Photo

Best non-irritating, effective treatment?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Azula

Azula

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:58 AM

I've tried BP, Salicylic Acid and so on and I find them too irritating and I don't like how BP is supposed to alter the skin. I believe my acne is gradually improving with age (I am 22) and I just want something that will aid this and prevent breakouts while I am improving - and not something that may hinder this process like BP.

What can people suggest for something:

- That is effective at preventing and treating breakouts.
- Isn't irritating, doesn't cause redness and won't alter the skin or prevent natural improvement.
- Doesn't do any of this gets worse before it gets better stuff - so unlikely to cause a major 'initial breakout'.

Edited by Azula, 20 August 2011 - 12:11 PM.

#2 Vanbelle

Vanbelle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

Can't prevent initial breakouts, because it's not the treatment that usually induces the breakout, but just your skin's natural healing process. This process is individual to everyone. Especially if you have acne waiting under the skin, breakouts will still keep coming for a while.

A moisturizer with 95% carrier oil and 5% essential oil (like tea tree oil, peppermint, geranium and lavender, which all happen to be the specific essential oils meant to target acne. I like lemon a lot too). It's very non-irritating and has minimal initial breakout from my experience.

Cleanse with some gentle and non-sudsing. That works for me the best. I currently cleanse with oatmeal, and I love it. The natural saponins in the oats gently cleanse the skin while not destroying the lipid layer. The oat's beta glucans have also been studied to penetrate into the dermis into the stratum corneum, while the other components of oats are soothing and anti-inflammatory.

smile.gif

Edited by Sarah., 20 August 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#3 Azula

Azula

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for your advice, but I am probably more looking for a gel-like treatment product as opposed to a moisturiser/cleanser which I already have and work quite well.

#4 dianat1357

dianat1357

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Lemon is irritating to the skin.
Think about it this way, would you put raw lemon juice on your face? How would you think it feels?
Also lavender is irritating as well.
Even tough you say you have acne, not rosacea, I think it's better to avoid the irritating agents a rosacea sufferer would avoid. See here:
You can also find a common list of irritants you should avoid in your cosmetics here:

[edit - link doesn't work]
Common Irritating Ingredients to Avoid
SD Alcohol (also known as denatured alcohol)
Ammonia
Arnica
Balm mint
Balsam
Benzalkonium chloride
Benzyl alcohol
Bergamot
Camphor
Cinnamon
Citrus juices and oils
Clove
Clover blossom
Coriander
Essential oils
Ethanol
Eucalyptus
Eugenol
Fennel
Fennel oil
Fir needle
Fragrance
Geranium
Grapefruit
Horsetail Isoeugenol
Lavender
Lemon
Lemongrass
Lime
Linalool
Marjoram
Melissa (lemon balm)
Menthol
Menthoxypropanediol
Menthyl Acetate
Mint
Oak bark
Orange
Papaya
Peppermint
Phenol
Sandalwood oil
Sodium C14-16 olefin sulfate
Sodium lauryl sulfate
TEA-lauryl sulfate
Thyme
Wintergreen
Witch hazel
Ylang-ylang

Edited by dianat1357, 31 August 2011 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users