41 replies to this topic

#21 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

Yoga, meditation. vegetable juice, exercise all helps to reduce stress. Then there are amino acids like GABA from sprouted brown rice and L-theanine from green tea reduces stress as well.

#22 sufferingwithacne

sufferingwithacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

bump

#23 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:48 PM

Yeah this is a good thread.  Its something we all need to be reminded of, stress if killer for all not just acne.  Funny because Im in the middle of  A New Earth right now by Tolle, I read Power of Now and it was one of if not the best book Ive ever read, and was something that can help everyone.  We all deal with much psychological stress especially western people.  We live in a robot world where everyone is on auto pilot consumed in their thoughts.  Need to unprogram yourself and live in the now, outside of ego, bring peace back into your life.  Moment by moment.  Yoga/stretching/meditation are all life changers no doubt.  

#24 Sum1killme

Sum1killme

Resurrected Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

This is weird cause i just saw a documentary the other day which mentions how diseases are caused by stress which doesn't leave the body and manifests itself to a particular organ in the body or shows up as a tumor,ulcer ect. maby for us it shows in our face? here is the documentary.

#25 a.p.

a.p.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Mind over matter. The mind is a powerful thing

Edited by a.p., 01 June 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#26 freja

freja

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Fantasy, art, food, baking, folk music, unicorns, ferrets, cats, ecology and Paganism, among other things.

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Well, if this is true then I'm screwed! lol.gif I suffer from random panic and anxiety attacks out of absolutely nowhere. I can be in deep dreamless sleep and wake up suddenly with one, feeling as if my heart is being crushed and my skin is coming off and my brain is being electrocuted (It literally feels like I'm being zapped, it's bizzare and scary.) The flight/flight stress response in my brain is really whacked out .. benzos help a little but I don't like taking them very much, they make me dependent and numb.

I've attempted many times to address the root causes, I keep a journal and I'm a highly introspective person. I know just exactly where most of my mental problem areas *are* .. but I have no idea how to exercise them from my mind. Therapy is out of reach for me because of financial reasons. sad.png Meditation is difficult for me because I have OCD and I also feel like I have to constantly move around doing something. Whenever I try to meditate, I sometimes can sit there for an hour just suffering and unable to let those thoughts go. I end up feeling worse. I know there's probably a technique to let thoughts go, I just haven't discovered it. I don't really worry much about stuff in general, besides the need to be doing something. I think I don't like being alone with my thoughts, so I DO STUFF to kind of evade them. On the other hand I sort of live in my head too much. I'm a mess!

The only thing I don't like about this idea is that there is a similar strain of thought that says all diseases are really an outward expression of internal negative thoughts and emotions. The problem with this is that it places all the blame on the victim and not the disease itself. I don't really buy that thoughts control absolutely everything. I think they can have an effect, but I seriously doubt you can "happy thought" your way out of cancer, for example. Victim blaming sucks and should go away and never come back.

That said I'm happy your skin is better now and that everything has worked out, regardless of how it happened.

Edited by freja, 04 June 2013 - 06:26 PM.

tumblr_mnwcm10dXd1qc1ptao1_500edited.jpg

#27 mindfulliving

mindfulliving

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:45 PM

I'm a believer of this too (: ever since I started working my skin started breaking out a lot more! And I do feel.v stressed up at work. But now, I'll try to remind myself to relax more and let go

#28 letitbetoday

letitbetoday

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

The point from OP's post is so simple and easy people are missing it. Most of us have preconceived ideas and beliefs that filter what we read and it creates some misunderstanding. In most societies there is a problem-solution mindset. Which is great for everything except when it comes to dealing with your emotions and feelings.

When talking about self-acceptance, seen from the problem-solution mindset, people categorize self-acceptance as a solution. However, even if it is the solution, solutions are seen as something that needs to be worked on. That's the very paradox of self-acceptance. If you strive for self-acceptance, then you are not accepting yourself because if you truly did accept yourself you wouldn't be striving towards self-acceptance if that makes any sense. 

Therefore, all you have to do in order to accept yourself is absolutely nothing. 

We are so used to complex answers that when something is very simple we completely miss it. 

