Photo

This is the Day

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:38 AM

Hi everyone! You may well know me from the topical retinoids message boards where I have spent a month agonising over whether to stay on Differin or to take the Roaccutane that my derm prescribed me.

I have finally decided that I cannot take the mental strain that acne is putting me under - it is time to take serious action. So here goes!

I am a 35 year old female, full-time mother of a five year old and seven year old. I have had acne for the last 2.5 years or so. 1.5 years ago it changed from mild to moderate and now it is somewhere at the more severe end of moderate. I do not want to spend the rest of my 30's feeling depressed about my looks. Without acne I was very happy with the way I looked (sorry if that sounds vain) and I just want to feel comfortable in myself again before the ageing process really kicks in!

I am seeing my derm tomorrow - as I am supposed to have been taking the Roaccutane for the last month. I will have to break the news to him that I have only just started! I would like to get some more info from him on the dosage he intends to put me on, how much it is going to increase by etc.

I have been prescribed 20mg of Roaccutane once a day for the first month. I took the first pill today - wish me luck - I am VERY nervous!

One question - I have been on Differin for the past 14 weeks - is there any chance that this would make my IB less severe?!

Edited by Roisin75, 18 July 2011 - 05:35 AM.

Roaccutane course completed 19th February 2012

#2 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:42 AM

I don't see many people on this site who started on 20 mg. I'm wondering if there is any one out there who can tell me what to expect in the few weeks on my dosage? I seem to be on a much lower dose than everyone else! I hope this is going to work....

#3 No_ones_secret

No_ones_secret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:46 AM

QUOTE (Roisin75 @ Jul 18 2011, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't see many people on this site who started on 20 mg. I'm wondering if there is any one out there who can tell me what to expect in the few weeks on my dosage? I seem to be on a much lower dose than everyone else! I hope this is going to work....

I started on 20 mg. I don't think it's that uncommon. My IB wasn't horrible, but it was definitely not super pleasant. But I think starting low helps your body ease in and adjust. Mostly I just broke out in places different than I normally do. I broke out on my back, my chest, and my chin. I think the chin is the worst because the skin there is so sensitive and it's so noticeable there. That all happened in the first 2 weeks. I tried to keep using my topicals and my skin was like HORRIBLE, breaking out and flaking. But then I went to Sephora and this girl was so nice and gave me all these samples and convinced me to try not using any BP/SA for a few days and just try gentle, moisturizing products. I was only going to try it for a day or two but my skin improved so much that I haven't used topicals since. My skin is still dry (mostly my lips), but it's not flaking. So even though you might think 20 is low enough that you can still use stuff, I would recommend against it if you can stand it. But I def think it's better for your body to start lower so it's not such a shock to your system.

Accutane:
Month 1 - 20 mg
Month 2 - 30 mg
Month 3 - 30 mg
Month 4 - 60 mg

Month 5 - 60 mg

Month 6 - 60 mg

Month 7 - 60 mg

DONE!!!

My Accutane Log

#4 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

Hi No Ones Secret - thanks for replying! Yes, I'm glad I'm starting on 20 mg too - I am hoping it won't hit me too hard and that I will be able to ease into this without too many problems (touch wood). I stopped using all topicals and my antibiotics a couple of days before I took the first pill. My skin is suddenly really really greasy - I don't know if this is because I have stopped the Differin or if it's the Roaccutane.

So today I went to see the derm. It was supposed to be my one month check-in for blood tests etc. but I had to tell him I only started yesterday! I asked him about the dosage he intended to put me on. He said next month 40 mg and then stay on that for a bit and then up to 60 mg but it would all depend on how I reacted to the drug. If I struggle he said he might keep me on a lower dose but have me taking it for longer - maybe up to seven months. He also said that he thought my IB may not be too bad because by acne isn't severe - he said I might have a bad week and that would probably be it. We'll see!

It is only day 2, so I am sure most of the side effects are yet to come. I have had a slight headache all day, but apart from that, nothing to report. Oh yes, and the greasy skin I mentioned earlier!

Just wondering about something. My sister gave me some moisturiser today - Kiehls (I love Kiehls) Ultra Oil-Free Moisturiser. It is oil-free, paraben free and unscented. However, I noticed that it has menthol listed in the ingredients, and when I put it on it tingles slightly. Is menthol a no-no with acne? And would it be a bad idea to use it on Roaccutane?

Edited by Roisin75, 18 July 2011 - 01:33 PM.

