Photo

2 Years Later: Re-Trying A Regimen That Previously Worked For Me!

vegetarian makeup health manuka natural

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#21 heitea

heitea

Smile! It makes you beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 20
About Me

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (James Small @ Aug 27 2011, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello! I'm so glad your skin is improving!! I went on a strict diet a few months ago and saw a dramatic decrease with the spots I was getting - I was roughly 80% clear after a few weeks. My biggest problem was with cutting out sugary foods. Wheat and milk I was fine with cutting out, but because I was cutting out products I'd eaten my whole life I was so hungry all the time and of course that is where sugery cravings came in. I'll be following your blog, I hope it all goes ok biggrin.gif

What sort of things are you having a hard time cutting out that you're used to eating? You have to make sure you're eating calories that full you up. You don't have to get rid of wheat entirely-- brown grains are good for you, in moderation. You should try out eating brown rice and wheat breads. Never, ever white bread or white grains.

Thanks for following my progress! Hope yours goes well, too!

#22 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2011 - 03:26 PM

So, Day 10! haha. My face is wonderful. I know I haven't posted a picture everyday like before (I'm going to do once a week now), but my skin hasn't been this clear in such a long time. And not only is it clear, it's SO SOFT. I know I keep saying that, but aahhh it feels so good. lol

So, the Manuka Honey is going really well. It's got a medicinal smell that's interesting, but it has little tiny microexfoliators in it that I needed. biggrin.gif I'm still using the tea tree oil. All's well!

I'm back at college, so alcohol is being re-introduced to my diet...haha. I haven't seen any side effects of it, so yay! (But I've also only been taking shots...hahaha. No mixed drinks...No beer.) Sorry, I realize alcohol isn't healthy, but I'm allowed and I want to go out with my friends. lol

I'm still continuing with my workouts! tongue.gif Yeaaah! I'm proud of that.

Also, eating well is becoming truly second nature now. Like, I don't find it hard to turn down a slice of cake or a candy bar at all. I just ask myself: "Is this even worth it? Yeah it tastes good, but do I want to hurt my health just for a fleeting moment?" The answer is always no. smile.gif

K, so, like I said, open to questions. Don't be afraid to ask.

Skin Status: 99% clear of pimples, and just a tiny little bit of the red marks from fading ones.

Edited by heitea, 28 August 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#23 FightingScars

FightingScars

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:22 PM

I just have a small question for your blog....
Do you think the decrease in your acne is because you are simply growing out of it? You did point out that you are 21, now a senior in college, so maybe your acne has decided to chill out a bit as opposed to your teen years and early college years. Right now, I"m a freshmen in college and my acne is still kind of stubborn....

#24 alexaaa

alexaaa

=)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 August 2011 - 04:51 PM

yay I'm glad things are still going good. I saw your picture with makeup and your skin looked flawless! What foundation/concealer do you use? And do you use a primer or finishing powder?

#25 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (FightingScars @ Aug 28 2011, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just have a small question for your blog....
Do you think the decrease in your acne is because you are simply growing out of it? You did point out that you are 21, now a senior in college, so maybe your acne has decided to chill out a bit as opposed to your teen years and early college years. Right now, I"m a freshmen in college and my acne is still kind of stubborn....

Fighting, I really don't think I'm just growing out of it. It's changed DRAMATICALLY in one week, and that week was the week that I decided to do something about it. I actually sort of was skeptical at first, and thought that maybe I was growing out of it, but that's just not realistic. One thing I have grown out of is picking at my skin...I think just that got me half way there in itself. biggrin.gif

Good luck...I know, it sucks having problem skin in high school and college...

alexaaa: yay I'm glad things are still going good. I saw your picture with makeup and your skin looked flawless! What foundation/concealer do you use? And do you use a primer or finishing powder?

Alexa, thanks biggrin.gif I use Covergirl Natureluxe, which is great because it has cucumber in it. I used to use Clinique Even Better Foundation, but that left me really greasy. Then I put Neutrogena Coverstick concealer on spots, and I use mineral powder from Neutrogena as a setting powder. biggrin.gif No primer-- just wash my face with Manuka honey and then dab some tea tree oil, then do my makeup. Pretty simple. Make sure, when using any concealer, that it's not too light, or else it will just highlight your spots. Have fun with it! Make up is fun, it's like creating a piece of art on your face every morning! lol biggrin.gif

#26 alexaaa

alexaaa

=)

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (heitea @ Aug 29 2011, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alexa, thanks biggrin.gif I use Covergirl Natureluxe, which is great because it has cucumber in it. I used to use Clinique Even Better Foundation, but that left me really greasy. Then I put Neutrogena Coverstick concealer on spots, and I use mineral powder from Neutrogena as a setting powder. biggrin.gif No primer-- just wash my face with Manuka honey and then dab some tea tree oil, then do my makeup. Pretty simple. Make sure, when using any concealer, that it's not too light, or else it will just highlight your spots. Have fun with it! Make up is fun, it's like creating a piece of art on your face every morning! lol biggrin.gif

