Photo

WHAT weight GAINER doesnt cause acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 male1234

male1234

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

I think my acne has limited a lot of my food choices which is why im underweight. im looking to gain some weight so can anyone recommend a good brand of weight gainer that they have used that doesnt break them out? dont tell me to eat high-calorie fried foods or to go to mcdonalds because it breaks me out.

Thanks

#2 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

http://www.bodybuild...e/hfit/gain.htm

Or you could just eat a high-calorie diet. You think somehow the calories in a weight gainer will break you out less than calories in entirely healthy food? Oatmeal, nut butter, and honey. That's just one high-calorie healthy thing to eat.

Also - are you actually working out? If not, you are only going to put on fat given you take in enough. That's kind of pointless if you ask me.

#3 IMakeThemKitKatFries!

IMakeThemKitKatFries!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

Wuz up male1234, For the past 2 months ive been working out pretty hard and ive managed to pack on a good amount of weight in a short time, and let me tell you there is no secret to gaining weight, you just got to eat eat eat and eat some more.

The best way for you to gain weight is simply to workout. You dont mention working out in your post so im just adding that in, if you take a weight gainer and expect to gain a good amount of weight without working out then your only going to add fat to your body which im sure thats not the kind of weight gain you want. However, you really dont even need to get a weight gainer you just have to learn how to eat right. Few pointers....

1. You should eat every 3 hours.....Make it a priority to have 3 good meals a day and in between each meal incorporate a snack. A snack could be for example a handful of peanuts (which has calories and healthy fat), a big full glass of milk, and a fruit.

2. Depending on your weight and height, you should consume at least 500 more calories then your body needs daily to gain weight. So for example, if your body type requires you to eat 2,000 calories a day to maintain itself, you should add 500 calories more to that a day in order to gain weight in a healthy manner.

3. Eat Protein.......this is a muscles best friend and you should eat at least 0.6grams of protein per pound of body weight daily. If you are serious about working out you should consume about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily.

4. All the things i mentioned are not very effective without a workout routine. Everybody has got to start from somewhere, god knows i did because i like you am a naturally skinny person, but with time and proper habits its really fun to see how your body slowly grows as well as your muscles.

Steak, Chicken, Lean meats, Nuts, Milk, Eggs, Vegetables, Fruits.......All these are foods that you should aim to consume in your weight gain diet.......and besides the milk for some people, these in general are pretty safe acne free foods.

Edited by IMakeThemKitKatFries!, 19 July 2011 - 10:48 PM.

#4 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

^Smart advice. As for the product by phresh, honestly I'd stay far away, there is a good chance it will screw up your skin. The "secret" is no secret, you have to eat like there is no tomorrow. I've been a hard gainer my whole life, I'm on a 5k calorie diet right now. I'm the guy who has worked for every lb of muscle. Eat 5-6 meals a day, eating a ton at one time is terrible for us acne people as most of us have poor digestion organs, and we cannot digest much more then 1k calories per meal. I always try to eat around 800 calorie meals 6 times a day.

A big thing to remember is that it's not about how much you eat but what you actually digest. Anything you don't digest will just be causing you a whole lot of digestive issues, inflammation, IBS, you name it, don't overeat - eat smart. When you do have a large meal, take a digestive enzyme, they are life savers.

Try to have 2 sweet potatoes everyday, boiled. All tubers are great for calories and are easily digested compared to other high calorie foods. Sprout grains. Google and learn how to. Most are the same guideline, buy a sprouting jar, soak for 12 hours, rinse heavily and drain, place a cloth over the top, place at an angle and allow to sprout for 24-48 hours or once they have 1/4 inch root. The difference between sprouted and non sprouted grains in apples and organges, they get digested in completely different ways, and you will actually benefit from the sprouts. I also sprout all beans and seeds.

And yeah as the guy above said, none of this matters without proper exercise. What kind of athlete are you? What are your goals, what kind of workouts do you do? Exercise 100% matters over nutrition, which is why guys in jail eating nothing but shit carbs can still get as massive as pro weight lifters. It's simple, they put in a TON of dedication and hard work. Nutrition is what you use to go levels beyond, but you can't get there without pure hard work first.

#5 RjD the mannn

RjD the mannn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (IMakeThemKitKatFries! @ Jul 19 2011, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wuz up male1234, For the past 2 months ive been working out pretty hard and ive managed to pack on a good amount of weight in a short time, and let me tell you there is no secret to gaining weight, you just got to eat eat eat and eat some more.