Feelings are not a problem to be solved, feelings are there to be felt. Treating feelings as a problem to be solved creates stress and stress can promote acne. The emotions and feelings themselves, however, never cause acne. That's why you have emotionally unstable people with completely clear skin. 

Basically, all you gotta do is nothing. The solution is no solution. Now that all sounds a little paradoxical but only because I'm explaining it from a problem-solution mindset. That very mindset has to be stopped being used to deal with our emotional lives. 

I hardly talked about the acne aspect but if you understand what I'm talking about, and start feeling your feelings instead of trying to solve them, your acne should be disappearing. 

The medical system we have right now is amazing with treating accidents and acute diseases. (I'm not talking about the politics of it, just purely the medical aspect.) 

However, modern medicine can't cure acne sufferers except through some very dangerous drug. And even then the acne might come back. This tells us that acne might not be a purely physical problem. There are people that have perfect diets, exercise regularly with good sleeping patterns. They keep themselves very clean and yet still have acne. So the cause of acne is probably something else. 

OP said, and I wholeheartedly agree through my own experience, that suppressing your emotions causes acne. Specifically, suppressing the emotion of not being good enough. The solution is to feel your emotions. Some people mistake that and think it means you have to "express" your emotion such as anger by throwing something against a wall or punching a pillow. But anger is funnily enough an emotion that suppresses other emotions. For example, someone calls you an idiot. You are hurt by it and instead of feeling your feeling of being hurt, you call that person a super dumb idiot in order to feel better about yourself so you don't have to face the feeling of being hurt. 

If you were to do it correctly and healthily, you would feel your all your emotions instead of just reacting to do them in a suppressing way. 

#29 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

This is a very interesting thread...and has some ideas I've pondered for a long time.  However I'm worried about the concept of blaming acne totally on repressed psychological issues.  This ignores decades of research, understanding of genetics and how the body works. 

If someone has a genetic predisposition to acne (sensitivity to androgens, pores that don't shed properly, etc.) then emotional stress can cause acne flare-ups.  Stress initiates a series of reactions that can result in acne --- hormonal reactions cause excess oil which blocks pores, leading to bacteria overgrowth, inflammation and infection (pimples, cysts, etc). 

Someone who does not have a genetic predisposition to acne but is under stress does not get acne.  Their skin may get more oily but their pores don't plug up, their skin does not react to excess androgens and it is not affected by excess bacteria.  This is simply not an issue for them.  Stress may affect their bodies in other ways but not on their outer skin.

Research shows that a certain percentage of the population is predisposed to acne.  If these people do things that help mediate stress (know themselves, accept themselves, meditate, exercise, do yoga, etc.) --- then their acne may be less.  Why?  Because they are releasing less stress hormones which means that eventhough their pores block up easily and they are sensitive to androgens there are less androgens floating around and less oil being excreted to block pores.  Certainly helpful.

This is wonderful but for many acne sufferers it is not eneough.  They breakout even if they are totally in touch with themselves and doing everything within their power to alleviate stress.  Their pores block up even if there is just a little bit of excess oil, they are incredibly sensitive to androgens and acne bacteria causes terrible inflammation.  Their skin reacts easily to everything which results in more blocked pores.  These people need the help of medications to keep pores open, to reduce reaction to androgens, and to kill acne bacteria.

Yes, they are a very small percentage of the population but I'm one of them.  I know this because I studied meditation for years, did yoga, was in touch with my emotional baggage, worked on self, etc. but still broke out.  Medications help me --- along with stress reduction.  It works together as a package, addressing the whole self.

I share all this because it worries me that some people may blame their acne on their inability to deal with stress...or they may think there is something terribly wrong with them because their acne still doesn't go away even when they get in touch with repressed truama or negative emotions.  The truth may be that they have to accept that if they want clear skin they will have to take medications, in addition to good diet and stress reduction. 

Status - 99.9% clear

Morning - Panoxyl 4 Cleanser (BP), Cleocin-T, DML Lotion, Physician's Formula SPF 30 Mineral Pressed Powder, Spiro 100 mg

Night - Cetaphil Antibacterial Bar, DML Lotion

Monthly - Professional microdermabrasion

Diet - Whole high nutrient unprocessed foods.  Avoid oils, dairy, sugars, bread, nuts, alcohol, caffeine, and fermented foods.

