41 replies to this topic

#1 Urban Monk

Urban Monk

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:01 AM

Hi all,
this will be my first time posting on this forum, the reason why I feel I have to post this is because it might help out other sufferers who are clueless to why they are still breaking out way past puberty.

Let me introduce myself first,

I'm a 30 year old male who has been struggling with moderate to severe acne since the age of 13, at first I expected it to be a normal part of puberty.
I have always been very vain and immediately started battling the first signs of acne (which at that time were small pimples) with clearasil and other over the counter products.
Ofcourse that didn't do shit for my acne but make it worse (as I'm sure most of you have already personally experienced).

Then I went to the doctor and got some antibiotic lotion, guess what? My acne and my skin complexion got worse and worse!
Then at the age of 16 my acne had gone from relatively mild to pretty severe. I went to a dermatologist who was supposed to be some renowned skin expert who prescribed me two different creams, one for at night and one for during the day. Guess what? Not a damn thing changed! My skin complexion just simply continued to get worse and worse no matter what I did.

By now I was 18 years old and my skin condition was getting worse, plus I became plagued by terrible oiliness which forced me to basically wash my face about every hour because the oiliness combined with acne just looked and felt disgusting.

I did notice a strange fenomenon though...
Every now and then, seemingly from out of nowhere, my entire face became clear for a day or two without me changing anything about my routine, on those days I always felt very relaxed and confident.
But those streaks never lasted for longer than a few days, then it was back to the same old bad skin that by now I had come to identify with.

Everything in my life became negatively influenced by my skin and my thoughts about it.
By the time I was 22 I was just depressed about life and felt that my skin condition was the one thing preventing me from reaching my full potential. I became introverted and started to avoid social situations and even my own friends.
My confidence with girls was completely in the toilet during that time, although I did have a few girlfriends and one very loving and sweet long term girlfriend whom I lived together with for years.
Even the quality of my relationships with my girlfriends was negatively influenced by my obsession with my skin because I was just so insecure (which I never told any of my girls) that it caused me to be emotionally unavailable to them.

So basically I just continued on in this way, not really enjoying my life, mostly hanging out with other insecure losers (because they were the only people I felt comfortable with), and drinking lots of alcohol and smoking weed alot just to try to escape my miserable little existence.

During these years I can literally say that I was never fully at peace, I never fully accepted myself the way I was, I basically felt that there was something wrong with me because I was the one getting this fucked up acne while everybody else just enjoyed smooth clear skin no matter what they did.

At this point I had tried it all: diets, fruit fasting, water fasting, and all over the counter products and also a few prescpription meds such as differin, nothing made a difference, and a few even seemed to make it worse.

I came to the realization that western doctors do not cure anybody, they're clueless. Yes they know a lot about the human body, but they (most of them) don't address the cause of disease, they just fight the symptoms.
Just try to ask a doctor about the cause of any disease and they'll tell you that the cause is either unknown, or the disease is caused by some bacteria or virus.
Well how do you explain that those bacteria are coming into contact with every human being on the planet but some get affected by them while others don't?

If acne is caused by bacteria that everybody has on their skin then how do you explain that some people do get acne while others don't?

If acne is caused by diet then how do you explain that the most obese people I know who literally eat anything they can get their hands on, have smooth beautiful skin?

If acne is caused by an unhealthy lifestyle then why do most alcoholics and drug addicts have smooth clear skin?

If acne is caused by dirt and not washing enough then why do I see homeless bums who live on the streets and don't wash for days at a time all have perfect skin?

If acne is caused by excessive oiliness, how do you explain that even when I wash my face all day long and never let the oil build up, I still get the same amount (or more!) of acne.

Something's not adding up, right?

So I started to do my own research on how the human body works. I have always been very interested in metaphysics, and have read a lot about it, but never really applied it because I wasn't ready to make that paradigm shift.

I had already read years ago that all disease is caused by the mind through emotional stress, but I never really could believe it because I was just so brainwashed by our conventional western way of thinking.
Then while reading these acne.org boards I realized something...