The best way for you to gain weight is simply to workout. You dont mention working out in your post so im just adding that in, if you take a weight gainer and expect to gain a good amount of weight without working out then your only going to add fat to your body which im sure thats not the kind of weight gain you want. However, you really dont even need to get a weight gainer you just have to learn how to eat right. Few pointers....

1. You should eat every 3 hours.....Make it a priority to have 3 good meals a day and in between each meal incorporate a snack. A snack could be for example a handful of peanuts (which has calories and healthy fat), a big full glass of milk, and a fruit.

2. Depending on your weight and height, you should consume at least 500 more calories then your body needs daily to gain weight. So for example, if your body type requires you to eat 2,000 calories a day to maintain itself, you should add 500 calories more to that a day in order to gain weight in a healthy manner.

3. Eat Protein.......this is a muscles best friend and you should eat at least 0.6grams of protein per pound of body weight daily. If you are serious about working out you should consume about 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily.

4. All the things i mentioned are not very effective without a workout routine. Everybody has got to start from somewhere, god knows i did because i like you am a naturally skinny person, but with time and proper habits its really fun to see how your body slowly grows as well as your muscles.

Steak, Chicken, Lean meats, Nuts, Milk, Eggs, Vegetables, Fruits.......All these are foods that you should aim to consume in your weight gain diet.......and besides the milk for some people, these in general are pretty safe acne free foods.

1. You don't have to eat every 3 hours, that is a huge myth circulating in the bodybuilding realm for quite some time now. Frequent meals will not help burn fat and put on muscle any more than 1 large meal with all your calorie needs for the day will. Circulating this 3 hour myth only causes people to stress about having their next meal on time and hinders further progress.

Here's a good source to expel this myth.
http://www.leangains...s-debunked.html

The rest of your info is great.

#6 coleb

coleb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:27 PM

Get some calorie dense food. Steel cut oats, Sweet potatos, stuff like that. No simple carbs. I try to eat every few hours just to space my meals out so I don't get huge insulin spiles. Gainers are a bad idea if you are acne prone because ingesting all that food at the same time will probably make you break out.

I eat 2 bowls of steel cut oats ever y day. 1 in the morning and one in the evening, 500 calories each so theres 1k cals right there

#7 coleb

coleb

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Thehoper @ Jul 20 2011, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^Smart advice. As for the product by phresh, honestly I'd stay far away, there is a good chance it will screw up your skin. The "secret" is no secret, you have to eat like there is no tomorrow. I've been a hard gainer my whole life, I'm on a 5k calorie diet right now. I'm the guy who has worked for every lb of muscle. Eat 5-6 meals a day, eating a ton at one time is terrible for us acne people as most of us have poor digestion organs, and we cannot digest much more then 1k calories per meal. I always try to eat around 800 calorie meals 6 times a day.

A big thing to remember is that it's not about how much you eat but what you actually digest. Anything you don't digest will just be causing you a whole lot of digestive issues, inflammation, IBS, you name it, don't overeat - eat smart. When you do have a large meal, take a digestive enzyme, they are life savers.

Try to have 2 sweet potatoes everyday, boiled. All tubers are great for calories and are easily digested compared to other high calorie foods. Sprout grains. Google and learn how to. Most are the same guideline, buy a sprouting jar, soak for 12 hours, rinse heavily and drain, place a cloth over the top, place at an angle and allow to sprout for 24-48 hours or once they have 1/4 inch root. The difference between sprouted and non sprouted grains in apples and organges, they get digested in completely different ways, and you will actually benefit from the sprouts. I also sprout all beans and seeds.

And yeah as the guy above said, none of this matters without proper exercise. What kind of athlete are you? What are your goals, what kind of workouts do you do? Exercise 100% matters over nutrition, which is why guys in jail eating nothing but shit carbs can still get as massive as pro weight lifters. It's simple, they put in a TON of dedication and hard work. Nutrition is what you use to go levels beyond, but you can't get there without pure hard work first.

Holy sh** haha, I also started sprouting lentils. I eat a bunch every day, they are a complete protein so its like eating meat.

