5ive's Personal Regimen Log - Mild Acne on Dan Kerr's Regime (DKR)

60 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

@thereisalwayshope thanks for the reply!

Basically I just cut out the crap and ate better and adjusted my regime.

I am completely clear as I was before the holidays. I really think my skin is connected to diet. I pretty much have to eat like a diabetic.

I think anybody who is serious about getting it under control should start researching diet. I think I wasn't eating enough Vitamin C and eating too much dairy. The day I started eating more Vitamin C the breakouts stopped and I started to feel a lot better. Definitely going to keep up the green smoothies!

Edited by 5ive

Posted · Report post

Decided to check in. I have honestly fell off the train a bit. My boyfriend came back home and I've been working a lot. I was in such a good place for a long time and decided to reward myself on multiple occasions with food. And by multiple, I mean almost everyday.

The result was a few pimples here and there. I would get one on my shoulder. Or one on my chin. They were always just whiteheads, never super inflamed.

But then I indulged some more and had ice cream and fries. I ended up with a CYST under my eye that is SO PAINFUL. It's been there for 3 days, and showing a few whiteheads. It's embarrassing.

Honestly, it's just SO hard to stay on a dairy/gluten-free diet. I feel really amazing while on it, so much energy. But it is HARD cooking for yourself all the time and avoiding foods and living a "normal" life. I guess everything in moderation and cheating once and awhile is normal. But I always take it too far and pig out sometimes!

Anyway, I decided to add Vitamin D3 in my diet, around 5,000 IU a day. I noticed that my skin when I eat badly gets oily. Like, I feel the oil slicking on my face. It's not a nice feeling. And this leads to break outs.

When I eat properly, the oil dramatically decreases. I started back on the gluten/dairy-free diet and already have notice a difference, and maybe the D3 is helping, too.

The reason why I started D3 is because I seriously feel like I'm lacking sunlight in my life. I live in Canada and our days are getting shorter and the sun is weak. Last year after Christmas I got a big breakout, and it had everything to do with the sugary treats my family stuck in my face that I couldn't resist and also the lack of sun.

I notice a huge difference when I get a lot of sun. In Australia and in Phoenix when I visited, my acne cleared right up. I don't have time to try to get adequate amounts of sunlight in Canada's winter. So here's to supplementing this year!

Posted · Report post

Checking in again. So that cyst that I had last time turned out to go away really quick once it came to a head after a few days. It didn't stick around. That was the last bad breakout I had in awhile. I really cleaned up my diet after that.

But then the Winter came. I dodged a HUGE bullet this Christmas by not indulging at all. But then it all fell apart as the Winter progressed. I was getting acne on my shoulders, but thought, "Hey, at least it's not on my face." So I kept indulging a bit here and there.

Well, the straw that broke the camel's back was when I ate 2 large jars of peanut butter in 2 weeks, had oily garlic bread loaded with cheese a couple times, and all and all just ate more carbs.

I ended up with a cysts on my jawline that aren't noticeable. But I have two right beside my nose that are sticking around and one is large and really painful. It's not coming to a head and is just really red. It's unsightly and painful.

I just want to say that sticking to the diet side of things is really, really hard.

Posted · Report post

Just want to say that going over my regime logs, it's almost like nothing is working for me. But I have had clear skin for months on end. Like literally 6 months straight at times. I only ever come on here when I'm broken out, giving the perception that nothing is working.

When the reality is, it is working. I just have to keep positive. It seems as though I'm prone to self-sabotage. Like, I know I shouldn't be eating copious amounts of grains/dairy. But I do. I love it. And then I break out. Always. The cycle continues.

It's like I hold off slipping off for so long, and then I say to myself, "Just this once." And then I eat it. Notice no breakouts. And think, "Well I can sneak a bit more." And then I do that a few more times. Then I have a full on binge a few times. And then BAM: BREAKOUT. Go on acne.org, read my log, and go back to what I was doing.

Why are we cursed with such sensitivies?

Posted · Report post

I found my last post to be pretty unclear. I was clear for months and then I broke out. What led to the breakout:

1) Stress from work

Work has been insane. New projects, new employees, all very stressful.

2) Refined carbohydrates and dairy

I haven't been eating as well as I should simply because of laziness and time. I became lazy mostly because my diet has been garbage. So it's taking a lot of work pulling myself out of this funk. But packing a really healthy meal for lunch makes all the difference!

3) Not taking my vitamins

I stopped taking Vitamin D and Zinc. I thought it was getting too expensive and I was, again, too lazy to go to the store and get them!

4) Not enough sunlight

It's Winter. By the end of Winter I always break out. I feel this has to do with the cumulative effects of not getting enough sunlight.

5) Humidity

I find that when it starts getting more humid and the seasons change, I always get a bit sick. I consider acne the equivalent of catching a cold.

6) Epsom Salt Baths

I started doing this to clear up my bacne. It brings all of the crap to the surface, luckily BP is there to kill it off.

7) Swimming

Because it's Summer, I started swimming again. The chlorine has a detoxifying effect on my skin. It brings all the crap to the surface.

8) Switching products

Spectro Acne Care is no longer at Shopper's Drug Mart. Therefore, I had to make the switch to Clearasil. I like it better because it dries much faster and soaks into my skin a lot quicker.

Things I do to solve it

Let me tell you, it's a lot of work pulling yourself out of this. My body just feels so run down.