I noticed LOTS of people saying that they felt that acne was the ONE thing holding them back in life. "If I could just get rid of this acne, my life would be perfect, I could be my true self and be happy".

My research had brought me to the theory that the body is a reflection of the mind, if we assume for a minute that this is true, then what would acne be a manifestation of?

For me I realized that acne was the outer manifestation of all the uglyness that was inside of me, all the pain and emotions that I have suffered in the past (I had an emotionally tough childhood) that I never faced within myself had to be expressed in some way or they would have killed me.
Emotional stress is actually very toxic to the body, much more toxic than anything you could eat, drink, smoke, snort or even shoot! (exept for lethal poisons ofcourse).
Just do some research on how stress can affect the entire body , including hormonal balance and digstion, and you"ll realize that diet is insiginificant to your skin, as compared to stress levels. (Excluding any pre-existing allergies).

I dicided to try this after reading "A new eart" by Eckhart Tolle.
I surrendered to all the pain that was inside of me from all the years of suffering from acne and all the fear and stress of not being good enough.

What happened is unbelievable, after just surrendering, the results within two weeks were already life changing. Just simply from accepting myself as I am right now, and facing all my emotions without running away from them, all active acne has dissapeared, and the scars that I did have are all fading and literally falling (peeling) off my face!

My entire complexion has changed rapidly and drastically, the texture of my facial skin is much more smooth and even my enlarged pores, oilyness, and blackheads on my nose are all gone!
My regimen now is to simply wash my face two to three times a day with a mild soap while taking a shower, and not using any creams or lotions.

I have come to the conclusion that my acne was simply caused by suppressed emotions of not being good enough (this goes back to the way I was raised) which just got worse when I came into puberty and got exerbated by the acne, basically the acne was the outter manifestation of the emotion "I'm not good enough". And by not facing this emotion within myself, I was sentenced to facing it everytime I looked in the mirror and showing it to the entire world (you can run but you can't hide!).

Most people go through a short phase where they have acne, and then grow out of it, guess why? because they accept themselves as they are, even with acne. We are the ones who have trouble living with acne because we already had problems before the acne even showed up, we just weren't aware of it, the acne was meant to make us aware that we have some emotional problems going on and to deal with them.

But instead of doing that, we decide to fight against the acne! Well the acne is just a reflection of yourself, so in reality you're fighting against yourself, which can only result in more pain. Nobody goes from having clear skin to having severe acne over night, it's a process. The more you fight aginst it, the worse it gets. I'm not saying that some people are not genetically predisposed to this, I'm just saying that if you had clear skin as a child, then there's no reason why you could not be having clear skin now.
Stress is what breaks these weak links.
Other people might be be having emotional issues also, but they're not genetically predisposed to getting acne , so with them it manifestst as some other disease.

I'm saying this to everybody here who has no other health problems, and has tried everything to get rid of acne but nothing has worked for them; the reason why nothing works for you is because your acne is not caused by anything physical, it's all mental and emotional.

Feel your body, feel your emotions, feel your heartbeat, be aware of your breathing, and you'll probably find out that you are very stressed out!
What you really need is to chill out and relax, accept yourself as you are right now.

This is all very hard to explain if you don't know HOW to relax and accept.

I would strongly urge you to read the book "a new earth" by Eckhart tolle (which can easily be downloaded in .pdf by using google), or just do some research online about what he calls "the pain body". (by the way I bought the book even after downloading it because it's worth the money).

I believe that what he calls "the pain body" is the cause for chronic acne, just google it and try to apply what he teaches and you'll find out for yourself.
I have been suffering from acne from the age of 14 to the age of 30, that's more than half of my life! And this has been the only solution for me, I've not felt and looked this good since I was 14 years old!
I must add that I've also been working out in the gym alot lately and I recommend people to try to exercize at least 3 to 4 times a week because I believe rigid exersize speeds up the healing process. But working out alone is not a cure because I've been working out for years, the change only started to happen after I learned how to deal with my emotions.

I'm 100% certain that the cause for my moderate to severe acne was supressed emotions and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one!

