmoo

thenewshmoo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 05:06 AM

For anyone who doesn`t believe that diet makes a difference in terms of acne...go to Google.com and type in 'acne + bread' (without quote marks)

#7 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (BenKweller @ Sep 6 2004, 09:22 PM)

http://www.dietforum.com Go bother people there with your smart ass talk. Maybe you get their attention

#8 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Keats @ Sep 8 2004, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (BenKweller @ Sep 6 2004, 09:22 PM)

http://www.dietforum.com Go bother people there with your smart ass talk. Maybe you get their attention

What the hell does that mean? I'm sorry but food just doesn't cause any acne for almost everyone. The paranoid cause their own acne.

Feel free to count the number of proteins and carbs you eat in an effort to clear yourself -- I'll stick with living.

#9 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:02 PM

I don't count proteins, carbs, nor fats. I refuse to do that and an "acne diet" worked for me tongue.gif

#10 SweetJade1980

SweetJade1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:12 PM

so I typed that above in and I mainly get repeated articles siting Cordain:

Bread linked to acne

A team of researchers, led by Professor Loren Cordain from Colorado State University in Fort Collins, believe that because highly refined breads and cereals are easily digested, the resulting sugar rush created in the body results in high levels of insulin and insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1).

High levels of these chemicals result in an excess of male hormones, which cause the skin to produce large amounts of sebum – the greasy substance beloved by acne-promoting bacteria.

Furthermore, IGF-1 is known to encourage skin cells called keratinocytes to multiply, which is a feature of acne, according to the researchers whose report appears in the December edition of Archives of Dermatology.

Now researchers from RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, are to test this theory by studying 60 teenage boys who will be put on a low-carbohydrate diet for three months to see if it makes a difference to their skin.

“There’s lots of anecdotal evidence,� said lead researcher Neil Mann. “Dermatologists will tell you they have put patients on low-carbohydrate diets and seen improvements. This will be the first controlled study.�

Between 60 and 90 per cent of teenagers in the developed world suffer from acne, however, the condition is almost unheard of in subsistence societies, such as those in Papua New Guinea and the Amazon, Prof Cordain points out.

“The only foods available to these populations are minimally processed foods,� he said. “They don’t know refined sugars or refined grains.�

He added that Inuits in Alaska were acne-free before they were exposed to the Western diet, but now teenagers there suffer from the condition like most other adolescents in the West.

The research is reported in New Scientist magazine.
http://www.discovery...=47162&feature=

My question is, hasn't 3 months passed since December 2002? Where is the study with these boys???

Oh and, why didn't they teach us something this beneficial, yet still cheesy in high school nutrition?
http://www.ase.org.u...1/upd8_acne.php

http://www.ase.org.u...dfs/w1_acne.pdf

#11 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:13 PM

I was referring to Keats, SJ. I have no problem with you and your diet changes. But when I'm called a smart ass for stating an opinion, I must think that person has some issues with themselves that they need to sorta out.

#12 Keats

Keats

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (BenKweller @ Sep 8 2004, 08:00 PM)
I was referring to Keats, SJ. I have no problem with you and your diet changes. But when I'm called a smart ass for stating an opinion, I must think that person has some issues with themselves that they need to sorta out.

No, you act like you are some sort of professional medical doctor who encourages people to eat anything they like, because based on your extensive knowledge and years and years of experience on this issue you concluded that there is absolutely no single link between acne - foods.

If you think you are doing right by spamming the same sentence "there is no link between acne and foods" on every thread all over the time you are wrong. Till now people are still starting new threads with questions concerning links between some sort of foods and acne, so I guess your tactics haven't triggered many people yet..

#13 BenKweller

BenKweller

Veteran Member

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 September 2004 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Keats @ Sep 9 2004, 03:57 AM)
QUOTE (BenKweller @ Sep 8 2004, 08:00 PM)

No, you act like you are some sort of professional medical doctor who encourages people to eat anything they like, because based on your extensive knowledge and years and years of experience on this issue you concluded that there is absolutely no single link between acne - foods.

If you think you are doing right by spamming the same sentence "there is no link between acne and foods" on every thread all over the time you are wrong. Till now people are still starting new threads with questions concerning links between some sort of foods and acne, so I guess your tactics haven't triggered many people yet..

You're paranoid.

I never say I'm a medical doctor; just that the amount of fear of FOOD on this board is hilarious. You guys have to realization that acne is something that just happens and often cannot be controlled by becoming schitzo over what food you ate. That's just bad for your mental health, of course.

My telling people "there's little correlation for most people" is very true and you know it. Most people are not affected by food and the ones that are are usually allergic to a certain type of food. It's not a "tactic;" you are simply threatened that maybe, just MAYBE, you spend most of your time freaking out over something not worth worrying about.