Is the coverage good for Natureluxe? And does it look natural? I've seen the commercials and have been curious to try it. I used to use Cover Girl "clean" liquid makeup, which was anything but clean! I liked the full coverage but HATED how greasy and heavy it was. It literally felt like a mask on my face! So gross. Not to mention it broke me out, but that's not saying much since every foundation I've ever tried has been bad for my skin.. I'm cursed eusa_boohoo.gif

But I agree, I love makeup! Doing my makeup is my favorite part of getting ready and I always watch beauty gurus on YouTube! Lol

#27 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:55 AM

Alexa,

The coverage is good. It's not like, really really opaque, which makes it more natural looking than other makeup. Used in combination with concealer, it's my favorite makeup yet! It feels light on the skin, which is really important to me. I hate being able to feel the makeup on my face. Ick. haha.

I always watch youtube makeup videos too! Have you ever watched Kandee's Makeup tutorials? You should look them up. They're fun! haha tongue.gif

#28 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Hey ya'll!

Okay, we're on Day 13! I've not posted since Day 10 because class has started back up! But, just a quick update on how it's all going...

I'm actually getting used to my schedule, and my sleep has been messed up, so I haven't gone for a run in two days. Yick. I feel gross.

But nothing's changed! I'm still slowly improving. Although, I didn't take my Flax Seed one day, and I got a little spot. So, that could have been the reason.

Anyway, still doing the same regimen and everything. tongue.gif Need to go to the gym though! That's my goal for tonight. tongue.gif haha Quick Update: I did go to the gym! Go me!]

-Heidi

Edited by heitea, 04 September 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#29 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2011 - 12:59 PM

Hi!!!

DAY 15!
I think I've noticed an interesting trend...the two days in which I haven't taken my flax seed oil and B12, I've gotten little, minor spots. All the other days, I've been fine and no new spots show up. Connection? Not sure. But! I think it's true...flax seed, or anything with Omega 3's, helps. Try it out!

The next day, after taking my flax seed and B12, my little spot seemed to heal almost immediately. It's really interesting.

#30 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

Hey there!

Okay, so I've not been posting that much lately. This is because I'm clear of acne and I don't really have to think about it at all...

Guys, being healthy is all it takes. You just need to have the willpower to make that decision. Do what's good for your body, your soul, and your mind. You will see results. People should live this way, anyway...

So, go for that run, eat that fruit, DON'T eat that bag of chips...it feels good in the long run, I promise. biggrin.gif

I'll keep posting periodically-- adding a new picture every so often.

Good luck everyone! If you have questions, let me know. smile.gif

#31 RockingRedhead

RockingRedhead

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

hi heitea,
congratas on finding something that works! I too have found that flax seed oil and exercise REALLY helps. I'm just starting a super b complex supplement so hopefully that will help too. I love my natureluxe foundation too!! I use it as concealer as necessary so it has lasted a really long time. It's the best drugstore foundation I've ever used. covergirl tests on animals, though, so I prob won't buy it again. hopefully I will be clear by the time I run out! :P

keep us updated with progress and pics! :)

#32 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

OH! I had no idea Covergirl tested on animals! Geez! Well, never buying their products ever again... Thanks! :D

Love flax seed oil AND exercising! :D Good luck with the B complex! That's really great for your health, too! :D :D

#33 natalie_xox

natalie_xox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:55 AM

What aloe vera do you use? I've been using Aubrey Organics Pure aloe vera but i think the vitamin e in it may be clogging me =\ It really helps with the redness though.

Thanks!

#34 Peony7

Peony7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:39 PM

OH! I had no idea Covergirl tested on animals! Geez! Well, never buying their products ever again... Thanks! Posted Image

Love flax seed oil AND exercising! Posted Image Good luck with the B complex! That's really great for your health, too! Posted Image Posted Image

Hiya I am starting to look at the way I eat as well so your log is interesting for me. One thing I wanted to ask was why you take flax seed oil? Years ago I took this and I am pretty sure it reduced the oil on my skin, is this what you have noticed and do you know the reason for it? Many thanks x

#35 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hey! So, I'm sort of starting over now...

I fell of the wagon, unfortunately... I stopped taking my supplements, stopped working out as much and it all went to crap. BUT! I'm re-starting. Actually, this is kind of neat because now I can see if it'll all work a second time. So, that's a good thing, right?

Here's what I'm doing NOW:
  • Still a vegetarian
  • Cutting dairy, gluten, and refined sugars (white bread, candy, etc) out
  • Taking a daily women's multivitamin, a B12 vitamin, and a flax seed oil capsule (I KNOW-- gelatin, ew, gross. Oh well...)
  • Exercising at least 3x a week (I'll up that number later-- gotta finish student teaching first)
  • Drinking more water (not a specific amount, just MORE)
Let's see how this works out :P I'll start posting pictures soonish. My gallery shows my previous success, but for some reason, all the old comments got deleted. Whatever. haha.

