Photo

*Omega 3* My second try for clear skin...

pantothenic pantothenic acid fish oil

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 mr_man

mr_man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hi there,
Just registered to this site, this is my first post / thread.

I want to keep a daily log for anyone interested in trying fish oil (Omega 3) to help clear their skin. I thought I'd give it a go as I never eat fish so perhaps lacking allot of Omega 3.

I'm not sure if I qualify for having light acne or if it's just a bad case of spots / pimples. Whatever the case, it's persistent and I hate it.

What was my first go at clear skin? B5 - Pantothenic acid - 10G daily.. Done nothing for me after 3 and a half months, just cost allot.

Chosen Brand of fish oil: Carlson's.
Bought from: eBay.
Price Paid: £17.50
Supply: 130 Capsules.

This is my first day on the dosage I was recommended ( 3 Pills Daily ).

Day 1.
Picture2.gif
Picture1.gif

Edited by mr_man, 18 July 2011 - 10:39 AM.

#2 Ghost08

Ghost08

Stay Beautiful!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

Fish oil burps suck.

Good luck.

My Personal Log Detailing my adventures from "Natural to Not".

CURRENT REGIMEN:
(AM)
Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar for Acne Prone Skin, Clindamycin Phostphate Topical 1%, Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 45, Equate Absolutely Beaming Daily Moisturizer, (I mix this and the sunblock together and the sunblock helps mattify the moisturizer), 1x Vitamin D3, 1x Borage Oil, 2x Burdock Root, 1x Vitamin E, 1x Vitamin A, 2x Calcium, 1x Vitamin B Complex, 1x Vitamin C.
(PM)
Ortho-Tri Cyclen Lo, Cetaphil Anti-Bacterial Gentle Cleansing Bar, Paula's Choice 2% BHA Liquid, Clindamycin Phosphate Topical 1%, Grapeseed Oil.

#3 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:26 AM

How is your diet? And your acne is very mild just so ya know. Are you young? Your skin looks like mine in 9th grade.

#4 mr_man

mr_man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (Thehoper @ Jul 18 2011, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is your diet? And your acne is very mild just so ya know. Are you young? Your skin looks like mine in 9th grade.

I probably don't really have the best diet, i suppose my average day would consist of:
Breakfast: Some form of cereal, cornflakes or similar
lunch: couple of cheese sandwiches, bag of crisps, chocolate bar, 2 pieces of fruit.
Dinner: some form of meat, potatoes and a few vegetables.

I mainly drink water than anything.

I have just turned 19.

#5 GreenEyes33

GreenEyes33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (mr_man @ Jul 18 2011, 02:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Thehoper @ Jul 18 2011, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I probably don't really have the best diet, i suppose my average day would consist of:
Breakfast: Some form of cereal, cornflakes or similar
lunch: couple of cheese sandwiches, bag of crisps, chocolate bar, 2 pieces of fruit.
Dinner: some form of meat, potatoes and a few vegetables.

I mainly drink water than anything.

I have just turned 19.

Not trying to be rude, because mine was JUST as bad, but you're diet is likely contributing to your acne quite a bit! I doubt adding in omega 3 will help much in that case. Consider ditching the junk food, and the cereal and other carbs, and eating lots of meat, veggies, and fish. And eggs too! Also be sure you're getting a good 8 hours sleep every night in darkness around the same time, it really does help too smile.gif
What's working for me:

Diet:
-Avoiding gluten. Small portions of rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes and quinua for carbs.
-No milk, but I do enjoy small quanities of other full fat dairy
-Lots of fruits, veggies, water, eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, and occasionally red meat
-Green smoothies a few times a week
-Green tea everyday

Supplement:
-1000 IU D3 on non-sunny days. Will up it to 4000 again come fall.
-Zinc, 50 mg twice a week
-Omega 3, 3 times per day

Routine:

Evening- remove makeup with a few drops of jojoba oil, clean with hemp oil soap, moisturize with a bit more jojoba oil.
-Sleeping for a minimum of 8 hours a night, in darkness
-Walking the dog everyday and yoga once a week

Eating as healthy and organically as possible, applying only natural products to body, stressing less, exercising more, getting sunshine, camping, laughing lots.

________________________________________________________________________________

Link to my log, complete with progress photos!: CLICK!