#5 UKLady

UKLady

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

Hi there
I started off at 20mg, then moved up 10 mg a month ... got as far as 40mg a day but couldn't tolerate the side effects (blurred vision) and also was still breaking out, so I decided to reduce back down to 30, my skin cleared and have stayed on 30mg (on month 5 now...I intend to stay the full 7 month course).

30mg a day has worked great for me (I'm 55kg). Yeah, the first month or so is a bit yuck, but it definitely gets better with time.

I would probably avoid menthol as Accutane makes your skin more sensitive, so it might sting. I'm currently using Olay Regenerist moisturisers and they're pretty good.

Good luck biggrin.gif

Edited by UKLady, 18 July 2011 - 05:09 PM.

#6 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:24 AM

Hi UK lady! It's good to hear that you are doing so well on a milder dosage. I am not keen on pushing my body too far with the side effects. I'd definitely be happier to take it for longer with less effects. Do you know if it is still as effective? What month did you start clearing?

It's a shame about my lovely Kiehls moisturiser. Are the Olay Regenerist Moisturisers quite light?

Very tired today even though I got plenty of sleep last night. No other effects though.

My skin is pretty appalling at the moment - a lot of the existing spots I have look really red and angry.

This is going to be a tough summer, I have my sister's wedding in September (lots of Irish relatives who last time they saw me I had perfect skin - great). And also a big family holiday mid-August - I am already worrying how I am going to cope with swimming pool/beach etc. I am also going to have the kids full-time from next week when they break up from school. All I really want to do is curl up, eat chocolate, watch old movies and hide from the world!

Edited by Roisin75, 19 July 2011 - 05:32 AM.

#7 Sanderella24

Sanderella24

Sanderella24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

Good luck girl!

#8 UKLady

UKLady

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hi
I read on here that there is an ideal accumulative dose, so I worked out that for me, 30mg a day fo 7 months will reach that. I guess you could try a higher dose for a shorter period and just see how you get on with the side effects.

I started clearing in Month 4. Month 1 I had some IB, month 2 on 30mg wasn't too bad, month 3 on 40mg breaking out again, months 4 and 5 on 30mg have been great, skin totally clear. Had a few eye problems though, conjuntivitis and styes but I guess that's just another S.E. of accutane. And I still have faint red marks, enlarged pores and a few indented scars - I'll ask the derm if they can recommend anything for scars once I finish the treatment.

I like Olay and don't find it too heavy, the night cream especially is good but there are loads out there to choose from. Prob best to stick to something fairly bland without essential oils etc. that might irritate.

Edited by UKLady, 19 July 2011 - 09:35 AM.

#9 Reealgood

Reealgood

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:27 AM

good luck!! smile.gif

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger.

#10 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:22 AM

Thanks everyone! I'll be checking on everyones' progress and hopefully we will weather the storm (although UK lady, you are in a very enviable position!).

Here's to no more zits - and being able to drink booze again!

#11 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:12 AM

Day 5

No side effects so far apart from being very, very tired and quite low. It's manageable though - I am still able to carry on with day to day stuff.

Anyway, I found this info on Roaccutane and what to expect each month during the treatment. If it's correct, it should be pretty useful.

http://www.wikihealt...taking_Accutane

#12 No_ones_secret

No_ones_secret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:22 AM

I use Olay products too and love them! Even before accutane it was the only moisturizer I could use that never broke me out.

Accutane:
Month 1 - 20 mg
Month 2 - 30 mg
Month 3 - 30 mg
Month 4 - 60 mg

Month 5 - 60 mg

Month 6 - 60 mg

Month 7 - 60 mg

DONE!!!

My Accutane Log

#13 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks No One's Secret - which ones do you use? It is interesting that Olay is so popular - I have read loads of positive stuff about it on the boards here - I have always thought of Olay as likely to be full of all things bad for acne!

#14 No_ones_secret

No_ones_secret

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:06 AM

QUOTE (Roisin75 @ Jul 21 2011, 06:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks No One's Secret - which ones do you use? It is interesting that Olay is so popular - I have read loads of positive stuff about it on the boards here - I have always thought of Olay as likely to be full of all things bad for acne!

In the morning I use Oil of Olay SPF15 (just the standard one that comes in the little bottle), then at night I use Night of Olay firming cream.

Accutane:
Month 1 - 20 mg
Month 2 - 30 mg
Month 3 - 30 mg
Month 4 - 60 mg

Month 5 - 60 mg

Month 6 - 60 mg

Month 7 - 60 mg

DONE!!!

My Accutane Log

#15 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2011 - 06:45 AM

Thanks no-one's secret!