Supplements - Opti l-zinc, citrical + D3

Daily - Walk, breath deeply, meditate and do yoga daily, wear hats for sun protection 

#30 Andrei11

Andrei11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

Ever since I started documenting myself about acne, after being scammed by dermatologists, I understand more and more how so many people have acne and why is so hard to cure it, how Accutane makes more than 1 billion $/year and how dermatologists get away with it. It's our fault. We just believe everything they say. We believe what other acne sufferers say about what is good/wrong for them and we forget that every one of us is different. In the last months I got almost scared of what ineptitudes I could read on forums about acne, there's no wonder why those scum dermatologists fool people and steal their money.

There's millions of people who grew up being stressed constantly, poor people, abused by parents, beaten, raped, bullied, forced being slaves, working in horrible conditions and have flawless skin. And then there's people who had phenomenal lives and families growing up and still develop acne.

If we have 100.000 persons suffering of the same form of acne, equally stressed, why 50.000 of them cure their acne and the others don't? Why some of them are cured at 19 years old and others at 27? What's changing in their bodies and why sooner or later? Why acne just stops for some of us without any medicine? Nobody is going to answer these questions and you know why? For that over 1 billion $/year. For all those dermatologist visits and stupid antibiotics. For all the BP we burn our faces with. For stupid amounts of money, simple as that, nobody cares about us.

You have to accept yourself? Accept your acne? Ok, tell this to them:

98.jpg

med_gallery_9283_2529_11393.jpg

cystic+acne.jpeg

Nodulocystic+acne+treatment..jpg

Go ahead, embrace your acne. Go ahead and live a normal life, go meeting boys and girls, go to parties, pool, beach etc. There's nothing wrong with you, except you have HELL on your face. No big deal.

I refuse to believe that acne is a disease that can't be cured, if this is what it is being tried out, not treating it's symptomes with band-aids.

Don't you find it odd that dermatologists don't ask for full sets of analysis? Like blood tests, bacteria, fungus, parasites, endocrine, testosterone, DHEAS, estradiol, prolactin, LH/FSH ratio and many others tests for kidneys, liver, stomach, allergies etc., VISIA too? No dermatologist asked me for these, I had to find it myself on the internet. And now I feel sorry I just blindly trusted those scums and wasted time and money on useless antibiotics and creams, after I refused to take the Accutane they were recommending it to me within 2 minutes of my appointment.

I'm sorry for this long post but this is my view on things after having acne for 5 years and being scammed by dermatologists. I can't wait to raise enough money and go to a doctor who actually cares for people and is willing to help me cure my acne in the right way, by finding out exactly why I have it. Peace out.

#31 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Are those photos of you? 

Status - 99.9% clear

Morning - Panoxyl 4 Cleanser (BP), Cleocin-T, DML Lotion, Physician's Formula SPF 30 Mineral Pressed Powder, Spiro 100 mg

Diet - Whole high nutrient unprocessed foods.  Avoid oils, dairy, sugars, bread, nuts, alcohol, caffeine, and fermented foods.

Daily - Walk, breath deeply, meditate and do yoga daily, wear hats for sun protection 

#32 Andrei11

Andrei11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:03 AM

No, random photos on google.

#33 cvd

cvd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:25 AM

I like what you are saying about accepting yourself...but if you have serious acne like the photos then why not get some help?  And for the record...dermatologists are not money grabbing scumbags...sorry.  There are always some rotten apples in any profession but the real reason people become doctors or counselors, etc is because they want to help people.  My brother is a surgeon and he and I have talked about this strange way of thinking...that doctors are in it just for the $$.  Yes, it is nice to make good money but my brother says that working with patients can be hard.  They don't follow through with prescribed treatments and then blame the doctor when they get less than desired results.  Or they misuse medications which makes things worse.  This happens often.  Personally I know this to be true because when younger I would often stop my meds when my skin got clearer...and then of course it got worse and I blamed the derm.  I firmly believe that there is such a big industry for acne treatments because of two reasons...increased media exposure of models with "perfect" skin that has in fact been airbrushed and because our diets have gone to hell.  People now expect perfect skin in self and others and this sets up a terrible cycle of stress and unrealistic expectation.  Our diets now consist of prepackaged junk with terrible oils that inflame the gut and skin. 