#6 mr_man

mr_man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

[/quote]

Not trying to be rude, because mine was JUST as bad, but you're diet is likely contributing to your acne quite a bit! I doubt adding in omega 3 will help much in that case. Consider ditching the junk food, and the cereal and other carbs, and eating lots of meat, veggies, and fish. And eggs too! Also be sure you're getting a good 8 hours sleep every night in darkness around the same time, it really does help too smile.gif
[/quote]

I never know what to believe when it comes to diet, whenever i look into it relating to spots i get mixed results, some people / sites saying that what you eat has nothing to do with production of spots and the other way round somewhere else.
I had about a month period of giving up junk food but it seemed to make little difference.
I'm also trying to gain weight as I started weightlifting about a year ago so I'm pretty much eating whatever I see in the fridge/cupboard aha.

If it is junk food related i don't understand why some people can eat as much as they like and never get one spot.. grinds my gears..

Oh and don't worry about being rude.. as long as it's followed by advice..

#7 Smack'd

Smack'd

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:49 PM

Your first post and thread and you already know how to color your text and stuff??
God damn, I've been here since November and I didn't even know doing something like that was possible.

Edit: Just found out how to do it and it's simple as ****

Edited by Smack'd, 18 July 2011 - 10:51 PM.

Veni, Vidi, Vici.

1 more warning and I'm otta here for good. Just leaving this here as a reminder. ;3

#8 mr_man

mr_man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:00 AM

Day 2:

Maybe a slight improvement, nothing really too noticeable.

Picture1.gif
Picture2.gif
Picture3.gif

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (mr_man @ Jul 18 2011, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I never know what to believe when it comes to diet, whenever i look into it relating to spots i get mixed results, some people / sites saying that what you eat has nothing to do with production of spots and the other way round somewhere else.

Those people/sites are wrong. It is not possible for diet to not affect your acne. It's how you obtain the nutrients your body needs to function well. And crappy, empty calories, excess sugar/refined carbs and binge eating that spike blood, faux foods your body just has to get rid of, foods you have an intolerance for, etc. all cause bad things to happen. Things like screwing up hormones and increasing inflammation that lead to acne, and impairing your bodies ability to deal with stress, for example.

Sleep, circadian rhythm, and the right kind of physical activity are also important to helping your body manage itself.

More info on all the above and more: http://www.acne.org/...e...html&st=120

The only thing you are doing well is drinking mostly water as opposed to sugary drinks and milk.

Edited by alternativista, 19 July 2011 - 05:21 PM.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#10 GreenEyes33

GreenEyes33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:19 AM

I know this sounds like a complete pain in the ass, but go to your library and borrow 'The Clear Skin Diet'. It explains, in very scientific yet understandable terms how, and why certain foods effect acne, and which foods to eat for healthy skin. Diet absolutely effects your skin. I didnt want to believe it, but it does! There are very, very few people who wouldnt see improvement from a healthy diet, and those are people who put weird chemicals on their faces.

I would suggest a paleo diet for you. Visit Marks Daily Apple and search around for his ideas. Its about eating high protein, high (good) fat, lots of veggies, some fruit, and little grain. My husband is 6'2 and weighed 165 for 10 years despite constantly weight lifting and eating a ton, but as soon as we cut out carbs (esp wheat) and had lots of eggs, salmon, avacados, meat, and nuts he gained 10 lbs and it's NOT fat, its like in his chest. The idea is that our ancestors didnt have acne because they didnt eat like us. Japanese people didnt have acne (up until recently) because they didnt eat like us. Primitive societies DONT have acne (or alzheimers, asthma, parkinsons, diabetes) because they dont eat like us. Start off slow! But I mean, most guys love hearing 'yeah eat all the eggs and meat you want'. Just make sure you eat a good amount of veggies too smile.gif

What's working for me:

Diet:
-Avoiding gluten. Small portions of rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes and quinua for carbs.
-Lots of fruits, veggies, water, eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, and occasionally red meat
-Green tea everyday

Supplement:

Routine:

Evening- remove makeup with a few drops of jojoba oil, clean with hemp oil soap, moisturize with a bit more jojoba oil.

Eating as healthy and organically as possible, applying only natural products to body, stressing less, exercising more, getting sunshine, camping, laughing lots.

________________________________________________________________________________

#11 mr_man

mr_man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

I'll look into that diet you recommended,
Since allot of people are now saying it's really to do with what I'm eating should I continue to take Fish Oil tablets?
I don't like fish to much so I couldn't imagine adding it to my diet.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

#12 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

You can still take the fish oil capsules. The idea is that these aren't medications, and it's unlikely that adding one single supplement will clear up your skin. When you start to do enough things that support your skin from the inside (nutrient dense anti-inflammitory foods at least 80-90% of the time, lifestyle, sleep, getting at least 10-15 minutes of sun every day, exercising, supplements, drinking water, managing stress, etc.), you'll get the results that many of the people have here, and there's tons of great sources and guides here to help you figure it all out. Good luck!