-Heidi

#36 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Manuka honey seems to give me blackheads and breakouts....even when just using it as a scrub...
Im using 100 percent tea tree oil, just dabbing it on the individual spots.
Hope its working for you...do u dilute the tto?

#37 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Hey therrrreee...

So, I've returned to this thread two years after I got clear for the first time. My results were so good. Why would I ever stop what I was doing?

I'm going back to my "natural" self. I was using Paula's Choice products for a while and they were doing a lot of good. The BAD was that they're so expensive!! I can't keep that up! So, what I'm going to do is:

Do ALMOST exactly what I was doing before to replicate the results! I read that I wasn't picking at all. That's awesome.

So here's what I'm going to do (haha, does this sound familiar?)

-No WHITE grains (white rice, white bread, plain white sugar)

-Lots of veggies & fruits & nuts

-Wash my face with (right now) local honey

-Apply lemon juice (this is new to the regimen that I was doing before)

-NO PICKING/TOUCHING/SQUEEZING!!

-Moisturize with coconut oil (this is new as well!)

-Workout everyday (1 day off a week tongue.png )

*Note: I'm also not going to take any supplements. I don't like them. I'd rather get what I need through food.

Also, it seems that POSITIVITY is key! biggrin.png Gotta maintain my positive attitude. Gotta get off my booty and do the things I want to. Gotta keep my mind off of acne smile.png

Edited by heitea, 30 May 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#38 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

DAY 1 of RETEST:

This morning, I washed my face with some cleanser from Paula's Choice. That's ending today. No more of that cleanser. I'll be washing my face with honey now. I put benzoyl peroxide on my active zits (WHAT. WHY DID I DO THIS?!) Then I moisturized with coconut oil and threw on some makeup quickly. Then my boyfriend went to work so I washed my makeup off and did a honey/lemon/cinnamon/nutmeg mask for a half hour. I washed that off, put on some more coconut oil and put on my makeup.

I felt good about myself today. I feel fit and healthy and I like that my hair has grown out enough to put into a ponytail.

I ate SOO MANY VEGGIES today. :) I'm on a "diet" but what the heck? Why can't I take the "old me's" advice and just live and not obsess about food? I'm going to a music festival in a couple weeks and I wanted to look awesome for that. But...I need to not over analyze my diet. I'm hungry, dangit, so I'm gonna eat!

I've been running a lot lately because I'm readying myself for the Army Physical Fitness Test. My arm muscles have grown substantially due to all the push-ups. I feel healthy but also a little stressed because it's difficult applying for Officer Candidate School in the US Army all while teaching the young'ns in a school. It's summertime now so I can relax a little. I'll probably try out some yoga tomorrow while my boyfriend's at work. :)

I've also been able to control my picking. I have a log solely about picking on this site because it's such a problem for me. I need to stop telling myself that it's okay to pick. It's NOT a solution to the problem.

SO, TO CONCLUDE:
-Stopping Paula's Choice cleanser, adding honey as cleanser

-Adding coconut oil to regimen

-Removing benzoyl peroxide from regimen/adding tea tree oil to replace it

-Continuing to work out on a regular basis

-Sitting in the sunshine on a regular basis/Taking a Vitamin D supplement if there's no sun

-Continuing to work on picking

-Eating healthy, but not obsessing

-Staying positive :)

#39 heitea

heitea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

DAY 2 (Morning):

Well, hm...it looks as though it's already beginning to work. haha

Last night, I washed my face with a washcloth to remove my makeup. Then I mixed a bit of lemon juice (because I had some extra lemons lying around) and some honey (not Manuka Honey, yet) and "washed" my face with that. After rinsing it off, I applied tea tree oil to any problem spots I had. I had a couple spots on my left chin/mouth area that I messed with (boo, need to stop touching my face!!)

Then I went to bed. smile.png

This morning, when I woke up, 3 out of 4 spots that I messed with were completely flat (but still a little red). My skin feels SO soft, and my old red marks continue to fade.

Here's what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: Whole wheat toast with coconut oil, honey, and cinnamon

Coffee with cream and cinnamon (I love cinnamon haha)

Snack: Almonds and an apple

Lunch: Sauteed peppers (red, orange and yellow) in olive oil and garlic

Snack: Coffee and a bite of strawberry shortcake (they were giving out free samples at the coffee shop!!)

Pickled okra (2)

Dinner: Sauteed onions, tomatoes, and spinach in olive oil and garlic

**Walk with the dogs and workout**

Snack: Protein bar and a few almonds

Edited by heitea, 31 May 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#40 LewisS

LewisS

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

I love the idea of going all natural. I'ts definitely something I want to do in the future.

I really want to try the 'no-poo' method for hair too. You just use a baking soda/water mixture for a shampoo and an ACV/water mixture for conditioning.

When I get my diet under control, I'll definitely hunt down some good natural products. OTC ones are just way too expensive. 

Hope it works as well as it did the first time! :)