Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best non-irritating, effective treatment?

4 posts in this topic

I've tried BP, Salicylic Acid and so on and I find them too irritating and I don't like how BP is supposed to alter the skin. I believe my acne is gradually improving with age (I am 22) and I just want something that will aid this and prevent breakouts while I am improving - and not something that may hinder this process like BP.

What can people suggest for something:

- That is effective at preventing and treating breakouts.

- Isn't irritating, doesn't cause redness and won't alter the skin or prevent natural improvement.

- Doesn't do any of this gets worse before it gets better stuff - so unlikely to cause a major 'initial breakout'.

Can't prevent initial breakouts, because it's not the treatment that usually induces the breakout, but just your skin's natural healing process. This process is individual to everyone. Especially if you have acne waiting under the skin, breakouts will still keep coming for a while.

A moisturizer with 95% carrier oil and 5% essential oil (like tea tree oil, peppermint, geranium and lavender, which all happen to be the specific essential oils meant to target acne. I like lemon a lot too). It's very non-irritating and has minimal initial breakout from my experience.

Cleanse with some gentle and non-sudsing. That works for me the best. I currently cleanse with oatmeal, and I love it. The natural saponins in the oats gently cleanse the skin while not destroying the lipid layer. The oat's beta glucans have also been studied to penetrate into the dermis into the stratum corneum, while the other components of oats are soothing and anti-inflammatory.

:)

Thanks for your advice, but I am probably more looking for a gel-like treatment product as opposed to a moisturiser/cleanser which I already have and work quite well.

Lemon is irritating to the skin.

Think about it this way, would you put raw lemon juice on your face? How would you think it feels?

Also lavender is irritating as well.

Even tough you say you have acne, not rosacea, I think it's better to avoid the irritating agents a rosacea sufferer would avoid. See here:

You can also find a common list of irritants you should avoid in your cosmetics here:

[edit - link doesn't work]

Common Irritating Ingredients to Avoid

SD Alcohol (also known as denatured alcohol)

Ammonia

Arnica

Balm mint

Balsam

Benzalkonium chloride

Benzyl alcohol

Bergamot

Camphor

Cinnamon

Citrus juices and oils

Clove

Clover blossom