Photo

Why am I scarring all the sudden? :(

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 CottonCandi

CottonCandi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2011 - 01:01 PM

I've had zits since I was 13 and always had the bad habit of picking at them ALL THE TIME but only within the past year I've been actually SCARRING from it. TONS of dark spots, indentations, it's making me look horrible! I used to think to myself how lucky I was to not scar on my face and now all the sudden every little zit I get is turning into a dark spot that WILL NOT go away, and I have extremely pale skin so it's very noticeable. It's crazy. What would cause me to start scarring out of nowhere?!

Oh btw I am 22 now.

Edited by CottonCandi, 04 August 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#2 alphabetpony

alphabetpony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

Do you use retins or exfoliate? Sometimes overuse or long term use of a retin or even just over-exfoliation (chemically or otherwise) seems to exacerbate scarring in some people. If this is the case, maybe take a break from it and see if it helps. Whether it's because it thins your skin or removes the top layer that was covering up past damage i dunno...and no one else around here seems to know either. Also, there are some antibiotics that can make your skin more fragile too (tetracycline did it to me). Another thing is, people do age at different rates so maybe it's your age. Either way, you aren't 13 anymore, so it's time to stop picking at your face! Your skin is older and less elastic now and you just can't expect it to heal like it used to.

Also those "dark spots" aren't anything to worry about (very rarely permanent and they can easily be treated with otc remedies). True indentations on the other hand, are really distressing, I know! But it's true that they sometimes end up filling themselves in and diminishing over the span of several months (or even years) so take heart. Actually, one could assume that if you don't fuck with them, pretty much all scars will end up softening and diminishing over time... Just remember to moisturize and treat your skin gently when you've got open wounds from now on because you'll want to start helping it heal. And if you're not already seeing one, maybe start seeing a dermatologist for some more effective acne treatment so you can prevent new breakouts.

#3 CottonCandi

CottonCandi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:29 PM

Only recently have I been exfoliating regularly and I don't know what a retin is so I don't think it's that. Also I'm not on antibiotics or any medication. And I moisturize daily sad.gif

I've had the same dark spots for like, months to a year now and they aren't fading sad.gif

Also I know I need to stop picking. It's ruining my face.

#4 girl11

girl11

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

Same thing happening to me. I used to pick and pick, and no matter how bad it got, the mark would always go away completely within a couple weeks, even sooner. So every time I saw that, I could think, well no matter how bad it gets, it'll go away! Not the case in the past year or so. I think it's because I'm older, but I think it's also because ever since I went off birth control pill and got pregnant, I get pimples more frequently and I think I'm getting different types of pimples now too, I think they'd be what are referred to as pustules. I HATE those.

I just popped one last Saturday, and though it's gone down in size, it's this weird little bump with a weird dry flake of skin in the middle that I think is a little hole that just looks weird under concealer. I hope this looks better in another week sad.gif But yeah, no more popping or picking for me. At least you know now that you just shouldn't do it anymore since your skin isnt' healing as fast as it used to.

#5 alphabetpony

alphabetpony

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

I'm sorry, that sucks. Picking at your face can definitely be satisfying but i always end up making things 10x worse when I do it so it's easy for me to resist the impulse. But don't be too hard on yourself 'cause sometimes it'll scar whether you pick at it or not, you know? Inflammatory acne can really fuck you over after awhile. That deep under the skin acne (cystic) tends to cause scarring regardless. That's why you should see a derm if you can. You could also try using HQ (hydroquinone) to fade these red marks that you've had for over a year. I used to use the Ambi brand oily skin version. It takes awhile but it it's proven to work better than anything else OTC. You just have to be careful 'cause it's like bleach and some people find that it irritates their skin (it does tend to make my marks temporarily redder). If you're gonna use it, only put it on the marks--use a little brush or something to apply it. Don't use it on indentations or anything though, cause it only works on hyperpigmentation.

#6 AcneExposed

AcneExposed

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:44 AM

The reason your skin is unable to heal normally because of damage done to the skin. Without moisture the skin cannot heal, it cannot move without it. pm me for more info

#7 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (alphabetpony @ Aug 4 2011, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you use retins or exfoliate? Sometimes overuse or long term use of a retin or even just over-exfoliation (chemically or otherwise) seems to exacerbate scarring in some people. If this is the case, maybe take a break from it and see if it helps. Whether it's because it thins your skin or removes the top layer that was covering up past damage i dunno...and no one else around here seems to know either. Also, there are some antibiotics that can make your skin more fragile too (tetracycline did it to me). Another thing is, people do age at different rates so maybe it's your age. Either way, you aren't 13 anymore, so it's time to stop picking at your face! Your skin is older and less elastic now and you just can't expect it to heal like it used to.

Also those "dark spots" aren't anything to worry about (very rarely permanent and they can easily be treated with otc remedies). True indentations on the other hand, are really distressing, I know! But it's true that they sometimes end up filling themselves in and diminishing over the span of several months (or even years) so take heart. Actually, one could assume that if you don't fuck with them, pretty much all scars will end up softening and diminishing over time... Just remember to moisturize and treat your skin gently when you've got open wounds from now on because you'll want to start helping it heal. And if you're not already seeing one, maybe start seeing a dermatologist for some more effective acne treatment so you can prevent new breakouts.

moisturizing on open wounds? Is that a good idea?

QUOTE (CottonCandi @ Aug 4 2011, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Only recently have I been exfoliating regularly and I don't know what a retin is so I don't think it's that. Also I'm not on antibiotics or any medication. And I moisturize daily sad.gif

I've had the same dark spots for like, months to a year now and they aren't fading sad.gif

Also I know I need to stop picking. It's ruining my face.

what type of exfoliation?

#8 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:57 AM

yo o.p., do all zits scar, regardless if you pick at them? Or even the ones u dont pick?

#9 CottonCandi

CottonCandi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

QUOTE (Timehealsall @ Aug 5 2011, 04:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what type of exfoliation?

Within the past couple months on a fairly regular basis I've been using St. Ives Green Tea scrub, it's very gentle.

#10 CottonCandi

CottonCandi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:50 AM

QUOTE (Timehealsall @ Aug 5 2011, 04:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yo o.p., do all zits scar, regardless if you pick at them? Or even the ones u dont pick?

Dunno because I pick at pretty much all of them if they don't seem to be getting better, but I've always done that, only recently have I been getting scars from it. I know it's very bad to do and I'm trying to stop but it's a bad compulsive habit. eusa_naughty.gif

Edited by CottonCandi, 05 August 2011 - 07:50 AM.