This is my first and my only post on this board, and I decided to post this because reading this board has been a part of my awakening process and this is my way of giving back to those who are ready for it.

I do realize that most people probably won't be ready for this kind of information and that's fine, If just one person is helped by this post , then it was worth it!

Also I'm from the Netherlands, so English is not my first language so forgive me if my English or my writing style are not top notch.

I have not posted any pictures and I'm not planning on doing so because of privacy reasons, but I can guarantee you that everything I've posted here is true.
I'm not selling anything so what would be the purpose of being dishonest to you?
All you have to do is research and apply what I've posted here and you'll find out for yourself if it's true for you, I'm just here to help out those who want to be helped.

I welcome all people who are interested in this topic to participate in this discussion, and I will try to answer any questions every now and then (I'm not online a lot these days because of limited spare time).

Thanks for reading this, may peace be upon you!

#2 seeacnegone

seeacnegone

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:19 PM

Holy Crap, I can't believe you just wrote this article today and I'm the first to post a response.

I am 34 years old. I have struggled with mild to moderate acne on my face ever since I was 14yrs old as well.

At age 18yrs I was sick of all of the regiments conventional medicine recommended because nothing worked, or was too harsh on my skin and internal organs like Retin A.

I started studying holistic and natural health at age 18.

I found I needed to eat better. So I messed with Vegetarianism. I eat really well to this day, but eating alone was not the cause.

I had a hunch that if the pharmaceutical drug Retin A was a chemical derivative of Beta Carotene then maybe carrot juice would help.

I tried a serious regiment of carrot juice along with good eating, which included less carbohydrates, sugars, fats, chemical processed food, preservatives, etc.

The carrot juice worked wonders. My skin cleared up and I became a believer in natural health.

I had bad allergies from seasonal air pollens; as well as animal dander. I tried a regular regiment of local fresh bee pollen and my allergies went away! I also raised a cat from a kitten and my allergies to animals dropped off significantly. I love natural health.

I lived in Japan for two years at age of 19 to 21 and could not get access to carrot juice and my acne flared up without mercy. I had some family tragedy occur during those two years as well that increased my stress and my acne got even worse.

Every time my acne would flare up my willingness to go outside in front of people diminished. My confidence would slack, and if stress was high enough depression would ensue.

When I got home from Japan I picked up carrot juice like a religion and my skin was so nice I would often get compliments for how smooth and nice complexion my skin was. Me? The kid that had ugly pimply skin getting a compliment on my complexion? That was a nice place to be.

Over the last 16 years I would have only small bouts of acne. I would start up the carrot juice again and it would leave.

I am now in Thailand with my family the last 3 months. I have a good size family to care for. And stress in my current life is at an all time high.

I love chocolate and I read some recent medical studies done this year, February 2011, that show proof positive that chocolate appears to have a direct connection to acne in people who have acne in their history.

So, stress is really high right now, bad enough that depression sweeps in like bouts of storm waves. However, I keep it at bay with meditating, which I have become better at over the last 5 years.

I realize that the most stressful times in my life are always connected to flare ups of acne. Foods, such as chocolate (for those of us already prone to acne) appears to make it worse.

Then, I read this post on metaphysical and emotional stress effecting the body, as pertained to those with acne in their history.

I can attest to this. Looking back at my history, the times when I was most alive, free, and happy were also the times I had the clearest complexion.

I can see that reading this post was timely for me. Because stress is higher than I have EVER experienced it in my life right now. I have been doing my regiment of carrot juice like so many times in the past and for some God Damn reason it only has been helping mildly. WTF, Right?

So, I thought I knew everything I needed to know about acne from my 16 years of study and practice, but lately I felt the need to go back to drawing board and do some research. This post struck a cord with me.

The more I fight the symptom of acne the more it has been flaring up. Things that should be working do not like they have before.

I will go and meditate on what belief I am holding emotionally is causing me to manifest my freaking vicious acne. When I come to my own personal answer and have my results I will re-post here.

I love Eckhart Tolle by the way. He has done a wonderful job doing his part to bring awareness and enlightenment to the world.