The way to clearer skin is to clean up the diet (eat whole foods, avoid processed oils and margarines, avoid hormone laden dairy products, etc.), remind yourself that models and actors are airbrushed, and try to create a life of joy and less stress.  And also follow through with your derm's recommendations...to the letter.  If it is not working then communicate this.  Sometimes with resistant acne it takes time to get a regime that works. 

That's how it was for me.  I had serious cystic acne and very sensitive skin easily inflammed by anything.  It took experimenting to find a good regime.  You have to stick with it and work with your derm for the best results.  Nothing is instantaneous...especially if you have been dealing with it for a long time!

Status - 99.9% clear

#34 Andrei11

Andrei11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

Well, I don't know if english is your first language, but if it is, wow. I didn't say people should accept themselves with acne, I told exactly the opposite. Acne is hell, an awful and ugly disease. How you got the idea that I didn't get help? Yes, dermatologists treating acne are almost all of them scumbags and very rarely you will find someone who actually knows what is doing. I've been seen by 5 different dermatologists and spoke with 4 others. You know, your brother can f**k things up too and blame it on his patients, just so you know. I've respected the treatments I got from those 5 dermatologists on the dot. Different antibiotics taken at the same hour, everyday. Itching, burning, tickling, ugly smealing creams applied every single day of my treatment. I've wasted time, money, happiness on some incompetents sick gamble. Yes, they are incompetents. I've heard things that I couldn't believe sometimes. Stuff like, you're 22 yo, your body can't produce acne no more. And I asked, so what do I have on my face? Well, acne. I've asked a dermatologist some months ago, so in the year 2013, what does she think about laser treatments. And she said: We have to take care of your acne first and then take care of the scars, and I said, no, laser treatments for acne and she said such things don't exist. And many other things. So don't tell me it's my fault and working with patients can be hard. I have a lot of stories about a bad dentist as well.

All these conclusions I got after 5 years of having acne and being seen by different dermatologists and respecting different treatments. The only mistake I made it was trusting them and not researching the Internet for such a long time. After reading hundreds and hundreds of pages about acne and finding a doctor in my city that actually knows how to cure acne, I realised that I've been scammed by all those doctors and unfortunately there is nothing I can do to at least get my money back so I wouldn't have to raise money for a new treatment, with this doctor that explained me everything I have to know about acne and how it has to be cured. None of the 5 dermatologists that have seen me, or those 4 I spoke too, asked me for tests. They just looked at my face, with the naked eye, for seconds and then prescribed something. To begin with, I was supposed to have my full body tested, I've copy/pasted it in this forum a lot of times. Specific tests for acne, not just blood tests, bacteria, fungus, parasites, endocrine, testosterone, DHEAS, estradiol, prolactin, LH/FSH ratio and many others tests for kidneys, liver, stomach, allergies etc. + VISIA. How were those 5 derm. supposed to know why I have acne if they didn't had me tested? How would they possibly know if I have a food intolerence, if I have an allergy? Maybe I have some parasite in my stomach or my throat. Maybe I have a liver disease that causes me acne. There's people with sever acne who were prescribed antibiotics and had an ovarian tumor that was the cause of their acne. People who had Demodex as a root cause of their acne. People with protein deficiency causing their acne. But my dermatologists didn't know that and just recommended me Accutane. And they should have known all these things if they want to help people as you say they do.

#35 Monicalovesben

Monicalovesben

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:23 AM

Well, I don't know if english is your first language, but if it is, wow. I didn't say people should accept themselves with acne, I told exactly the opposite. Acne is hell, an awful and ugly disease. How you got the idea that I didn't get help? Yes, dermatologists treating acne are almost all of them scumbags and very rarely you will find someone who actually knows what is doing. I've been seen by 5 different dermatologists and spoke with 4 others. You know, your brother can f**k things up too and blame it on his patients, just so you know. I've respected the treatments I got from those 5 dermatologists on the dot. Different antibiotics taken at the same hour, everyday. Itching, burning, tickling, ugly smealing creams applied every single day of my treatment. I've wasted time, money, happiness on some incompetents sick gamble. Yes, they are incompetents. I've heard things that I couldn't believe sometimes. Stuff like, you're 22 yo, your body can't produce acne no more. And I asked, so what do I have on my face? Well, acne. I've asked a dermatologist some months ago, so in the year 2013, what does she think about laser treatments. And she said: We have to take care of your acne first and then take care of the scars, and I said, no, laser treatments for acne and she said such things don't exist. And many other things. So don't tell me it's my fault and working with patients can be hard. I have a lot of stories about a bad dentist as well.