#8 Jërëmÿnör

Jërëmÿnör

Kamehame-at me bro

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:50 PM

Weight gainers are definitely convenient, and you can always just make your own.
They are nothing more than calorie dense meal replacements, possibly with some added amino acids.
Just blend a multi vit, protein of choice, carb of choice (grind whatever into flour), and fat of choice. if the one you've noticed results with seemed to have more BCAA's, glutamine or something like that in their profile, these are dirt cheap ingredients if you buy them plain, so toss in a scoop of that.
Just make sure the foods you use were ones you know you can tolerate, so you should be fine

#9 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (RjD the mannn @ Jul 20 2011, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. You don't have to eat every 3 hours, that is a huge myth circulating in the bodybuilding realm for quite some time now. Frequent meals will not help burn fat and put on muscle any more than 1 large meal with all your calorie needs for the day will. Circulating this 3 hour myth only causes people to stress about having their next meal on time and hinders further progress.

Eating several times throughout the day is much easier to attain goals and not kill yourself. Who is going to sit down and have a 4k meal? After a 1k meal my stomach lining wants to explode. Yeah back in my teen days when I had BK and McD's every other day, eating all those non-filling calories is easy, but when your eating whole nutrient dense foods, it is very hard to get that many calories in one sitting.

Like I said before, most of us have digestive issues, overeating is a VERY bad idea, which will result in further digestive issues and a lot of acne. Another thing everyone has to keep in mind is what kind of body you have. If weight has always been easy to a person, then they have it much easier when it comes to nutrition. I can't believe when I talk to 220lb guys who eat a caloric restriction diet of no more then 2k calories. And yet they are benching over 300 and squatting over 400. That tells us all how much genes play a factor. If I ate 2k calories a day I would drop 50lbs in a month.

Edit: Just read that article you posted. It's funny how he posts a pic of a guy doing his 16 hour fast reccomendation and the guy is big and ripped, that guy has great genetics. I could never, ever, do that. I would get too skinny. Any hard gainer needs to eat, a lot, and many times during the day. I also could never eat once a day as I train twice a day. If I didn't eat after a morning session of sparring or plyometrics my body would shut down. I'd get those intense spasms, shaking, body just freaking out because it NEEDS nutrition.

Edited by Thehoper, 20 July 2011 - 04:17 PM.

#10 RjD the mannn

RjD the mannn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Thehoper @ Jul 20 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (RjD the mannn @ Jul 20 2011, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Eating several times throughout the day is much easier to attain goals and not kill yourself. Who is going to sit down and have a 4k meal? After a 1k meal my stomach lining wants to explode. Yeah back in my teen days when I had BK and McD's every other day, eating all those non-filling calories is easy, but when your eating whole nutrient dense foods, it is very hard to get that many calories in one sitting.

Like I said before, most of us have digestive issues, overeating is a VERY bad idea, which will result in further digestive issues and a lot of acne. Another thing everyone has to keep in mind is what kind of body you have. If weight has always been easy to a person, then they have it much easier when it comes to nutrition. I can't believe when I talk to 220lb guys who eat a caloric restriction diet of no more then 2k calories. And yet they are benching over 300 and squatting over 400. That tells us all how much genes play a factor. If I ate 2k calories a day I would drop 50lbs in a month.

Edit: Just read that article you posted. It's funny how he posts a pic of a guy doing his 16 hour fast reccomendation and the guy is big and ripped, that guy has great genetics. I could never, ever, do that. I would get too skinny. Any hard gainer needs to eat, a lot, and many times during the day. I also could never eat once a day as I train twice a day. If I didn't eat after a morning session of sparring or plyometrics my body would shut down. I'd get those intense spasms, shaking, body just freaking out because it NEEDS nutrition.

Martin Berkham is pretty damn well known and respected in the fitness industry, and is backed up by major names like alan aragon. None of the guys he trains with his 16/8 programs are gifted genetically, and even Martin was a chubby kid during his youth.

I'm not telling you to eat 1 big 4k calorie meal, but most people have an entire evening at their disposal and you can easily fit 3 big meals in there.

You shouldn't be having spasms or shaking if you're eating SATIATING meals, obviously you are not. You are probably not a hard gainer either, as that is extremely rare.

You can't look at a picture and discredit years of research and tons of studies done on Intermittent Fasting and say it's because of somebodies genetics. I have been using a modified protocol, fasting for up to 18 hours at a time then eating in a 6 hour window....it's not hard and you don't lose muscle mass..and I'm losing body fat while gaining strength.if you think you would drop an intense amount of weight if you don't eat then you are focusing on water weight...50 pounds in a month would never be muscle mass.