Cheers to you for your timely post! You have given me a direction for the answers I need.

Sawadee

#3 Fedupofadultacne

Fedupofadultacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 25
About Me

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:42 PM

i totally agree with this thread. doctors solutions effectively mask the symptoms not really giving the solution, for example we get acne because of a combination of hormones, bacteria & dead skin cells not turning over effectively, yes we all know this, but WHY are our hormones causing acne? everyone has hormone fluctuations but not everyone has acne. I do believe acne can be exacerbated by emotional stress putting our hormones in turmoil, even stress which might not be visible to another person, but an internal thing. I dont fully understand the DHT issue & why some skins are so responsive to acne despite using retinoids to ensure skin cell turnover & a careful cleansing routine to avoid bacteria build up. yet others have clear skin despite not washing/smoking/drinking/plastering on makeup. The pharmaceutical industry is booming business & they dont want people to be fit & healthy as they need the continued demand for products to rake in the profits. Its like buying a set of a cheap set of drawers from Ikea you know will only last 5 years & will need to be replaced. Its a temporary measure. Many natural remedies in certain countries have been banned because they actually work. The whole western lifestyle may trigger acne & its difficult to go back to basics as even many products which claim to be natural are full of gunk. I am also a glass is half empty not half full type of thinker & this may well be a contributor. Doesnt matter how physically healthy you are, how healthy you eat & how much you exercise, the acne still ensues. Acne show something internally isnt right, but if your so fit & healthy & doing nothing wrong then yes it may be a state of mind. as well as genetics in terms of cell turnover.

#4 DC-girl

DC-girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Yeah, this is so important and unfortunately stress is one of the hardest things to control.
I agree; I only have had cystic acne twice in my life and both times were after traumatic things happened to be causing high stress = high cortisol leves= bad acne.
Diet totally can effect your skin as testified by tons of people on here but you can eat right and if you're too stressed out your body won't absorb nutrients; your digestion will suffer and you can take tons of supplements and not have it make any difference.

Choosing to be happy no matter what your skin looks like can actually heal you but it's not easy to do. I'm working on it daily.

Edited by DC-girl, 23 December 2012 - 02:13 PM.

#5 Scars2go

Scars2go

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

I agree with this. I am 34 now. Go days without spots, start worrying or get depressed for whatever reason and spots comeback. It's a vicious cycle and I am not able to stop it.

#6 Ichance23

Ichance23

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me
  • Interests:try tto or lavender oil

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

well i agree that stress causes acne. everytime finals come around and ap testing at my school everyone breaks out! there is an obvious connection. but you said your cure was accepting yourself? my "remedy" has been zinc oxide. it actually cleared me in the 3 days. i also had acne since i was 11 and have dealed with it for a long time. it feels like a holy day since i found this stuff. its like i've completed some giant maze or barely survived after nearly drowning but its all over now. or like i just woke up from a really bad dream. knowing that i wont have to deal with acne for the rest of my life feels great. thanks for your post.

Edited by Ichance23, 23 December 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#7 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I buy this completely. I've always known that my acne is a product of my mental state. And that fixing my mental state will cure my acne. But I don't know how. So instead I try to convince myself that my latest regimen is the answer, and tide myself over with the limited benefits that that little bit of positive thinking brings.

#8 Jekester

Jekester

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Any tips on how to reduce stress and be calm throughout the day? I have anxiety and depression so ... haha. Just enough to be relaxed and calm. Do you reckon having a routine or write down stuff to do for every day would help?

#9 Michelle Reece

Michelle Reece

Skin care fanatic and scientific stickler

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Reading, writing, playing video games and bird watching.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

My research had brought me to the theory that the body is a reflection of the mind, if we assume for a minute that this is true, then what would acne be a manifestation of?

For me I realized that acne was the outer manifestation of all the uglyness that was inside of me, all the pain and emotions that I have suffered in the past (I had an emotionally tough childhood) that I never faced within myself had to be expressed in some way or they would have killed me.
Emotional stress is actually very toxic to the body, much more toxic than anything you could eat, drink, smoke, snort or even shoot! (exept for lethal poisons ofcourse).
Just do some research on how stress can affect the entire body , including hormonal balance and digstion, and you"ll realize that diet is insiginificant to your skin, as compared to stress levels. (Excluding any pre-existing allergies).

