Photo

The cure for bumps (closed comedones) - Temporarily

aha alpha hydroxy acid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 WaveRider96

WaveRider96

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:15 PM

I have an oily t-zone (forehead and nose) with hundreds of bumps (closed comedones?) on my forehead. I don't have much for inflamed acne, although I do get the occasions pimple here and there. Under moderate light the bumps are not noticeable, but in sunlight or angles of shine on my forehead, they are quite apparent. Exfoliating with a cloth in the shower diminishes the bumps to a degree but it also leads to irritation which causes redness, and pimples. The only thing that gets rid of them COMPLETELY is a sun burn. This of course leads to its own problems (skin cancer etc) but every single bump seems to be pushed to the surface within hours where it falls out as a hardened "pod" leaving smooth, tanned, and toned skin behind. Of course this does not last and a couple of weeks later my beautifully smooth skin deteriorates and I am left with a bumpy forehead again.

I haven't tried any sort of treatments on my forehead, other than exfoliation and moisturizing, although I have ordered the regimen with jojoba oil and AHA from the store which should be arriving in about a week.

My question is, how does a sun burn lead to a complete expulsion of the bumps?

- Is it a tightening of the skin that pushes out the clogged pore?
- Is the UV radiation killing bacteria?
- Will "toning" the skin with toning products act the same way?
- What can I expect by using benzoyl peroxide on my skin along with jojoba oil and AHA included in the regimen?

I might add that I have moderately fair and sensitive skin. Maybe a gentle exfoliation (gentler than a cloth + clean n' clear) is all that is needed? I have had these bumps for years but I have just recently decided to do something about them.

I prepare all my own food. Eat super healthy. Fast food, soft drinks and other unhealthy foods are consumed rarely. I exercise on a daily basis. Get lots of sleep and don't stress about anything (other than a bumpy forehead), and girls lol. I use dermatological laundry detergent on my sheets, pillow covers and towels and wash them on a weekly basis. I NEVER touch my forehead, either with my hands, when I put on my clothes, or with anything else. I have short hair and shower before bed to remove any hair products.

Its soooo satisfying to have the bumps disappear within a day and I feel great and confident!! I would like to know the reason for a sun burn eliminating the closed comedones and would much desire to emulate it without the negative effects of sitting in the sun for an hour or two without sun screen.

Thanks to all who reply! =)

#2 lookingforthecure

lookingforthecure

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:54 PM

This is very interesting. Looks like I need a little sunburn smile.gif

#3 *me*

*me*

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2011 - 12:37 AM

I have a very similar problem! I suddenly had millions of bumps pop up this spring! I've been devasted ever since...
I tan and think they look better, but then at other times I don't think it helps? I haven't tried to burn...
Due to my bumps being so bad this summer, I haven't tanned outside like I usually do for a few hours at a time... I've wondered if it would help?
I'm so scared of things making them worse and turning them into red, bigger, inflamed pimples! I'm using a benzoyl peroxide wash and it seems to smooth them down for a few hours after a shower, but then they slowly become more noticeable as the day goes on?

#4 Evelynne Smith

Evelynne Smith

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

I don't know much about sunburns helping acne, but I've heard a lot about sunburns making things worse. It may look good now, but sunburns do damage the skin and make acne worse in the long run. Redspots or post acne marks can also be made worse once the tan/sunburn fades. Or so I've heard.

#5 awakeodin

awakeodin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

-

Edited by awakeodin, 10 August 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#6 victoria223

victoria223

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:42 PM

That's funny because yes, I noticed that when I go tanning they are much better. The small bumps have increased so much since I stopped tanning sad.gif

#7 WaveRider96

WaveRider96

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:57 AM

I just returned from vacation and got a wonderful tan. My forehead is smooth as a babies bottom.

Upon arriving I noticed I got my acne.org regimen package in the mail. So I opened the box and started with the regimen. I know I have sensitive skin so I opted to try the most harsh product, the benzoyl peroxide, on a small portion of my forehead, about the size of a quarter. I'm so glad I did because by the end of the day the area was red, inflammed, swollen, and itchy. I decided to keep with the application of bp and the next day it was equally as irritated but now there were dozens of whiteheads!!!

So what's up with this benzoyl peroxide? Its been 3 days and I've had horrible results!! Is my skin way too sensitive for it? I'm a little worried about reports of people becoming resistent to it and breaking out horribly when they stopped using it.

