Photo

Kefir, yogurt, the same as drinking milk?

milk probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:24 PM

I am so utterly confused about this. Even if it is grass fed, organic, you milked your own cow/ goat milk, why is it ok?

Doesn't it still have hormones for growing baby cows/ goats not humans? Wouldn't it still mess with our hormones and give us acne?

Then why Is kefir and yogurt so popular for acne sufferers? It has probiotics, but has hormones that cause acne.

#2 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:25 PM

Kind of my similar feelings. Benefits and drawbacks (benefits more when you talk about kefir). I'm not sure if I want those hormones...can't decide. I'm staying away from it for now.

#3 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Sarah. @ Aug 26 2011, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kind of my similar feelings. Benefits and drawbacks (benefits more when you talk about kefir). I'm not sure if I want those hormones...can't decide. I'm staying away from it for now.

Same! I'm sure every now and then when you have a perfect acne free body...but not now. I am going to make coconut milk kefir, but keep my grains multiplying in a dairy solution. I will not drink the dairy one, it's just necessary to keep my grains happy.

Edited by Crystaltheparislover, 26 August 2011 - 03:33 PM.

#4 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

Coconut milk kefir, yeah! Sounds yummy. I might try it too.

Just out of curiosity, where do you get your coconut milk? I only have found the canned version with guar gum. I have this hesitance towards anything coming in a can, but regardless I've heard guar gum can cause digestive problems. Do you make the coconut milk yourself?

#5 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:33 PM

Goat's milk: more similar to human breast milk and thus less problematic. Less casein as well.
Cow's milk: Higher levels of lactose, slightly higher levels of casein as well. More of a negative impact on IGF-1, which can cause inflammation and aggravate acne.
Yogurt: Not necessarily better than milk and definitely not better than kefir. Often times they pasteurize the milk or yogurt so any probiotics it might have will be dead. Not to mention, often times they add a bunch of sugar to yogurt.
Kefir: partially or fully fermented sugar-containing product from either cow's milk, goat's milk or anything that has sugar in it (you can make kefir from just about anything from fruit juice to plain old water with sugar.) The bacteria digests the lactose which is the portion of the milk most people have problems with digesting. If there's no lactose, you can enjoy the benefits of the milk minus the problematic portion. However, there's still the casein to worry about in some cases. I'd just stick with coconut water/milk kefir personally, but either one is still a significant probiotic boost.

Also there's no reason to keep your grains in milk. They'll multiply all the same in coconut water/milk.

#6 darktree

darktree

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (chunkylard @ Aug 26 2011, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Goat's milk: more similar to human breast milk and thus less problematic. Less casein as well.
Cow's milk: Higher levels of lactose, slightly higher levels of casein as well. More of a negative impact on IGF-1, which can cause inflammation and aggravate acne.
Yogurt: Not necessarily better than milk and definitely not better than kefir. Often times they pasteurize the milk or yogurt so any probiotics it might have will be dead. Not to mention, often times they add a bunch of sugar to yogurt.
Kefir: partially or fully fermented sugar-containing product from either cow's milk, goat's milk or anything that has sugar in it (you can make kefir from just about anything from fruit juice to plain old water with sugar.) The bacteria digests the lactose which is the portion of the milk most people have problems with digesting. If there's no lactose, you can enjoy the benefits of the milk minus the problematic portion. However, there's still the casein to worry about in some cases. I'd just stick with coconut water/milk kefir personally, but either one is still a significant probiotic boost.

Also there's no reason to keep your grains in milk. They'll multiply all the same in coconut water/milk.

#7 darktree

darktree

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:07 PM

I avoided dairy for years and years and still had acne after coming off the pill. Decided to try a bit of yoghurt (for probiotics) and had no ill effects. Am now drinking about 2 big glasses of goats milk kefir a day + half a big tub of yoghurt (goats) + loads of good cheese. When I say 'good' cheese - none of that nasty plastic stuff you get in big slabs, most is made from unpasteurised cow's milk. My skin is improving a lot through these probiotics and vit D (v recently added) and has definitely NOT suffered from a sudden intake of dairy.

I'm really skeptical that acne is due to the hormones/antibiotics found in milk but imagine it's due more to something that is deactivated through the fermentation process. So, my advice would be to definitely try more fermented dairy and see how you go. I feel the combination of the calcium (which I must have been really low on after all these years of dairy-free) + being v low on Vit D has been a big contributing factor to my problem as both seem to be helping a LOT in the last week or so.

Edited by darktree, 26 August 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#8 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (Crystaltheparislover @ Aug 26 2011, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Sarah. @ Aug 26 2011, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same! I'm sure every now and then when you have a perfect acne free body...but not now. I am going to make coconut milk kefir, but keep my grains multiplying in a dairy solution. I will not drink the dairy one, it's just necessary to keep my grains happy.