Edited by Roisin75, 22 July 2011 - 06:45 AM.

#16 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:10 AM

Day 8

Just got back from a weekend camping with my kids' school!

Apart from feeling a bit tired and headachey it was fine and I had a great time. My lips are a bit dry and I have managed to burn my chest and ears - but considering I have been outside and running around for the last two days I feel great.

I was a bit naughty and had 3 small bottles of beer last night. But I won't be doing that very often, so I suppose it was ok.

I am trying to get the courage up to stop wearing makeup for the next few months. I have always had a niggling worry that liquid foundation is what triggered my acne problems. However my skin is so bad that I have got myself into a vicious circle where I don't feel able to go out without it. What do other people do on this board (the ladies, that is)? Do you all wear makeup? Currently I wear Clinique Anti-Blemish foundation - could something that is supposed to be non-comdogenic be contributing to my acne? I have some Laura Mercier Mineral makeup but the coverage isn't great...

Edited by Roisin75, 24 July 2011 - 09:11 AM.

#17 michael scarn

michael scarn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:36 PM

hey roisin, dont worry bout the beer, ive been on it throughout my treatment and its having no effect.

My Roaccutane Log

22 days left, roll on December 12th

#18 Again!

Again!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hey, congrats on starting accutane! Yeah I think that it's normal in the uk to do low dosages for a longer time. I'm on 80mg for 5 months. I think there's pros and cons to each method. I am on day 12 and do not have too many side effects, have not had an IB and have had great results so far. Let's hope that luck stays with me! wink.gif Considering that my husband and I are abstinent, I definitely prefer a shorter duration. Haha.
29 Year Old Female
Started Claravis 7/14/11
6 Months @ 80mg a Day
Ended 1/13/12

A grand total of 14,400mg!
If I'm correct, at 60kg that comes to 240mg per kg.
I believe that 200mg per kg is the most you should have, but they say more depending on how severe your acne is. And considering this is my 3rd course, I'm okay with this very high dosage.

After much research in talking with my dermatologist, Beautypedia.com, makeupalley.com and non-comedogenic charts found @http://www.zerozits..../acnedetect.htm I have decided to use the following toiletries. There is many other brands I could have chosen, but I decided to stick with all natural ingredients. Make-up was a little trickier to find with all natural ingredients for what I wanted. Maybe after my marks diminish, I will be able to switch to a more natural one.

SKINCARE:
Cleanser-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Foaming Cream Cleanser-This removes make-up well
Toner-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Refreshing Mist Toner-This helps to make sure there's no residual make-up
Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica Rainforest" Lush Facial Cream-Use at night
Retinol A-"Tretinoin" 0.05% Perscription-I will use this 1 month post accutane, mixed in my moisturizer
Eye Moisturizer-"Alba Botanica" Green Tea Eye Gel-You don't need this, but I like it
Sunblock For Face-"MyChelle" Replenishing Solar Defense-Use in Morning
Make-up:
Primer-"Giorgio Armani" Fluid Master Primer-Before Foundation
Foundation-"Giorgio Armani" Lasting Silk UV Foundation-I use with a foundation brush
Concealer-"YSL" Anti-Cernes
Loose Setting Powder-"Giorgio Armani" Micro-Fil Loose Powder
Bronzer Powder-"Smashbox" Bronze Lights
Blush-"Dior" Glowing Powder Blush

***I obviously use other make-up also, but I tried to only concentrate on what I use on my skin.

#19 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (michael scarn @ Jul 25 2011, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey roisin, dont worry bout the beer, ive been on it throughout my treatment and its having no effect.

How much do you drink? I'm not a big drinker but I would normally have a can of lager or a glass of wine in the evening. If I had a can/glass every other night do you think that would be ok. Not wishing to sound like a total alcoholic - but I really miss it!

Edited by Roisin75, 26 July 2011 - 04:44 AM.

#20 Roisin75

Roisin75

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE (Again! @ Jul 25 2011, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, congrats on starting accutane! Yeah I think that it's normal in the uk to do low dosages for a longer time. I'm on 80mg for 5 months. I think there's pros and cons to each method. I am on day 12 and do not have too many side effects, have not had an IB and have had great results so far. Let's hope that luck stays with me! ;) Considering that my husband and I are abstinent, I definitely prefer a shorter duration. Haha.

Thanks Again! When you say you have had great results, do you mean your spots are going down? I don't seem to have had an IB so far. My existing spots got really big and angry but they seem to be subsiding. Not much is coming up in their place - touch wood.