Photo

How I cleared my hormonal acne

depression

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 Beatrice1

Beatrice1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:09 PM

Edit post

Edited by Beatrice1, 05 October 2013 - 08:01 AM.

#2 melissa6980

melissa6980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

I'm really glad you found something that worked for you. I can imagine how frustrating it was going through that for all those years.

#3 Jennaaaay

Jennaaaay

I've finally learned not to go crazy when I breakout

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

My acne is hormonal too!!!

I am really glad you found something that works for you!!! smile.gif
If anyone needs someone to talk to and vent I am here!
I take:
  • Tumeric (night) 500mg capsules
  • Bragg's ACV (1tsp at night before bed)
  • Multi Vitamin: Multi Complete (Nature Made)
  • C & E (500mg and 400mg) vitamin
  • Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo ****
On my face:
  • Wash face in the morning (ONLY water)
  • Tumeric/Honey before getting it to shower (Not all the time)
  • Honey and cinnamon while in shower
  • NO face makeup (I only wear eyeliner and eyeshadow. No face make up no matter how much it kills me.
  • Garnier Night Peel (Just started this like a week ago)
What causes my acne:
  • Hormones: **** Ortho threw me off and my face was attacked with acne.Posted Image
Face status: Doing alright compared to what I had

Last updated: January 18 ,2013

#4 Beatrice1

Beatrice1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

Thanks Melissa!
I'm so glad I don't have to worry about my skin for now. Hope it stays clear 4ever whistling.gif)

#5 Beatrice1

Beatrice1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:56 PM

Thanks, did you manage to keep your skin clear, or you're still searching for a solution?

#6 DC-girl

DC-girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

Beatrice,

How long have you been on the cream? How long did it take to clear you?
Do you follow a special diet or avoid certain foods?

And where do I get progesterone cream? Is there a specific brand?

Thanks!

#7 Beatrice1

Beatrice1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:43 PM

edit post

Edited by Beatrice1, 05 October 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#8 mstrkrftr

mstrkrftr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2011 - 02:35 PM

could this work for men? i think i have hormonal acne too.

#9 Guest_davidtheskinking_*

Guest_davidtheskinking_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

Interesting Story! Thanks for sharing... My guess is that you had bad estrogen and the progesterone helped balance the bad estrogen out to balance your hormones to balance your skin and acne.

Good to hear it worked for you!

David

#10 Beatrice1

Beatrice1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:10 AM

edit post

#11 Beatrice1

Beatrice1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 11
About Me

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:16 AM

edit post

#12 faithgirl1409

faithgirl1409

Faithgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:48 AM

Hi Beatrice:) Thanks for sharing.
do you apply the cream to your face or elsewhere?
dont think the make you are using is available in SAfrica but I am possibly going to try solal.
thanks! biggrin.gif new to this site but its so cool hearing all the different things that people have tried etc and my stories very similar to yours so pretty excited to try this out smile.gif

#13 oXSophiaXo

oXSophiaXo

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Hey Beatrice!

I was wondering if you wouldnt mind posting up pics of before and after? I am just wondering if ur acne was similar to mine. My acne is mainly concentrated at the centre of my cheeks area and its been there for almost 3 years!! I got acne out of no where when i was 22 and nothing has worked. Derms say its not hormonal although I have never done any testing. But I can't tell if it is.. I dont have irregular periods but I do get acne flare ups a week before my periods. However during and after my periods, i still get persistent acne.

#14 melissa6980

melissa6980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:47 PM

What about saw palmetto for guys? I've heard that has natural anti-androgen properties. That might help and guys can take it.

#15 TJ0000

TJ0000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Beatrice1 @ Aug 4 2011, 05:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you guys know how I managed to clear my acne I've had for 13 yrs. Here's a little info about myself.
I'm 25, and started getting acne when I was 12. I've tried pretty much everything under the sun.
3 years ago, my acne got so bad I again that my dermatologist here in the u.s. put me on yaz. It helped a little, but I wasn't even close to be clear. I begged my derm to put me on accutane, but she said no.

I went to my dermatologist in Brazil, and she wanted me to start taking spironolactone. I started the spiro, had a horrible initial break out from it, that never seemed to clear up, so my derm in added accutane as well to speed things up a little. after 3 1/2 months on spiro I started losing my hair, and got some very bad panic attacks, and figured that it's probably better for my sanity to quit the spiro. I finished the course of accutane in 6 months. My face stayed clear for a while, but slowly my acne started returning again.

One month ago i was so fed up, and after reading everything I could about hormonal acne, I figured why not try nuvaring. (since i read somewhere here that someone had success from it)
Well, my face cleared up, but I started having all the bad side effects you could possible imagine, panic attacks, depression, migraine, spotting, etc.. So in the end I had to remove the nuvaring.

Of course my hormones went bananas after removing the nuvaring, and my acne came back with vengeance.

Started searching the acne.org website up and down, to see if there was something out there that I didn't try already.
Then I read about someone having success with progesterone cream. In all desperation I went to whole foods and bought the cream, i figured what do i have to loose at this point.

Within a couple of days my acne cleared up. Today I have perfect skin, not even one pimple.
I'm so happy I don't need to take accutane, bcp, or spiro. But at the same time it's upsetting that none of my dermatologists never suggested progesterone cream to me. And to have waisted so much time, money, feeling depressed, etc.