#13 mr_man

mr_man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

Right okay then,
I'll continue to take 1 capsule daily and cut any crap food out of my diet as of today,
I'll continue with the picture posts.

#14 mr_man

mr_man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:23 AM

Day 3:

Not allot of change today either, the right hand side of my face seems clearer but the left hand side looks a bit inflamed, I don't think it helps that I had just shaved.
I'm not expecting much change until a week maybe 2.

Picture1.gif
Picture2.gif
Picture3.gif

#15 GreenEyes33

GreenEyes33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (mr_man @ Jul 19 2011, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll look into that diet you recommended,
Since allot of people are now saying it's really to do with what I'm eating should I continue to take Fish Oil tablets?
I don't like fish to much so I couldn't imagine adding it to my diet.

Thanks for the advice so far everyone!

I'd keep taking them smile.gif They're very good for you! Especially if you dont eat fish. Omega 3 fortified eggs are also good, but either way keep taking the omega 3.
What's working for me:

Diet:
-Green tea everyday

Supplement:

Routine:

#16 mr_man

mr_man

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

Is moisturising after shaving good or bad?
I normally get dry skin from the shaving gel so add moisturiser.

#17 neverforget

neverforget

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:27 AM

Are your capsules omega 3 only? Judging by your current diet, you certainly won't need any supplemented omega 6.

#18 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (mr_man @ Jul 20 2011, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should be fine, you're the best judge of if it breaks you out or not, but that should be fine!

And neverforget brings up a good point, many "fish oil" capsules are bundled with omega 6 for some silly reason, and all you want is the omega 3s, specifically a high concentration of EPA & DHA. Carlson's is a good brand though, and I've never seen any of those "3-6-9" capsules, but you should look out for them in the future! Also, try to purchase your fish oil from reputable sources, because that ebay bought fish oil could be rancid, or exposed to heat/poor storage, which lowers it's NV & overall health benefits.

#19 GreenEyes33

GreenEyes33

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (tim12 @ Jul 20 2011, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (mr_man @ Jul 20 2011, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You should be fine, you're the best judge of if it breaks you out or not, but that should be fine!

And neverforget brings up a good point, many "fish oil" capsules are bundled with omega 6 for some silly reason, and all you want is the omega 3s, specifically a high concentration of EPA & DHA. Carlson's is a good brand though, and I've never seen any of those "3-6-9" capsules, but you should look out for them in the future! Also, try to purchase your fish oil from reputable sources, because that ebay bought fish oil could be rancid, or exposed to heat/poor storage, which lowers it's NV & overall health benefits.

Not trying to jack his post, but can you guys advise me a bit on the fishoils? Just realized today I've been taking omega369 (not 3) for a while. I eat salmon and omega 3 eggs pretty regularly (4 times a week combined) but I also have other meat 3 times a week and nuts almost everday. What do you think of the fact that I'm taking 369 given my current diet? Too much omega 6??? Would this be causing my skin to get worse? It was getting better sad.gif
What's working for me:

Diet:
-Green tea everyday

Supplement:

Routine:

#20 tim12

tim12

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

Well, not all omega sixes are bad, like evening primrose oil, black currant oil, and borage oil, which contain gamma-linolenic acid, an anti-inflammatory omega 6 that is sorely lacking in most diets. Linoleic acid (found in vegetable oils, and higher in "bad" oils like corn) is converted to GLA, it's also converted into arachidonic acid, an inflammatory fat. There are three main Omega 3 fats , Eicosapentaenoic, Docosahexaenoic, and Alpha-linoleic acid. ALA is mostly obtained through seed oils, like chia, hemp, canola, and more. It's converted into EPA in the body at minimal amounts, which is also a precursor to DHA. EPA and DHA is what you want as far as fighting inflammation. EPA and DHA are readily available in fish, and they get it from the aglae they eat (this is one reason why Spirulina and Chlorella are great super foods/supplements). The body makes it's own omega 9s from unsaturated fat, so you don't really need to supplement with it.

Tl;DR version

Eat your fish, look for high DHA and especially EPA in fish oil supplements. Use oils like olive oil and coconut oil over other vegetable oils like corn, and avoid omega 3-6-9 unless they have the right kinds of fats (which I've honestly never seen except for the fish oil being right).

Oh, and Omega sixes aren't bad, we need both, but the "American" diet is sorely lacking in omega 3 and way too high in omega 6.

Edited by tim12, 20 July 2011 - 11:16 AM.