If you wanted to eat after a morning of plyometrics you could! You just stop eating earlier the night before....meal timing is not rocket science....it's just taking the bro science out of it. This is a much easier way for people to lose weight and gain/maintain strength without having to cook a weeks worth of food and eat 5-7 meals a day....some people actually like having lives that don't revolve around tupperware.

Funny how you read an article and immediately say it would affect you negatively, do some more reading...

Bigger meals won't affect your digestion anymore than 6 small meals would.....your body is using the same amount of energy to digest each meal....one way would be 6 smaller usages of energy compared to 3 usages of energy...both adding up to the same amount of energy used. You're not going to wreck your digestive system by eating you calories in an 8 hour window...that's plenty of time to have all the calories you need in the evening.

#11 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (RjD the mannn @ Jul 20 2011, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Martin Berkham is pretty damn well known and respected in the fitness industry, and is backed up by major names like alan aragon. None of the guys he trains with his 16/8 programs are gifted genetically, and even Martin was a chubby kid during his youth.

You just said it yourself, he was a chubby kid. Weight gain was never an issue. It's easy to take some big jacked russian or polack and put him on a diet to lose fat and retain their muscle. We are all born with pregenetic amount of miscle fibers. Some guys are just born with more muscle, period. And yeah never heard of the guy but don't doubt your word, he definitely knows a lot of knowledge. Just very strongly on body types similar to his.

I'm not telling you to eat 1 big 4k calorie meal, but most people have an entire evening at their disposal and you can easily fit 3 big meals in there.

Could have sworn you originally said to eat one meal a day, now 3. I was going off what you originally said unless I read it wrong.

You shouldn't be having spasms or shaking if you're eating SATIATING meals, obviously you are not. You are probably not a hard gainer either, as that is extremely rare.

Come work out with me for an hour, you'll be shaking in your boots haha. No but it's not about diet, believe me I know plenty about nutrition, when you do an extremely vigorous workout that completely deplete glycogen levels, and your body has no insulin to keep it going, you'll definitely have shakes. And don't know what the hell ya mean but I can't be a hardgainer lol, and how can you say it's extremely rare? Some bodies are more efficient at retaining their proper weight levels then others. There ARE people who can eat a ton and never gain anything or hardly at all. I read a study before where they had a bunch of hard gainers go on 6 week intense high calorie diets and also a weight lifting schedule. They gained weight but almost all had problems by the end, and after the study they lost all the weight they had gained. Like some insane rubberband haha, you can stretch and stretch, slowly making progress, but once you let go it shoots right back.

You can't look at a picture and discredit years of research and tons of studies done on Intermittent Fasting and say it's because of somebodies genetics. I have been using a modified protocol, fasting for up to 18 hours at a time then eating in a 6 hour window....it's not hard and you don't lose muscle mass..and I'm losing body fat while gaining strength.if you think you would drop an intense amount of weight if you don't eat then you are focusing on water weight...50 pounds in a month would never be muscle mass.

I've read all about it, I could say the same for you judging my knowledge based on one post. I agreed with a lot of what IF diets say, and I felt really healthy while on them. The thing is this topic is about gaining weight, and for many people IF diets result in weight loss, not gain. Yeah 50 pounds was an exaggeration, but through experimenting it doesn't worth for me.

If you wanted to eat after a morning of plyometrics you could! You just stop eating earlier the night before....meal timing is not rocket science....it's just taking the bro science out of it. This is a much easier way for people to lose weight and gain/maintain strength without having to cook a weeks worth of food and eat 5-7 meals a day....some people actually like having lives that don't revolve around tupperware.

..ok. Yeah I know how to eat, yeah it's not rocket science, weeks worth of food? Don't know anyone who does that, I cook for a day, if your good at cooking it's not hard to whip up quick meals, I've been cooking meals my whole life. And yeah food isn't my life either, but it damn sure is a big part haha. I love eating, and I don't do what normal usual people do. Most people don't need food schedules.

Funny how you read an article and immediately say it would affect you negatively, do some more reading...

Bigger meals won't affect your digestion anymore than 6 small meals would.....your body is using the same amount of energy to digest each meal....one way would be 6 smaller usages of energy compared to 3 usages of energy...both adding up to the same amount of energy used. You're not going to wreck your digestive system by eating you calories in an 8 hour window...that's plenty of time to have all the calories you need in the evening.