1) Drink lots of water

Yesterday I spent the entire day peeing. Not even a joke.

2) Epsom Salt Baths

The same thing that broke me out I am continuing. My breakouts from this have subsided. What it does is it makes all the infections on my skin very, very red. That is the blood flow going towards them. If it's a deep infection, it begins to swell and swell some more. The blood attacks the infection and it puffs up. Then over a few days, it brings the infection up as a white head. I have never, ever been more happy to see a whitehead in my life. It's actually quite terrifying seeing your skin look like crap and wondering if it will ever come to a head!

3) Green Smoothies

Back on the train again, as I was before, but this time switching it up with spinach and kale. Not just kale.

4) Vitamin D and Zinc

I take about 100mg Zinc and 5000 IU Vitamin D. I will cut back once I'm clear again. I find this has a really positive effect on the oil slick that was my face before. I literally could FEEL the oil on my skin, now it feels so dry and normal again. I am attribute this greatly to these vitamins.

5) Dan Kern Regime TWICE

Since it's humid, I can pick the regime back up twice again. I may cut back/get lazy once my breakouts are clear.

6) Sunlight, sunlight, sunlight

Love that stuff, give me more.

7) Sleep

I find that after sleeping, my acne looks like it progressed quite a bit.

8) Clean towel

Sleep on a clean towel.

9) Avoid tight clothing

10) No dairy or refined carbs

I should state that I'm avoiding all dairy and simple carbohydrates to stablize my blood sugar.

11) Laughing more

12) Getting over yourself and putting yourself in social situations

In sum, I know this sounds like a lot. And it is like a full time job taking care of myself. But if I had simply kept it up with the whole diet thing I wouldn't have found myself in this mess!

Posted · Report post

Both of the huge puffy zits beside my nose bled like crazy last night. I woke up with blood all over my cheek! The swelling and redness has subsided. The rest of my face is clear. I can tell I am headed in the right direction.

It's funny how I started this log with being "fuck this holistic crap." But then found that it was actually a huge piece in keeping myself clear and preventing new breakouts.

By eating a low GI diet and cutting out milk, I was able to kick acne for good in the butt!

Posted · Report post

The weather changed, and so did my skin. AND WHEN THAT HAPPENS: ACNE. I got FOUR WHITEHEADS, side by side, on the bottom of my chin. It was burning and felt like my skin was so oily.

Why did this happen?

-weather (obvi)

I really want to touch on this point: DIET. Diet has been BY FAR THE HARDEST THING. Crappy food is literally EVERYWHERE. If it's cheap and easy to get it, it's probably really bad. And we all know that.

It's common sense, I get it.

But sticking to that common sense is hard. The past few weeks for me have been difficult with work and venturing on new projects. In that time I've sacrificed taking proper care of myself and eating nutrient rich food. Instead I opted for McDonald's and potato chips.

It's kind of dumb that I keep doing this to myself. But at least I know what to bring myself out of this mess.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Epsom Salt

I am writing about epsom salt as I feel it's greatly underrepresented online and a lot of the information out there doesn't reflect my skin type. So hopefully this will help someone.

About my skin

So I wouldn't call my skin terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Although that's not to say it hasn't greatly impacted my life including my career. I started getting acne around 12. It started to clear up when I became paleo and also vegetarian in my teens. I used to break out daily (2 - 3 new pimples a day) when I was off of my diet and eating crap.

I've always had persistent back acne my entire life. So that when people told me to do "nothing" to my skin, it didn't make sense (and yes, I've tried that). It didn't make sense because I had back acne that I did nothing with my entire life, and it was actually pretty severe at times.

The only thing that has kept my skin under control (without extreme dieting) has been benzoyl peroxide.

Note: I don't recommend the low, gi diet. If you can adhere to it: THAT'S GREAT! Good for you! For me, I CAN'T. I try SO HARD to stick to it. But it's impossible to NOT eat crap. I always slip up. That's why I recommend treating acne from all angles.

My skin now

Again, my skin is not terrible. It's just when I break out, it's usually one or two that are HUGE. Like really inflamed, red, angry zits that can be quite painful and sometimes leave marks (I only have one scar from a zit).

Back to Epsom Salt

Basically Epsom Salt makes my skin way worse before it gets better. It brings all of the crap to the surface, and I break out for 2-3 weeks while constantly on Epsom Salt.

Right now I went through an annual winter breakout when the weather changed (Oh, Canada). Then my house started undergoing renovations and I couldn't eat my proper food (i.e. low gi). So I opted for easier stuff.

That's when I started breaking out and it's been cyclical. All of the Epsom Salts are bringing the crap from inside up.

It's completely cleared up breakouts on my back and I've never been so clear while using it.

What I do is pour some into my bath under hot water, soak for 15 minutes, then do my cleanse with water, put on some BP and moisturize with salicylic acid.

If you want to keep your inside clean and avoid further breakouts, make sure to eat a very clean, low gi diet!

Edited by 5ive

Posted · Report post

Doing something unusual: checking in while clear! Despite crazy stress and not a perfect diet, I maintained my anti acne habits and have been clear for over a month.

Posted · Report post

Hi--your acne sounds very similar to mine. Can stay clear for a few weeks and then whammo, I get two cysts that hurt and take forever to go away. Keep positive and using BP. It sounds like you've made great progress.