I dicided to try this after reading "A new eart" by Eckhart Tolle.
I surrendered to all the pain that was inside of me from all the years of suffering from acne and all the fear and stress of not being good enough.

What happened is unbelievable, after just surrendering, the results within two weeks were already life changing. Just simply from accepting myself as I am right now, and facing all my emotions without running away from them, all active acne has dissapeared, and the scars that I did have are all fading and literally falling (peeling) off my face!

I have come to the conclusion that my acne was simply caused by suppressed emotions of not being good enough (this goes back to the way I was raised) which just got worse when I came into puberty and got exerbated by the acne, basically the acne was the outter manifestation of the emotion "I'm not good enough". And by not facing this emotion within myself, I was sentenced to facing it everytime I looked in the mirror and showing it to the entire world (you can run but you can't hide!).

Most people go through a short phase where they have acne, and then grow out of it, guess why? because they accept themselves as they are, even with acne. We are the ones who have trouble living with acne because we already had problems before the acne even showed up, we just weren't aware of it, the acne was meant to make us aware that we have some emotional problems going on and to deal with them.

But instead of doing that, we decide to fight against the acne! Well the acne is just a reflection of yourself, so in reality you're fighting against yourself, which can only result in more pain. Nobody goes from having clear skin to having severe acne over night, it's a process. The more you fight aginst it, the worse it gets. I'm not saying that some people are not genetically predisposed to this, I'm just saying that if you had clear skin as a child, then there's no reason why you could not be having clear skin now.
Stress is what breaks these weak links.
Other people might be be having emotional issues also, but they're not genetically predisposed to getting acne , so with them it manifestst as some other disease.

I'm saying this to everybody here who has no other health problems, and has tried everything to get rid of acne but nothing has worked for them; the reason why nothing works for you is because your acne is not caused by anything physical, it's all mental and emotional.

I'm 100% certain that the cause for my moderate to severe acne was supressed emotions and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one!

This is dangerously close to some of the other things I've read online that "cancer, etc. is caused by repressed emotions and your body is trying to tell you something". I'm very concerned "acne" in this assertion will be a placeholder word to some, then they'll start claiming potentially lethal nonsense.

Yes, getting stressed out about acne can make you see more/worse acne then there is, and if you don't pay attention to your acne it "isn't there". However, "de-stressing" is by no means a "cure". Your mind can trick you with placebo and nocebo effects. I immediately get suspicious of anyone who claims "X is the true cause" and "Y is the cure", especially when there is no (known) cure to acne.

#10 Ind1g0

Ind1g0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Great post- love the perspective and the philosophy- from a fellow esoteric metaphysicist and naturopathic psychologist this really radiates with me. Emotional upset manifests in many symptoms...which can in fact to on to create more symptoms, etc. thanks!

#11 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:59 AM

I could not agree with this post more. I really think we need to look at the emotional aspect of acne and what it is trying to teach us in life. Albeit a very hard lesson to learn, our skin does not hold us back from ANYTHING unless we let it control our emotions. The more we obsess with trying to control our skin the more it seems to break out giving us a sense of lack of control which creates other emotional issues too.

I have been dealing with acne since I was in my early teens and am now 24. I have been on accutane many times which always successfully gave me flawless skin... but the acne would always come back. The change in my attitude, behaviour, self esteem etc. when the acne came back is astounding and somewhat crazy if I do say so myself. When I finally said no more to accutane and decided to deal with my skin holistically I never imagined what emotional issues I would have to work though - there was a lot of deep pain that I never dealt with. Acne is a message to look inward for self esteem and happiness, to not let the judgement of others affect you and accept yourself for never being perfect. I think many of us develop BDD issues because of our acne as well, I became anorexic as a way to have control over my appearance and life after dealing with acne.