All these conclusions I got after 5 years of having acne and being seen by different dermatologists and respecting different treatments. The only mistake I made it was trusting them and not researching the Internet for such a long time. After reading hundreds and hundreds of pages about acne and finding a doctor in my city that actually knows how to cure acne, I realised that I've been scammed by all those doctors and unfortunately there is nothing I can do to at least get my money back so I wouldn't have to raise money for a new treatment, with this doctor that explained me everything I have to know about acne and how it has to be cured. None of the 5 dermatologists that have seen me, or those 4 I spoke too, asked me for tests. They just looked at my face, with the naked eye, for seconds and then prescribed something. To begin with, I was supposed to have my full body tested, I've copy/pasted it in this forum a lot of times. Specific tests for acne, not just blood tests, bacteria, fungus, parasites, endocrine, testosterone, DHEAS, estradiol, prolactin, LH/FSH ratio and many others tests for kidneys, liver, stomach, allergies etc. + VISIA. How were those 5 derm. supposed to know why I have acne if they didn't had me tested? How would they possibly know if I have a food intolerence, if I have an allergy? Maybe I have some parasite in my stomach or my throat. Maybe I have a liver disease that causes me acne. There's people with sever acne who were prescribed antibiotics and had an ovarian tumor that was the cause of their acne. People who had Demodex as a root cause of their acne. People with protein deficiency causing their acne. But my dermatologists didn't know that and just recommended me Accutane. And they should have known all these things if they want to help people as you say they do.[/size]

Hmm that's a little bit harsh on how you're describing doctors. I'd rather trust a dermatologist who has his degree, then trust a random online board member whom has had acne for just six years. Dermatologists understand that acne is generally a hormonal disease, with a genetic disposition. I'm not disagreeing with all that you're saying, but you could use less harsh of things to call them since they are skilled and do want to help you.

#36 Andrei11

Andrei11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

Wow this is just mind-blowing. Monicalovesben is english your first language? Have you actually read and understood my post?

#37 Monicalovesben

Monicalovesben

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

Wow this is just mind-blowing. Monicalovesben is english your first language? Have you actually read and understood my post?

Yes English is my first language. Why are you bring so sarcastic and ignorant? Like I said, I'd rather trust a specialist than trust you who doesn't have a degree.

#38 Andrei11

Andrei11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

I am not being sarcastic, I am asking a simple question because I thought you don't understand english very good if you could write that imbecile post. Don't use words you don't understand, such as ignorant. I am sorry if you have a mental problem and you can't understand simple phrases, but if you don't, you should read sentences out loud until you understand them or ask someone to explain them for you, because it's worrying if english is your first language.

In my post I explained very clear that I have been seen by 5 specialists with a degree and I've spoken with other 4 specialists with a degree. Ok now? That's enough degrees for you? Well all these people with DEGREES couldn't do jack sh*t for me and then I found a SPECIALIST with a DEGREE that explained to me what acne is and how should be cured and confirmed that those 9 SPECIALISTS with DEGREES didn't know what the f*ck they were doing. You don't have to trust ME, I am not saying anything, I am saying what happened to me in my acne adventure, while dealing with 9 SPECIALISTS with a DEGREE. Fully understood now? One more time:

My conclusions on acne are based on 5 years of dealing with 10 specialists with degrees in medicine and hundreds of pages of research on the Internet.

#39 Monicalovesben

Monicalovesben

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:25 PM

Looking on the Internet isn't good. Everyone tells me to stay off. The Internet is full of lies. I'm gonna believe my doctor lol who has seen many cases of acne and treated them successfully ok thanks :)

#40 Andrei11

Andrei11

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I'm speechless. Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users