#8 dreamypeanutbutter

dreamypeanutbutter

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

I have the same issue on my chest and back. When I get burnt it all completely goes away. After the burn fades it all comes back. I wish I could get rid of this stuff!! Benz. peroxide doesn't help. Some stuff that kind of helps is this AcneFree Sulfur Mask that you get from walmart and leave it on all night. If you skip a day though it all comes back:doubt:

#9 Guest_Timehealsall_*

Guest_Timehealsall_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

i think these bumps are caused mainly by antibiotics. did you guys take antibiotics?

#10 matt f

matt f

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 32
About Me

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (Timehealsall @ Sep 13 2011, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i think these bumps are caused mainly by antibiotics. did you guys take antibiotics?

I did and I too get the tiny bumps on my forehead. eusa_boohoo.gif

#11 JMTM18017

JMTM18017

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:32 PM

I notice the same phenomenon as well-- unfortunately, my skin always breaks out shortly after a sun burn, no matter how slight or how extreme my redness is. It's as if all the dead skin from the burn refuses to shed normally, and my pores become more engorged with hard plugs.
I think the heat makes the bacteria/fungi die temporarily-- my only reason for believing this is the cause is because when I had H1N1 flu last January (with a fever over 102 several days in a row) my skin was super-clear and my previous acne seemed to heal overnight (despite not having regular showers or following any particular regimen).
Could be just a personal thing... if tanning helps with acne for an individual, I can't completely find fault with them for doing so...

I'm sick of this skin... I wish I could shed it like a snake and start over.

#12 y3rfd0g

y3rfd0g

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (WaveRider96 @ Aug 17 2011, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just returned from vacation and got a wonderful tan. My forehead is smooth as a babies bottom.

Upon arriving I noticed I got my acne.org regimen package in the mail. So I opened the box and started with the regimen. I know I have sensitive skin so I opted to try the most harsh product, the benzoyl peroxide, on a small portion of my forehead, about the size of a quarter. I'm so glad I did because by the end of the day the area was red, inflammed, swollen, and itchy. I decided to keep with the application of bp and the next day it was equally as irritated but now there were dozens of whiteheads!!!

So what's up with this benzoyl peroxide? Its been 3 days and I've had horrible results!! Is my skin way too sensitive for it? I'm a little worried about reports of people becoming resistent to it and breaking out horribly when they stopped using it.

Stop using the BP. I don't care what people say, it is not supposed to itch and be swollen and inflammed. That is an allergic reaction. Just because you don't experience breathing problems, that is an allergic reaction. I have the same reaction when I use BP. I tried the regimen faithfully for 2 months, and broke out HORRIBLY in the first month. The purplish scars now are just beginning to fade 8 months later. I have very fair sensitive skin as well, so I know what you are experiencing.

Even though the skin got swollen and itchy, once my skin was done purging my skin was soft and glowy with 99% clear skin (but still looked like I was super sunburned even after 2 months of use). I don't want to be discouraging or bash Dan or anything, but I'm warning you that your reaction is NOT GOOD. There are more gentle and natural things like Tea tree oil. I seem to get those bumps on my forehead, and I squeeze them, the little "pods" come out, and I then apply tea tree oil or manuka honey which takes care of it right away.

Anyways, best of luck.

!! 99% clear !!

My Morning Regimen

Wash face with luke warm water
Pat with clean towel
Moisturize with Pratima neem oil face sunscreen spf 30
Aveda mineral dual foundation with clean sponge for makeup sometimes.

My Evening Regimen

If I wore makeup, remove with Bioderma Crealine H2O and cotton pads
Rinse face with lukewarm water and papaya likas soap.
Manuka honey mask for 30-60 minutes
If Shower, wash with luke warm water and papaya soap. Aveda shampoo. No cloths or scrubs or abrasives.
Pat face with clean towel.
If skin is dry, use Pratima Essential Oil
Apply dime size amount of Finacea gel to face and neck. Alternate with Differin lotion.

Diet:

I avoid milk, wheat, caffeine, and soy. Drink lot's of water!

Medications:
Ortho Tricyclen (birth control), Finacea gel, Differin lotion.

Other:
I avoid dimethicone/silicone products, sodium lauryl sulfate, and scented moisturizers. Wash clothes, towels, sheets in hot water only. No detergent.