I understand that everyone is different, and what works for one person might no work for another.
But if I can help just one person to become acne free, and not having to suffer anymore, then this post was well worth it.

whistling.gifD

B

OMG, Im almost 27, started getting it at 15, had a few good years between but it got really bad again starting a few years ago for me too and for the life of me, I cannot get it under control, at least not consistently. Last week I was researching all about hormones (bc it HAS to be hormonal, absolutely NO other method of attack has worked) and from what I learned just by online browsing, I am totally convinced it is from a progesterone imbalance. However, I think I have too much of it.
What is your skin/body type like? Energy level? Are you naturally a more stressed or more calm person? What part of your face is affected most? Estrogen dominance vs. progesterone dominance have different physical and internal signs in a woman apparently.

Thank you!!!

#16 TJ0000

TJ0000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE (mstrkrftr @ Aug 10 2011, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could this work for men? i think i have hormonal acne too.

Found this, take a look:

#17 MichelleKL77

MichelleKL77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Hi Beatrice, if you don't mind me asking, how do you apply the cream? is it on your face only, I looked into progesterone cream but it said you had to take it at a certain time before your were ovulating, it all seemed very confusing, I'm just wondering how you started it, have you managed to stay clear on it? is it something you have to continue using until you "grow out of your acne"? Sorry for all the questions!

#18 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Hi Beatrice, if you don't mind me asking, how do you apply the cream? is it on your face only, I looked into progesterone cream but it said you had to take it at a certain time before your were ovulating, it all seemed very confusing, I'm just wondering how you started it, have you managed to stay clear on it? is it something you have to continue using until you "grow out of your acne"? Sorry for all the questions!

Pre-menopausal women should use progesterone cream on days 12-26 of your cycle. Day 1 is the day your period starts.

If you take it every day you may stop menstruating.

Progesterone cream is most effective when applied to areas that have fat deposits, such as inner thighs, near the armpit, etc.

Edited by Green Gables, 04 January 2013 - 06:41 PM.

photo-152109.gif?_r=1345837784?__rand=0.

I don't get notified of your response to my post unless you QUOTE my post.

Please only quote a small portion of the post so it doesn't clutter up the thread. 

How to Treat Hormonal Acne

Good and Bad Birth Control Pills and Implants for Acne

How to take Spironolactone

List of Doctors Who Prescribe Spironolactone

Topicals for Hormonal Acne

HOW I STAY 100% CLEAR:

Spironolactone (anti-androgen drug)

Betaine HCL with each meal

Avoiding silicones and occlusives in skin/hair products

#19 brenmc

brenmc

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

I know this is an old thread but I hope you still check it. How much progesterone cream do you use and did you start at a certain amount t and then increase?

Hi everyone,I just wanted to let you guys know how I managed to clear my acne I've had for 13 yrs. Here's a little info about myself.I'm 25, and started getting acne when I was 12. I've tried pretty much everything under the sun.3 years ago, my acne got so bad I again that my dermatologist here in the u.s. put me on yaz. It helped a little, but I wasn't even close to be clear. I begged my derm to put me on accutane, but she said no.I went to my dermatologist in Brazil, and she wanted me to start taking spironolactone. I started the spiro, had a horrible initial break out from it, that never seemed to clear up, so my derm in added accutane as well to speed things up a little. after 3 1/2 months on spiro I started losing my hair, and got some very bad panic attacks, and figured that it's probably better for my sanity to quit the spiro. I finished the course of accutane in 6 months. My face stayed clear for a while, but slowly my acne started returning again. One month ago i was so fed up, and after reading everything I could about hormonal acne, I figured why not try nuvaring. (since i read somewhere here that someone had success from it)Well, my face cleared up, but I started having all the bad side effects you could possible imagine, panic attacks, depression, migraine, spotting, etc.. So in the end I had to remove the nuvaring.Of course my hormones went bananas after removing the nuvaring, and my acne came back with vengeance. Started searching the acne.org website up and down, to see if there was something out there that I didn't try already. Then I read about someone having success with progesterone cream. In all desperation I went to whole foods and bought the cream, i figured what do i have to loose at this point. Within a couple of days my acne cleared up. Today I have perfect skin, not even one pimple. I'm so happy I don't need to take accutane, bcp, or spiro. But at the same time it's upsetting that none of my dermatologists never suggested progesterone cream to me. And to have waisted so much time, money, feeling depressed, etc. I understand that everyone is different, and what works for one person might no work for another. But if I can help just one person to become acne free, and not having to suffer anymore, then this post was well worth it.whistling.gifDB

#20 Beatrice1

Beatrice1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

I'm sorry I forgot to update this thread. I had to stop the progesterone cream, because it was doing something weird to my hormones.

My skin was ok up until I tried colostrum, and then BAM!!!! The colostrum did something to me, I don't know what, but I started getting seb derm and folliculitis on my scalp, face, and back along with moderate acne. So yeah, moral of this story be careful with with supplements. 

Also I would like to add that for any of you that think you might have a problem with low progesterone you should consult a naturopath or someone that are knowledgeable about this, so you don't end up waisting your time and possibly making matters worse like i did.