The other thing I think deserves attention is how great an impact our thoughts have on our actual reality. Not just it's perception, but how we influence everything that happens to us by what we think. The more we fear something the more we attract it to us, the more we detest something the more likely it is to happen. If you let yourself be, stop blaming yourself for having acne and just accept it at the current moment things will definitely change. The less you think about it the more it dissapears. The more you love yourself the more it disappears. The more you face the world with a smile no matter what your circumstances, the more the world smiles back. Everything happens for a reason, acne is just another lesson to overcome and if you do the hard emotional work with courage, you will no doubt defeat it. That's what I believe anyway!

#12 river333

river333

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

generally I agree with this thread as well. I've improved my diet and lifestyle immensely and started taking zinc and fermented cod liver oil, and while all of that has helped a LOT, if I slip for a second all the pimples come back, which means they're barely being kept at bay. I suffer from depression and anxiety and am now focusing on those things. I constantly feel tension in my body and it's hard to reprogram myself to relax. I hope it helps. This is a really long and slow process though, it could take years and years before results are seen, but we have to start somewhere, and every step is a good thing whether it helps our skin or not.

I strongly recommend this excellent book to all of you: http://grossbart.com/SkinDeep.pdf. It has really helped me understand psychodermatology and has useful exercises to help. I need to actually start following them. If anyone tries them, let us know how it goes!

#13 Ind1g0

Ind1g0

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Achievements

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

generally I agree with this thread as well. I've improved my diet and lifestyle immensely and started taking zinc and fermented cod liver oil, and while all of that has helped a LOT, if I slip for a second all the pimples come back, which means they're barely being kept at bay. I suffer from depression and anxiety and am now focusing on those things. I constantly feel tension in my body and it's hard to reprogram myself to relax. I hope it helps. This is a really long and slow process though, it could take years and years before results are seen, but we have to start somewhere, and every step is a good thing whether it helps our skin or not.

I strongly recommend this excellent book to all of you: http://grossbart.com/SkinDeep.pdf. It has really helped me understand psychodermatology and has useful exercises to help. I need to actually start following them. If anyone tries them, let us know how it goes!

Thanks for that free book recommendation! I look forward to checking it out soon, looks like a great read

#14 alexisc

alexisc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

I plan on reading this book very soon as well! I'm actually currently reading the book suggested by the original creator of this thread: "A New Earth" by Eckhart Toile. Good read so far, it is helping me through many things in my life right now.

#15 13yearsofAcne

13yearsofAcne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Very interesting posts.

I partly agree and disagree.

Psychodermatology is a fascinating relatively new science and I really hope it continues to grow and provide hard scientific evidence. I feel the evidence for psychodermatology and acne vulgaris isn't quite there yet, unlike for example, eczema. Last I heard Linda Papadopoulos was conducting the largest ever review of the impact of skin disease on psychology. (http://en.wikipedia....da_Papadopoulos).

Alternatively, to label Acne Vulgaris as a psychological disease is potentially a very, very dangerous thing indeed. It sort of shifts the burden of blame onto the Acne patient themselves. However the main pathogenic factors in Acne (Seborrhoea, Hyperkeratinization and Bacterial overgrowth) may not ever be within scope of psychological treatments. It's like saying to a cancer patient; "The reason for your brain tumour is your psychological stress and anxiety...so we won't give you chemo/radiotherapy but rather we recommend you take some rest..."

Edited by 13yearsofAcne, 28 December 2012 - 07:23 AM.

#16 Exister

Exister

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

Bump. This is my favourite thread, I want more opinions/insights.

#17 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:movies, traveling, media studies, teaching, research, integrative medicine, acupuncture, exercise, healthy lifestyle

Achievements

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

There is definitely merit to this approach....I don't know though if acne scars can also disappear on their own in addition to new acne. You must have very strong will, maybe this could also work for anti-aging.
I read other posts that mentioned hypnotherapy for changing how the brain treats acne, and when I looked up psychodermatology, hypnotherapy comes up as a potential treatment. This is fascinating stuff! I noticed a correlation between my acne flareups and my mental state. I have been a bit depressed recently for no particular reason, caught in a rut, and my skin is definitely reflective of that. I was in a relationship a few months ago, and I was feeling very happy for a while and my acne started to clear up and I got compliments on my skin.
I think that acupuncture treatments can also help with stabilizing your mood if you are receptive and maintain a positive outlook. Of course, this is easier said than done. But anyway, this tread contains some fascinating insights, thanks for creating (and bumping) it!