Wait what? How much energy we use will yes always be the same, around 70%. That has absolutely nothing to do with health lol. The main thing is that larger meals create larger insulin spikes, which then causes higher blood sugar. Anyone with skin problems or digestive issues wants to stay far clear of both. Smaller meals means less insulin being sent to break the food down. And small frequent meals allows our digestive track to stay in a continuous mode of breaking down small meals, having a break, small meal, break.

btw I'm not arguing, just discussing. wink.gif Sorry if I come off strong, I'm just interested. Arguing on the ineternet is hilarious to me, I'd have to punch myself for being so serious.

Edited by Thehoper, 20 July 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#12 Bosie

Bosie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

correct me if im wrong but arent avocados super effective in gaining weight and, because of their low sugar, are pretty good for acne sufferes. I try to eat two a day.

Also pumpkin and sunflower seeds are apparently good for weight gain.

#13 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Yeah, both very calorie dense foods. Anything calorie dense is great for weight gain. Avocados, dried fruit, bananas/apples, tubers, nuts/seeds, grains/beans, meats and fish.

#14 Phresh

Phresh

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Don't hate on my suggestion I'd never take the shit myself. Real food tastes too good to substitute a fake meal for it.

#15 RjD the mannn

RjD the mannn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

QUOTE (Thehoper @ Jul 20 2011, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (RjD the mannn @ Jul 20 2011, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You just said it yourself, he was a chubby kid. Weight gain was never an issue. It's easy to take some big jacked russian or polack and put him on a diet to lose fat and retain their muscle. We are all born with pregenetic amount of miscle fibers. Some guys are just born with more muscle, period. And yeah never heard of the guy but don't doubt your word, he definitely knows a lot of knowledge. Just very strongly on body types similar to his.

Could have sworn you originally said to eat one meal a day, now 3. I was going off what you originally said unless I read it wrong.

Come work out with me for an hour, you'll be shaking in your boots haha. No but it's not about diet, believe me I know plenty about nutrition, when you do an extremely vigorous workout that completely deplete glycogen levels, and your body has no insulin to keep it going, you'll definitely have shakes. And don't know what the hell ya mean but I can't be a hardgainer lol, and how can you say it's extremely rare? Some bodies are more efficient at retaining their proper weight levels then others. There ARE people who can eat a ton and never gain anything or hardly at all. I read a study before where they had a bunch of hard gainers go on 6 week intense high calorie diets and also a weight lifting schedule. They gained weight but almost all had problems by the end, and after the study they lost all the weight they had gained. Like some insane rubberband haha, you can stretch and stretch, slowly making progress, but once you let go it shoots right back.

I've read all about it, I could say the same for you judging my knowledge based on one post. I agreed with a lot of what IF diets say, and I felt really healthy while on them. The thing is this topic is about gaining weight, and for many people IF diets result in weight loss, not gain. Yeah 50 pounds was an exaggeration, but through experimenting it doesn't worth for me.

..ok. Yeah I know how to eat, yeah it's not rocket science, weeks worth of food? Don't know anyone who does that, I cook for a day, if your good at cooking it's not hard to whip up quick meals, I've been cooking meals my whole life. And yeah food isn't my life either, but it damn sure is a big part haha. I love eating, and I don't do what normal usual people do. Most people don't need food schedules.

Wait what? How much energy we use will yes always be the same, around 70%. That has absolutely nothing to do with health lol. The main thing is that larger meals create larger insulin spikes, which then causes higher blood sugar. Anyone with skin problems or digestive issues wants to stay far clear of both. Smaller meals means less insulin being sent to break the food down. And small frequent meals allows our digestive track to stay in a continuous mode of breaking down small meals, having a break, small meal, break.

btw I'm not arguing, just discussing. wink.gif Sorry if I come off strong, I'm just interested. Arguing on the ineternet is hilarious to me, I'd have to punch myself for being so serious.

You can use IF for bulking and maintaining a steady bodyfat percentage and for cutting, it's not just about losing weight, it's about total body recomposition.

Martin was a chubby kid, meaning he had awful genetics, then he was a skinny stick for modeling shoots, NOW he's jacked after being the skinny twig...I wasn't using that as a reference to weight gain or loss it was a reference to his genetics.

I originally said one meal, and if you can fit your macros into that one meal then it's possible....it was just a poor example I guess. Though there are great trainers out there only eating one meal a day at night and still accomplishing their goals.

I don't have much time to read the rest, but yeah not arguing...just a conversation. I shot back because it didn't seem like you took a look at the site before typing what you did about genetics and IF.