I use the canned kind. The Thai coconut milk brand is the best! It has no preservatives. There are other brands I use when I can't find that brand, they also have no preservatives. Just check the labels. I don't think goya is a very reliable brand, but it's common! I am excited to heal my gut!

I really want to try some raw milk. Maybe it isn't the hormones. Maybe they are ok. I use to think that even if I sucked the milk from the cows teat that it would still be bad cause it has the hormones for the baby animal, but just maybe they aren't bad if they aren't tampered with.

Plus, kefir is amazing stuff!

#9 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE (darktree @ Aug 26 2011, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I avoided dairy for years and years and still had acne after coming off the pill. Decided to try a bit of yoghurt (for probiotics) and had no ill effects. Am now drinking about 2 big glasses of goats milk kefir a day + half a big tub of yoghurt (goats) + loads of good cheese. When I say 'good' cheese - none of that nasty plastic stuff you get in big slabs, most is made from unpasteurised cow's milk. My skin is improving a lot through these probiotics and vit D (v recently added) and has definitely NOT suffered from a sudden intake of dairy.

I'm really skeptical that acne is due to the hormones/antibiotics found in milk but imagine it's due more to something that is deactivated through the fermentation process. So, my advice would be to definitely try more fermented dairy and see how you go. I feel the combination of the calcium (which I must have been really low on after all these years of dairy-free) + being v low on Vit D has been a big contributing factor to my problem as both seem to be helping a LOT in the last week or so.

You have given me the courage to not be afraid of good dairy. I am going to find some goat milk and make goat milk kefir and coconut milk kefir. I hope it cures me in a way! I eat really healthy anyways!

about the vitamin D. Does kefir and goat milk have vitamin d? Does other fish besides salmon have vit d? I know I lack it in the winter! I just went on vacation and was int eh sun everyday and my skin cleared up amazing enough. Shocker, I am back home and my skin is back to spotty. Maybe I just got enough sun, and now my body doesn't have enough vitamin d. Maybe I was so deficient that my body used all the vitamin d I got from those two weeks already.

My skin was amazingly clear and I was eating cake and butter, but ate a lot of fish and water and veggies. I don't even eat meat except fish, or gluten anymore and my skin is back to spotty.

#10 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

Yogurt is overrated as a health food. Avoid it unless you're Michael Westen.

Edited by uncle buck, 27 August 2011 - 01:10 AM.

#11 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE (uncle buck @ Aug 27 2011, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yogurt is overrated as a health food. Avoid it unless you're Michael Westen.

What about kefir? What about goat milk?

#12 uncle buck

uncle buck

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

Haven't tried kefir. I've had goats milk a few times and it seems alright, no reaction. Tastes good.

#13 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE (uncle buck @ Aug 27 2011, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haven't tried kefir. I've had goats milk a few times and it seems alright, no reaction. Tastes good.

Woot! I am going to try it. I am afraid that it's one of those things that after you heal your gut your body can have it again, like bread and gluten, but when you have acne it hurts you. Maybe that is just me being paranoid, but I really want to try it!

Edited by Crystaltheparislover, 27 August 2011 - 08:37 AM.

#14 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (chunkylard @ Aug 26 2011, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really!? They will multiply in coconut milk? Have you tested this? All the websites I have read swear that my kefir grains will die if I keep them in just coconut milk, which makes me sad. Cause I don't have access to raw milk all the time to keep them alive. So, I am worried I will end up killing them, or them not growing cause I can only supply coconut milk.

#15 chunkylard

chunkylard

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

As long as you provide a constant source of food for them and keep them under the right conditions, there's no reason they shouldn't flourish and multiply.

I've had my kefir grains for a while and I generally make kefir from some fruit smoothie or coconut water.

#16 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (chunkylard @ Aug 27 2011, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As long as you provide a constant source of food for them and keep them under the right conditions, there's no reason they shouldn't flourish and multiply.

I've had my kefir grains for a while and I generally make kefir from some fruit smoothie or coconut water.

That is great news! I ordered milk kefir grains for my coconut milk! I am glad I won't have to spend money buying milk that I won't be consuming! Thank you so much!

That fruit kefir sounds pretty good! I might invest in some water kefir grains for that! I have heard that I can convert my milk kefir grains to water kefir! I thought dairy kefir needed lactose and such! I guess not! super awesome!

#17 Balance Bird

Balance Bird

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:21 PM

**bump**

#18 OneTwoPassIt

OneTwoPassIt

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:44 PM

I've heard nothing but good things about kefir and yoghurt but from personal experience it breaks my scalp out with folliculitis. Be careful with it.