Edited by WishClean28, 14 January 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#18 greatsite18

greatsite18

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I dont think acne can be attributed to a mental state. I think a mental state can cause one to make mistakes, and mistakes can cause acne, but mentality isnt a problem here.

Wisdom teeth can cause skin problems for adults. Ive just realised I need to get two molars removed because theyre irritating my gums. When my widsom teeth were growing they angled two of my other molars into the lining of my mouth, so sometimes I get a blemish on the corresponding area of my cheeks. Ive avoided skin irritation by sleeping in whatever position, making sure theres no pressure from the teeth to the gum, but Im sick of it now and just going to get it fixed.

Edited by greatsite18, 14 January 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#19 callendula

callendula

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Interesting outlook! I can see this!  In my research of options for acne treatments I have come across several links to problems within the body which stress has a hand in! Stress may be one of the biggest factors, even if we don't necessarily feel stressed per se (maybe we equate stress with overwhelming heaviness..not taking into account we all face stressors thoughout every single day). Stress can affect hormones, like progesterone. From my reading and understanding, stress can alter progesterone levels and cause late ovulation or no ovulation. That can be linked to hormonal acne, especially mid month.  Stress can also tax B5 levels in the body. That didn't seem super important to me until I read that B5 makes anti-stress hormones to help regulate cortisol levels.  Low B5 means you can't manage stress as easily. Low B5 is linked to increased androgen levels. Androgens are cursed by many because they up the oil production. 

You know, someone mentioned in another post how their skin clears up on vacation. I can relate. I can go on vacation with spots and every time, during my stay, my face starts to clear up. I'm not saying it's some miracle and my skin is perfected over night. Not at all. But I can tell the spots start to shrink and my overall complexion is brighter. I use the same topicals as I do at home when away. So, how is that? Why do they clear so much faster on vacation?  My diet is definitely worse on vacation that at home..so that should be indicative of a worsening effect. lol On eof teh differences, though, is while on vacation, I feel no stress. I am more carefree and just having a good time. No worries--no laundry, no cooking, no to do lists or paying bills..or a million other chores we all have to manage at home.

So, yes, I can say stress is a factor. Perhaps not the single component for every person (some people do have allergies, intolerances, mites, or etc or even a combination). But for those who have a cause that can be stress related---then yes, it might very well be worth looking into mediating that!

Someone mentioned carrot juice. I started adding pumpkin into my smoothies and I noticed my skin was much brighter and just looked healthier after doing so. Upon checking it out, pumpkin has a high amount of beta-carotene (Vit A). I think it's 300% in a half cup. Not bad, and from what I understand, you cannot OD on plant/food based Vit A. Anyways, it also has  potassium, pantothenic acid, magnesium, and vitamins C and E. It includes B5--which helps regulate stress! :)

#20 Victorious D

Victorious D

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:not having acne anymore

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

Interesting. I don't think stress alone will solve acne, but it will make a huge difference to accept yourself as you are. I was watching this food documentary (Hungry for Change) and it really struck me how common it is for us to get out of the shower in the morning and dislike what we see in the mirror. Bad example for everyone who likes to shower in the evening, but surely we can all relate to fumbling out of bed and criticizing what we see in the mirror as we're brushing our teeth or washing our face. What kind of way is that to start the day, with your inner voice against you?

One of the cheesy, but surprisingly effective fixes for this mentioned in the documentary was having a sticky note on your mirror most visited that reads "I accept myself unconditionally, right now." This is a great counterbalance to the internal negativity we feel when we give ourselves daily shit looking into the mirror and not seeing our ideal self. We are our own worst enemies. Why not read aloud a pleasant sticky note for 30 days and see if it helps? I'm game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users